• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Veterans Should Enter or Cut?? Smash Switch Discussion and Thread

Outside of Clones, What Character Group Will Have The Greatest Chance to Get Cut?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Lucina and Roy are the only ones most likely to get the ax IMO, Especially Lucina though whom is one of the most unpopular clones in Smash 4 besides Dark Pit. (at most they will probably domote her to an alt costume like intended with how much more tech capabilities the Switch has) Doc is also fairly in danger for that matter considering, despite retaining his Melee moveset - he had his physics nerfed beyond belief and his recovery is non-existent compared to the oversight in coding for Melee.
Why would more power result in less characters? Also, I'd say she's more popular than Dark Pit. However, I think both should be Luigifiied eventually.

Gune

Smash Lord
Anybody saying Greninja is likely to be cut for being from a previous generation is massively underestimating his popularity. In the anime he's practically reached pikachu level, and it's reflected in game with his 'ash' transformation.
I think you may be overestimating the popularity of greninja quite a bit, I wouldnt say he reached pikachu level by any means as he was being pushed extremely hard like everyone just like Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo were in there primes, I think its about fair to assume hes around there level in popularity atleast now that his presnce has died down a bit more advertisement wise. Also im not saying hes unpopular or hes gonna be cut because "Unpopular pokemon with no relevance because gens over hur hur" his popularity seems a bit overshot alot of the time because that japanese poll was taken during his peak of popularity.

As for the topic I dont think were gonna see big cuts really the only two i can see happening are Dr.Mario and Dark pit , Roy and possibly lucina (If she isnt decloned even then i can see her popularity wise still staying in) Thats about it really.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
My one hope is that the technology between the Wii U and switch isn't so drastic that less things have to built from scratch or close to scratch.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Why would more power result in less characters? Also, I'd say she's more popular than Dark Pit. However, I think both should be Luigifiied eventually.
She’s more popular character than Dark Pit, for sure. But as a clone she’s pretty unpopular. (and the “tipper” excuse doesn’t justify much)

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB

Arthur97

Smash Master
She’s more popular character than Dark Pit, for sure. But as a clone she’s pretty unpopular. (and the “tipper” excuse doesn’t justify much)
I thought she had picked up in Smash popularity.
Regardless though, I think they should be Luigified.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Lucina could certainly be saved by her popularity. 2nd in the first major popularity poll for CYL and absolutely the biggest female in FE barring Lyn.

If she isn't a playable character in full, she'll probably be an alternate of Marth like how they originally intended to do so. I could see Sakurai making some modifications to her, and I'd hope so, honestly.

In all honesty, I don't really see a high amount of cuts at the moment. I'm more willing to believe that things are going to be taken a bit from Wii U and that will result in less cuts if any; I don't really think anyone is sincerely on the chopping block barring third parties if they aren't able to renegotiate things (but at this point I think all of 4's third parties are easily attainable barring Cloud, Bayonetta and Sonic are pretty much a safe lock at this point), but if anyone was, it'd be Dark Pit and maybe Dr. Mario. Perhaps WFT, but I think that's a bit of a stretch at this time.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Didn't she appear in the anime again? Not sure to what extend, just heard about it.

Either way Jiggs has definitely seen darker days, every game there's always talk about how she could be cut due to not being relevant anymore, but then she makes it anyway, I don't see why it'd be any different now. She won the lottery when she was chosen to be playable in Smash 64 as it seems to have secured her future in the franchise.
people talk about her popularity "going down" but she gets played more than Lucario and Charizard (two supposedly more popular characters) in online character usage. Clearly Nintendo knows people use her in Smash.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I figure that, if any Fire Emblem character is going to go, it would be Roy.

Marth, Robin, Ike, and Corrin are likely staying; Sakurai doesn't like cutting characters, since he's aware that they all have their fans, and it seems like that would especially apply for unique characters, who couldn't be easily replaced by the people who play as them.

Between Lucina and Roy, Lucina's popularity is noteworthy enough that Nintendo and Intelligent Systems insisted that she should be included in Fire Emblem Warriors, while Roy was added because he was the most popular Melee veteran who wasn't already in Smash 4 and could be added without technical issues.

This means that he was more popular than Pichu and Young Link. (or possibly just Pichu, if Toon Link is considered an update for Young Link) That's... not exactly a high bar to pass.

That's just my two cents, of course.
Also consider the fact that he was already cut due to being low priority in Brawl and, despite his fan demand, was only considered high enough priority to return as a DLC character. Logically it makes sense to view the most expendable characters being the ones that already were cut, because if Roy was already cut once due to low priority, what's to stop him from being low priority once again?

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Also consider the fact that he was already cut due to being low priority in Brawl and, despite his fan demand, was only considered high enough priority to return as a DLC character. Logically it makes sense to view the most expendable characters being the ones that already were cut, because if Roy was already cut once due to low priority, what's to stop him from being low priority once again?
Remember that Mewtwo had to be completely remade from the ground up because they couldn't pull assets from Melee. Logically the same could be said for Roy as well. If they're willing to go through that much effort to bring back a character, why cut them again?

EDIT: In this interview, Sakurai says they used Marth as a base, so the above isn't true (well, the part about Mewtwo is). However, in that same interview, he said that Roy was almost as popular as Mewtwo. If that's the case, I don't see him getting cut again. Could be wrong, though.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think any Fire Emblem character is going to get cut. They are all equally relevant on their own. Lucina should also stay, and I don't necessarily want her having a full overhaul.

She's a pretty smart adition, and I think clones shouldn't be hated so much. They add a certain debt, and I'd rather want more than less.

Anyway, Fire Emblem hasn't had a new release since Echoes. And am thinking they are keeping the current roster and maybe add Alm or / and Celica. This is similar to what has happened with Robin and Lucina.

Not too anxious about any other cuts at the moment. But I have a couple of suspects which could realistically be cut. One being the Mii Fighters. As they where heavily time cosuming and also unpopular, felt kinda forced as well.

Wii Fit Trainer is a character I could see getting cut as well for whatever reasons. Her absense might be as much as a shock as her initial reveal.

I don't think lesser "relevant" characters from excisting franchises we expect newcomers from are gonna get cut either. So Greninja, Lucario, Shulk, Ike, Roy, and even Sheik should be relatively safe.

Mewtwo also isn't leaving but I don't expect him to be revealed early. He had lots of attention with the developers trough patch updates. So I think it's very likely they are gonna transfer him over from Smash 4 virtually unchanged.

Speaking of, there where several characters in Smash 4 who felt copy pasted from Brawl as well. Zelda, Ganondorf, Samus, Diddy, Jigglypuff, Link and Charizard... I expect similar overhauls as Bowser, Yoshi, Pit, Sheik and Zero Suit Samus had. In which case, them seemingly building up from Smash 4 is a GOOD thing!

Only characters I could see cut realistically are third parties. Sonic, Bayonetta, Mega Man are almost a given. Dunno about the rest.

I really don't want them to rush this game. Cause that could potentially make up for more time contrain cuts. As Mewtwo, Dr.Mario and Roy in Brawl. And Lucas and Wolf in Smash 4.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'd be really happy if there were no cuts at all. Or, at least turning cut characters into alternate costumes for existing ones. There's nothing worse than a cut.

...Prior to Smash 4 DLC, you can understand how I felt about this as a Roy, Lucas, Ivysaur (still rip) main.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It really is annoying to lose novel fighting styles. Clones, yeah. It’s easy enough to make them alternate costumes, especially now that SSB4 did it with a few characters.

However, I realize we can’t have an infinite roster. That's why I love DLC. Bring back the vets people miss most, and not everyone has to buy it. With modern filetypes, they can just port over, so it’s minimal work (and cost) to give people the option of getting favorites back without bloating the vanilla roster.

I really want this since it probably is my only chance of getting Squirtle back...

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I just hope none of the veteran dlc characters are cut. Cause it would suck to have to pay for them twice or worse not have them appear at all

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
There is a video I found that is related to this discussion. This video is made by Mr. Pickle, a Smash Youtuber who uploads mostly Melee videos. Surprisingly, this youtuber uploads a video about Smash Switch (When I mean suprising, most Melee players were very finicky in each Smash game because they want it to be like Melee, so they are more disinterested in the next iteration in comparison to the Smash 4 players). In this video, Mr. Pickles gives his thoughts and predictions of his top 4 Smash 4 characters that may not return in Smash Switch.

Here is the video:

If you are unable to watch the video, I'll list the top 4 characters that may not make the cut and copied his key explanation and reasons why they couldn't make the cut.

4: :4robinm: and :4corrinf:
Reason: No Longer Relevant, Replaced by Newer FE Character

Explanation:
"Characters are often added to Smash that are relevant to other games popular at that time, not only for fan-service but to also advertise those games. Smash 4 took full advantage of this by adding two new Fire Emblem reps, Robin and Corrin."

"Now, however, approximately 3 years later, the games associated with these characters are no longer the newest in the series, and thus there are newer characters that will likely replace them - similar to how Ike replace Roy in Brawl."

"With Fire Emblem: Echoes being released in 2017, the main protagonist - Alm and Celica are most likely to replace Robin and Corrin if they're removed. Robin and Corrin may very well be here to stay, just like Marth and Ike."

3: :4greninja:
Reason: No Longer Relevant, Replaced by Newer Pokemon

Explanation:
"Similar to the Fire Emblem Franchise, the Pokemon Franchise tends to have a new rep to represent the newest generation of Pokemon in each new game. In Melee, it was Pichu. In Brawl, it was Lucario, and in Smash 4, it was Greninja."

"They may very well decide to place Greninja with a Gen 7 favorite like Decidueye or perhaps even Golisopod."

2. 3rd Party Characters (:4bayonetta:/:4cloud2:/:4megaman:/:4sonic:/:4pacman:/:4ryu:)
Reason: Lack of Collaboration between Companies

Explanation:
"Introduce in Brawl, 3rd party characters have always been important to the hype of Smash. However for a 3rd party character to happen both Nintendo and the fellow company must co-operate."

"Like what happened with Snake, there's a significant chance that a few 3rd party characters won't make it into Smash 5."

"Due to Nintendo's close ties with Sega, Sonic and Bayonetta should make a return. We can't be sure about anyone else though."

1. The Clones: (:4lucina:/:4drmario:/:4darkpit:)
Reason: Unnecessary, Clones, Irrelevant

Explanation:
"Finally, there are three distinct "Clones" in Smash 4 who were added late into development: Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit. These were characters that could've been implemented easiy because of how similar they are to their original counterparts."

So...

What is your feedback about his predictions? Do you agree or disagree? If you don't want to look at the post, you can ignore it.

That is all for now... :)

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
There is a video I found that is related to this discussion. This video is made by Mr. Pickle, a Smash Youtuber who uploads mostly Melee videos. Surprisingly, this youtuber uploads a video about Smash Switch (When I mean suprising, most Melee players were very finicky in each Smash game because they want it to be like Melee, so they are more disinterested in the next iteration in comparison to the Smash 4 players). In this video, Mr. Pickles gives his thoughts and predictions of his top 4 Smash 4 characters that may not return in Smash Switch.

Here is the video:

If you are unable to watch the video, I'll list the top 4 characters that may not make the cut and copied his key explanation and reasons why they couldn't make the cut.

Explanation:
"Characters are often added to Smash that are relevant to other games popular at that time, not only for fan-service but to also advertise those games. Smash 4 took full advantage of this by adding two new Fire Emblem reps, Robin and Corrin."

"Now, however, approximately 3 years later, the games associated with these characters are no longer the newest in the series, and thus there are newer characters that will likely replace them - similar to how Ike replace Roy in Brawl."

"With Fire Emblem: Echoes being released in 2017, the main protagonist - Alm and Celica are most likely to replace Robin and Corrin if they're removed. Robin and Corrin may very well be here to stay, just like Marth and Ike."
That last sentence seems rather contradictory. Something people seem to forget, is that Roy was a clone, they aren't.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I never feel comfortable with 3rd parties. I really just hope :4megaman::4pacman::4sonic:return. They're the perfect trio imo.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I never really agreed with the no longer relevant thing, as no character in Smash bros was cut for that reason. Mewtwo and Roy in Brawl have unused data meaning they were likely cut for time constraints, which is also why they returned as DLC in Smash 4. It's likely Lucas wasn't finished by the time of Smash 4's release making him dlc.
Ike didn't replace Roy, Lucario didn't replace Mewtwo.
Greninja and Robin are both popular and unique, I highly doubt they will be replaced. They may be cut due to being lower priority, but I doubt ir honestly.
Clones aren't really unnecessary in my eyes, as it allows well liked characters that are similar to others get in smash without much lost.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Here is the video:

Explanation:

3: :4greninja:
Reason: No Longer Relevant, Replaced by Newer Pokemon

Explanation:
"Similar to the Fire Emblem Franchise, the Pokemon Franchise tends to have a new rep to represent the newest generation of Pokemon in each new game. In Melee, it was Pichu. In Brawl, it was Lucario, and in Smash 4, it was Greninja."

"They may very well decide to place Greninja with a Gen 7 favorite like Decidueye or perhaps even Golisopod."

2. 3rd Party Characters (:4bayonetta:/:4cloud2:/:4megaman:/:4sonic:/:4pacman:/:4ryu:)
Reason: Lack of Collaboration between Companies

Explanation:
"Introduce in Brawl, 3rd party characters have always been important to the hype of Smash. However for a 3rd party character to happen both Nintendo and the fellow company must co-operate."

"Like what happened with Snake, there's a significant chance that a few 3rd party characters won't make it into Smash 5."

"Due to Nintendo's close ties with Sega, Sonic and Bayonetta should make a return. We can't be sure about anyone else though."

1. The Clones: (:4lucina:/:4drmario:/:4darkpit:)
Reason: Unnecessary, Clones, Irrelevant

Explanation:
"Finally, there are three distinct "Clones" in Smash 4 who were added late into development: Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit. These were characters that could've been implemented easiy because of how similar they are to their original counterparts."

So...

What is your feedback about his predictions? Do you agree or disagree? If you don't want to look at the post, you can ignore it.

That is all for now... :)
Honestly doubt it. Their movesets where carefully created and Smash Switch is looking like it uses the models of Smash 4. I honestly doubt they are gonna remove very popular characters just because. It might now be easier than ever to port characters over. "Relevance" won't hurt Corrin, Greninja or Robin if it doesn't hurt Sheik.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Honestly doubt it. Their movesets where carefully created and Smash Switch is looking like it uses the models of Smash 4. I honestly doubt they are gonna remove very popular characters just because. It might now be easier than ever to port characters over. "Relevance" won't hurt Corrin, Greninja or Robin if it doesn't hurt Sheik.
Sheik has been in Smash since Melee yet Sheik hadn't any major appearance outside of OoT. Who knows about Corrin, Greninja, or Robin.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sheik has been in Smash since Melee yet Sheik hadn't any major appearance outside of OoT. Who knows about Corrin, Greninja, or Robin.
Greninja will just be an insanely popular character in all upcoming Pokemon games, no Pokemon has ever been cut in the mainline Pokemon games. He's been MORE popular since Smash, same with Lucina. Robin am 50/50 about honestly, as Sakurai directly stated he probably wouldn't be in if Smash 4 began later in development, plus there's Corrin. However, both Awakening and Fates did a lot for the franchise, plus Fates had THREE games .. Birthright, Conquest and Revelations. That essentially makes Corrin a Lord 3 times. Both are also highly unique. I doubt there'll be many changes with Fire Emblem.

Sheik is also relevant cause of Hyrule Warriors, but outside of that, she only ever had Ocarina of Time. Which is why I mentoined her. I can't think of any other character that's as shoehorned as her, outside of maybe Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon who are 99,9% safe because Smash Bros. 64.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Speak of Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff, I don't think that the original 12, by any chance, will miss the cut.

Even though there are obscure and irrelevant character in the original 12 (Such as Jigglypuff, Ness, and Captain Falcon), they did appear on every Smash game whatsoever...and that staples it from confirming that they are obviously going to appear in the next Smash game.

Also, what about the R.O.B. :4rob:? Before the Smash 4 being release, many people speculate that R.O.B. could of not return in Smash 4 because of its obscurity. Since Smash 4 has R.O.B., I wonder if R.O.B. will have any chances to enter Smash 5 or miss the cut, especially the obscurity of the character and the poor representation from it (Coining the "R.O.B. is a dying race" meme).

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
None of those characters are obscure any longer. In fact, Jigglypuff was never actually obscure considering her cultural impact during the peak of Pokemon's popularity.
I could see about Jigglypuff, but Captain Falcon and Ness are pretty obscure when Smash 64 was released.

Ness is from EarthBound, a cult classical RPG that started off very sloppy by it's weak advertisements internationally. Earthbound rises to popularity as a cult classic game when Smash 64 had been released. Many people were suprised that Ness appeared in the original Smash game. Since EarthBound was obscure in the United States, people want to know more about Ness, so they played his game. As people know about Ness in Smash, people began to play Earthbound and began to grew a cult classic fanbase. Without Smash or Ness not appearing in Smash, EarthBound will just be in the void of obscurity.

F-Zero is the same thing but the franchise is more popular internationally than EarthBound. Still, without Captain Falcon in Smash, F-Zero franchise will have lower fanbase and lower popularity.

Sure they are popular right now but at that time, they are obscure. Without Smash, they are in the void of obscurity.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
There are many characters introduced from 64 to Brawl that I wish they would consider bigger priorities to include in the base game. Having to spend extra money to get Lucas and Mewtwo back, and not getting Ice Climbers at all left me feeling skeptical about Smash 4, and I'm glad I skipped it in the long run after realizing how 'meh' the rest of the game content turned out to be.
Here is the bare minimum veteran roster I'd need to see to still be interested in picking up Smash 5:

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4bowserjr::4dk::4diddy::4yoshi::4wario2::4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4fox::4kirby::4metaknight::4dedede::4samus::4zss::4falcon::4ness::4lucas::popo::4marth::4gaw::4pit::4olimar::4rob::4villager::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu:
Lucas and Mewtwo may not make it to the base game yet again, and Ryu may not be boosted into a higher priority than the other third-party characters, so - if the rest of the in-game content is lame - this will just be another entry I skip and I'll likely be done with Smash period.

I would not miss any of the other veterans if they are DLC or not included, but most of them are guaranteed to come back anyway.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
It really is annoying to lose novel fighting styles. Clones, yeah. It’s easy enough to make them alternate costumes, especially now that SSB4 did it with a few characters.

However, I realize we can’t have an infinite roster. That's why I love DLC. Bring back the vets people miss most, and not everyone has to buy it. With modern filetypes, they can just port over, so it’s minimal work (and cost) to give people the option of getting favorites back without bloating the vanilla roster.

I really want this since it probably is my only chance of getting Squirtle back...
I'm on board with that idea. I'd pay to bring back any unique character that got the axe.

As for clones, while I wouldn't spend money on them, I'm sure their fans would.

If anybody is on the chopping block, I'd say it's Dark Pit. He seems to be the one that people responded to the most negatively, and also, at the moment, offers the least to the roster. To his favor, Uprising has a great deal of different weaponry that can be used to revamp his character, which would be a better option than outright dropping him.

Lucina is a little iffy, but I think she is popular, at least in the FE fanbase. She did get a playable role in Warriors and is the, albeit disguised, face of the Tempest Trials in Heroes. She, unfortunately, doesn't have much available in terms of Luigification since a large part of her character is to pose as Marth, so they really can stray too far from that.

Honestly, I could live with them all returning (namely with something to set them apart from the character they are aping), or being demoted to alternate costumes, though it may, ironically, take more work to demote them than to just port them over.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Again, this game may not have cuts if uses the same engine or is a deluxe port, but Jigglypuff has not necessarily been historically safe. I b
I'm on board with that idea. I'd pay to bring back any unique character that got the axe.

As for clones, while I wouldn't spend money on them, I'm sure their fans would.

If anybody is on the chopping block, I'd say it's Dark Pit. He seems to be the one that people responded to the most negatively, and also, at the moment, offers the least to the roster. To his favor, Uprising has a great deal of different weaponry that can be used to revamp his character, which would be a better option than outright dropping him.

Lucina is a little iffy, but I think she is popular, at least in the FE fanbase. She did get a playable role in Warriors and is the, albeit disguised, face of the Tempest Trials in Heroes. She, unfortunately, doesn't have much available in terms of Luigification since a large part of her character is to pose as Marth, so they really can stray too far from that.

Honestly, I could live with them all returning (namely with something to set them apart from the character they are aping), or being demoted to alternate costumes, though it may, ironically, take more work to demote them than to just port them over.
She is several millennia separated from Marth. Odds are she wouldn't know how he fought anyways. In warriors she fights like Chrom, not Marth, though in Awakening itself, she has some different animations from Chrom. She also wielded a bow in steam and warriors so they could work with that. Don't overestimate how much of her character is posing as Marth.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Again, this game may not have cuts if uses the same engine or is a deluxe port, but Jigglypuff has not necessarily been historically safe. I b

She is several millennia separated from Marth. Odds are she wouldn't know how he fought anyways. In warriors she fights like Chrom, not Marth, though in Awakening itself, she has some different animations from Chrom. She also wielded a bow in steam and warriors so they could work with that. Don't overestimate how much of her character is posing as Marth.
I understand what you mean. My point is that in pretty much every appearance she makes, they always include her faux-Marth schtick. She is undoubtedly her own character, but masquerade is very much an iconic part of her character. I would imagine this would manifest as some Marthness in her abilities.

Of course, I do wholely support a decloned version of her using different weapons. There is more to FE than swords. I saw a pitch for her using a lance which I can totally get behind.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I understand what you mean. My point is that in pretty much every appearance she makes, they always include her faux-Marth schtick. She is undoubtedly her own character, but masquerade is very much an iconic part of her character. I would imagine this would manifest as some Marthness in her abilities.

Of course, I do wholely support a decloned version of her using different weapons. There is more to FE than swords. I saw a pitch for her using a lance which I can totally get behind.
She still needs the sword as her primary as the sword is her signature weapon, but, yes, a variety of weapons would allow for a rather unique moveset.

Personally though, I don't like the "Marth" disguise. It's my least favorite part of her character and I think it might do her some good to be accurately portrayed. They didn't even give her her own idle stance. Even Warriors seemed to just take the lazy way out, but at least they did that plus some differences in most of her special moves. Though, of note, she was a clone of Chrom, not Marth. Perhaps they could combine the two styles for something newish.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Lucas, Roy and Mewtwo, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man and the other Pokemon are safe. They are notable and fan-favorites. Cloud is relatively popular (despite the poor way his series was handled in game) and Ryu fits well here as a character from an actual fighting game. Corrin only appeared in one game that was kind of relevant and could be cut. Bayonetta could be cut, but since she's basically a second party character at this point I doubt she will be. The (new) Fire Emblem characters could be cut as they are all generic and fight with swords. Lucina and Dark Pit will most likely be re-worked or cut but Doc is a fan-favorite and if Mario is revamped to an Oddessy Mario, Doc would retain his old moveset. Also, I don't think they will cut most of the retro characters becasue they are Nintendo staples.

I don't think any Fire Emblem character is going to get cut. They are all equally relevant on their own. Lucina should also stay, and I don't necessarily want her having a full overhaul.

She's a pretty smart adition, and I think clones shouldn't be hated so much. They add a certain debt, and I'd rather want more than less.

Anyway, Fire Emblem hasn't had a new release since Echoes. And am thinking they are keeping the current roster and maybe add Alm or / and Celica. This is similar to what has happened with Robin and Lucina.
The reason why Fire Emblem is probably gonna get some cuts is because even Sakurai himself has stated that 6 Fire Emblem characters is too much.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The reason why Fire Emblem is probably gonna get some cuts is because even Sakurai himself has stated that 6 Fire Emblem characters is too much.
I still really doubt they are gonna cut the current cast members of Fire Emblem. It's easier for them than ever to port over characters from game to game. Unless a character because obsolute, as Ice Climbers (also technical limitations but there's ALSO a Sakurai interview stated that Ice Climbers wheren't a priority cause of their obscure status as gaming characters) or Young Link I doubt there'll be cuts. Maybe Roy if they choose to revamp Lucina into a Marth semi-clone. Yet, Falco and Wolf are also both Fox semi-clones and Wolf is highly requested, so I don't see why this case should be different. Roy wasn't more relevant back when he was added to Smash 4 either. Lucina in fact got even MORE popular since her inclusion in Smash 4.

Ike isn't ever leaving either for obvious reason. Marth shouldn't even be questioned. Robin and Corrin have unique mechanics that set them apart a lot, Lucina and Roy are also quite easy to recreate to being based on Marth. I really don't see why any of them should get cut.

In fact, give me Alm and Celica, and even Lyn. I wouldn't mind.

I still really doubt they are gonna cut the current cast members of Fire Emblem. It's easier for them than ever to port over characters from game to game. Unless a character because obsolute, as Ice Climbers (also technical limitations but there's ALSO a Sakurai interview stated that Ice Climbers wheren't a priority cause of their obscure status as gaming characters) or Young Link I doubt there'll be cuts. Maybe Roy if they choose to revamp Lucina into a Marth semi-clone. Yet, Falco and Wolf are also both Fox semi-clones and Wolf is highly requested, so I don't see why this case should be different. Roy wasn't more relevant back when he was added to Smash 4 either. Lucina in fact got even MORE popular since her inclusion in Smash 4.

Ike isn't ever leaving either for obvious reason. Marth shouldn't even be questioned. Robin and Corrin have unique mechanics that set them apart a lot, Lucina and Roy are also quite easy to recreate to being based on Marth. I really don't see why any of them should get cut.

I mean, I respect your opinion, but I just want to make one thing perfectly clear;

WOLF. IS. NOT. A. GOD. DAMN. CLONE. OF. FOX. HE. IS. NOT. EVEN. A. SEMI. CLONE. And I am sick and tired of people saying he is. Outside of his getup animations and Final Smash, he shares nothing with Fox. Nothing! (Before anybody says special moves, even though they are named similarly, they function quite differently from Fox's.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I mean, I respect your opinion, but I just want to make one thing perfectly clear;

WOLF. IS. NOT. A. GOD. DAMN. CLONE. OF. FOX. HE. IS. NOT. EVEN. A. SEMI. CLONE. And I am sick and tired of people saying he is. Outside of his getup animations and Final Smash, he shares nothing with Fox. Nothing! (Before anybody says special moves, even though they are named similarly, they function quite differently from Fox's.)
Lucas also has a unique grab mechanic, a different Neutral B in name and function, fastly different functionaling Specials, different normals and aerials but only has a similar Side Smash as Ness, and he's still being considered a Ness semi-clone.

Wolf is definitely build up from assets using Fox's moveset. He might feel more unique than certain semi-clones, but in the end, he's still one of them. Doesn't make him less warranted or anything. It's just straight up facts.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Lucas also has a unique grab mechanic, a different Neutral B in name and function, fastly different functionaling Specials, different normals and aerials but only has a similar Side Smash as Ness, and he's still being considered a Ness semi-clone.

Wolf is definitely build up from assets using Fox's moveset. He might feel more unique than certain semi-clones, but in the end, he's still one of them. Doesn't make him less warranted or anything. It's just straight up facts.
Eh, he may be built up from Fox, but he doesn't even have very similar physics I think (which Lucas does have to Ness). Though, really, calling Lucas a semi-clone may be hard to justify as well.

The thing with Lucas and Ness is that while you can argue the similarity in their special moves isn't quite enough to classify them as semi-clones, their physics are nearly identical (their size, shape, and weight are nigh-identical, and in Brawl they both suffered from 10 extra frames upon being grab released unlike any other character) and their playstyles are pretty similar. Plus, a few of their standard moves are comparable (forward smash, up air and down tilt, while the former uses a different weapon and the lattermost has a different animation, they function identically to Ness' versions), and they play pretty similarly. To me, that's barely enough to classify them as semi-clones.

Meanwhile, with Wolf and Fox, their physics are completely different, they don't even share any loose similarity in their normal moves, they play very differently, and while Ness and Lucas's special moves do have differing functionality, their mechanics are similar, and they are very similar in name and appearance. Wolf's Reflector may be similar mechanically, but the rest of his special moves pretty much only bar extremely loose connections to Fox's to the point where it's pretty much in name only.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The thing with Lucas and Ness is that while you can argue the similarity in their special moves isn't quite enough to classify them as semi-clones, their physics are nearly identical (their size, shape, and weight are nigh-identical, and in Brawl they both suffered from 10 extra frames upon being grab released unlike any other character) and their playstyles are pretty similar. Plus, a few of their standard moves are comparable (forward smash, up air and down tilt, while the former uses a different weapon and the lattermost has a different animation, they function identically to Ness' versions), and they play pretty similarly. To me, that's barely enough to classify them as semi-clones.

Meanwhile, with Wolf and Fox, their physics are completely different, they don't even share any loose similarity in their normal moves, they play very differently, and while Ness and Lucas's special moves do have differing functionality, their mechanics are similar, and they are very similar in name and appearance. Wolf's Reflector may be similar mechanically, but the rest of his special moves pretty much only bar extremely loose connections to Fox's to the point where it's pretty much in name only.
Okay, that's a point you got. But what about Ganondorf and Luigi? They also have drastic different weights, speeds, physics and whatnot compared to Mario and C.Falcon. But they are DEFINITELY semi-clones. With Falco it's pretty much the same thing. Even when they where full blown clones in Melee, and in Luigi's case 64, they had these significant differences between them that made them different in playstyles.

Sorry bro, Wolf is a semi-clone. But a very cool one. I do wish we'd see more semi-clones as Wolf. For example, Dixie Kong and Impa.

Okay, that's a point you got. But what about Ganondorf and Luigi? They also have drastic different weights, speeds, physics and whatnot compared to Mario and C.Falcon. But they are DEFINITELY semi-clones. With Falco it's pretty much the same thing. Even when they where full blown clones in Melee, and in Luigi's case 64, they had these significant differences between them that made them different in playstyles.

Sorry bro, Wolf is a semi-clone. But a very cool one. I do wish we'd see more semi-clones as Wolf. For example, Dixie Kong and Impa.
Yeah, the thing with Ganondorf and Luigi and Falco is that while their playstyles and physics are very different and they are all clearly semi-clones (though Luigi is barely hanging on, with all the changes given to him throughout, still a semi clone, but barely), all three of them still share many moves with their source characters, unlike Wolf. I agree, there should totally be more characters like Wolf. He was quite fun to play, and I still miss him. (sniffs)

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace

I actually don't feel as if Young Link is too obscure with the MM and OoT 3DS remakes. No to mention Shiek only appeared in one game (OoT) and was never cut either. I think they should put Young Link back with Smash 4 Link's moveset (mostly intact) and give Toon Link and Link updated movesets. Half of Link's specials were used by Young Link anyways (down b, up b, a variation of side b)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom