• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of DLC would you want?

What type of DLC would you want?

• Total voters

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Yeah, something like how Super Street Fighter IV did with Arcade Edition and Ultra.
They built on the foundation of the original Super Street Fighter IV, but added new Characters, Stages, Re-balancing, and more.
The Expansions were Compatible with the non-Upgraded version by essentially flipping a switch, which would essentially disable the Update, changing the Balancing back, disabling extra characters & stages, etc.

Doing something like that with Super Smash Bros. at a later date would be ideal, since then people who want more offered via DLC can get it without the issues that those who are opposed to it even coming up. Its a Win-Win all around.

I don't really think the 3DS stages will be made into DLC for the Wii U version though, since Sakurai does very much want to keep them both 'equal' in some ways. I would, however, love to see all the Stages from 64, Melee, and Brawl end up in one or the other version overall..some on Wii U, some on 3DS.
If a favorite character of mine got cut, I wouldn't really care. I could just wait next smash. I really don't see the problem of waiting another 6 years instead of just putting in DLC characters. Especially if you had to pay for them. If they couldn't add them in because of time constraints, then why would they add them but you had to pay?
And what then if they didn't return for that game or any future game?
The problem with waiting is the uncertainty. Will this character still be relevant? Will Sakurai still be considering this character? Can these characters ever return except as DLC?

Its quite simply why they may require payment. Even if they were originally considered for the game, they obviously needed extra time and time is, of course, money. What I mean by that is the time taken to create the unfinished characters is still someone at a job working to create them. They aren't doing it for free, they need to be paid. The original budget would really only cover the initial development in most cases, at least based on the information I have from those in the Industry I talk to, so it would be extra work that would need extra payment, meaning the money needs to come from somewhere. As SkullGirls shown, characters are very expensive to create, especially for fighting games.

Now the characters could be releases for Free, they could be Free for a Limited Time, or they could be Paid. Any of those options are possible and, in my opinion, fair, since each additional character does require time, money, and effort to be created and balanced.

There are two big factors that could point to DLC Characters being Free either Forever or a Limited Time, those being Sakurai and how he views things and the Tekken Team helping, considering they (mainly Harada, the director) having every DLC character in Tekken Tag Tournament be Free.

I personally don't care if its Free or Paid as even with my current unemployment due to disability, I'll still be finding a way to make the money to purchase any possible DLC if the need for money arises since they won't likely be more then $3-$7 a piece.

I also utterly despise seeing lost potential in any Video Game, all the way back from Sonic the Hedgehog 2's Hidden Palace Zone* to the cut characters of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. They are just reminders of what almost was but wasn't.
*I know HPZ is finally restored..but its still only an iOS version..

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Yeah, something like how Super Street Fighter IV did with Arcade Edition and Ultra.
They built on the foundation of the original Super Street Fighter IV, but added new Characters, Stages, Re-balancing, and more.
The Expansions were Compatible with the non-Upgraded version by essentially flipping a switch, which would essentially disable the Update, changing the Balancing back, disabling extra characters & stages, etc.

Doing something like that with Super Smash Bros. at a later date would be ideal, since then people who want more offered via DLC can get it without the issues that those who are opposed to it even coming up. Its a Win-Win all around.

I don't really think the 3DS stages will be made into DLC for the Wii U version though, since Sakurai does very much want to keep them both 'equal' in some ways. I would, however, love to see all the Stages from 64, Melee, and Brawl end up in one or the other version overall..some on Wii U, some on 3DS.

And what then if they didn't return for that game or any future game?
The problem with waiting is the uncertainty. Will this character still be relevant? Will Sakurai still be considering this character? Can these characters ever return except as DLC?

Its quite simply why they may require payment. Even if they were originally considered for the game, they obviously needed extra time and time is, of course, money. What I mean by that is the time taken to create the unfinished characters is still someone at a job working to create them. They aren't doing it for free, they need to be paid. The original budget would really only cover the initial development in most cases, at least based on the information I have from those in the Industry I talk to, so it would be extra work that would need extra payment, meaning the money needs to come from somewhere. As SkullGirls shown, characters are very expensive to create, especially for fighting games.

Now the characters could be releases for Free, they could be Free for a Limited Time, or they could be Paid. Any of those options are possible and, in my opinion, fair, since each additional character does require time, money, and effort to be created and balanced.

There are two big factors that could point to DLC Characters being Free either Forever or a Limited Time, those being Sakurai and how he views things and the Tekken Team helping, considering they (mainly Harada, the director) having every DLC character in Tekken Tag Tournament be Free.

I personally don't care if its Free or Paid as even with my current unemployment due to disability, I'll still be finding a way to make the money to purchase any possible DLC if the need for money arises since they won't likely be more then $3-$7 a piece.

I also utterly despise seeing lost potential in any Video Game, all the way back from Sonic the Hedgehog 2's Hidden Palace Zone* to the cut characters of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. They are just reminders of what almost was but wasn't.
*I know HPZ is finally restored..but its still only an iOS version..
If there isn't a future game, then too bad.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Ok, let me rephrase that.
You can just go adding DLC just because a series of games stopped.
Not to mention, if Sakurai didn't stop making smash, he already stated if he did stop the series he wouldn't know who to trust to stop making it. In other words, why would someone making DLC be any different?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
If there isn't a future game, then too bad.
That's a really poor attitude to have..
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would purposely want less content when more is a distinct possibility..and without having to wait 4-6 years and shell out the cash for that new game when it comes around.

DLC can increase the lifespan of a game, it gives people new content and new things to experience and new reason to play the game outside of only Multiplayer.

For instance, Project M got me playing my copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl more because of the new characters, costumes, and stages and each update they do is quite similar to DLC, only being Free instead of Paid.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would purposely want less content when more is a distinct possibility..and without having to wait 4-6 years and shell out the cash for that new game when it comes around.

DLC can increase the lifespan of a game, it gives people new content and new things to experience and new reason to play the game outside of only Multiplayer.

For instance, Project M got me playing my copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl more because of the new characters, costumes, and stages and each update they do is quite similar to DLC, only being Free instead of Paid.
Like I said, let me rephrase that.
Not to mention, if Sakurai did stop making smash, he already stated if he did stop the series he wouldn't know who to trust to stop making it. In other words, why would someone making DLC be any different?
You can't just go around adding DLC willy-nilly just because there's not a new game coming out.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Not to mention, if Sakurai did stop making smash, he already stated if he did stop the series he wouldn't know who to trust to stop making it. In other words, why would someone making DLC be any different?
You can't just go around adding DLC willy-nilly just because there's not a new game coming out.
No, but you can use DLC to add more characters and features that players want, instead of just telling everyone "sorry, you're out of luck until the next console generation comes out a decade from now".

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I never said anything about a new game not coming out, I was referring to the characters that could be considered for DLC may not end up being considered for the next Smash Bros, essentially meaning that the potential and ideas for them were then wasted.

If DLC was created for Super Smash Bros. 4, it would still be directed and watched over by Sakurai to make sure it stayed inline with his vision for the games.

It would also only add things, not take anything away. The only arguments I've heard against DLC are all fairly unimportant in the long run or simply paranoid.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
No, but you can use DLC to add more characters and features that players want, instead of just telling everyone "sorry, you're out of luck until the next console generation comes out a decade from now".
Like I said, we just waited like a decade for a new smash, yet we didn't get DLC for Brawl.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Like I said, we just waited like a decade for a new smash, yet we didn't get DLC for Brawl.
That's because the Wii sucked for DLC. Heck, I don't even know if DLC was possible on it. The Wii U and 3DS both have solid functionality for it.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Thats because DLC was Impossible to Implement for Super Smash Bros. Brawl because the Flash Memory was too small, it was still some HIGHLY requested for the game, enough so that Sakurai had to straight up state they couldn't do DLC because the Wii wasn't created to work with it.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Thats because DLC was Impossible to Implement for Super Smash Bros. Brawl because the Flash Memory was too small, it was still some HIGHLY requested for the game, enough so that Sakurai had to straight up state they couldn't do DLC because the Wii wasn't created to work with it.
Wasn't there DLC in Wii games?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Wasn't there DLC in Wii games?
In some games, yes, but in all of those cases the Data was Small, either being used as a Simple Unlock Code, re-used in-game resources, or made for a game that itself was small enough to fit onto the Wii's Flash Memory.

This is why there was very little DLC on the Wii.

Like Sakurai stated, it was just too small to support anything the size of Characters & Stages.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
In some games, yes, but in all of those cases the Data was Small, either being used as a Simple Unlock Code, re-used in-game resources, or made for a game that itself was small enough to fit onto the Wii's Flash Memory.

This is why there was very little DLC on the Wii.

Like Sakurai stated, it was just too small to support anything the size of Characters & Stages.
Well then I guess character DLC should be for the new smash. I still think not payable, though.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Well then I guess character DLC should be for the new smash. I still think not payable, though.
It might be Free, it might be Paid. It ultimately depends on how it was developed.
Was it created with leftovers from the main game's budget? If Yes, then it should be Free.
Was it created with a new budget? If yes, it could go either way and still be fair.

Like I've said about 2 or 3 times now though, the best option is making it into an expansion that isn't compatible online with those who didn't buy the DLC unless an Option is Toggled to return the Online Mode to 'Original' mode that would disable all changes from the Upgrade. Then the only ones who would see the new characters and stages online would be those who have them as well and those who don't won't see them online ever.
It solves all the problems people were worried about.

An expansion would also allow them to do Character Re-Balances, since people tend to hate Balance Patches in Fighting Games, Add-In New Modes and the Like which would be too small for Normal DLC but just fine to include in an Expansion (perhaps even a Story Mode if Sakurai ends up changing his mind), New Costumes/Colours, New Trophies, New Music, etc. all in one Pack that would likely cost about $15, significantly less then a whole new game and able to be a Pseudo-Sequel to tide people over between this game and the next.

Last edited:

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
Personally, I'd rather not see any DLC at all, but if they must do it (I could see them integrating DLC along with Amibos, ex. buy a Mario Amibo get a new Mario skin, Mario themed stage, etc.) then I suppose new stages or skins would be alright.

I'd rather not see DLC characters. I'd prefer a balanced, thoughtful launch roster.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'd rather not see DLC characters. I'd prefer a balanced, thoughtful launch roster.
That's why I'm pulling for Expansion DLC in a couple years or something, that way the DLC characters wouldn't effect the Balance of the Original game, since the Expansion wouldn't be compatible Online with non-Updated copies (unless toggled to be in which all changes and DLC would be disabled except maybe Costumes/Colours) and the entire cast would be rebalanced anyway along with the new characters, making it just as balanced as the original release.

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
That's why I'm pulling for Expansion DLC in a couple years or something, that way the DLC characters wouldn't effect the Balance of the Original game, since the Expansion wouldn't be compatible Online with non-Updated copies (unless toggled to be in which all changes and DLC would be disabled except maybe Costumes/Colours) and the entire cast would be rebalanced anyway along with the new characters, making it just as balanced as the original release.
Kinda like what Street Fighter 4 has been doing these past couple years? Yeah, I can dig that. It'd be naïve to think that Nintendo won't support this game in some fashion post launch (DLC, patches of some kind hopefully), so taking a page from Capcom's book would be the best thing for both the players and makin' money, IMO.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Kinda like what Street Fighter 4 has been doing these past couple years? Yeah, I can dig that. It'd be naïve to think that Nintendo won't support this game in some fashion post launch (DLC, patches of some kind hopefully), so taking a page from Capcom's book would be the best thing for both the players and makin' money, IMO.
Yeah, exactly like how they did Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition and Ultra Street Fighter IV. Releasing a cheap DLC Upgrade that overwrites the game with new content, balances, etc but is compatible with the original by toggling a Disable Upgrade option.
Its a complete Win-Win. Those who want more can get the upgrade without affecting the balance or anything for those who don't since the latter would never see the content from the former when playing online.

Granted, I'd be careful saying taking anything from Capcom's book considering how people feel about their DLC practices..though I think the Upgrade System is an ingenious way of solving the typical DLC in Fighters Problems.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Reading this conversation makes me want character DLC more and more *_*

I hope Sakurai does it. I know he said it isn't on his mind now, but it could happen after they finish the game. I like that attitude because he'll be making the best game he can, and if we get DLC it would be tasteful, and not simply unlocking locked content on in the game :)

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero

I agree with the bolded. Having DLC can at least provide more support to the game.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I originally voted "none", but after seeing Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf, I want costume DLC. ;_;

Gamecube Kid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperSonicX2014
3DS FC
3325-3644-1635
They should make club nintendo offers for smash DLC.

Last edited:

iNinja5567

Smash Rookie
NNID
iNinja5567
3DS FC
1435-5269-0072
I don't want to see any DLC. It would just lessen the game for people who don't want to spend the money.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I don't want to see any DLC. It would just lessen the game for people who don't want to spend the money.
No, lessening the game would be if content was removed if you didn't pay for it.

DLC just ADDS to the game for those who do pay for it, it doesn't do ANYTHING to those who don't.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
It doesn't really since those characters/costumes/stages/music are available to those who want to pay for them and aren't exactly going to break the bank.
Saying DLC 'lessens' the game because people don't want to spend the money on it is like saying the Amiibos lessen the game for the same reason.
If someone wants a particular character/costume/stage/music or feels their experience is 'lessened' by not having them then perhaps they should just spend the money on the character if it bothers them so much.
Isn't that what people usually do when they feel they want to have something that someone else has?

Last edited:

iNinja5567

Smash Rookie
NNID
iNinja5567
3DS FC
1435-5269-0072
It doesn't really since those characters/costumes/stages/music are available to those who want to pay for them and aren't exactly going to break the bank.
Saying DLC 'lessens' the game because people don't want to spend the money on it is like saying the Amiibos lessen the game for the same reason.
If someone wants a particular character/costume/stage/music or feels their experience is 'lessened' by not having them then perhaps they should just spend the money on the character if it bothers them so much.
Isn't that what people usually do when they feel they want to have something that someone else has?
I'm just saying that I would rather everything be included in the game from the start, rather than adding new content over time. If they are going to include DLC, it shouldn't cost a lot of money, and there should be the same DLC for both versions.

Gamecube Kid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperSonicX2014
3DS FC
3325-3644-1635
I'm just saying that I would rather everything be included in the game from the start, rather than adding new content over time. If they are going to include DLC, it shouldn't cost a lot of money, and there should be the same DLC for both versions.
I don't think time constraints will be a problem for smash. Sakurai stated that he made lucina her own character because he had extra time to do so.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
If they could include it all from the start, I'm sure they would, but the fact is they've never been able to. After all, they had to leave Final Smashes out of 64, stages like Akaneia out of Melee, and various characters out of Brawl.
I think some things will always end up being left unfinished but DLC could allow them to finish these things and release them as they'd intended to.
Alternatively, we all know that at least a few characters will be cut from Brawl or stay cut from Melee, DLC would be a good way of bringing these characters back into the game when possible. For instance, I doubt we'll see Roy again unless he's a costume for Marth or maybe Lucina, but DLC could allow him to return, same for the likely cuts of Squirtle and Ivysaur, and of course Mewtwo if he stays cut.

I'm nearly positive that if the DLC is Characters or Costumes, it'll be released for both versions.

As for being Free..that's a 50/50. It could be Free, like Tekken Tag Tournament 2's DLC, Free for a Limited Time, like some of Fire Emblem Awakening's DLC, or Paid, due to having to take time, money, and effort to create it after the game's release.

As far as I'm concerned though, more content is always a good thing, even if I have to pay for some of it.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
The game will be fine without DLC. You probably have a bad taste in your mouth by how other developers have abused DLC. If Sakurai does decide to do it it'll be in good taste, actual EXTRA content on top of a FINISHED game. It's literally bonus stuff, what's wrong with that?

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
DLC isn't a required necessity for people, as others have stated, it's purely bonus content.
If one doesn't want to buy it, they don't have to and it will not affect them in any way (assuming Sakurai goes the "disable updates" route). With or without DLC, one will still get the full game and nothing will be taken away from them (not like on-disc DLC ala SFxT), no worries!

I see it as this; Smash 4 is the dinner entrée, and DLC serves as the extra condiments. Or something like that haha.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The game will be fine without DLC. You probably have a bad taste in your mouth by how other developers have abused DLC. If Sakurai does decide to do it it'll be in good taste, actual EXTRA content on top of a FINISHED game. It's literally bonus stuff, what's wrong with that?
Yeah, if you've ever played a game with true DLC, you know how enriching it can be to the experience, without harming those who don't get it.

Again, looking at Fire Emblem Awakening. I love the DLCs in that game to death, but I have a friend playing it now who can't afford any of them. She's still having an absolute blast with the game itself, and is quite alright with missing out on the extra stuff.

Look at any game that has an expansion pack. XCOM: Enemy Within, WarCraft III, StarCraft II, any of the Civilization games from Civ II on. They all do a fantastic job of adding to and expanding, but with no cost to those who don't get it. Civ II was a fantastic frelling game in its own right. You didn't need the ability to play scenarios that completely shifted the game mechanics to mimic games like XCOM and Heroes of Might and Magic. You didn't need the historically recreation scenarios that were available as expansion content. But for those who wanted it, it's there.

Content should never be culled from a game to be made DLC. If you have need that extra money to turn a profit on the game, your production costs are too high (Free to Play is a different business model, so it doesn't follow this rule). You release the game as a complete entity, and it should exist that way. Players should never be missing levels, modes, or other existing game content at release. Nor should you rush a game out to market before finishing a lot of content that is at the core of the game, with the excuse that it's now good for DLC because it's "new".

DLC should never be a patch fixture, unless it's free. Perfect example of this: Mario Kart 8. There's a free Mercedes Benz DLC coming out. It's also tweaking a lot of little minor things, like adding a records page to track stats, and making the post-race menu more intuitive. It's a free DLC. Fantastic. That's fine! But releasing that sort of content in a paid DLC, or especially tagging it onto a paid DLC (pay for new carts, get these fixes as well!) is just wrong.

Paid DLC should exist for content developed after the game is finished and complete. You should be able to enjoy the heck out of a game without even knowing that there's DLC for it. However, you should be able to expand that experience with DLC if the devs continue to put the time and effort into making it.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Extra costumes, songs, and stages would be nice.

Not characters. Dassa no-no.

Gamecube Kid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperSonicX2014
3DS FC
3325-3644-1635
If they could include it all from the start, I'm sure they would, but the fact is they've never been able to. After all, they had to leave Final Smashes out of 64, stages like Akaneia out of Melee, and various characters out of Brawl.
I think some things will always end up being left unfinished but DLC could allow them to finish these things and release them as they'd intended to.
Alternatively, we all know that at least a few characters will be cut from Brawl or stay cut from Melee, DLC would be a good way of bringing these characters back into the game when possible. For instance, I doubt we'll see Roy again unless he's a costume for Marth or maybe Lucina, but DLC could allow him to return, same for the likely cuts of Squirtle and Ivysaur, and of course Mewtwo if he stays cut.

I'm nearly positive that if the DLC is Characters or Costumes, it'll be released for both versions.

As for being Free..that's a 50/50. It could be Free, like Tekken Tag Tournament 2's DLC, Free for a Limited Time, like some of Fire Emblem Awakening's DLC, or Paid, due to having to take time, money, and effort to create it after the game's release.

As far as I'm concerned though, more content is always a good thing, even if I have to pay for some of it.
I think for once time constraints won't be a problem with any thing. I just hope we don't have problem like for what happened to pokemon x and y.
I don't think time constraints will be a problem for smash. Sakurai stated that he made lucina her own character because he had extra time to do so.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I think for once time constraints won't be a problem with any thing. I just hope we don't have problem like for what happened to pokemon x and y.
Just in case, I will be sure not to save my game while battling on the Lumiose City/Prism Tower map.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Honestly, I don't think Lucina means that time constraints won't be a problem. All she means is that Sakurai decided to make her a clone character instead of a costume. For all we know, they finished the model intended for the alt costume and then Sakurai decided to make her a clone character using Marth's data but tweaking it.
Similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee, clones were created because they didn't take very much time to create. Create a new Model, re-use date from another character, tweak the date, and viola, a new character is made. The clones in Melee were a last minute addition because they didn't have the time to create completely new, original moveset characters, but they did have time to create several clones.
There could still be characters that end up being left out of the game due to not having the time to create them, particularly if they're non-clones.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
If they decide to do DLC, I don't think I would complain. Smash 4 has so far shown to have a plethora of content, with more characters than Brawl revealed even before the game is out. As it is, Melee and Brawl seem to have managed to stay relevant to this day (Project M maybe helping that happen I don't know) they don't NEED DLC.

If they do, I think alternate Smash Run Levels would be pretty awesome. Also Alts that couldn't make it in at first. I don't know about full on NEW characters, but since they are DLC you could take the time to work them into the balance and all that before release.

Gamecube Kid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperSonicX2014
3DS FC
3325-3644-1635
Honestly, I don't think Lucina means that time constraints won't be a problem. All she means is that Sakurai decided to make her a clone character instead of a costume. For all we know, they finished the model intended for the alt costume and then Sakurai decided to make her a clone character using Marth's data but tweaking it.
Similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee, clones were created because they didn't take very much time to create. Create a new Model, re-use date from another character, tweak the date, and viola, a new character is made. The clones in Melee were a last minute addition because they didn't have the time to create completely new, original moveset characters, but they did have time to create several clones.
There could still be characters that end up being left out of the game due to not having the time to create them, particularly if they're non-clones.
I wouldn't call them clones. I refer to them as re-skins.

Top Bottom