• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would DLC include for SSB Ultimate?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Was SFV fully bugtested and functional on launch? I'm not sure. What was the blunder exactly? Was it the lack of single player? Well in that case, just have a few characters on launch with the single player adventure mode intact and work through the characters as free DLC over the months in order to increase hype. Obviously they can't do that now since we know literally every character that will return in the game, but in a hypothetical Smash 6, I can see this working out fine.

Just because SFV did something bad doesn't mean the idea of cutting corners in game launch is bad.
Cutting corners on launch is bad for the very simple reason that consumers aren't always in the know. If a player buys every Smash game up until this one, and suddenly this one has less modes/characters/extras/etc., and just feels like a much smaller product than past iterations, they're likely to sell their copy and tell their friends not to bother. Online reactions to anything negative are quick and fierce. Why would you pay a full $60 for an unfinished product?

SFV nearly failed due to a multitude of reasons, including a lack of various modes, small cast, mediocre netcode, and a starting screen with a whole bunch of "coming soon" grayed out options on the homescreen. They released it unfinished so that it could be at EVO that year, and while competitors used it and it played well, casual players gave it terrible reviews and refunded their copies. It wasn't until the second season of DLC, when they finally added a single player campaign and arcade mode, fixed online play, majorly expanded the cast, etc., that people actually started playing it again.

But the point is, people are impatient, and "this game isn't finished yet but it will be later, we promise" isn't a great business tactic for anything but Early Access games.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Honestly the only DLC i can think of is Assist Trophies like Lyn and Waluigi as playable characters. But why are we talking about DLC rn when the game isn't out. How about instead we talk about on disc content
I'm not sure how that's even gonna work

I'd like to see more stuff like stages, a few characters, and a couple of new modes or bring back Board the Platforms

Arthur97

Smash Master
Speaking of MvC 3, I wouldn't mind a mode where you controlled Master Hand.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Assuming we get Geno, King K. Rool, and Simon Belmont. Here’s a list of possible candidates. I think we’re only getting about 6 DLC characters max. But I’ll go ahead and list a top 10 list that’s of mix of what I want and what others want and seem likely. (Side note I would put Waluigi in this list but I don’t think it’s gonna happen since he’s an AT. Sorry....)

1. Shovel Knight (I Want)
2. Decidueye (Popular Choice)
3. Rex & Pyra (Popular Choice)
4. Paper Mario (Non-Echo) ( I Want)
5. Marx (Our true 4th Kirby rep) ( I Want)
6. Rayman (Popular Choice)
7. Nightmare or Yoshimitsu > Boring Heihachi (I Want)
8. Fire Emblem Rep (Sakurai’s Choice)
9. Zelda Villain (Skull Kid, Zant, or Yuga) (I Want)
10. Captain Toad ( I Want)

Others pieces of DLC I would like would be stages, echo fighters, alternate costumes, and new music.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Putting too much content in DLC takes away from the base game.
Not if the base content is a complete package. The issue that modern DLC has isn't that it comes in seasons or has lots of content. It's that it often comes at the cost of the base game having a satisfactory amount of content.

Smash Ultimate will not have that problem.

After all, we have 68 characters minimum in the base game. Nothing is going to take away from that. Or the stages in the base game. Or the modes.

If the main game is polished they can add as much DLC as they want, frankly.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
*Everyone wants Waluigi in Smash*

*Walugi is put in as an assist trophy in Ultimate*
I mean, I don't really want him in Smash.

Not to say I actively want him out of Smash, but I don't care about him.

People here use the term "everyone" a bit too liberally around here.

Top Bottom