• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's next for Nintendo?

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
I think the future looks good for nintendo. They will come out with an innovative console. Thought the 3rd party support kind of sucks. Sony and Microsoft don't really have much going due to them not bringing innovation to the table.
Lolz. Yeah, Microsoft and Sony have nothing going for them. Sure, they have superior online, better graphics, better games, and better DLC. But the Wii is obviously vastly superior.

But in all seriousness, the Wii just sucks.The only reason that it's on top right now is because of casual gamers. I wouldn't even have bought one if it wasn't for Brawl. And what you call "innovation" I call stupid gimmick.

Teh_Pwn'z_Lord

Smash Cadet
Los Angeles Califonia, the exact border of South G
Lolz. Yeah, Microsoft and Sony have nothing going for them. Sure, they have superior online, better graphics, better games, and better DLC. But the Wii is obviously vastly superior.

But in all seriousness, the Wii just sucks.The only reason that it's on top right now is because of casual gamers. I wouldn't even have bought one if it wasn't for Brawl. And what you call "innovation" I call stupid gimmick.
Apparently people can't read the part about the next generation :dizzy:

Red Exodus

Smash Master
No one knows what next gen is going to be like, remember the PS3 boomerang controller or the gamecube shell for the Wiimote? We thought those would be in this gen but they're not and those rumors came around the end of last gen [when things we being finalized] so there's no point in following rumors about next gen this early in this gen.

Darkslash

Smash Master
So is Sixaxis a gimmick? If it isn't then ohh boy... the Dual Shock is completely fine with out SIXAXIS in my opinion.

Any ways Dev's are getting Wii Speak and WM+ Kits recently. Which could mean that WM+ Is coming out some time in late December to February. One game i seriously want to see on the Wii with WM+ is mount and Blade. That game is awesome.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
What would you change about the Wii?

When would you start advertising games? And how?

How would you handle the whole hardcore vs. casual thing?
What would I change about the wii? only have nintendo make the games with motion controls because third parties suck at making them.

Advertisment? probably a couple months before release. Not like brawl where they announce something in 2006 and release it almost two years later.

The whole hardcore vs. casual thing? make games for both. have the motion control games for the casual and the good 'ol controller and classic franchises for hardcore like zelda.

well at first it was the best, now that nintendos main games are out and disappointed a lot of people, its starting to crumble. considering nintendo made mario and brawl for "newcomers and casual audiance" when they know mario is pretty hardcore and smash is like thee biggest competitive game ever.

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
They did make it for "newcomers and casual audience." It was to draw people in and get them familiar with the hardcore franchises. The real fans will like it anyway, and Then they'll assuredly buy the next installment. Also, the motion controls are only done right with nintendo. There are still a lot of third party games that are worth your time, but most people just try to do "casual" games with crappy controls

Sad Panda, if you don't like it, stop posting in the thread. What you are saying adds absolutely nothing to the discussion.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
It is, except there isn't stupid motion controls for every Playstation 3 game.
And there aren't stupid motion controls in every Wii game. There are good ones, certainly, and there are games that utilize no motion controls at all.

The SIXAXIS controls end up feeling more tacked-on when it comes right down to it. At least with the Wii it was meant to be like that.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
All of that is last generation, they called it the Xbox, and it was the best system(unless you were a fanboy that is).

Gimmicks, you call it that why, because what Nintendo did has caught on and been successfull?
It is a selling point, just like the PS3s Blu-Ray support, or how the Xbox360 has more comfortable controllers and a better online service than the PS3.

The SIXAXIS controls end up feeling more tacked-on when it comes right down to it. At least with the Wii it was meant to be like that.
As in, the Wii controls can be utilized well, and make the game feel intuitive and precise, that is what the Wii was meant to be like, not that it always has been.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
ok, were kind of getting off topic here. not really talking about which system is better, were talking about what nintendos future looks like. so like what should we bring up for discussion. im running out of ideas.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
When does everyone think we're going to get the next Nintendo console? They originally stated that it was scheduled for a much shorter life span (2-3 years) than most major consoles, but that was obviously before they realized that it printed money.

I personally can actually see them releasing a new one sooner rather than later. Next year they might hit us with a new DS, then the next year with a Wii 2.0 or something to that effect. It would be a good move, too, in my humble opinion. Suddenly, they'd have virtually perfected motion controls via implemented WiiMotion+, and the price for HD graphical components would've come down considerably so they'd still be able to make a nice profit. So they drop the price on the original Wii to $150, then launch a Wii 2.0 at $250 with full backwards compatibility and 360/PS3-level graphics. It might take some heat initially, but it'd be a wonderful move financially. With backwards compatibility, both systems would be able to sell concurrently with nobody being left out in the rain, and at a sub-$300 price point the 2.0 system would still be a relative bargain.

[What follows will be some more of my ideas, but they're more rambling that anything. Feel free to skip ahead. :D]

-The 2.0 Wiimotes would be the standard Wiimotes with integrated WiiMotion+, and the originals would be completely compatible so long as you had the attachment.

-It would maintain all of the features of the original Wii, including compatibility with all games and peripherals. Hopefully, you'd be able to transfer VC game ownership via some sort of cable or wireless system.

-DVD Playback. With the homebrew that's come out recently, Nintendo can no longer arbitrarily leave out DVD playback as a standard feature.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Please, no XBOX portable. That's just asking for fail. If you ask me, Nintendo will always be the king of handhelds. I know PSP has some good games like War of the Lions, and better graphics, and it can play blue-ray blah blah blah. But the DS is more innovative, with a more diverse and fun game collection...

But I digress. No, Nintendo will never run out of ideas. Can you really think that after they busted out the Wii and DS? They've changed gaming forever. Thing is, I don't know how they'll top that. I hope they don't make the successor to the DS a handheld with 3 screens. Same for Wii... Is every home console they make from now on gonna have motion controls? It'd be a step backwards if not, but they also can't just make the same thing over and over. Quite the sticky wicket, that.
What are you TALKING about? Wii sucks! Seriously, the only thing it's good for is classic games.

Honestly, what I've gotten from wii is a few classic games replays, and super mario galaxy.

It ruined Mario Kart (to a certain extent), it ruined smash, and the Zelda controls were terrible. That's the only core titles they've released. All i see is "blah blah cooking" "Wii fit" "Gay party game title 1" "Mini games etc"

Nintendo ruined their great reputation. If they want it back, they need to work hard for it. Their whole mentality pisses me off. Basically, they say, "screw core gamers, let's get granny to play video games!"

It's ridiculous, compare the wii physics/graphics to ps2. Exactly the same.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
What are you TALKING about? Wii sucks! Seriously, the only thing it's good for is classic games.

Honestly, what I've gotten from wii is a few classic games replays, and super mario galaxy.
It ruined Mario Kart (to a certain extent), it ruined smash, and the Zelda controls were terrible. That's the only core titles they've released. All i see is "blah blah cooking" "Wii fit" "Gay party game title 1" "Mini games etc"
Yeah I know. It's not like the Wii had any Metroid titles, or a Wario title, or Mario RPG title, or , a Sonic title, or any other hardcore 3rd party title, or a title that features antcent (sp) Nintendo characters.

Nintendo ruined their great reputation. If they want it back, they need to work hard for it. Their whole mentality pisses me off. Basically, they say, "screw core gamers, let's get granny to play video games!"

Yeah, they need to go back to the hardcore gamers like they did in the N64 and GCN generation. Boy it's a good thing a lot of people bought those two systems compared to the Xbox and PS2

Sheesh, just when I thought idiotic hardcore gamers couldn't get any dumber and more self-centered

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Ahhhh, FE: Radiant Dawn. Considered the hardest of all the U.S. released FE games, yet no one here praise it for its challenging gameplay. Such a shame the hardcore really is. lol

Oh and how could I forget the Pokemon title?
Agreed. It is hard (especially on hard difficulty). Having to use Machiah on the final stage is extremely difficult, but stuff like that makes the game so great.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace

dude what are YOU talking about? mario kart wii is the best yet. i mean i dont use the wii wheel but its a great game. i bought zelda for the gamecube so i didnt use the crappy motion controls but i can agree it ruined smash. ill finish this reply later

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Sheesh, just when I thought idiotic hardcore gamers couldn't get any dumber and more self-centered
I think you're missing the point. ALL of those games have been dumbed down. They made them all so much easier, again, catering to casuals. They FORCE motion sensing on you in 90% of the games the publish. It's not like they can't support BOTH parties, they just choose to ignore one.

Of course, this is a terrible place to attempt a debate with all the Nintendo fanboys.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
dude what are YOU talking about? mario kart wii is the best yet. i mean i dont use the wii wheel but its a great game. i bought zelda for the gamecube so i didnt use the crappy motion controls but i can agree it ruined smash. ill finish this reply later
If you think the new drift system is better than the others, then you haven't played it to it's max potential.

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
Unlike other people, I don't mind the new drift mechanics.... And I was great at snaking. I prefer the wii wheel, it's just how I work (FnF player lawlz)

What's next for nintendo is more harder hardcore titles, so that both the newcomers who came to like the series and the hardcore crowd will be happy

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I think you're missing the point. ALL of those games have been dumbed down. They made them all so much easier, again, catering to casuals. They FORCE motion sensing on you in 90% of the games the publish. It's not like they can't support BOTH parties, they just choose to ignore one.

Of course, this is a terrible place to attempt a debate with all the Nintendo fanboys.
You know, if they were truly 100% ignoring the hardcore in Galaxy, Brawl, whatever, why are there classic Nintendo content that only the hardcore would know about?

Why is it that core gamers only think gameplay makes the game? Sure, it's a very important part but it's not the only part. Surely you would want play a Mario game, with Mario characters, Mario humor, Mario style art. Not play some random game with Mario in that looks nothing like Mario or even have any past characters.

If you think the new drift system is better than the others, then you haven't played it to it's max potential.
Isn't proven that Manual is superior to Automatic anyway? If so, your claim is null and void

And just how many of those games are actually good? Other than FE.
Well 2 of them are not released yet. DK Barrel Blast is HIGHLY underrated. And with the exception of PBR, I checked any possible reception page and they were usually met with positivity.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Ahhhh, FE: Radiant Dawn. Considered the hardest of all the U.S. released FE games, yet no one here praise it for its challenging gameplay. Such a shame the hardcore really is. lol

Oh and how could I forget the Pokemon title?

Or the Mega Man title?

Or another Sonic title?

Or the (Highly underrated) DK title?

Or another 3rd party title?

Or a Final Fantasy title?

Or a Tomb Raider title?
It sucks we don't have any....

Nights Title
or
More 3rd Party Title
A crazy soccer game
A crazy baseball game

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace

I think he was talking about FE10, hardest FE in the US (but a pie compared to FE4 and a CAKE compared to FE5... That game is near imposible... but i still love it).

Anyway, I´m quite amased no-one had talked about ToS: DotNW or tales of the world: Radiant mitology 2 or fragile (No love to great namco?)

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Bowser King, I so love you in a totally non sexual way. lol

I think he was talking about FE10, hardest FE in the US (but a pie compared to FE4 and a CAKE compared to FE5... That game is near imposible... but i still love it).

Anyway, I´m quite amased no-one had talked about ToS: DotNW or tales of the world: Radiant mitology 2 or fragile (No love to great namco?)
Of course you don't see anyone talking about those games.

You see this is the 'hardcore' gamer's logic:

If the hardcore Wii game is not made by Nintendo, it doesn't count
If it is made by Nintendo but it isn't Mario or Zelda, it still doesn't count

And I get more amazed about how they can't fathom Nintendo's reason for ditching the hardcore. lol

Bowser King

Have It Your Way

I went to USA for a holiday and I bought some games that people told me were really great for wii. Ever since I bought them I started playing my wii a lot. It's all thanks to your prices :p. There are in fact a lot of great games out there that people should give a try.

And as a final note......

USA's prices>>>>>>Canada's Prices

flame013191

Smash Cadet
I dont really know what nintendo's future holds. But I do know that lots of people love them and are sending in suggestions every day for games and consoles. The next console they make will probably be some really cool looking like thing with graphics that'll be super amazing.

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace

I went to America for a holiday and I bought some games that people told me were really great for wii. Ever since I bought them I started playing my wii a lot. It's all thanks to your prices :p. There are in fact a lot of great games out there that people should give a try.

And as a final note......

America's prices>>>>>>Canada's Prices
Off topic... but please, please, america is a continent, not a country like the united states... My point is ¨It´s a litle rude and lacks some culture to call a country like if it were a continent. Like calling Spain, Europe; or Africa a country instead of a continent¨. Sorry if i´m being rude but that is annoying to some people (including me) and i had dealed whit that like more than 9000 times...

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Off topic... but please, please, america is a continent, not a country like the united states... My point is ¨It´s a litle rude and lacks some culture to call a country like if it were a continent. Like calling Spain, Europe; or Africa a country instead of a continent¨. Sorry if i´m being rude but that is annoying to some people (including me) and i had dealed whit that like more than 9000 times...
Sorry :(. Almost everyone here says it that way.

*goes to edit*

Ojanya

Smash Ace
You know, if they were truly 100% ignoring the hardcore in Galaxy, Brawl, whatever, why are there classic Nintendo content that only the hardcore would know about?
One word: Tripping.

Why is it that core gamers only think gameplay makes the game? Sure, it's a very important part but it's not the only part. Surely you would want play a Mario game, with Mario characters, Mario humor, Mario style art. Not play some random game with Mario in that looks nothing like Mario or even have any past characters.
First of all, i don't know WHERE this came from, but none the less, i intend to answer it. First off, I think gameplay is basically ALL that matters. Why are people still playing street fighter? Because it's gameplay is amazing, no one cares that's it's 2D. In fact, they love it, it's a classic.

Isn't proven that Manual is superior to Automatic anyway? If so, your claim is null and void
Ignorance makes debating so much easier. In every other mario kart, you could "snake" across the road. This is impossible now, as the mini turbo is determined by how long you're drifting, rather than the skill of moving the D-pad while driving. It was pretty technical, and by removing it, Nintendo once again caters to casuals.

Ojanya

Smash Ace

Of course you don't see anyone talking about those games.

You see this is the 'hardcore' gamer's logic:

If the hardcore Wii game is not made by Nintendo, it doesn't count
If it is made by Nintendo but it isn't Mario or Zelda, it still doesn't count

And I get more amazed about how they can't fathom Nintendo's reason for ditching the hardcore. lol
That has absolutely NO logic behind. Show me one source.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
If you want proof look at the FE thread or No more heroes sales. Great games, but lack of being a Nintendo series ruined there sales. I hope people buy Conduit, this is the last hope and If after that people still complain about not getting harcore games, I'm going to blow.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
"getting off topic sorry" i know the drift system is horrible, i tried manual once and hated it. I always use automatic.

If you want proof look at the FE thread or No more heroes sales. Great games, but lack of being a Nintendo series ruined there sales. I hope people buy Conduit, this is the last hope and If after that people still complain about not getting harcore games, I'm going to blow.
Thats not the point. Were not talking about other game developers making hardcore games, its nintendo here. If Conduit is a great game then good but its nintendo abandoning their hardcore audiance that they built for so many years. Just so they can make these gimmicky games for 5 year olds and their grandpas and expect it for everyone to love is not gonna happen.

To Bowser King, Fire Emblem is a nintendo game. but then again i dont like fire emblem so im getting nowhere with this.

And im defiantely not a nintendo fanboy, i wish i bought a 360 instead of the wii half the time. Its just nintendos my favorite out of the three main game developers.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
One word: Tripping.
That's counterable, but I don't recall other games that has tripping

First of all, i don't know WHERE this came from, but none the less, i intend to answer it. First off, I think gameplay is basically ALL that matters. Why are people still playing street fighter? Because it's gameplay is amazing, no one cares that's it's 2D. In fact, they love it, it's a classic.
So you would enjoy a Legend of Zelda game if it had good gameplay but for some reason, took place in space? Or a violent Mario game because it has good gameplay? Or a Pokemon game where the first 495 monsters are gone and in replacement: Teddy Bears?

Thats not the point. Were not talking about other game developers making hardcore games, its nintendo here. If Conduit is a great game then good but its nintendo abandoning their hardcore audiance that they built for so many years. Just so they can make these gimmicky games for 5 year olds and their grandpas and expect it for everyone to love is not gonna happen.

For the last time, the hardcore abandoned Nintendo first during the N64 in favor of Sony. And the fact that GCN was dead last didn't make the hardcore's case any better. What did you expect, try again a third time only to have hardcore still ignore them the third time? lol

It has no logic because you're the one of people who are acting like it. I've seen in this part of the forum alone. The Zelda thread has 33 pages. The last time I saw Kirby thread only have 2 pages and it's page 4 of this forum.
Heck, the Mario Kart Wii thread had a lot pages.

And why else would 3rd party companies NOT put their games on Nintendo systems? Because they fear it won't sell well compared the 1st/2nd party titles.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Gameplay should not at all be the main focus of a game. Gameplay should be completely transparent, allowing for full enjoyment of the narrative without taking away from the experience. A game that focuses only on gameplay is little more than a toy or distraction--without any sort of narrative, the motivation to progress can come only from external sources and the game itself cannot be relied upon to inspire the player to continue playing.

But that's just further off topic. My bad.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
For the last time, the hardcore abandoned Nintendo first during the N64 in favor of Sony. And the fact that GCN was dead last didn't make the hardcore's case any better. What did you expect, try again a third time only to have hardcore still ignore them the third time? lol
are you kidding me? the PS1 was horrible to the N64 and that the N64 has like the greatest games ever. i mean i know the gamecube sucked except for a few titles but the n64??? no way. OMG discs and memory cards on PS1, who gives a crap. it was more advanced than the n64 but as long as the games were horrible, doesnt matter. in fact thats the system that got me into video games.

sorry for going off topic

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
To Bowser King, Fire Emblem is a nintendo game. but then again i dont like fire emblem so im getting nowhere with this.....
If we get technical, FE is from the 2cond party company "intelligence systems". And i do remember that rule was talking about how hardcore Wii games get ignored if they are not from nitendo (and mainly Zelda or Mario... Metroid is just one of the least ignored).

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Yes, PS1 was horrible as no hardcore gamer bought. I guess that's why it outsold the N64 3 to 1. *roll eyes*

Top Bottom