• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Veterans Should Enter or Cut?? Smash Switch Discussion and Thread

Outside of Clones, What Character Group Will Have The Greatest Chance to Get Cut?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Yeah, the thing with Ganondorf and Luigi and Falco is that while their playstyles and physics are very different and they are all clearly semi-clones (though Luigi is barely hanging on, with all the changes given to him throughout, still a semi clone, but barely), all three of them still share many moves with their source characters, unlike Wolf. I agree, there should totally be more characters like Wolf. He was quite fun to play, and I still miss him. (sniffs)
I would say Luigi isn't really a semi-clone as of Smash 4. While some of his moves are aesthetically identical to Mario's/Dr. Mario's, they all posses at least one difference such as a power or knockback increase/decrease, more/less range, or are different entirely from Mario's.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I would say Luigi isn't really a semi-clone as of Smash 4. While some of his moves are aesthetically identical to Mario's/Dr. Mario's, they all posses at least one difference such as a power or knockback increase/decrease, more/less range, or are different entirely from Mario's.
I'm not sure. He may need a few more different moves, but Luigi is certainly what clones should strive to become.

Though, part of Luigi is being like Mario so, in a sense, he should retain some cloneness to be accurate to who he is.

kylexv

Smash Master
In terms of priority, :4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina: are obviously the lowest, but I feel any of them could come back for this game.
As for third parties, :4cloud: is at the most risk in my opinion, with :4ryu::4bayonetta2: being at a slight risk, but I'm sure Sakurai will try and fight to keep at least most of the third parties in this installment. Obviously, it's down to their respective companies whether or not they return.
The only other characters I feel are at some sort of risk are :4greninja::4lucas:, depending on GameFreak/Itoi are willing to keep them in, which I'm sure they will. Maybe :4feroy: could be cut as well, but I don't see it too likely.

Already Confirmed: :4mario::4link:

All but Guaranteed: :4dk::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4luigi::4falcon::4ness::4peach::4bowser::4zelda::4marth::4gaw::4metaknight::4pit::4wario::4diddy::4dedede::4charizard::4olimar::4lucario::4sonic::4villager:

Probably: :4jigglypuff::popo::4sheik::4falco::4ganondorf::4zss::4myfriends::4rob::4tlink::rosalina::4littlemac::4palutena::4robinm::4shulk::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4megaman::4pacman::4mii:
More likely than not: :4mewtwo::4feroy::4lucas::4wiifit::4greninja::4corrinf::4bayonetta2:
Maybe: :wolf::4ryu:
At Risk: :4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina::4cloud:
Probably not happening: :younglinkmelee::pichumelee::squirtle::ivysaur::snake:

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
In terms of priority, :4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina: are obviously the lowest, but I feel any of them could come back for this game.
As for third parties, :4cloud: is at the most risk in my opinion, with :4ryu::4bayonetta2: being at a slight risk, but I'm sure Sakurai will try and fight to keep at least most of the third parties in this installment. Obviously, it's down to their respective companies whether or not they return.
The only other characters I feel are at some sort of risk are :4greninja::4lucas:, depending on GameFreak/Itoi are willing to keep them in, which I'm sure they will. Maybe :4feroy: could be cut as well, but I don't see it too likely.

Already Confirmed: :4mario::4link:

All but Guaranteed: :4dk::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4luigi::4falcon::4ness::4peach::4bowser::4zelda::4marth::4gaw::4metaknight::4pit::4wario::4diddy::4dedede::4charizard::4olimar::4lucario::4sonic::4villager:

Probably: :4jigglypuff::popo::4sheik::4falco::4ganondorf::4zss::4myfriends::4rob::4tlink::rosalina::4littlemac::4palutena::4robinm::4shulk::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4megaman::4pacman::4mii:
More likely than not: :4mewtwo::4feroy::4lucas::4wiifit::4greninja::4corrinf::4bayonetta2:
Maybe: :wolf::4ryu:
At Risk: :4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina::4cloud:
Probably not happening: :younglinkmelee::pichumelee::squirtle::ivysaur::snake:
I mean, Bayonetta will probably enter to Smash 5 because of the release of Bayonetta 3 exclusivr to the Switch but that is my speculation..

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Well, in terms of should be cut imo, :4cloud: is the only one to me, considering how he's basically a Sony character and etc
Wouldn't mind seeing :4charizard: :4corrin: :4feroy: getting the axe as well. I don't hate them, I just don't mind them much, I don't think they bring anything unique and/or really fun to Smash, plus I'm not that fond of the characters themselves.
:4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina:are a weird situation since they're last minute clones, but in a ideal world to me, since I really love these three characters, they'd come back and Luigified, kind of what happened with Falco and Ganondorf in Brawl. Also I think :4alph: should be separated from Olimar and receive a similar treatment, but that's just me

In terms of likelihood, I think :4cloud: is the most likely, with :4lucas::4feroy: also being a bit risky to me (not a LOT risky though). I also kinda can see :4mii::4ryu: being cut too but I don't think it's a lot likely. Won't comment on the clones since they're a different situation, but I'm almost certain that if they pick one clone to Luigify, it'll be :4darkpit:

In terms of older cuts coming back, I think :popo::wolf: should come back, and I think they will.

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
I don't really see any characters getting cut. Sakurai brought back Dr. Mario just for Melee nostalgia points, so Roy, Lucina and Dark Pit would make it in on the same principle. Never mind how popular Lucina is and how dirt simple it is to add clones it at the last minute.

If they take the backlash to Fire Emblem seriously, and I don't know why they would, they might cut Corrin because Sakurai shifted the blame for her inclusion to his crew.

I'd want Pokemon Trainer to come back or else cut Charizard, but Game Freak has embraced Charizard's popularity. He might get replaced with Incineroar if having more than one fire starter is a huge deal.

Of course, "cut" veterans who show up as dlc don't really count as cut so much as delayed. I could see Roy, Lucas, Wii Fit Trainer, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Corrin, and Duck Hunt being delayed instead of cut.

D

Deleted member

What is all this talk of cutting Charizard??? You boys crazy? Charizard is immensely popular; I'd say about as much as Mewtwo in the Pokemon community. Shame on you!!

Also it'd be lame to cut characters like Roy that they JUST brought back. Characters mostly likely to get cut would have been introduced for the first time in Sm4sh, like 3rd parties, or who are really really not relevant anymore. Like Sheik. Sheik's old news and also has nothing to do with her portrayal in OoT.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
What is all this talk of cutting Charizard??? You boys crazy? Charizard is immensely popular; I'd say about as much as Mewtwo in the Pokemon community. Shame on you!!

Also it'd be lame to cut characters like Roy that they JUST brought back. Characters mostly likely to get cut would have been introduced for the first time in Sm4sh, like 3rd parties, or who are really really not relevant anymore. Like Sheik. Sheik's old news and also has nothing to do with her portrayal in OoT.
You, my good sir, are the first person outside of me to suggest cutting Shiek as far as I have seen. Cut her and bring back a character who has appeared in more games like Young Link. He's appeared in 2 games, Hyrule Warriors, 2 remakes of his original appearances and Melee, making him much more relevant than Sheik at this point. If they brought anyone back (outside of Ice Climbers and Wolf) it should be him as he would still retain most of Link's old (Melee, Brawl, Smash 4) moveset while Link got an updated BotW one. Or even better, let him keep his other attacks but give him new special attacks that are based off MM. For reference, Sheik has not appeared in a game since OoT (3D) and that was a remake of her only other appearance. She/He's no longer relevent and needs to be cut.

Last edited:
You, my good sir, are the first person outside of me to suggest cutting Shiek as far as I have seen. Cut her and bring back a character who has appeared in more games like Young Link. He's appeared in 2 games, Hyrule Warriors, 2 remakes of his original appearances and Melee, making him much more relevant than Sheik at this point. If they brought anyone back (outside of Ice Climbers and Wolf) it should be him as he would still retain most of Link's old (Melee, Brawl, Smash 4) moveset while Link got an updated BotW one. Or even better, let him keep his other attacks but give him new special attacks that are based off MM. For reference, Sheik has not appeared in a game since OoT (3D) and that was a remake of her only other appearance. She/He's no longer relevent and needs to be cut.
Huh. I never thought of Sheik. But yeah, thinking about it now, she really is irrelevant.

But what's the point of bringing back Young Link? I know you want Link's old moveset to stay should he be getting Breath of the Wild based changes, but.... well, Took Link is basically exactly the same character, so we'd still have most of Link's old Melee/Brawl/Smash 4 moveset available within a character.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Sheik may not be relevant to the Zelda franchise, but much like Captain Falcon, she's become better known for her Smash appearances than her source material, and she's pretty strongly tied to Smash Bros. At the very least, it seems like the competitive side of Smash would be in uproar if she was cut.

Plus, Zelda is lacking in characters at this point, if anything; the solution to that shouldn't be cutting one of the characters that they already have.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Agreed! Now, Sheik did make a reappearance in a way in Hyrule Warriors, but you're right, Young Link still beats her. Not to be biased, but I have not liked Sheik's inclusion in Smash since Melee, because I felt like everyone just ignored Zelda so they could play as the ninja. In contrast, I exclusively played the princess counterpart and while we can hate on the 3DS for its limitations, I LOVE that Zelda is now her own character because of it. Being unshackled, I think it makes more sense than ever to now drop Sheik.
Huh. I never thought of Sheik. But yeah, thinking about it now, she really is irrelevant.

But what's the point of bringing back Young Link? I know you want Link's old moveset to stay should he be getting Breath of the Wild based changes, but.... well, Took Link is basically exactly the same character, so we'd still have most of Link's old Melee/Brawl/Smash 4 moveset available within a character.
As someone who plays Link, I don't think Toon Link is similar enough that I would enjoy him as a replacement. Which is why I don't play as Toon Link.
If BotW Link does replace Link, Young Link might fit the bill, however (though really it would be a shame to cut the current Link).
Young Link is also one of three Links in Hyrule Warriors and differentiates himself by using the Fierce Deity Mask. If Young Link returned, the Fierce Deity form would HAVE to be his final smash, which would also be much cooler than the stupid Triforce Slash.

If Young Link did return, I would love for his appearance to actually be more based on Majora's Mask, giving him the awesome-looking Hero's Shield and maybe the Razor Sword cuz it looks rad. Also his hookshot ought to be updated to the golden one in MM. And think of the taunts! We need that Lon Lon Milk taunt back!!! Plus he could pull out some other masks or his ocarina. Hnng now I want him back so bad!!

EDIT:
Sheik may not be relevant to the Zelda franchise, but much like Captain Falcon, she's become better known for her Smash appearances than her source material, and she's pretty strongly tied to Smash Bros. At the very least, it seems like the competitive side of Smash would be in uproar if she was cut.

Plus, Zelda is lacking in characters at this point, if anything; the solution to that shouldn't be cutting one of the characters that they already have.
I wouldn't say she's tied to Smash Bros. in the same way Captain Falcon is. And the 'competitive side of Smash' only cares about characters that are good. Once Sheik got nerfed, oh surprise! People stopped using her as much!

Also, I would say cut the irrelevant Sheik in favor of *adding* characters like Impa or Young Link. It's hard because a lot of Zelda characters are one-off characters, so Midna or Skull Kid or Ghirahim would be great, but they would also suffer from being irrelevant eventually. Just please Sakurai not Tingle...please

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As someone who plays Link, I don't think Toon Link is similar enough that I would enjoy him as a replacement. Which is why I don't play as Toon Link.
If BotW Link does replace Link, Young Link might fit the bill, however (though really it would be a shame to cut the current Link).
Young Link is also one of three Links in Hyrule Warriors and differentiates himself by using the Fierce Deity Mask. If Young Link returned, the Fierce Deity form would HAVE to be his final smash, which would also be much cooler than the stupid Triforce Slash.

If Young Link did return, I would love for his appearance to actually be more based on Majora's Mask, giving him the awesome-looking Hero's Shield and maybe the Razor Sword cuz it looks rad. Also his hookshot ought to be updated to the golden one in MM. And think of the taunts! We need that Lon Lon Milk taunt back!!! Plus he could pull out some other masks or his ocarina. Hnng now I want him back so bad!!
I just don't see why you want to cut a unique character in favour of one who, as you describe it, would be exactly the same as another character that we already have, just with different visuals, a different taunt, and a different final smash. That sounds like a Dark Pit kind of situation.

D

Deleted member

I just don't see why you want to cut a unique character in favour of one who, as you describe it, would be exactly the same as another character that we already have, just with different visuals, a different taunt, and a different final smash. That sounds like a Dark Pit kind of situation.
For the record I love Dark Pit. I hope he never gets cut. :)

Sheik may be unique, but so was Snake, and Squirtle, and Ivysaur, and Ice Climbers, and Mewtwo, so just being unique doesn't make a character safe. I may personally enjoy the return of Young Link, but I concede that it's unlikely and I won't be surprised if he never comes back. I would loove an Impa though! She's one of the other few recurring Zelda characters, and could even take some of Sheik's moves.

The thing that's odd about Sheik though is that apart from her up special, all of her moves are pulled out of a hat and not based on actual Zelda source material. Princess Zelda used Sheik as a disguise and she may be somewhat agile, but I really have a hard time believing that the Sheik we see in Smash is actually Zelda. In OoT, Sheik didn't really do much, just play some songs and then disappeared in a flash (which could magic or stunning Link with a Deku Nut as some have hypothesized); she was never shown to be super flexible and athletic or to throw needles, use a chain whip, or a bouncing flash grenade. That's all stuff Sakurai made up. At least Hyrule Warriors Sheik uses the g**d**** harp. Also, since Zelda is likely to be based on BotW appearance, I doubt they'd update Sheik's appearance once again to fit the style of that game, and the new depiction of Sheikah is much more ancient tech based, which further makes Sheik (as a supposed Sheikah member) out of place. If she makes it back I'm sure there will be happy fans but I'll just be rolling my eyes.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
To throw my 2 cents in:

Shiek's moveset obviously needs to stay, but now that she's separate to Zelda she can be can be transformed into a different character, and IMO it should happen. Impa or the Yiga clan are obvious choices. That said I agree that while not close to C Falcon or ICs levels she has become a 'Smash' character.

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
Sheik isn't relevant anymore but she still represents Ocarina of Time, one of the most important games in the history of Nintendo. If they wanted to cut or replace her they would have done so in SSB4 when transformations were removed. But I definitely would not mind if they gave some of her moves to Impa and added the harp in her moveset.

JawshGray

Smash Rookie
If anything, Dark Pit should be cut and made into a costume for Pit. Lucina should be cut and made into a costume for Marth, same for Dr. Mario and so on. If anyone returns, it should be Snake but I doubt this due to Konami being an absolute trash heap of a company lately. Wolf would be cool, too.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
If it were up to me, I wouldn't cut any character, even if it required delaying the game by a bit just to include everything possible from the last game.

For cuts though? Obviously the clones and third parties that aren't Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man(Maybe Bayo simply bc Smash Ballot) are at stake. Everything else I'm certain will stay unless for some reason they get the Ice Climbers treatment.

I find it interesting how people think Lucario, Greninja, Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, Corrin, or other characters with unique movesets would be likely to get cut at all. Those characters take a LOT of work to create, and there's only ever been 3 instances of this ever happening.
1) Mewtwo: Cut due to time restraints from Melee > Brawl. Considering the heavy workload this game took to make possible due to the new characters, graphical overhauls, and an entire story mode, this makes sense that at least one character would get cut due to everything put into the game.
2) Snake: This happened solely due to difficulties with the parent company of this third party character.
3) Ice Climbers: Ice Climbers were only cut from Smash 4 because of limitations the 3DS presented. This was a cut done purely because of technical difficulties with the character. Remember, this also almost happened to Olimar, but it was solved by cutting down the amount of Pikmin he carried by half.

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
I really can't see any characters getting cut out of Sakurai's free will. The only characters that may get cut would be third parties. The only reason the clones are there is to will up the roster because they didn't have time to make an original character, so there is no reason cutting them as they don't really take up anything. I really doubt that Sakurai would cut a character with a unique moveset that he spent his time making because of something like relevancy.

On the other end of characters returning, I think a case can be made for every character except for the Pokemon. Ice Climbers were only removed because of the 3DS, the development team must have taken note of the support for Wolf, and they may add Young Link for the same reason they added Dr. Mario and Roy.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
3 instances of this ever happening.
1) Mewtwo: Cut due to time restraints from Melee > Brawl. Considering the heavy workload this game took to make possible due to the new characters, graphical overhauls, and an entire story mode, this makes sense that at least one character would get cut due to everything put into the game.
2) Snake: This happened solely due to difficulties with the parent company of this third party character.
3) Ice Climbers: Ice Climbers were only cut from Smash 4 because of limitations the 3DS presented. This was a cut done purely because of technical difficulties with the character. Remember, this also almost happened to Olimar, but it was solved by cutting down the amount of Pikmin he carried by half.
:squirtle:and :ivysaur:also say hello.

Cuts are hard, especially when they are pretty forgettable like Squirtle and Ivy, who really don't have a chance unless the Trainer returns, and I'm surprised how much vitriol there is toward the transformation characters - I liked having to play a 3-in-1 character.

I would like to see IC/Olimar/Trainer back since their respective problems are fixed now that the game's not crippled by a console weaker than the GameCube, but while I see the ICs and Olimar coming back, I can't say the same for my 3rd go-to character from Brawl.

I do think that cutting is going to get more common though, since - as much as we'd love to have it - they can't just keep expanding the roster infinitely. Still, I would hope that any cut vets can come back as DLC - they can simplify the work by porting a lot of the info and anims, and then we could still get our favorites back.

D

Deleted member

Sheik isn't relevant anymore but she still represents Ocarina of Time, one of the most important games in the history of Nintendo.
Does she though? Does she really? I don't think she does.

If anything, Dark Pit should be cut and made into a costume for Pit. Lucina should be cut and made into a costume for Marth, same for Dr. Mario and so on.
So...you think they should not be cut. Got it. You just don't want to have to look at their faces on the character select screen.
:squirtle:and :ivysaur:also say hello.
THANK YOU! Darn it why does everyone forget about these two?!? At this point there are only 7 cut characters that haven't been brought back, and I would love for them all to return for the heck of it. Even if it were delayed to DLC so it doesn't look like they gave extra priority to 'less relevant characters' (which is stupid--why is the fanbase so stupid that we cry and throw a tantrum about who Sakurai *included*--he had to specifically explain that Lucina, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were "dessert" characters that took minimal effort to include because everyone was like waaaaa why did *they* get included??? and he even put them in their own corner in the CSS to try to convey this, /rant)--anyway, I would love to see the return of them in the same vein as Dr. Mario, Mewtwo and Roy.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
To me, :4lucina:, :4drmario:, and :4darkpit: are either going to become alt costumes or get the axe entirely.

:4cloud: I also think has a good probability of being cut, but not as much, because while he's completely his own character, he's sorta in this weird position I feel. Like, not only is he third-party, but he is currently the only SE rep, has little presence on Nintendo systems outside of Smash and cameos in FF spin-offs, and the way his series was represented in Smash 4 was kinda half-assed I feel. I also have the feeling that he's either going to be replaced with a different Final Fantasy character, or someone from a completely separate Square-Enix IP, but who knows really.

Next, I think that :4ryu: isn't completely guaranteed, but considering that he came out when Mega Man was already in the game and he doesn't suffer as much from the kind of problems that Cloud has as mentioned above, I'd hardly rule him out.

Finally, while idk if :4wiifit: will be cut or not, if he/she comes back in Smash 5, he/she will probably be an unlockable character due to Wii Fit not being relevant in a long time, and the Trainer lacking the "WTF" factor now than when he/she was first revealed.

Pretty much every other veteran in Smash 4 I'm pretty confident is safe, albeit to somewhat varying extents.

In terms of veterans coming back, I think that :popo: is highly likely due to being cut in Smash 4 only because of 3DS limitations and they are rather popular couple, so to speak. :wolf: is also probably coming back as well due to his popularity, but probably not as high of probability as the Ice Climbers. :ivysaur:and :squirtle: probably aren't coming back due to newer Pokemon demanding more attention, and if Squirtle and/or Ivysaur make a comeback, I highly doubt it will be in their :pt: form. :snake: is an interesting case, while he's very popular and has a unique moveset, I think he's going to keep us waiting due to general licensing issues, Konami not being in a very good spot, and that he was cut from Smash 4, even though it came before the Kojima vs Konami debacle went public and TPP hype was building up at the time. Anyway, :pichumelee: I think is highly unlikely to come back, but I feel that there's a very small sliver of hope because Sakurai might do it to troll people. Finally, :younglinkmelee: was replaced by :4tlink:, plain and simple; he has no chance.

So yeah, there's my take on all this.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Dark Pit can easily be decloned, and unoike Lucina and Dr. Mario kid Icarus only has two other reps not 5+ so it would be more of a loss.

I dont think we’ll get many cuts, if any.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Dark Pit can easily be decloned, and unoike Lucina and Dr. Mario kid Icarus only has two other reps not 5+ so it would be more of a loss.

I dont think we’ll get many cuts, if any.
idk if decloning Dark Pit is worth it and it's been 6 years since Uprising, with currently there being no new game in sight, so I also don't know if we need more than just Pit and Palutena on the roster.

While I don't want more FE characters at least that series is more relevant

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
idk if decloning Dark Pit is worth it and it's been 6 years since Uprising, with currently there being no new game in sight, so I also don't know if we need more than just Pit and Palutena on the roster.
That’s more reason to keep him, if we’re not getting a new game let the series live through smash. I want Viridi in too.
And there’s tons and tons from uprising they can use to declone him, I was planning on making a thread for him.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
That’s more reason to keep him, if we’re not getting a new game let the series live through smash. I want Viridi in too.
And there’s tons and tons from uprising they can use to declone him, I was planning on making a thread for him.
The time that could be used to declone Dark Pit or add in some other KI character could instead be used to implement a fighter from a more relevant series. I agree that the series should "live on" in Smash to some capacity, but to me, Pit and Palutena are all that's needed.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
The time that could be used to declone Dark Pit or add in some other KI character could instead be used to implement a fighter from a more relevant series. I agree that the series should "live on" in Smash to some capacity, but to me, Pit and Palutena are all that's needed.
If they decide to do it it wouldn’t be preventing anyone else from making it in. I’m fine with just a new kid Icarus character like Viridi instead but there’s no reason they can’t do both. Sakurai showed the series a lot of love in 4 and he should keep showing it love if he’s not going to make a new game for it anytime soon.
It being not relevant doesn’t matter, we’re at a point where the roster has all the really iconic Nintendo characters, they can add or flesh out whatever series they want.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
If they decide to do it it wouldn’t be preventing anyone else from making it in. I’m fine with just a new kid Icarus character like Viridi instead but there’s no reason they can’t do both. Sakurai showed the series a lot of love in 4 and he should keep showing it love if he’s not going to make a new game for it anytime soon.
It being not relevant doesn’t matter, we’re at a point where the roster has all the really iconic Nintendo characters, they can add or flesh out whatever series they want.
There are ways to show a series some love in Smash other than playable fighters, like new stages, music, and assist trophies. And I get it that most of Nintendo's iconic characters have made it into Smash, but there are plenty of non-Kid Icarus characters from retro and current Nintendo franchises to third-parties that are looking for attention, so idk if a brand new KI character or a decloned Dark Pit could make the cut; it's not like you can add in every character that's highly requested.

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
I do think that cutting is going to get more common though, since - as much as we'd love to have it - they can't just keep expanding the roster infinitely.
Well I will admit I honestly forgot about Ivysaur and Squirtle, that was more or less a "Well we have to cut Pokemon Trainer due to 3DS limitations, which of the three do we want to carry over so we don't over-saturate the roster with Pokemon characters?" I guess this case was similar to Olimar/Ice Climbers but way more severe than Olimar and less severe than Ice Climbers.

I don't think cutting will become more common. The characters themselves don't take a whole lot of work once they've been made to actually bring into the next Smash unless they do remodels/moveset reworks like they did with Ike or what they'll likely be doing with Link for example. They really just need to make the newer updated models since at this point they can really just reuse the animations from the previous entree and edit anything if necessary, and then tweak movesets or numbers if they want to.

Perhaps newer characters will become less common though since they are the ones that actually take the MOST workload unless you're a clone character.(Which I don't understand why people complain about them since they take next to no effort and are last minute inclusions. They're basically the goody bags from a party.)

Last edited:

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
How will Pokemon be handled? We have quite a lot already, but there will 100% be a new rep, so the number will increase even further.

:4pikachu:is obviously staying.

:4jigglypuff:is staying solely because of her original 12 status (otherwise, she's probably the least relevant character in the entire smash series currently).

:4charizard:is almost Pikachu levels of popular; he's staying.

:4lucario:has also hit mega levels of popularity, so he's staying too.

:4greninja:has a chance of getting cut, but he too is popular so I don't think so. I'd say he's 98% coming back, with the 2% reserved for if they feel like they have to cut a pokemon.

:4mewtwo:is kinda tricky, as is the case for all DLC characters. However, the fact they brought him back in such a fashion shows they know he's ultra popular, so I think he has a very good chance of coming back.

:squirtle:and :ivysaur: could come back, but they'd probably have to come back with :pt:, and if not that, then I'd say Squirtle has a higher chance than Ivysaur (which is still low). However, Pokemon would become pretty saturated with them plus the newcomer, so I'd say no. However, that didn't stop Fire Emblem from getting as many as they did, and the Pokemon series is one of the series that could get away with disproportionate representation.

:pichumelee: 's corpse has been decaying for a while.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Well I will admit I honestly forgot about Ivysaur and Squirtle, that was more or less a "Well we have to cut Pokemon Trainer due to 3DS limitations, which of the three do we want to carry over so we don't over-saturate the roster with Pokemon characters?" I guess this case was similar to Olimar/Ice Climbers but way more severe than Olimar and less severe than Ice Climbers.

I don't think cutting will become more common. The characters themselves don't take a whole lot of work once they've been made to actually bring into the next Smash unless they do remodels/moveset reworks like they did with Ike or what they'll likely be doing with Link for example. They really just need to make the newer updated models since at this point they can really just reuse the animations from the previous entree and edit anything if necessary, and then tweak movesets or numbers if they want to.

Perhaps newer characters will become less common though since they are the ones that actually take the MOST workload unless you're a clone character.(Which I don't understand why people complain about them since they take next to no effort and are last minute inclusions. They're basically the goody bags from a party.)
I very much agree with this. By the end of the first round of DLC Sm4sh's only missing characters were Pichu (HA), Young Link (if you don't count Toon Link as just 'new YL'). Then you have Snake for seemingly obvious reasons, IC's for technical limiations and Squirtle/Ivysaur for technical limitations/preventing roster bloating with first gen pokemon. The only unexplained absence is Wolf.

People are being extremely 'doomsayer'-y with their roster predictions (I admit I fall into this category too), but by the end of DLC I don't think it's too lofty to expect 0 everyone (except Pichu lol) to return (also barring 3rd party complications).

chemo

Smash Apprentice
what would be the point though, either declone them a little or keep them as is
It's my hypothesis if they get cut. Obviously there's a chance that they will come back in Smash 5 unscathed or even decloned, but they're the lowest priority characters of the current lot and I wouldn't be surprised if either of the things I mentioned happen.

D

Deleted member

Going into Smash 4 before its release I was suuuper conservative on roster predictions; I thought there might be fewer characters than Brawl and that they'd scale back and focus on refinement. Ha. They refined AND gave us a boatload of characters after everything was said and done.
So probably most 'threatened' characters will return and very few will get axed, if any.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am very certain most veterans are staying cause of how close this release is to Smash 4 Wii U and how easily it is to port data over.

Cuts will happen cause of priority of the series / character and relevance and 3rd party negociations going wrong.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
If anyone was to be cut, it'd be these ones
  1. Corrin - Totally irrelevant (Not in any recent main series games. Warriors and Heroes count as spin-offs) + not safe as he/she was only added as one of the last characters to be put in as DLC
  2. Rosalina - I liked the idea, but sadly she doesn't have a great chance with other unique characters like king boo and kamek being more widely requested than others (except for Captain Toad + Waluigi)
  3. Dark Pit - 100% Pit clone, doesn't have much of a chance to return, especially without any games keeping him relevant
  4. Lucina - Also 100% clone, but of Marth, who is probably the most boring character in smash
  5. Duck Hunt - Fun while it lasted, but I highly doubt this duo's return

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
  1. Corrin - Totally irrelevant + not safe as he/she was only added as one of the last characters to be put in as DLC
  2. Rosalina - I liked the idea, but sadly she doesn't have a great chance with characters like king boo and kamek being widely requested
  3. Dark Pit - 100% Pit clone, doesn't have much of a chance to return, especially without any games keeping him relevant
  4. Lucina - Also 100% clone, but of Marth, who is probably the most boring character in smash
king boo and kamek are widely requested?

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
  1. Corrin - Totally irrelevant + not safe as he/she was only added as one of the last characters to be put in as DLC
  2. Rosalina - I liked the idea, but sadly she doesn't have a great chance with characters like king boo and kamek being widely requested
1. Corrin was in fire emblem warriors and is featured in heroes
2. I don’t know what universe you live in where king boo and kamek are requested
3. Him being a clone is why he’s in, because he’s easily to implement. If anything he’s getting decloned
4. She’s one of the most popular fire emblem characters, and like dark Pit is easy to implement
5. They have a unique moveset and they’re iconic, why would they be removed?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
The character I feel like having the biggest chance of being cut is the Pokémon Trainer because the removal of transformations had actually improved Charizard, Zelda, Sheik, Samus and Zero Suit Samus. Bringing back transformations would be like bringing back tripping. And Squirtle and Ivysaur can be improved without the Trainer.

D

Deleted member

The character I feel like having the biggest chance of being cut is the Pokémon Trainer because the removal of transformations had actually improved Charizard, Zelda, Sheik, Samus and Zero Suit Samus. Bringing back transformations would be like bringing back tripping. And Squirtle and Ivysaur can be improved without the Trainer.
If by "cut" you mean "never returning" then yes I agree about the Pokemon Trainer. And yes I'd also love for Squirtle and Ivysaur to return. Bulbasuar is one of my favorite Pokemon and Ivysaur is a spitting image so I'm therefore a huge fan of Ivysaur. Venasaur though....why. Why is he so ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom