• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would DLC include for SSB Ultimate?

mcmaster52

Smash Rookie
NNID
eliman888
3DS FC
1633-4732-6440
My Ideas:
  • Waluigi- sense everyone wants him, it would make Nintendo LOADS of money.
  • Rayman- with his recent appearances on Nintendo consoles, it's a possibility.
  • Crash- sense the new Crash game is coming to switch, it is very likely
  • Geno- please, just please.
Post your ideas in the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Rex and Spring Man sounds like candidates if they do not hit the base roster. I'm also hoping for these guys if they don't go into the base roster

King K Rool
Dixie Kong
Simon
Crash
Geno
Impa or Skull Kid
Pokemon Rep
Classic fighter

That's off the top of my head

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Characters wise, I could see the likes of ARM's Springman, Xenoblade Chronicles 2's Rex & Pyra and one of the Fire Emblem: Three Houses characters act as DLC candidates.

Stages wise is very hard to say at the moment.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
3rd party DLCs are the money makers for nintendo. If I were nintendo, I'd want to make extra money from special guest characters that I'd have to obtain rights for. Whichever characters that will sell the most: Sora, Rayman, Steve (minecraft), Crash Bandicoot.

Also, they'll have more DLCs like Corrin to promote their future title releases. A 3rd party Fire emblem: three houses character or a next gen pokemon seems likely.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I'm gonna take a wait & see approach before giving my 2 cents about any specific DLC since there are clearly a few more surprises left before December.

However, I see 2-4 more characters and maybe a few more classic stages as possible DLC. Unsure about Mii costumes though, since the Direct made it sound like they may only have their default looks now(though other characters costumes are a possibility now thanks to Mario and Link opening the door.)

Last edited:

Douchey McDoucheface

Smash Rookie
With the Capcom characters we already have in Smash I´d love to see Phoenix Wright as a DLC character, if he´s not part of the roster already. This is probably just a dumb pipe dream of mine, but if they can turn Villager into a fighter, why not Phoenix?

They could also add Excitebike Racer. Sounds dumb, but he was planned for Melee or Brawl (can´t remember) at some point, before they scrapped him because they couldn´t figure out how to implement the bike into his gameplay. Since "EVERYONE IS HERE!" I´d love to see this idea fully-realized.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
5-6 Nintendo characters that don’t make it in the base game are are highly requested/promotion tools and 2 3rd parties

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'd like a free DLC involving single player additions. In fact, I would imagine this as a system to help out Sakurai. Basically make the basic Smash stuff with Smash mode, Classic Mode, and Stadium games, then promise a super extensive single player campaign and/or extra stadium and adventure mode add-ons later.

Douchey McDoucheface

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I'd like a free DLC involving single player additions. In fact, I would imagine this as a system to help out Sakurai. Basically make the basic Smash stuff with Smash mode, Classic Mode, and Stadium games, then promise a super extensive single player campaign and/or extra stadium and adventure mode add-ons later.
You mean a Subspace Emissary 2? :)

Arthur97

Smash Master
If 4 was any indication, too many 3rd parties. Really not a big fan of 4's DLC.

I'd like to see alt costume packs until every fighter has at least 1 (still butthurt that samus doesnt have a proper fusion suit alt). and of course extra fighters and stages, Marx especially since he wasn't very relevant when the project plan was completed

osby

Smash Obsessed
My Ideas:
  • Waluigi- sense everyone wants him, it would make Nintendo LOADS of money.
  • Rayman- with his recent appearances on Nintendo consoles, it's a possibility.
  • Crash- sense the new Crash game is coming to switch, it is very likely
  • Geno- please, just please.
Post your ideas in the thread!
Waluigi is an assist trophy.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I'll be on the safe side and guess:

Rex and Pyra/Mythra
Arms Character
Gen 8 Pokemon
Some new third party character that'll destroy the metagame

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
so you want a huge story mode incorporating almost 70 characters with cutscenes and lots of extra work for free?

that's... asking a bit much, i think.

MazeDIs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GanonGod81
3DS FC
2595-3094-5841
so you want a huge story mode incorporating almost 70 characters with cutscenes and lots of extra work for free?

Not for an "ultimate" (self-proclaimed) version of Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Necro'lic

Smash Ace

I'm not expecting it to be from scratch. I was thinking of it as a way to ease out of the pressure of the dreaded launch deadline. Like, they could work on it halfway before release, release the game, and finish up on express since they don't have to bugtest their game nearly as much.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Crash if not in base
Spyro if Crash is in base.
Missing stages :hanenbow::hanenbow::hanenbow::hanenbow::hanenbow:
Twilight princess Link with gale boomerang and probably some custom moves to replace normal ones like shocking spin attack
Igglybuff

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'd expect Spring Man for DLC. Also probably more 3rd parties (Dovahkiin, plz).

Otherwise, we'd probably get the standard Mii costumes as well. I'd love if the other characters got DLC alternate costumes (Like Zelda getting her BotW royal gown or prayer dress) as well.

I just hope we get a lot of DLC support. Ultimate feels like it's going to be a big ending for Smash, at least until the next console generation comes out, so I'd want loads of support.

And Dovahkiin, I want him.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Not for an "ultimate" (self-proclaimed) version of Smash.
I'm not expecting it to be from scratch. I was thinking of it as a way to ease out of the pressure of the dreaded launch deadline. Like, they could work on it halfway before release, release the game, and finish up on express since they don't have to bugtest their game nearly as much.
...i mean asking for all of that FOR FREE.

THAT is asking a bit much.

expecting a massive story mode, along with several other fleshed out modes, all for free... is just insane.

this stuff isn't cheap to develop.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Okay, enough jokes.
I'd actually like a number of Mii Costumes. Preferably ones that can disguise a Mii as a different character.
I greatly appreciated the Proto Man costume for the Mii Gunner in Smash 4, since it made your character look very much like the actual Proto Man, the moveset was fitting and the Gunner is just fun to play as.
Plus, it's a neat way to cram even more extra character cameos in the game.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I wouldn't really expect that many characters if for some reason DLC were to happen for this game. It's already big enough and we are probably going to get six more newcomers(I'm predicting a Smash Ballot runner-up, A Namco Bandai Rep, a New Kirby representative, Rex/Mythra and Pyra, a retro rep and King K. Rool) (Five if you want to consider Daisy a full-on newcomer)
For DLC I then expect just 2-3 characters, maybe four or five(Doubt that though) if we're lucky enough.
Most likely being a Konami rep, a Square rep, Another Smash Ballot runner-up, a New Pokemon rep and a New Zelda Rep)

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Crash Bandicoot
Banjo & Kazooie
Jungle Hijinx (If not in base game)
King K. Rool (If not in base game)
Shovel Knight

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Street Fighter V should be a cautionary tale against this practice.

While it eventually weathered the storm, the initial feedback was awful, and they likely lost a large number of sales due to that blunder.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Street Fighter V should be a cautionary tale against this practice.

While it eventually weathered the storm, the initial feedback was awful, and they likely lost a large number of sales due to that blunder.
Was SFV fully bugtested and functional on launch? I'm not sure. What was the blunder exactly? Was it the lack of single player? Well in that case, just have a few characters on launch with the single player adventure mode intact and work through the characters as free DLC over the months in order to increase hype. Obviously they can't do that now since we know literally every character that will return in the game, but in a hypothetical Smash 6, I can see this working out fine.

Just because SFV did something bad doesn't mean the idea of cutting corners in game launch is bad.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Was SFV fully bugtested and functional on launch? I'm not sure. What was the blunder exactly? Was it the lack of single player? Well in that case, just have a few characters on launch with the single player adventure mode intact and work through the characters as free DLC over the months in order to increase hype. Obviously they can't do that now since we know literally every character that will return in the game, but in a hypothetical Smash 6, I can see this working out fine.

Just because SFV did something bad doesn't mean the idea of cutting corners in game launch is bad.
Why would you do this?

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
A Arthur97 If you're talking about characters being released in a steady pace after launch, I only proposed that for an idea of how to make things easier on Sakurai and the Smash team should they find themselves rushing out the game. Give us a sizeable launch roster of maybe 20 or so characters, a few of them unlockable (or most of them), the overall single player adventure mode (more akin to Melee than Brawl), all of the trophies and such, and that way on launch the game feels complete, it feels robust, yet the Smash team has much more leeway in terms of deadlines for making characters and thus can easily make a lot of them, especially if they were half finished before release.

It's called minimum viable product. What is the minimum you are expecting a Smash game to be on launch? A bugtested, working game with a bunch of Nintendo characters and a good multiplayer and single player foundation. From there, everything else is just icing, at least from the perspective of making the game.

Arthur97

Smash Master
A Arthur97 If you're talking about characters being released in a steady pace after launch, I only proposed that for an idea of how to make things easier on Sakurai and the Smash team should they find themselves rushing out the game. Give us a sizeable launch roster of maybe 20 or so characters, a few of them unlockable (or most of them), the overall single player adventure mode (more akin to Melee than Brawl), all of the trophies and such, and that way on launch the game feels complete, it feels robust, yet the Smash team has much more leeway in terms of deadlines for making characters and thus can easily make a lot of them, especially if they were half finished before release.

It's called minimum viable product. What is the minimum you are expecting a Smash game to be on launch? A bugtested, working game with a bunch of Nintendo characters and a good multiplayer and single player foundation. From there, everything else is just icing, at least from the perspective of making the game.
Why release a game that isn't even finished? The trickle release method may work for stuff like equipment in Splatoon, but withholding over half the roster on launch just doesn't seem like a good idea. Think of the potential backlash of something like that.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
A Arthur97 What exactly is being withheld? And the game would be finished. Like I said, minimum viable product. Discounting the characters for free DLC, it would be a finished Smash game. This isn't telling people to get a season pass or something, you paid for the fully functional game with the promise of many more characters coming for free. And games are released not finished all the time for the same reasons I mentioned. I'm just putting down an ideal scenario and method to go about it.

The only backlash that would actually be warranted is if characters that are wanted at the beginning for certain people aren't part of the launch roster. But the cool thing about this system is that since the characters are probably well within the development pipeline, they can release multiple characters at once per DLC update and in turn can get public knowledge and reception of Smash Bros for far longer.

I think the way this will really work is that it needs to be known to people that this is how it will work. Otherwise, yeah, I can easily see backlash. But backlash for free DLC that we know is coming for some fan favorite Smash characters while also getting the working game much earlier at the cost of a bit of time? I doubt the backlash would be even a fraction of what it would be with the former example.

Brawl King

Smash Rookie
Honestly the only DLC i can think of is Assist Trophies like Lyn and Waluigi as playable characters. But why are we talking about DLC rn when the game isn't out. How about instead we talk about on disc content

Ninja Fisto

Smash Rookie
A Arthur97 What exactly is being withheld? And the game would be finished. Like I said, minimum viable product. Discounting the characters for free DLC, it would be a finished Smash game. This isn't telling people to get a season pass or something, you paid for the fully functional game with the promise of many more characters coming for free. And games are released not finished all the time for the same reasons I mentioned. I'm just putting down an ideal scenario and method to go about it.

The only backlash that would actually be warranted is if characters that are wanted at the beginning for certain people aren't part of the launch roster. But the cool thing about this system is that since the characters are probably well within the development pipeline, they can release multiple characters at once per DLC update and in turn can get public knowledge and reception of Smash Bros for far longer.

I think the way this will really work is that it needs to be known to people that this is how it will work. Otherwise, yeah, I can easily see backlash. But backlash for free DLC that we know is coming for some fan favorite Smash characters while also getting the working game much earlier at the cost of a bit of time? I doubt the backlash would be even a fraction of what it would be with the former example.
If all the characters aren't there at launch it isn't not a complete/finished game. SFV initially failed and just because people liked it because it added more characters via DLC doesn't mean other games should do it. Creators should work hard to finish their games instead of throwing out a nearly unfinished game with the promise of more characters. That is lazy

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
one reason star wars battlefront and marvel vs capcom 3 sucked, the games felt unfinished.

things I like to see as DLC

- characters (not just 3rd party)
- stages
-assist trophy/pokemon
-items
- alt costumes

Ninja Fisto

Smash Rookie
one reason star wars battlefront and marvel vs capcom 3 sucked, the games felt unfinished.

things I like to see as DLC

- characters (not just 3rd party)
- stages
-assist trophy/pokemon
-items
- alt costumes
Marvel Vs Capcom 3 was fine I believe u mean Marvel vs Capcom Infinite

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

And what about those who don't always have access to good internet? They would be stuck with a half-finished game at full cost.

It's one thing to not have access to online multiplayer, there are people who focus on features outside of that and most game have enough to justify not needing it. But it's a whole other ball game to sell a game without content on the promise that they may add it later. You never know if initial sales might disappoint, due to people waiting for the game to be finished or a backlash over being charged full price for a not-full product, and thus promised content gets cut due to the loss in budget.

And then there's the issue of memory space. If the game is complete on the cartridge, then there's no need to fill up the hard-drive with content. However, if there's a significant portion left out for later, that data would unnecessarily have to fill up the space that could go to other downloads. That's more complicated than simply buying the finished game and playing it. And more costly for those who would have to buy an additional SD card should the required downloads exceed their current space.

DLC should only be content to enhance the game optionally should the player choose to obtain it. Mandatory downloads of content just to allow the game be released earlier is just a fundamentally bad idea.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
These are my wants for DLC:

Characters:
- ARMS rep, since they’re unlikely to make the base roster (I personally would prefer Twintelle)
- Rex & Pyra + possible Addam & Mythra semi-echo (again, unlikely to make base roster)
- Dixie Kong, if not on base roster
- wishful thinking here, but patching Fiora out of Shulk’s final smash and making her a free playable character would be amazing (provided she’s not also a victory screen cameo and/or AT)

Stages:
- Fountain of Dreams, if not in base
- Xenoblade 2 stage (Farlaine Wells?)
- ARMS stage (Ramen Bowl?)

Others:
- Assist Trophy packs (any of your choice)
- Music add on packs for respective stages (I would pay DAMN good money for my jams)
- probably some modes but I can’t think of any atm

Top Bottom