• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was the Last Movie you Saw?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The Wizard of Oz. Took me long enough! I love the idea of having some of the film without color as to highlight Dorothy's mundane but beloved home and family, the lion was hillarious (I was in stitches when he jumped out the window - I guess that's where Scott Pilgrim got it from), and it was really interesting watching it with my grandma who said she and my great uncle were super scared by the Wicked Witch and would run into the other room whenever she cackled. That's weird to think about! She's really not that scary, even by little kid standards, but then TV, and especially color TV, were pretty new things, so it must be a lot at once. Watching the snow scene is crazy knowing that it was pure asbestos, but then I guess it wasn't the worst thing that happened on set. But the movie itself is so joyful you would never believe any of the behind-the-scenes horror stories until you looked them up. The main four just seemed like such incredible friends in a way I haven't seen another movie replicate. IDK how to end this but yeah, good movie and I will be re-watching it before long.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I recently saw the Bob’s Burgers movie and as a fan of the show I enjoyed it. The story did not go where I thought it would at all and there are a lot of plot elements that weren’t what I expected at all (an example being when Louise fell in the sinkhole I definitely expected rescuing her to take up more of the plot.) but it flowed together pretty nice. It definitely does just feel like an extended episode though which isn’t bad by any means but does come with its own problems. Sometimes the stakes get raised to an almost absurd degree like when the family almost gets buried alive and that honestly did feel a bit strange when the rest of the movie or the show for that matter isn’t as dramatic so I suppose that could have been handled better. I guess it is fundamentally about a murder though. I also liked how the movie included plenty of characters from across the series in cameo roles but there aren’t too many and honestly some of them were surprisingly not as involved in the plot as I would have expected which is probably for the best. I like how Jimmy Pesto is conveniently not voiced and also the visual gag where he randomly sprays a guy with a hose had me cackling. Only other two big criticisms are the fact that the songs are pretty bad and sometimes the movie runs with jokes for way too long that weren’t funny in the first place (like basically any of gene’s bits) but that was kind of a problem with the show in the first place.

and it was really interesting watching it with my grandma who said she and my great uncle were super scared by the Wicked Witch and would run into the other room whenever she cackled. That's weird to think about! She's really not that scary, even by little kid standards, but then TV, and especially color TV, were pretty new things, so it must be a lot at once.
I remember hearing a story from the mom of a family friend about her having to walk back home for like half an hour in pure darkness after watching the wolf man in theatres and honestly that kinda gives me a lot more respect for older horror movies, it’s usually just not something people think about that often in the modern day. And her, it gave me more respect for her too.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Rebel Moon - Part One: A Child of Fire - Although Zack Snyder's ambitious flick may have his usual visual flair trademarks from his previous works, however it does suffer a lot in terms of its storytelling and underwhelming characters.

Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes - Although the film did exploit Rachel Zegler and Tom Blyth's characters that showcased excellent performances as does Viola Davis, parts of the plot especially the third act that felt rather rushed.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Just finished watching Aquaman & the Lost Kingdom.

Overall despite its stunning visuals and some decent action sequences, the film's plot fell rather underwhelming.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Psycho Goreman.

I never felt so bad for laughing so much in a movie.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
I watched Nimona, and the movie is very good.

I never was a fan of NB Stevenson's works,but Nimona is the only one that i liked,the animation looks likes that is a little unfinished but it's allright,the story is so good who talks about prejudice and Nimona and Ballister have a good arcs,it's sad that Nimona is the last Blue Sky Studios' movie,they made a good work

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Mean Girls (2024): Whilst this version of Mean Girls was based upon the broadway musical show and the 2004 adaptation and even though there were some highlights mostly from the performances of Renee Rapp, Auli d'Carvalho and Angourie Rice, the 2024 film suffers from several pacing issues, a rather dull (and slightly predictable) story and characters that didn't have enough opportunity to shine (despite being a musical.)

Madame Web: Oooh boy where do I begin with this travesty made by Sony Entertainment Pictures whilst attempting to create their own Spider-Man centric universe? Despite starring the likes of Dakota Johnson and Sydney Sweeney, almost every aspect of the film was dreadful. Whether this was based upon the bad writing and dialogue, a script that devoids anything interesting, an uninteresting villain, choppy editing, lack of action sequences or the underwhelming characters.

Doolby

Smash Rookie
Saw Poor Things and The Iron Claw for 9 euros at the movie theater. Both were decent, but I couldn't fully immerse myself in The Iron Claw since it ran quite late and I had like 7 minutes to run a kilometer to the last bus :joyful:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
  • Lisa Frankenstein - Although Kathryn Newton and newcomer Liza Soberano did very well in their performances, the film does have pacing issues and sometimes the humour doesn't always land.
  • Poor Things - Emma Stone's performance is something that deserved praise even though the film is weirdly crafted but utilised its dark humour theme. Emma and Mark Ruffalo's characters were also very well done and developed.
  • Killers of the Flower Moon - I can see why Lily Gladstone's performance was praised. Even though the film's runtime does feel draggy and slow paced, it still made up for its strong performance and powerful story.
  • Argylle - Left rather disappointed with Argylle which ended up being a rather convoluted to follow with its plot.
  • Iron Claw - Very well performed by its cast and its very well written and strong story that unfolds a lot of tragedy.
  • The Last Airbender - How exactly did this adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender even got greenlit with poor performances from its cast and a story that doesn't follow the source material?

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
The Incredibles has still held up as my personal favourite Pixar film.

Incredibles 2 is overhated, and it’s good. Just not as good as the first movie.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED: Freedom - I was very lucky enough to watch a screening of Mobile Suit Gundam SEED: Freedom in my country (which was in cinemas for two days) and as someone who watched SEED and SEED Destiny a long time ago, I actually enjoyed it. Despite some pacing issues, the story was well crafted which was able to highlight the struggles amongst Kira Yamato and Lacus Clyne. But one thing, that I will say is that although I wasn't over keen on Shinn Asuka in SEED Destiny, I actually feel like he was much better in SEED Freedom.
  • Next Goal Wins: Based upon the true events of the American Samoa national football (or soccer) team, although Michael Fassbender did very well in his performance, I just wished the film made the characters more interesting.

Lioncache

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
LION#321
crimes of the future

my man cronenberg has still got it

osby

Smash Obsessed
Jurassic Park.

...yeah, I've just seen it. Pretty fun movie - impressive how well the special effects aged.

Top Bottom