• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of Smasher are You?

LucarioPAX

Smash Cadet
Id say im a casually hardcore competer.

I love the series, and defend it to a fault, but Honestly, i just want to have fun playing it. My best friend plays the game, and were almost an even match. (He'll normally win though, but I dominate in sudden deaths.) And I think If I lose in sudden death, Ive just had a great match. I however dont think that losing by 10 or 20 points is fun, and the same with winning by 20 points. Im not looking to beat everyone by huge amounts of points, im looking to win by one point, and have had a good match. The competative is thrown in, because I am extremely competitive in this game, I WANT to be the best I can be, and I want to be up there, in sudden death, with the best. (Trust me, I never will be.)

Medic

Smash Cadet
Well, I actually fit competitive, casual, and hardcore smasher types.
I love the game to a fault and would play it even if it were in black and white. I enjoy the game and can often be found playing 4-player FFAs with who knows what, making jokes and having a blast.
However, I also play 1v1 competitively and one day hope to become a pro smasher. I want to enjoy the game on all levels, and to me, it just is full of wonder and happiness.

TokyoPurple

Smash Rookie
Hardcore-Casual is probably the best way to describe me. Bought a GC just for SSBM, and got a Wii for the same reason.

I got to a nice comfort level of winning in SSBM, and busted down in SSBB. Still one hell of a game though.

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
I don't know. I get serious and obsessed with any of my interests. I've got two really important interests and they are very time consuming so I'll never be a pro smasher or anything but another interest of mine is smash and there would be no time for pro smashing. Though I still want to go to a a tournament or two and play online tournaments and play the game whenever I have some spare time.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Pro Smasher

Well, I was a pro smasher in melee, traveling all over the nation to tournaments. I didn't win major tournaments, but I placed well and won all the local tournaments. I'm in college now though, so I doubt I will probably just be a competitive smasher in Brawl.

I still have a distaste for Casual Smashers though, even after reading this. I come to smash boards to get better at Smash, here what other people have discovered, and change my play style accordingly. I don't understand why casual players (items on, random stages, hate pros) come to the boards.

Is it to hear about what items make the game more fun? I get annoyed when I have to filter though all the random garbage (posts the don't help me improve at smash) to find something useful at improving my game play.

Maybe there should be another section to the fourms for casual players that says "Post your worthless garbage here"

Vael

Smash Rookie
I am not too sure what type of smsher I would be considered. I do dislike items, as I think that they make the game much less fun. MUCH MUCH MUCH Less fun. I also only really like 1v1's as i think that free for all's also lack any form of fun factor whatsoever. Finally, I do prefer to play on maps like FD or battlefield every single time. Only because things can happen that had nothing to do with the player's skill on stages that are not like those. However, I do enjoy playing with people who are not as good at me. I do not dislike people who are not good at smash, and I definitely have many games that I like much more than smash. I have also never been to a tournament, and can not do some of the techniques very well that are listed on this site.

The Green Marth

Smash Cadet
I used to be a non competetive smasher, but ever since my friend beat me by getting a hammer TWICE, i desided that that was unfair and cheap. now im competetive and hate items, except smash balls :)

xjamz650

Smash Rookie
What kind of smasher are u?!!!!

what r u asking me?? wow i am a smasher! i am one of the Smash Brothers!...im a smash brother

theJollity

Smash Rookie
I'm definitely a Competitive Smasher. I thought I was Casual, but lately I've had the urge to just get better at my smashing, so I guess that makes me competitive. I believe I may also be Hardcore, though I didn't play Melee at all (and actually didn't like it when it first came out). Meh.

Great topic!

XEN2.0

Smash Rookie
I am a competitive/ hardocore smasher. Im not that godd but Im trying. I wish I could be a pro smasher, if only I were older...

SharpSymmetry

Smash Rookie
Umm, I play very well and I like to play a major annoyance, and I find it easy when playing as Kirby. I play against a bunch of my friends who are new at the game, and my brother who has been playing since the first on as well as I have. Me and My brother are both very good and we team up quite frequently, I play as Kirby and he plays as King Dedede, a perfect team in a sense. I do not play against anybody who plays entirely serious and people who consider themselves the best, I also do not play against anybody who plays by "Supposed Tourney Rules" I play with Items, and on any level, because it's a part of the game and I find it incredibly fun to do so. I can measure my skill by saying I've beaten all of the single player events on Hard difficulty, all characters in classic in Hard difficult and all characters in Allstar in Hard difficulty as well as all levels in Subspace Emissary. In Cruel Brawl I've defeated 3 enemies, HEY THAT'S PRETTY GOOD. oh and I can play against to Level 9's on a team against me, I sometimes win and sometimes lose.

PS. I do not find Items unfair, since they are not. How could they be? really, people find them unfair because you could easily lose if you were the victim of a Latios and Latias or a Hammer, but it requires skill to dodge these Items or use them on your own, it requires credibility and cleverness to know ways of not being affected by certain items. For Example. When Latios and Latias are in play, immediately grab a ledge and stay on as long as possible, you're surely not to be affected majorly unless the Pokémon themselves come into contact with you. Also Items create this game to be the Genre it is, PARTY/PLATFORMER not FIGHTING. (period)

Kabii ^.^

diabetic_yoshi

Smash Apprentice
Competitive here. Although it makes getting my friends into the series somewhat hard. I have to put away my Peachkins and play with random chars and items to give them time to catch up. But just like any good book, this game has layers to appease every person. You can take and enjoy the plot at face value, or you can delve deeper into the more hidden aspects of it. Or you can just be an idiot and just admire the pretty, shiny cover. :)

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
no the trick is too balance it out i do that all the time when i play with more than 4 ppl i put items on and stuff so we can have fun .but i also ask them to competivly play me sometimes which they do.

Odendaalrust

Smash Apprentice
I hate when people say:

"I hate people who play Tourny Rules and play without items, I play with items becasue they are part of the game"

Well, hate to break it to you, but playing without items is PART OF THE GAME TOO, that is why it is an OPTION!

Xashlei

Smash Rookie
I find myself torn in between casual gamer and hardcore gamer. I do Brawl for fun mainly, and no matter what happens to it (there are glitches, I lose matches more often, etc.) I plan to keep playing. It's the first game in years to have me play it for over 8 hours a day (during the earlier days I got the game), and recently the least time played was 3 hours, just because we were out (or my sis was playing another game).

pyro_urikane_dark

Smash Rookie
I am and always have been the number one hardcore smasher since the first. Smash has always been a game that grows with the times and brawl isn't any different. I will become the best with the wiimote and show the world just what i, Pyro Dark, can do. So i'm here to claim my title as best smasher in the world. Are you up for the challenge?

Lord Ryu

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty casual, though I'll sometimes play with items off to practice.

I love banned stages though. Except...Hanenbow...

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
I am and always have been the number one hardcore smasher since the first. Smash has always been a game that grows with the times and brawl isn't any different. I will become the best with the wiimote and show the world just what i, Pyro Dark, can do. So i'm here to claim my title as best smasher in the world. Are you up for the challenge?
lolz good for you dude i hope you can do it....

Meta Ryu

Smash Apprentice
Out admist the icy plains of north america
Maybe you should add - Meta Smasher - (not trying to make a meta knight reference here) for all those who truly like to philosphise and/or help create the game itself. The creators, the pros who spend hours perfecting new techs and combos, and the people who wonder what smash really is. Just a suggestion.

MidniteBlaze

Smash Apprentice
The place I currently reside at is Coral Springs,
Hardcore Casual/Competitive here. I'm somewhere in between Casual and Competitive because I don't care if items are on or off but I do care about a balance in which everyone can enjoy smash without unfair advantages due to the ability of certain items. This is an excellent post. It's good to know people that know what they are talking about will post great topics such as this.

Matumakka

Smash Cadet
I have to say Im a pretty competitive player, so probably Hardcore/ Competative. especially with my brawl partner Vec. he and I always try to find nearby tournies, i like to have have fun battles everynow and then but its gets kinda boring for me. I NEED A CHALLENGE!!

Falzc0

Smash Rookie
I started as a casual player but after playing more and more I'm starting to break into the competetive scene. Waay more life in competetiveness, casual can only go so far. Brawl, contrary to what people say, has depth and when playing it, you can only get better.

Necrophagist

Smash Rookie
I'm a competitive/casual player. Sometimes I am serious and will play and try to get better, other times I will go a few days without playing the game, depending on how much free time I have.

GetSmashedWithTheBros

Smash Apprentice

somebody needs to give this kid a tranquilizer

Asterio

Smash Rookie
You could call me a Competitive-Hardcore smasher. I stay on my Wii all hours of the night, perfecting my technique. And trust me, the day I give up Smash will be a sad day indeed. I doubt I'd ever do so.

With all this in mind, I'm never one of those SERIOUS smash nerds. I don't play without items, and I try to have fun with the match instead of examining every little detail about the game and exploiting it. I will get serious about the matches, no doubt, but not to a level like that.

And people like that need to chill out. I've heard people say that Brawl is a disappointment, all the new items fail, Final Smashes fail, and basically everything new in Smash fails. I can infer that all they want is just a Melee port to Wii, which makes no sense at all, given the Wii can just play the GCN game.

To all those who think Brawl sucks: If you don't like it, please, don't go out of your way and try to force your beliefs on the people who like Brawl. 1. We won't listen. 2. We could probably give you enough good reasons why BRAWL FREAKING OWNS anyway.

If you read all of this, thanks. If you take my usertitle to represent my intelligence, then please go have a brain scan.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
and you can call me with a big dik type of smasher. when i play i just let it get BIG! and my opponent goes wow, you have big dik and you are a big dik type of smasher. that's me.

ht101

Smash Rookie
im mostly a casual gamer. the items are just way to fun and so are the other stages. when im trying to better myself, then i try without items on final destination, but its just too much fun with the final smash and stuff. i have a tiny bit of hardcore mixed in too. since im relatively new and somewhat average at the game, i don't know, nor care, about wavedashing L-canceling and all that stuff. its a bunch of nintendo characters fighting each other, how cool is that? ill be playing this game long after its considered an "old game"

Sneaky Yoshi

Smash Rookie
Im generally the kinda polayer that likes to improve his game, winning is absolutely not everything. For me though, items usually make the game very boring, but after about 40 straight games against me mate we usually go with full bob-omb games or pokeball matches just for fun.
so i guess ima laid back fanatic smasher? xD

xxvic1ousxx

Smash Cadet
Competitive smashers have sucked the fun out of the game by reducing smash to 1v1 no item battles on Final Destination only. These self proclaimed Pro smashers are only good at the way THEY play the game.
While I agree with some of what you said, insults aside, I believe this to be somewhat of a closed-minded statement.
- Competitive smashers dont really play with items off on FD only. There is always a stress for balance, thus the reason for turning off items and playing levels with very little interaction with the player.
- Saying someone is only good at the way THEY play couldn't be further from truth. As I remember KoreanDJ, a professional Smash player(not self proclaimed, but by Smash tournament communities), winning the GameStop SSBB Launch Tournament...Which was an items tournament.
- "Sucked the fun out of the game..," just because playing the way THEY play isnt fun to you doesn't mean that playing the way THEY play way isnt fun to them.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think this should be a requirement to read before you join the SWF.

Seriously, this is ingenious, informed, doesn't insult anyone, and gets rid of the idiotic stereotypes people have. There are some people who go nuts and will play NOTHING ELSE BUT what they want to play, and insult those who play differently, but everyone takes that small group and mashes them in with all of the other people.

I am a Competitive-Hardcore Smasher; I play to win, (although it doesn't always happen), though I've never been to a tournament, and I follow Smash intensely. I checked the Dojo website every morning when I got up, stayed up late for the update on some days (most notably on the day of the last update), reserved my copy, got out as early as possible to get the game, and play it for a couple of hours each day, if not more.

While I agree with some of what you said, insults aside, I believe this to be somewhat of a closed-minded statement.
- Competitive smashers dont really play with items off on FD only. There is always a stress for balance, thus the reason for turning off items and playing levels with very little interaction with the player.
- Saying someone is only good at the way THEY play couldn't be further from truth. As I remember KoreanDJ, a professional Smash player(not self proclaimed, but by Smash tournament communities), winning the GameStop SSBB Launch Tournament...Which was an items tournament.
- "Sucked the fun out of the game..," just because playing the way THEY play isnt fun to you doesn't mean that playing the way THEY play way isnt fun to them.
Keep reading. He says that these are stereotypes, and then he removes the stereotypes and gives real, non-insulting, definitions of each group.

VMuh 99%V

Smash Rookie
im mostly a casual gamer. I rarely ever get completive, only in online matches (sometimes..(. I mostly just play brawl for fun, but yes, I like to rain to get better and like to play matches to get more characters. So call me a Cas-Hard Brawler.

xxvic1ousxx

Smash Cadet
I know heheh, I wasnt attacking him. Only the type person he is referring to. Hence, the reason I only qouted the beginning.
But yeah, IMO it seems to be like this:
Competitive Smasher: 2 types
-Those who seek out competition, in order to best themselves amongst other competitors. Winning, whether realized or not, plays a role in bettering themself.
-(Meta) Those who strive to be better than themselves. Practicing to peak potential and raise the skill cap for the game. Winning has no bearing on these inviduals.
Hardcore Smasher:
This individual plays just to play, but plays considerably more than the casual smasher. Regardless of skill, character, game type or stage, this individual seeks only to have fun and lots of it.
Casual Smasher:
Very much serving the same role as their hardcore counterparts, to have fun. Familiar with the game, this individual is a pick up and play person spending little time dwelling on the games advanced or competitive mechanics.
Non-Smasher:
One who doesn't play Smash.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Competitive~

Items are lame.
90% of the stages are imbal.
x]
Is this a joke?

If not, you really need to learn how to read. That is a very inaccurate stereotype, you didn't even get the right group. Competitive players are those who play to win. I play to win myself, and I don't think items are lame. Will I play without them? Yes. Do I think some stages are unbalanced? Yes. Do I play on said stages anyways? Of course! If I want an intense battle, then I'll go no items on a flat stage, but if I want to have fun, even if I'm still playing to win, I'll play on other stages.

I can see you're new to the forums. Tell you what; if you keep that attitude up, you're going to get flamed a lot.

Unless of course, this is a joke, in which case disregard the above.

Top Bottom