• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's next for Nintendo?

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
If we get technical, FE is from the 2cond party company "intelligence systems". And i do remember that rule was talking about how hardcore Wii games get ignored if they are not from nitendo (and mainly Zelda or Mario... Metroid is just one of the least ignored).
its still a nintendo game. as long as nintendo makes it, who cares. when did this start?

GreenKirby you seriously think that the ps1 is better than the n64? i dont care about the sales. its the games that should count for. i mean i dont even know anyone that owns a ps1 and actually plays it. how can a hardcore gamer but a ps1 when sony was brand spankin new back then, they had no hardcore audiance yet.

Darkslash

Smash Master

I went to USA for a holiday and I bought some games that people told me were really great for wii. Ever since I bought them I started playing my wii a lot. It's all thanks to your prices :p. There are in fact a lot of great games out there that people should give a try.

And as a final note......

USA's prices>>>>>>Canada's Prices
Actually when you think about it When you add Taxes and stuff it equals about the same amount.

For the last time, the hardcore abandoned Nintendo first during the N64 in favor of Sony. And the fact that GCN was dead last didn't make the hardcore's case any better. What did you expect, try again a third time only to have hardcore still ignore them the third time? lol
This is truth. I mean they turn away during the last 2 gens, then when they see massive sales of the Wii they expect Nintendo to forgive them like that. I some times humor my self that the Hardcores are getting bit in the behind and Nintendo is firing the casual canon's because of the last 2 gens.

GreenKirby you seriously think that the ps1 is better than the n64? i dont care about the sales. its the games that should count for. i mean i dont even know anyone that owns a ps1 and actually plays it. how can a hardcore gamer but a ps1 when sony was brand spankin new back then, they had no hardcore audiance yet.
I think he meant that people bought the PS1 becuase of the CD and Memory cards stuff. The N64 even had a superior system build up.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
This is truth. I mean they turn away during the last 2 gens, then when they see massive sales of the Wii they expect Nintendo to forgive them like that. I some times humor my self that the Hardcores are getting bit in the behind and Nintendo is firing the casual canon's because of the last 2 gens.
what, no one liked the n64? i dont know what any of you people are talking about. all my friends back then had n64s.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
its still a nintendo game. as long as nintendo makes it, who cares. when did this start?

No I don't think the N64 is worse than the PS1. Even I think N64 > PS1

What I'm saying is that the hardcore abandoned Nintendo in favor of Sony thus leading to the PS1 outselling the N64 3:1. That's what I'm saying. Who cares if it was new. Nintendo was new once too you know.

Then, it happened again with the last generation only worse.

Then hardcore gamers have the nerve to complain when the Wii isn't aimed for them.

It's an cheating husband who leaves his wife and then begs her to take him back when he finds out she's better off and he isn't.

Am I glad that Nintendo is aiming towards casuals? **** NO!

Do I understand the clear actions and reasoning of Nintendo doing it moreso than many other core gamers? Sadly yes.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace

What I'm saying is that the hardcore abandoned Nintendo in favor of Sony thus leading to the PS1 outselling the N64 3:1. That's what I'm saying. Who cares if it was new. Nintendo was new once too you know.

Then, it happened again with the last generation only worse.

Then hardcore gamers have the nerve to complain when the Wii isn't aimed for them.

It's an cheating husband who leaves his wife and then begs her to take him back when he finds out she's better off and he isn't.

Am I glad that Nintendo is aiming towards casuals? **** NO!

Do I understand the clear actions and reasoning of Nintendo doing it moreso than many other core gamers? Sadly yes.
i know nintendo was new once but by 1995-96, they had a solid fan base. You make a good point. seeing all these games on the wii, i guess the system isnt aimed for hardcore players.

and why did everyone apparently leave nintendo for sony? if its cause of CD roms and a memory card, there stupid and shouldnt have a opinion on whats happening now. they obviously didnt care for nintendo for the past 12 years and now they finally start caring again, only to complain about hardcore titles? i dont think so.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
That's counterable, but I don't recall other games that has tripping
I'm listening.

So you would enjoy a Legend of Zelda game if it had good gameplay but for some reason, took place in space? [/QUOTE]

Terrible example. Super mario galaxy? Mario in space? Hell yeah, if the gameplay is addicting and fun, why not play it?

It has no logic because you're the one of people who are acting like it. I've seen in this part of the forum alone. The Zelda thread has 33 pages. The last time I saw Kirby thread only have 2 pages and it's page 4 of this forum.
Heck, the Mario Kart Wii thread had a lot pages.
Because Nintendo's failed to deliver a good Kirby game in how long?

And why else would 3rd party companies NOT put their games on Nintendo systems? Because they fear it won't sell well compared the 1st/2nd party titles.

Oh, how wrong you are. TOO many third parties are what's ruining the consoles. Proof? Watch this.

There is NO way that you can rightfully disagree that Nintendo is abanding hardcore gamers for all the soccer moms and little kids.

clockwerk

Smash Cadet
I dont really know what nintendo's future holds. But I do know that lots of people love them and are sending in suggestions every day for games and consoles. The next console they make will probably be some really cool looking like thing with graphics that'll be super amazing.
When does everyone think we're going to get the next Nintendo console? They originally stated that it was scheduled for a much shorter life span (2-3 years) than most major consoles, but that was obviously before they realized that it printed money.

I personally can actually see them releasing a new one sooner rather than later. Next year they might hit us with a new DS, then the next year with a Wii 2.0 or something to that effect. It would be a good move, too, in my humble opinion. Suddenly, they'd have virtually perfected motion controls via implemented WiiMotion+, and the price for HD graphical components would've come down considerably so they'd still be able to make a nice profit. So they drop the price on the original Wii to $150, then launch a Wii 2.0 at $250 with full backwards compatibility and 360/PS3-level graphics. It might take some heat initially, but it'd be a wonderful move financially.
Since basically Nintendo=handheld (save for a few games), I think they'll keep the DS out for a while. The next home console, however, is harder to predict. I think that it will be released in about one and a half years, at the earliest. If they do improve the graphics so that they're comparable to 360 and PS3, more than likely it will cost quite a bit more than the Wii does.

ok, were kind of getting off topic here. not really talking about which system is better, were talking about what nintendos future looks like.
*cough*Beab,SeaPanda*cough*

What are you TALKING about? Wii sucks! Seriously, the only thing it's good for is classic games.

Honestly, what I've gotten from wii is a few classic games replays, and super mario galaxy.

It ruined Mario Kart (to a certain extent), it ruined smash, and the Zelda controls were terrible. That's the only core titles they've released. All i see is "blah blah cooking" "Wii fit" "Gay party game title 1" "Mini games etc"

Nintendo ruined their great reputation. If they want it back, they need to work hard for it. Their whole mentality pisses me off. Basically, they say, "screw core gamers, let's get granny to play video games!"

It's ridiculous, compare the wii physics/graphics to ps2. Exactly the same.
Of course, this is a terrible place to attempt a debate with all the Nintendo fanboys.
This begs the question: Since you hate Nintendo so much, you continue to post in a Nintendo-based forum why?

i bought zelda for the gamecube so i didnt use the crappy motion controls but i can agree it ruined smash.
well, the wiimote ruined smash, at any rate. Thank God we can still use GC.

Forgive me for going off topic a bit myself, some responses were just nagging at me.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
You are the BIGGEST fanboy I have ever "met." I thought maybe that's why you have been trying to defend Nintendo when they have nothing to be defended by.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
*cough*Beab,SeaPanda*cough*

This begs the question: Since you hate Nintendo so much, you continue to post in a Nintendo-based forum why?

well, the wiimote ruined smash, at any rate. Thank God we can still use GC.

Forgive me for going off topic a bit myself, some responses were just nagging at me.
dude that was awesome you just like owned them. and i guess me a little. nice.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
No, it's a smash based forum, a good chunk of the Melee tournament seen doesn't like Brawl, and the wii in general. Just because 90% of a console's games suck doesn't mean that it's bad. I enjoy some Nintendo games, but I'm simply arguing the fact that Nintendo has completely ignored hardcore gamers. Their games have no depth.

(Also, wii remote didn't ruin it. Lack of hitstun, multiple aridodge, floatiness, and lack of shield lag ruined it.)

Darkslash

Smash Master
There is NO way that you can rightfully disagree that Nintendo is abanding hardcore gamers for all the soccer moms and little kids.
Its the opposite. Do you think Nintendo would go after casuals if the Hard Core bought the N64 or Gamcube?

Of course not. But what did the Hard Core do? They went for Sony and Microsoft.

So does that give them the right to complain Nintendo abandoned them?

Of course not.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Its the opposite. Do you think Nintendo would go after casuals if the Hard Core bought the N64 or Gamcube?

Of course not. But what did the Hard Core do? They went for Sony and Microsoft.

So does that give them the right to complain Nintendo abandoned them?

Of course not.
They can get BOTH.

A great example is Melee. Both casuals and hardcore gamers LOVED it. It catered to both. Just by leaving things in (combos) they ensured that both parties would love their game. You can say they tried to do this again with letting people use the GC controller, but then they added things like tripping.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
You are the BIGGEST fanboy I have ever "met." I thought maybe that's why you have been trying to defend Nintendo when they have nothing to be defended by.
are you kidding me? just cause he likes the n64 over the crappy ps1, doesnt mean hes a fanboy. why the **** are you even here if you hate nintendo so much, go join a sony or microsoft forum site. this site is smash, which is MADE by NINTENDO!!!!! dont know if you knew this or not. you obviously dont. you've been doing nothing except saying how horrible the wii is, sure its not perfect but its still a good system. and if your a meleeist then get out of here, we dont want a stupid thing starting again.

Darkslash

Smash Master
They can get BOTH.

A great example is Melee. Both casuals and hardcore gamers LOVED it. It catered to both. Just by leaving things in (combos) they ensured that both parties would love their game. You can say they tried to do this again with letting people use the GC controller, but then they added things like tripping.
Well they got Both during the NGC era and what did the Hardcore do? They still left them. So Nintendo is returning the favor. Ditching them. When the Hardcore start crying for Nintendo to come back they will leave them again, and start crying again and again and again...

Also tripping has become the main thing you use in your arguments. Tripping this tripping that. We can all agree that Brawl isn't a master piece.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Yeah, I'm the biggest fanboy here. Let's ignore the fact that the consoles I own before I got the N64 was the Sega Genesis and the Sega Game Gear.

Fool.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Oh, goody.

are you kidding me? just cause he likes the n64 over the crappy ps1, doesnt mean hes a fanboy.
You calling PS1 crappy makes you a fanboy. It was a great console, as well as the N64.

why the **** are you even here if you hate nintendo so much, go join a sony or microsoft forum site. this site is smash, which is MADE by NINTENDO!!!!!]

I'm here for smash. I love smash, Melee and 64 are one of the best, if not the best games ever made for competitive play. I honestly don't post on that many forums because I have no need to. This forum used to be great until early this year when all the twelve year old middle school kids joined. Yes smash is made by Nintendo, just an example of what Nintendo has potential to do. dont know if you knew this or not. you obviously dont.

you've been doing nothing except saying how horrible the wii is, sure its not perfect but its still a good system. and if your a meleeist then get out of here, we dont want a stupid thing starting again.

The Wii, in my opinion, is horrible. I used to LOVE Nintendo, and I still love their classics. I loved the N64 like a child, the gamecube was good for a few games, and now the wii sucks. It's failed to deliver me anything except for Super Paper Mario.

As for a Melee vs. Brawl debate, I'm not starting it because it's futile.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
You calling PS1 crappy makes you a fanboy. It was a great console, as well as the N64.
do you even know the defination of a fanboy??? ok then if the ps1 is so amazing, name all its "great" games. was their even anything good about the ps1? ok then, defending the ps1 makes you a fanboy too.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I'm listening.

So you would enjoy a Legend of Zelda game if it had good gameplay but for some reason, took place in space?
Terrible example. Super mario galaxy? Mario in space? Hell yeah, if the gameplay is addicting and fun, why not play it?[/QUOTE]

Super Mario Galaxy is different because it still had feautres of previous games (characters, music, gameplay) even if it does takes place in space

Fine, let me clearify. Say that there's a new Mario game coming out. It's challenging and has good gameplay. But something's not right:

There are no other Mario characters besides Mario himself (ie no Princess, no Bowser, no Toads, Goombas, etc)

The game takes place in an area that's totally not Mario (a violent gory warzone or whatever)

And if that's not enough, Mario's personality has changed. In this game he's swearing, nymphomaniac.

Would you still buy it, play it, and it JUST because it has good gameplay?

Because Nintendo's failed to deliver a good Kirby game in how long?
Kirby's Squeak Squad 0n the DS was the last one and it gotten decent reviews. And it wasn't that long ago. But nooooooooo, the hardcore only care about Mario and Zelda. Nothing else apperantly matters to them

Oh, how wrong you are. TOO many third parties are what's ruining the consoles. Proof? Watch this./
Well I can't right now. But I still stand by the fact that 3rd parties don't make games for Nintendo in fear it won't sell to well.

I'm not. I'm just giving reasons that it's not 100% Nintendo's fault. And I'm gonna keep saying this until the point gets across.

Lol Sega :laugh:

That means nothing. You're unreasonably bias towards Nintendo, and therefore, are a fanboy.
This is a topic about Nintendo. And I'm trying to get people to think outside their comfort zone.

If this topic had a lot of unnesscary bias towards Sega, I would be defending Sega in those points as well.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
The fun never ends!

do you even know the defination of a fanboy???
Fanboy (sometimes spelled fanboi) is a term used to describe any individual who is devoted to a single subject in an emotional or fanatical manner, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession. -wikipedia

ok then if the ps1 is so amazing, name all its "great" games.
I basically agree with most of THESE.

was their even anything good about the ps1? ok then, defending the ps1 makes you a fanboy too.
No, it doesn't. Because I loved the N64, in fact, I loved some games more than games on PS1. But overall, the PS1 had a better group of games. But individually, N64 was the best.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
The fun never ends!

Fanboy (sometimes spelled fanboi) is a term used to describe any individual who is devoted to a single subject in an emotional or fanatical manner, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession. -wikipedia

I basically agree with most of THESE.

No, it doesn't. Because I loved the N64, in fact, I loved some games more than games on PS1. But overall, the PS1 had a better group of games. But individually, N64 was the best.
you are such a hypocrite. now your saying the n64 is the best. cough fanboy cough. wow, great source for your fanboy description. too bad wikipedia isnt creditble in anything, i always tell my friend this.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Fine, let me clearify. Say that there's a new Mario game coming out. It's challenging and has good gameplay. But something's not right:

There are no other Mario characters besides Mario himself (ie no Princess, no Bowser, no Toads, Goombas, etc)

The game takes place in an area that's totally not Mario (a violent gory warzone or whatever)

And if that's not enough, Mario's personality has changed. In this game he's swearing, nymphomaniac.

Would you still buy it, play it, and it JUST because it has good gameplay?
Before I answer this, that's ridiculously exaggerated, and would never be that bad. But here's my answer:

I would buy a game with Mario, even if it had "naughty" language, even if there was blood, even if it was in a warzone, if it was fun.

Here's a prime example: Ever heard of conker's bad fur day? BRILLIANT game by rare. COMPLETELY changed conker's personality.

Kirby's Squeak Squad 0n the DS was the last one and it gotten decent reviews. And it wasn't that long ago. But nooooooooo, the hardcore only care about Mario and Zelda. Nothing else apperantly matters to them
Last amazing game I've played all the way through was Kirby 64, which was one of the most amazing games I have EVER played.

I'm not. I'm just giving reasons that it's not 100% Nintendo's fault. And I'm gonna keep saying this until the point gets across.
It's not 100%, but it's 90%. When it all comes down to it, Nintendo has the final say. They can appeal to both audiences.

This is a topic about Nintendo. And I'm trying to get people to think outside their comfort zone.

If this topic had a lot of unnesscary bias towards Sega, I would be defending Sega in those points as well.
Sure, but if it was Mircrosoft or Sony, you'd have no argument because (Judging by your arguments) you've never owned one of there consoles, or at least played enough games on them to understand.

You guys seem so angry, i'm just having a blast.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
you are such a hypocrite. now your saying the n64 is the best. cough fanboy cough.
No, I'm not a hypocrite. I never said I hated the N64, and I'm obviously not a fanboy because I said i like Sony as well. I also never said it was the BEST.

wow, great source for your fanboy description. too bad wikipedia isnt creditble in anything, i always tell my friend this

Wikipedia is credible when it all comes down to it. Usable for school reports? Probably not the safest, but vandalism is fixed in the blink of an eye. That not good enough? Fine. Look HERE.

Sorry if these are taking a while to write. Watching family guy and spell checking is hard.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
i sadly have to agree with Beab there about the kirby games. There hasnt been a decent kirby game in years. ive played a few of them and there all super repetitive. sucking people for powers, 2-D, using the powers on other enemies.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
No, I'm not a hypocrite. I never said I hated the N64, and I'm obviously not a fanboy because I said i like Sony as well. I also never said it was the BEST.

Wikipedia is credible when it all comes down to it. Usable for school reports? Probably not the safest, but vandalism is fixed in the blink of an eye. That not good enough? Fine. Look HERE.

Sorry if these are taking a while to write. Watching family guy and spell checking is hard.
"sorry for double posting" well i like microsoft a lot too. i have an xbox and if i had enough money, i would buy a 360.

and for the link you gave me, its just a url to other urls to wikipedia. just cause were defending nintendo, doesnt make us fanboys.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
i sadly have to agree with Beab there about the kirby games. There hasnt been a decent kirby game in years. ive played a few of them and there all super repetitive. sucking people for powers, 2-D, using the powers on other enemies.
It's true, although you can say that any game series is repetitive. If Squeak Squad is good, then I made rent it/pick it up.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
"sorry for double posting" well i like microsoft a lot too. i have an xbox and if i had enough money, i would buy a 360.

and for the link you gave me, its just a url to other urls to wikipedia. just cause were defending nintendo, doesnt make us fanboys.
My bad, http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fanboy

It you can't admit that Nintendo ignores their hardcore audience, you are indeed, a fanboy. I can admit tons of flaws in things I like:

Xbox 360 has too many shooters, WoW has unbalanced classes, PCs have terrible security, macs can't run executable files (which isn't always bad, I suppose)

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Before I answer this, that's ridiculously exaggerated, and would never be that bad. But here's my answer:

I would buy a game with Mario, even if it had "naughty" language, even if there was blood, even if it was in a warzone, if it was fun.

Here's a prime example: Ever heard of conker's bad fur day? BRILLIANT game by rare. COMPLETELY changed conker's personality.
Conker only has like one game before that and it wasn't even popular.

But I'm talking about a more establish franchises.

And yes, similar things like this have happened before for the worse. I'd called it DK jungle beat. Got rid of all the characters and made DK a bully at the expense for solely gameplay that wasn't even all that good.

It's not 100%, but it's 90%. When it all comes down to it, Nintendo has the final say. They can appeal to both audiences.
It's called the Gamecube. And it still failed. And I'd say it's 50/50. Supply and demand. Nintendo supplied; the hardcore didn't demand. And why would Nintendo cater to hardcore when they abandoned them for 2 generations. Logically, that's like girl staying with her abused boyfriend.

Sure, but if it was Mircrosoft or Sony, you'd have no argument because (Judging by your arguments) you've never owned one of there consoles, or at least played enough games on them to understand.

You guys seem so angry, i'm just having a blast.
I admit I never played the other consoles (though I usually get more inclined to get a 360) But if I did, and their fans abandoned them and they decided to cater to casuals, I would be defending them the same way.

Darkslash

Smash Master

Well then its not a Mario game. Its a Gears of War wannabe with a character textured to look like Mario. Also Conker has always been the swearing killing squirrel. The Conker in Diddy Kong racing was just so the game wouldn't get a M rating.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
My bad, http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fanboy

It you can't admit that Nintendo ignores their hardcore audience, you are indeed, a fanboy. I can admit tons of flaws in things I like:

Xbox 360 has too many shooters, WoW has unbalanced classes, PCs have terrible security, macs can't run executable files (which isn't always bad, I suppose)
dude i know nintendo is slapping the faces of their hardcore gamers. i also debate this of my friend because he is truely a nintendo fanboy. he knows it, i know it. ya the 360 has too many shooters, but its still a great system.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
And yes, similar things like this have happened before for the worse. I'd called it DK jungle beat. Got rid of all the characters and made DK a bully at the expense for solely gameplay that wasn't even all that good.
Never played it, can't judge. You take a character out of a game like Diddy Kong racing and start making him give sexual, profane remarks, it's a big change.

It's called the Gamecube. And it still failed. And I'd say it's 50/50. Supply and demand. Nintendo supplied; the hardcore didn't demand. And why would Nintendo cater to hardcore when they abandoned them for 2 generations. Logically, that's like girl staying with her abused boyfriend.
No, because smart marketing is nothing like an abusive relationship. They could get ALl the casuals, and grab some hardcores.

EDIT: Going to bed, might talk more after homework, but I wouldn't count on it, because after practice I usually only have like 3-4 hours left, and 2-3 used on homework.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Let's, um, try to take this back on track now. ^_^;; It's gonna get closed otherwise, and this topic does have relevance.

Since basically Nintendo=handheld (save for a few games), I think they'll keep the DS out for a while. The next home console, however, is harder to predict. I think that it will be released in about one and a half years, at the earliest. If they do improve the graphics so that they're comparable to 360 and PS3, more than likely it will cost quite a bit more than the Wii does.
The one and a half years is about what I was thinking, somewhere in 2010. Next year is way too early, but any after that might feel a bit prolonged. I don't think it would cost a terrible deal more. The XBOX 360 Arcade is already retailing for $199, and in two years the price for those components will have dropped even more, so a price point of $250 for a Wii 2.0 doesn't seem too far off to me, particularly if it's still only running a DVD drive.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
Well then its not a Mario game. Its a Gears of War wannabe with a character textured to look like Mario. Also Conker has always been the swearing killing squirrel. The Conker in Diddy Kong racing was just so the game wouldn't get a M rating.
If I'm correct conker had a game out for the gameboy prior to conkers bad fur day and he didn't swear in that game either. And Diddy Kong Racing came out before Conkers bad fur day.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Reggie and Miyamoto said that the storage solution isn't going to be a Hard Drive. Plus with that Patent on Holographic memory i'm think that they are refining that tech as we speak.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Reggie and Miyamoto said that the storage solution isn't going to be a Hard Drive. Plus with that Patent on Holographic memory i'm think that they are refining that tech as we speak.
Flash memory is not classified as a hard disk drive, the chances of a Holo drive being released for the Wii and being at an affordable price are pretty low, although there are many other solutions.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
To Bowser King, Fire Emblem is a nintendo game. but then again i dont like fire emblem so im getting nowhere with this.
But it's not Mario or Zelda. That's why it has like 6 pages in the FE:RD thread.

Ok, I'll stop now :p.

Actually when you think about it When you add Taxes and stuff it equals about the same amount.
Actually, the taxes are one of the major things that lower it. I think they have 6% for taxes while we have 13-14% :ohwell:.

Top Bottom