• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was the balance philosophy behind Mewtwo? Nothing makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Was the purpose of this post suppossd to convince some of us that he isnt bad?You basically just said a bunch of bad things about Mewtwo.
Which are all true. He's got problems for sure. The most notable is that he's bigger AND lighter than G&W, which is a bad combination.

I'm not about to write Mewtwo off yet, he has some things going on for him, but he also has notable problems that we shouldn't deny.

Last edited:

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
I think the intended design here is that his weight and size are compensation for his range, air game, and killing power. Yeah, everyone's perception of kill percents is distorted since we're playing a constant stream of Mewtwo dittos, but he still has above average kill potential for the cast. Shadow Ball has big knockback, Up Smash is almost on par with R.O.B.'s for how quick it comes out and how powerful it is. Up Throw isn't a Ness tier kill throw, but it certainly is a kill throw. Range / priority on a lot of his attacks are mad good. Jab is great for stuffing approaches. Down Tilt is huge, quick, and sets up strings. All of his aerials are great. He's got a monster OoS game between a kill throw, a comboing throw, Nair, and Up Smash.

Traditionally, being huge is enough of a downside where just about everything else you do with the character will be reasonably balanced. This AND being really light lead me to believe Mewtwo's no going to be anywhere in the top 10 anytime soon. Not to mention some top tier match ups like vs Luigi and Sheik seem awful for him. Still, I think his positive traits definitely make him worth using / fearing.

If I had to take a shot in the dark for tiering placement, I'd say he lands somewhere between #25 and #15 on the tier list.

Last edited:

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
As a Charizard player, I already know I'm going to hate fighting this guy. He's got range, power, and a very good positional game. Seth from Street Fighter ;>_>

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I just want to point out that this is untrue. Mewtwo has good defensive stats:

Average stat for fully evolved pokemon > Mewtwo's stat:

HP:
80 > 106

Defense:
83 > 90

Special Defense:
83 > 90

Sources:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stats
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/mewtwo

While Psychic isn't the best defensive typing, it does resist fighting, and that above-average defense is paired with godlike speed and attacking stats. Mewtwo is banned from standard competitive play in Singles (OU) and Doubles (VGC) because he is a near-perfect attacker that's very difficult to KO, and that's before even considering his mega evolutions.

So yeah, if we're going by source material here, Mewtwo is not a glass cannon. Not that it's THAT important, though.
Maybe he has level balance on. In that case his defences would be pretty bad since he gets a low level for his great offensive stats and speed.

Silpheed

Smash Journeyman
Waaaaaay too early to make any solemn judgments on him without proper time tested testing. A day is not that. Let alone everyone hasn't got their hands on him, yet.

Braydon

Smash Ace
How the hell have people convinced them selves that mewtwo is UP? I guess it's the same as how Rosalina is low tier because she's light and slow... Except that she's not. Rosalina gets lumas, mewtwo gets the best air game, great reach on his attacks, almost no start up or end lag on his attacks, and out prioritizes every other character in a maddening way.
(I was playing samus and thought I was winning only to find out his Dair apparenly overrides Usmash... wtf.)

Stop using shadow ball and use his air game and combos...

link2702

Smash Champion
How the hell have people convinced them selves that mewtwo is UP? I guess it's the same as how Rosalina is low tier because she's light and slow... Except that she's not. Rosalina gets lumas, mewtwo gets the best air game, great reach on his attacks, almost no start up or end lag on his attacks, and out prioritizes every other character in a maddening way.
(I was playing samus and thought I was winning only to find out his Dair apparenly overrides Usmash... wtf.)

his air game is definitely not anywhere close to the best.

Braydon

Smash Ace
his air game is definitely not anywhere close to the best.
Rofl wtf. Yes it is. I love your argument there "nuh uh."

Mewtwo has hands down the highest arial priority, his Bair has insane reach, his Nair sucks people in and can be comboed to it's self against some characters since it has so little end lag... He has vastly higher priority than other characters and almost no end lag, and it's not like he even has bad damage to compensate, I mean 12% for an Nair?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I love first week hype. This thread reminds me of the other character boards when 3DS smash was released.

Sorry, but I'm not done with teleport yet. Doing it on the air carries momentum, so it's possible to land on the edge of a platform or stage (the latter is risky because you could overshoot the edge and fall to your doom) and cancel the landing lag as Mewtwo slides off into another aerial.

Palutena mains here know what I'm saying, she can edge cancel Warp too, so if you're familiar with that, it's the same idea.

Last edited:

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
Re: You people saying it's the first day

Perhaps, but most of the points that the OP covered are incontrovertible facts, and they're indeed problematic. First day or not. He's absolutely not Melee bad, but I doubt he'll be a strong contender.
Well...Mew2King said over Twitter that, while he's not broken by any stretch of the imagination, he has the potential to be one of the best in the game. Now, I know we shouldn't take anyone's word as truth, but having mained him and being a Smash Bros. champion, it'd be safe to say he has a good grasp on the game and Mewtwo himself. I guess it's all a matter of seeing how everything pans out at the moment.

link2702

Smash Champion
Rofl wtf. Yes it is. I love your argument there "nuh uh."

Mewtwo has hands down the highest arial priority, his Bair has insane reach, his Nair sucks people in and can be comboed to it's self against some characters since it has so little end lag... He has vastly higher priority than other characters and almost no end lag, and it's not like he even has bad damage to compensate, I mean 12% for an Nair?
bairi has terrible end lag. nair has short range around mewtwos body so any character with a decent ranged aerial will knock him out of it. Fair doesn't have near the range as you're wishing it did, and it still has some cooldown to make it punishable if he misses, Dair also has a lot of startup. HIs floatly nature and slow air speed means characters with better air speed can dance around him in the air easily.

quit acting like a douche btw, people can't take you seriously when each of your comments sounds hostile.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord

Salty much? Come on dude Mewtwo is not that good your opponent just was a better player.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Mewtwo has some key weaknesses/WTF Sakurai things. Ex. No Customs, Hitboxes on Up-Smash/B-Air/U-Air, is way too light,

That said the more I play the more I find Mewtwo's strengths. Holy crap, M2's tilts/airs/throws deal a lot of damage, and SB is a great projectile/kill move. Confusion/Disable have potential, but it remands to be seen at high level play of which there are no notable M2 mains as of late.

quit acting like a douche btw, people are less likely to take you seriously when each of your comments sounds hostile.
Drop the argument

Braydon

Smash Ace
Salty much? Come on dude Mewtwo is not that good your opponent just was a better player.
That's just flat out wrong. I know the person I was playing against, he's not better than me and he'd just started mewtwo and he was still winning.

EDIT:

Frame data thread illustrates my point: http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwo-frame-data.399331/

A whopping 2 start up and 5 end lag frames on Nair, so laggy am I right?

It's not that I was losing to a mewtwo that I'm worse, if you're losing as mewtwo you're worse.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
In a lot of ways Mewtwo in Smash is a very accurate portrayal of how he played in the games: glass cannon. He has terrible defenses and dies easily, but is extremely potent offensively (and his psychic powers give him range as well). In Smash 'defenses' correspond to weight, and 'offense' translates to damage/knockback. So it only seems logical that they made mewtwo a lightweight killing machine. Like Trifroze said, "Shadow Ball might just be the best projectile in the game", Fair has the speed of Diddy's UpAir and the killing power of a smash attack, Side B BOTH reflects projectiles AND command grabs people, which can lead to followups. His tilts are great spacing tools, all of his smashes kill early, he has not one but TWO killthrows, and the second best recovery in the game. (sorry, but :4villager:) Mewtwo fits the bill as the resident glass cannon, and fits it well.

I really wish they would have given him more true combos to complete the offensive package but honestly that may be a bit overkill.
106 hp 90 def and 90 spdef aren't so low stats. In pokèmon games he isn't so a glass cannon

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
That's just flat out wrong. I know the person I was playing against, he's not better than me and he'd just started mewtwo and he was still winning.

EDIT:

Frame data thread illustrates my point: http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwo-frame-data.399331/

It's not that I was losing to a mewtwo that I'm worse, if you're losing as mewtwo you're worse.
There are some disagreements about the frame data (see further down in the same thread). NAir does come out fast, but might not be that fast.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Making Mewtwo super light doesn't seem right. Samus is very floaty, and yet she's a heavy fighter, so I don't see why Mewtwo can't be like Samus in that department; it would really like to have the weight buff to avoid being wiped out so quickly against the heavy hitters.

Braydon

Smash Ace
Making Mewtwo super light doesn't seem right. Samus is very floaty, and yet she's a heavy fighter, so I don't see why Mewtwo can't be like Samus in that department; it would really like to have the weight buff to avoid being wiped out so quickly against the heavy hitters.
If he was heavier he would be even more OP... It's fair for how powerful he is.

There are some disagreements about the frame data (see further down in the same thread). NAir does come out fast, but might not be that fast.
Some disagreement, but I don't think it could be off by more than a frame or two, lets say it's off by a frame on the start, it's still super fast, there's still not much end lag, the active frames last quite a while, and it pulls. Mewtwo is one of the fastest attacking chars, allowing him many combos, and he has higher power, priority, and range than other characters with the same attack speed. His neutral game is amazing, he's very hard to punish unless you just totally screw up, he's great.

106 hp 90 def and 90 spdef aren't so low stats. In pokèmon games he isn't so a glass cannon
That's because in pokemon games he is simply superior, you can't give him his canon stats because he is capable of OHKOing a pikachu, you can't have that in smash, so they based him off his predominate trait, immense psychic power.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't even hype for Mewtwo and I like what I see. I recall watching a PM match where Emukiller put the poo on M2K and honestly, aside from the random peach float that was given to Mewtwo, I'm seeing a lot of the same things.

The alternative to super light Mewtwo is hard to get rid of Mewtwo, and I honestly believe we don't want that. His fair is a stone cold killer of men, sideB is guaranteed to go into fsmash/dsmash at any percent if the opponent doesn't tech, shadow ball kills at around 90% if it meets its target anywhere near the edges of the stage, and it doubles as a recovery option if you B reverse it offstage in the air.

I don't like his bair, but I play MegaMan, Ike, and Shulk mostly so I think that's a personal preference kind of deal. Also someone please explain to me the frustration over his usmash, I don't get it, it's as powerful as they come, and it does hit pretty much every height of character, you just have to be like right beside them. Lucas is the only character who gets to have an usmash that powerful with a hitbox for a mile around him.

Also shoutout lols to all of the people comparing Smash Mewtwo to Pokemon Mewtwo, play some Pokemon against other people more often, it's back and forth OHKOs unless Blissy or Steelix/Aggron shows up. Everyone is a glass cannon.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If he was heavier he would be even more OP... It's fair for how powerful he is.
Mewtwo doesn't even feel that overpowered though, or at least that's what it seemed like on my end. Anyway, if Mewtwo was made to fall at a much slower speed, it wouldn't matter too much on how heavy it is if it's very vulnerable to getting KO'd vertically.

Braydon

Smash Ace
Mewtwo doesn't even feel that overpowered though, or at least that's what it seemed like on my end. Anyway, if Mewtwo was made to fall at a much slower speed, it wouldn't matter too much on how heavy it is if it's very vulnerable to getting KO'd vertically.
He's OP, you just haven't learned him if you're not winning.

Increasing weight would make him less vulnerable to KOs, in order to make him more vulnerable you'd have to take a massive chuck out of his fall speed, which would make him really weird and situational. Some characters like DK may be able to get off an early kill by Uairing high in the air, but what about characters like Mario? It would just be harder for him since he doesn't have any vertical KO moves.

It would just make it way to situational to the enemy's Uair and up special strength really.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I dont understand when people say he is powerful....
Can someone please explain...not picking a fight just really curious...

Ganondorf and DDD are powerful

Braydon

Smash Ace
I dont understand when people say he is powerful....
Can someone please explain...not picking a fight just really curious...

Ganondorf and DDD are powerful
Those are heavies though, they're measured on a different scale, for his build and attack speed mewtwo gets good damage and kill power.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Basically, powerful doesn't necessarily mean that the fighter has to have heavy-hitting attacks. Rosalina might not have that many heavy-hitting attacks, but the combination of her and the Luma can really cause trouble for others during a battle.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Powerful != kill at low percent. Well, they do, but it isn't an exclusive sort of deal.

Is Shiek powerful?
Sheik has mad combos thats the thing a mix of high speed and low ending lag.

Do you mean Mewtwo's moves have high knockback on his moves?

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Ofcoarse for example

His dash in mlee did nothing before

Now its a pretty high kill potential move.

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace

Mewtwo also has massively high combo potential, and he has higher knockback on his kill moves. There is very low ending lag and start up lag to all of mewtwo's moves, it's only his move speed that's slow, his attack speed is extremely high and he has damage values comparable to mid weights with this speed.

Hyruleslink

Smash Journeyman
Just because some people don't know how to properly play a character doesn't automatically make them bad. He was a technical character in Melee and is again here, just as he should be. Remember how everyone thought the Ice Climbers were horrible when Brawl first came out? Yeah... me too.

Timbers

check me out
He's OP, you just haven't learned him if you're not winning.
He's been out for a day. Nobody should have "learned" him yet, so you shouldn't be shaming those who haven't perfected his style lol. And nobody should know how to play against him, for that matter, and so I'm unwilling to take your radical opinions at face value. And absolutely nobody should be saying he's OP right now. A lot of things about him are unconventional, and nothing suggests he will be "OP," as his build is very different than many other top tier fighters in other games, but most importantly in smash. He has slowish frame data, mediocre combos, large hurtbox, and gimmicky/poor kill setups. With the addition of rage, a mechanic that many characters can exploit, Mewtwo will not be taking advantage of it often as he dies the earliest of the cast.

He has some cool things going for him (dtilt, nair, and jab are not bad) but there's going to need to be a lot of digging into this character before anyone can, with confidence, say he's great.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Mewtwo also has massively high combo potential, and he has higher knockback on his kill moves. There is very low ending lag and start up lag to all of mewtwo's moves, it's only his move speed that's slow, his attack speed is extremely high and he has damage values comparable to mid weights with this speed.
Back air and forward tilt are laggy but yes true sort if

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Using Villager and Smashville I get the following examples of his kill power which I compared to Ganondorf which, alright, is an exaggeration. However Mewtwo has a killing projectile, kill throws and better frame data even though Ganon's isn't bad, so he's not as far behind as you'd think.

Shadow Ball is the earliest KOing projectile in the game not counting customs and it travels almost as fast as charge shot, KOing below 100%.

Usmash hits on frame 9 and KOs before 100%.

Dair comes out on frame 15, has a good hitbox and meteors at 40% with no chance of recovery. On the ground it's always a non-meteor so you can't tech it, it can be shorthop autocanceled and it kills at around 130%. It is among the best meteors in the game, along with Ganondorf's and Falcon's dairs.

Fair hits on frame 7 and kills at around 130%. It's easy to land offstage unlike many bairs or dairs and will often net you the kill at 60-80%. On first glance against a CPU who doesn't DI this doesn't look like a big deal, but the angle it sends you at is very diagonal, meaning DI will only make a negative difference most of the time and it will kill just as early when used against an actual player.

Dsmash comes out on frame 21 meaning it's slow, but has a 4 frame release and very low endlag so it's safe to throw out in most situations. Kills at 120%, which again on first glance isn't great when used against a CPU, but the angle is again perfectly diagonal meaning it will KO human players who know how to DI just as early.

And then we have uthrow, killing at 130%. DI matters very little with this one. With moderate rage it will kill as early as 100%. On halberd with moderate rage it will kill at 80%. Mewtwo also has a jab that comboes into grab on seemingly any character, with or without DI, at kill %s. It's not always about how strong your attacks are, it's about how easy it is to land them and how hard it is to DI them.

Mewtwo's pros aren't very straightforward aside from his teleport, airdodges, rolls and Shadow Ball being very useful, but once you look into it more he's a pretty promising character. If he was a lot heavier (like 100+), rage combined with his excellent recovery, range and evasive tools would make him the hardest character in the game to KO, and his uthrow, bthrow and Shadow Ball would kill extremely early. I think 72 is too low, but I now see why anything higher than 85 would've been too much. Stop complaining.

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
He's been out for a day. Nobody should have "learned" him yet, so you shouldn't be shaming those who haven't perfected his style lol. And nobody should know how to play against him, for that matter, and so I'm unwilling to take your radical opinions at face value. And absolutely nobody should be saying he's OP right now. A lot of things about him are unconventional, and nothing suggests he will be "OP," as his build is very different than many other top tier fighters in other games, but most importantly in smash. He has slowish frame data, mediocre combos, large hurtbox, and gimmicky/poor kill setups. With the addition of rage, a mechanic that many characters can exploit, Mewtwo will not be taking advantage of it often as he dies the earliest of the cast.

He has some cool things going for him (dtilt, nair, and jab are not bad) but there's going to need to be a lot of digging into this character before anyone can, with confidence, say he's great.
I can and just did say it, mewtwo will be top 5, I'm thinking 2 or 1 even.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Yeah, in one day, you should be able ro see if theyre viable imo. Simply look at his stats. With his poor speed, poor dmg, easily killable, and laggy moves, I dont think hes really good.
Ok then get some random user on here to use MK and see what they say about him. I promise you it'll be negative, also where is this low damage coming from? He deals good damage, his throws deal 9-12% with 2% pummels, his damage output is good.

Sure he has kill throws, but they pale in comparison to Ness
Sure Fox is fast, but he pales in comparison to Sonic.

You're complaining about nothing, his kill throws are good comparing him to Ness doesn't degrade a strength Mewtwo possesses.

D-Smash has terrible start up but low end lag making it somewhat safe on block.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord

EDIT:

Mewtwo has been out for about 2 days. Just look at the tier list of the previous games and their history. Notice that they all had big changes? You cannot be sure of anything in 2 days. No one has mastered Mewtwo , and no one has mastered the matchup against him.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Using Villager and Smashville I get the following examples of his kill power which I compared to Ganondorf which, alright, is an exaggeration. However Mewtwo has a killing projectile, kill throws and better frame data even though Ganon's isn't bad, so he's not as far behind as you'd think.

Shadow Ball is the earliest KOing projectile in the game not counting customs and it travels almost as fast as charge shot, KOing below 100%.

Usmash hits on frame 9 and KOs before 100%.

Dair comes out on frame 15, has a good hitbox and meteors at 40% with no chance of recovery. On the ground it's always a non-meteor so you can't tech it, it can be shorthop autocanceled and it kills at around 130%. It is among the best meteors in the game, along with Ganondorf's and Falcon's dairs.

Fair hits on frame 7 and kills at around 130%. It's easy to land offstage unlike many bairs or dairs and will often net you the kill at 60-80%. On first glance against a CPU who doesn't DI this doesn't look like a big deal, but the angle it sends you at is very diagonal, meaning DI will only make a negative difference most of the time and it will kill just as early when used against an actual player.

Dsmash comes out on frame 21 meaning it's slow, but has a 4 frame release and very low endlag so it's safe to throw out in most situations. Kills at 120%, which again on first glance isn't great when used against a CPU, but the angle is again perfectly diagonal meaning it will KO human players who know how to DI just as early.

And then we have uthrow, killing at 130%. DI matters very little with this one. With moderate rage it will kill as early as 100%. On halberd with moderate rage it will kill at 80%. Mewtwo also has a jab that comboes into grab on seemingly any character, with or without DI, at kill %s. It's not always about how strong your attacks are, it's about how easy it is to land them and how hard it is to DI them.

Mewtwo's pros aren't very straightforward aside from his teleport, airdodges, rolls and Shadow Ball being very useful, but once you look into it more he's a pretty promising character. If he was a lot heavier (like 100+), rage combined with his excellent recovery, range and evasive tools would make him the hardest character in the game to KO, and his uthrow, bthrow and Shadow Ball would kill extremely early. I think 72 is too low, but I now see why anything higher than 85 would've been too much. Stop complaining.
Shadow ball is stronger than Charge shot?
Really?
It seems weaker...
Not hating just saying how it feels...maybe its because its smaller....visually....

1FC0

Smash Lord
To illustrate my point R.O.B. was 6th in the SSBB tier list if I remember correctly and look where he is now.... =(

Last edited:

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Maybe he has level balance on. In that case his defences would be pretty bad since he gets a low level for his great offensive stats and speed.
That's not how level balancing works in Pokemon, but yeah Sakurai probably considered his raw power and ignored everything else.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
I can and just did say it, mewtwo will be top 5, I'm thinking 2 or 1 even.
I get that you are star-struck based on your friend beating you with Mewtwo, but its getting ridiculous now. The comments about lag-less moves are also amusing to anyone who's played the character. Utilt hits grounded opponents on a delay, uair and bair are very slow and have inconsistent hitboxes, nair has low priority and landing lag unless you full hop it, and ftilt is slow. Mewtwo's fast normal attacks are his fair and dtilt. Maybe you could include his usmash, though the start of the move is interruptable. For someone to hit with bair and uair they have to predict where their opponent will be and start the move a half-second ahead of time.

What do the top tier characters in this game all have in common? Throw followups. Lack of throw followups by itself is enough to put a character in B tier. That's about where Mewtwo is going to end up. B or B-, I'd predict. He's too light. Rosalina enjoys the tier placement she does is because luma is such a good meatshield for absorbing projectiles and attacks. Mewtwo is quite large also and doesn't have luma to shield him.

In the continuing customs meta I'd expect him to fall further unless his customs miraculously get added later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom