• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of Smasher are You?

moj4991

Smash Cadet
I'm a hardcore/competitive smasher who wants to get pro but is unable to compete at tournaments because parents are too strict and don't understand the game the same way I do. They think that by playing I fry my brain and addict myself to all video-games. But anyway I would love to get better and be able to compete at extremely intense tournaments

dotxhideki

Smash Rookie
I'm a casual player, but sometimes, I like to play competitively with my friends. I never use any of those "advanced techniques" like wavedashing and L-canceling. I just stick with the basics.

Nephenee

Smash Rookie
Ugh crap. I suck, well.. To a pro. >_> I'm a spiker.. blah blah blah.. I got no life by using aerial moves. *I mean, seriously.. I JUMP A LOT.. spike and ownage with Marth. But I have a life with a job :/ Which means.. I am totally gonna get Brawl...... Hm. Sure. Let's say scale me 6/10 LMFAO. >_>

Edit:"Bah, let me re-edit this.. Casual to pro. I'm REALLY lazy at LIFE AND GAMES. It gets real competitive at the beginning.. then I start to suck later on.. (like.. hours later.. 3 I guess)

Results. Casual to competitive/pro-ish :dizzy: :urg: :ohwell:

homer2020

Smash Cadet
I'm a competitive/pro/hardcore. I'm not the kind of pro who is well known for his Smash skills around the world, I just play the game with the same techniques a pro would. Among my usual set of friends I was pretty good, then I found out about advanced techniques and got better, eventually found some people who love Smash as much as I do and improved quite considerably. Although I learned about these techniques pretty late in the game I became good really fast. I live in Canada and only ever went to one tournament, I didn't really know where to look for tournaments, I eventually came here created an account and completely forgot about it until recently and now I plan to become a pro Brawl player /endlifestory

Nephenee

Smash Rookie
I'm a competitive/pro/hardcore. I'm not the kind of pro who is well known for his Smash skills around the world, I just play the game with the same techniques a pro would. Among my usual set of friends I was pretty good, then I found out about advanced techniques and got better, eventually found some people who love Smash as much as I do and improved quite considerably. Although I learned about these techniques pretty late in the game I became good really fast. I live in Canada and only ever went to one tournament, I didn't really know where to look for tournaments, I eventually came here created an account and completely forgot about it until recently and now I plan to become a pro Brawl player /endlifestory

....WOW. One part just like me. Picked up his technique skills. I got pro and stuff.. :/ Now, because my friend doesn't come over and screw around with the game *as in.. being pro in ******** ways, it was so fun lol..* I sucked. ...Eventually, my skills vanished into the air and skills were built on playing some **** emulator. >_> :urg::mad:

TP_Zant

Smash Rookie
Competitive/Hardcore

I'd say that fits my definition quite nicely. No matter what becomes of this game, even if it was watered down to my grandma's level of play, I can honestly say I'd still get some sort of enjoyment out of playing with friends and online. And no matter how technical the game gets, there will be new challenges and techniques for me to master to play at a competitive level.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
I'm a casual and hardcore player but i also like to play competatively with friends. I play for fun and try to get better but i don't really care to go to any tournaments.

absox

Smash Rookie
competitive smasher...

been playing melee for like 5 years now... now can use most advanced techiques. no tourneys yet... but that might change cuz of nintendo wifi...

Nephenee

Smash Rookie
Ok.. I am ...

-Pro
-Competitive
-Loser
-Sucks a lot
-Is a pro when he doesn't suck
-needs to get in the mood of ownage
-lazy
-First gets exciting.. then gets crappy.
gg.

Capitals : GG!

jetfire19

Smash Rookie
I am a casual smasher. I don't take it too seriously, but I still want to have fun. I liek how you described everybody.

Shooo-rook

Smash Rookie
This thread is very good, and it applies to one smash experience I had last night. I consider myself a Competitive/HXC smasher. But last night was amazing. I usually play 1 on 1 with my roommate with long epic 5 stock battles w/o items. Last night I went over to my friends and all we did was play Free for all with 4 people, with items. That is why this game has continued to be amazing in my eyes. It was so refreshing to have such quick battles where the insanity ensued.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I am apparently a hardcore competitive smasher going by these definitions. Good to know, I guess.

Though I do have tendencies to play with Pokeballs on Very High and infinite time just to watch the ensuing mayhem.

Darkjad

Smash Cadet
I like your definitions. I'd be a hardcore-casual Smasher (to an extent; I wouldn't play a Smash game for long if it was bad :D ). I play casually, but I come on message boards to discuss Smash. I have two preorders at different locations, hoping that one of themwill have a midnight release. I know, understand, and support competitive play: I just don't care to play competitively myself, preferring to enjoy myself with sillier matches (especially for my friends who don't play as much). I don't use advanced techniques like wavedashing, but I'm an expert at item-catching and long-range Beam Sword throwing :D

BlankShot

Smash Rookie
I'm a Sexy Smasher :D

But I am also a Casual/Competitive/Hardcore smasher. I'm not pro, at all, but my sexiness makes up for it :p

Th3 G1ft88

Smash Rookie
I am more of a casual, Hardcore smasher. I like to play competitively but having fun is the key.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
I consider myself a Casual/Competitive/Hardcore smasher because i want to get better but still have fun, ive also had the games all my life

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
I'm most definately a competitive smasher. I'd love to become pro but since Brawl is almost here and there are a few key mechanics from melee that are out in Brawl (namely, wave dashing) I guess I will just wait to go pro with Brawl. Are all of you getting into the Smash Wars tournament?

saintrage

Smash Cadet
When i read this post, it made me have to sit back and look at how my friends and i play smash. They are all mostly casual while i am competitive-hardcore, this post is absolutely amazing in its wording and the message it gives. Props to you kirbykid ;)

Wolfin

Smash Rookie
I consider myself a Competitive Smasher. Since the first day I played Melee seriously, I've wanted to get better. The (major) reason behind that was that I just wanted to provide a better challenge for some of the good smashers I play(+ed) with.

I play during lunchtimes and sometimes after school at college (our lounge has 2 TV's with Rock Band and Melee), so I get a lot of human practice with many different players (7 that I count off my head).

My goal to become better is also fueled by one of my opponents who got extremely cocky right off the bat because he owned the game and played it a lot, therefore being good. He's got an extremely irritating laugh that he will sometimes execute when he scores a kill, among with "Bye!", "Yaaaaaay, [X] died!". He also uses the phrase "Must (kill/get) (opponent/item)!", which he says in a staccato voice. He frequents these above all other things he says, and I'm beginning to think he just does it to piss us off. You may be thinking he's like, my little 11 year old brother, but no - infact, he's 17, turning 18, and in college. Although there is one good thing about his ability to annoy us is that killing him elicits a much better feel than normal kills.)

(I'll see if I can rig up a mic to record him during a match, there's no way to express his voice in words.)

The other players I smash with are mostly casual, so our sessions sometimes lead to such things as Juggernaut (Player(usually Bowser) with handycap 9 versus three characters at 1 handycap, damage 0.5), Single-Item battles on Very High (pokeballs, hammers.. and warp stars, although that was actually fun and took a bit of strategy.) But such battles can ease the stress of exams and I usually enjoy them, regardless.

I've got 45$ down on Brawl, hopefully I won't be jipped or the shipment won't be delayed or something.
But when it comes out, Wifi will allow for massive amounts of opponents to choose from at any time, and I'm hoping I'll get better fast :D

$now Dawg

Smash Rookie
I am competitive because when i played melee all i played was computers and was tired of it. And one of my friends told me that there were some smash players at this store i used to go to and i played each and everyone of them and i won but either way its still fun.I guess after all that training i did with the cpu's gave in. And now i continue to play smash. Only 4 days until brawl comes out so then i can fight even more people.

Waning Light

Smash Rookie
I'd call myself casual/competitive with a bit of hardcore - at least, according to the definitions kirbykid gave. First and foremost I play just because I enjoy it, but I also really want to improve my game. Having no money for tourneys and no one local to play with makes that pretty tough, though. Anyone who saw me at my one and only tourney can tell you... I was the worst one there. As for the hardcore, well... even though I have almost no money to live on, I'm still getting Brawl, and I'm sticking with Smash to the end.

Polymus

Smash Cadet
I would definitely have to say I'm a competitive fighter.

I would imagine like most fighters, I like to use speedy characters, Fox and Falco especially. I sometimes try to take down my opponents even when they are already in certain death, just for the heck of it, and in Melee terms, I try to practice wave-dashing as best as I can, though I do not depend on it. I mostly do it so I can practice on the timing of my hits.

If not with my friends, my practice mostly consists of, if a multi-fight comes to play, a simple Team, 1v3 matches with friendly fire off.

When i fight my friends, sometimes they consider me cheap in-battle. I just find that a petty excuse to make me lower my skill in battle, but that's not likely. Unless I'm like training them or something.

I'm not the best fighter though, nor am I anywhere near one. I do have some great flaws, but that doesn't mean I don't put up a nice fight. I guess you would need to fight me to really judge me.

Brawl is going to kick ***, on the way of pre-ordering it, and I hope to fight some awesome professionals. =D (I'm a Falco Player btw)

Unsmarty

Smash Rookie
I guess I could call myself.... Casual/Competitive/Hardcore?

Casual because, of course I haven't forgotten what the purpose of video game s is..... Which is of course, to have fun:chuckle:

Competitive due to the GRATUITOUS amount of time put into honing my game.

Hardcore because I've been playing since the start and I enjoy the series....
Ill always be here to play the games I love:)

And thumbs up to KirbyKid for this thread.....
Five star material :p

Starry Might

Smash Journeyman
Good post, man! (*CLAPS*)

I'm a casual Smasher who plays the game at home against CPUs. :laugh: (I HAVE played "Melee" with some of my cousins a couple times long ago, though.) I don't do Advanced Techs (e.g. Wavedashing), but I HAVE incorporated a few tricks that I've read about for my mains into my play styles (e.g. using Marth's Dancing Blade for recovery). :)

Hmmm...does that make me slightly more than "Casual"?

C-Dizzle

Smash Apprentice
well i concider myself a Hardcore/Cometive/Casual I LOVE SMASh I have Played since before i could read. And i never plan on stoping. IDK that took out wave dashing or anything I WILL ALWYS LoVE YOU SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom