• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of DLC would you want?

What type of DLC would you want?

• Total voters

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
I don't want exactly DLCs, bur Expansion Packs! Like New Super Luigi U, I want an expansion for Smash that literally overwrites the actual content for brand-new content. I wouldn't support seeing few characters and stages being released one by one or in really small packs. An expansion pack allows the developers to make serious work in creating a good amonut of extra content and releasing it all at once, and the most important, it would be cheap!

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Why not though, you essentially pay for characters when you buy the main game anyway and people work to create the extra characters that are to be offered as DLC and they deserve to be paid, do they not?
1. It's just something Sakurai wouldn't do.
2. Why lot just save those characters for SSB5?
3. It'd be unfair. When using 'With Anyone' online play, and some guy has a character you don't have just because he you don't have the money.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
1. It's just something Sakurai wouldn't do.
2. Why lot just save those characters for SSB5?
3. It'd be unfair. When using 'With Anyone' online play, and some guy has a character you don't have just because he you don't have the money.
1) We don't really know that, since Sakurai hasn't really made a game on a system capable of DLC yet, aside from Kid Icarus Uprising, which wouldn't really have benefited from it.
2) Why save them for a game that won't release 5-8 years from now when you can finish them and get them out to the fans sooner. Besides that, there's no guarantee that Sakurai would still want to use those characters later on. This would also be a way of bring back characters that had to be cut due to time, such as how it seems like Squirtle and Ivysaur won't be back for this and Mewtwo & Roy were on Brawl's code but left out due to time.
3) Not really. If you particularly want a certain character, then you can likely find a way to get the money. After all, you managed to get the money for Super Smash Bros. itself, did you not? I doubt any DLC would be more then say $5-$7. It wouldn't exactly break the bank.

Beyond that, I'm going to be a bit selfish here and just say I don't care. Fact is I, and many others, want as much content out of these games as possible and I would hate to see anything left on the cutting room floor when it could instead be included as DLC, free or paid, at a later date. Then we aren't left wondering what could have been and actually get to play as those characters, on those stages, with those soundtracks, etc. I would have killed to get to play as Dixie Kong or Mewtwo (prior to Project M) in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Like I said though, the best scenario would be to go the route of Super Street Fighter IV and release any and all character DLC as Expansions that also include New Stages, Music, Costumes, Modes, Rebalances, etc and are not compatible online with the previous version unless an option to play 'Vanilla' Super Smash Bros. was selected prior to going into the Online Menu.
For example, someone who bought the expansion wouldn't be able to play online with someone who did not, so issue number 3 would become a moot point.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Characters or even costumes as long as they weren't recolors
I'd actually be fine with additional recolours/retextures if they were cheap (like a couple dollars) at least if they are good re-colours (like, say, a recolour to make Princess Zelda reference Princess Hilda)..I'd be a hypocrite if I said I wouldn't buy them since I bought the recolours for BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena, and SkullGirls.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
I'd actually be fine with additional recolours/retextures if they were cheap (like a couple dollars) at least if they are good re-colours (like, say, a recolour to make Princess Zelda reference Princess Hilda)..I'd be a hypocrite if I said I wouldn't buy them since I bought the recolours for BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena, and SkullGirls.
Hopefully if DLC is released Nintendo doesn't ask Capcom on the pricing or Gearbox on what kind of DLC to release

$10 for a character (Borderlands 2 style)
$5 for 1 recolor pack out of 20 (Capcom style)
Recolors of DLC character (Borderlands 2 style)
Super Ultra Championship Editions at $60 that come with all DLC except for 10 packs (I see you Borderlands 2 and Capcom)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Stages, characters, costumes, music, and if possible, assist trophies.

I'd say some can even come in packs. For example, if (which it looks very likely atm) Snake isn't on the final roster, they could make him post-release DLC and he'll come in a pack, which includes his stage, music, and the Grey Fox AT. Just a thought.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd get some new stages and new characters available on eShop.

Booster

Smash Lord

I'd say some can even come in packs. For example, if (which it looks very likely atm) Snake isn't on the final roster, they could make him post-release DLC and he'll come in a pack, which includes his stage, music, and the Grey Fox AT. Just a thought.
That's actually better...

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider

Huh. That's probably the only way I'd not be completely opposed to character DLC.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Hopefully if DLC is released Nintendo doesn't ask Capcom on the pricing or Gearbox on what kind of DLC to release
$5 for 1 recolor pack out of 20 (Capcom style)
Super Ultra Championship Editions at $60 that come with all DLC except for 10 packs (I see you Borderlands 2 and Capcom)
I don't recall Capcom ever having re-colour/re-texture DLC, only alternate costumes which were, honestly not that badly priced.
Also, the Arcade Edition & Ultra Expansions weren't $60, not even for the retail copies. They were $40 for Retail and $15 for Digital Upgrade, neither one seemed badly price.

I can't speak in regards to Borderlands 2 though since I never got DLC for it or even checked the pricing.

I'd be more upset if they went the AkSys (BlazBlue) route, what with their DLC
Announcer Voice - $6
Character Re-Colour Pack - $5
Unlock (for in-game unlockable) - $2
DLC Character - $8

And then they release a different version for retail with all DLC on it for Free not too long later, which I got instead.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
1) We don't really know that, since Sakurai hasn't really made a game on a system capable of DLC yet, aside from Kid Icarus Uprising, which wouldn't really have benefited from it.
2) Why save them for a game that won't release 5-8 years from now when you can finish them and get them out to the fans sooner. Besides that, there's no guarantee that Sakurai would still want to use those characters later on. This would also be a way of bring back characters that had to be cut due to time, such as how it seems like Squirtle and Ivysaur won't be back for this and Mewtwo & Roy were on Brawl's code but left out due to time.
3) Not really. If you particularly want a certain character, then you can likely find a way to get the money. After all, you managed to get the money for Super Smash Bros. itself, did you not? I doubt any DLC would be more then say $5-$7. It wouldn't exactly break the bank.

Beyond that, I'm going to be a bit selfish here and just say I don't care. Fact is I, and many others, want as much content out of these games as possible and I would hate to see anything left on the cutting room floor when it could instead be included as DLC, free or paid, at a later date. Then we aren't left wondering what could have been and actually get to play as those characters, on those stages, with those soundtracks, etc. I would have killed to get to play as Dixie Kong or Mewtwo (prior to Project M) in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Like I said though, the best scenario would be to go the route of Super Street Fighter IV and release any and all character DLC as Expansions that also include New Stages, Music, Costumes, Modes, Rebalances, etc and are not compatible online with the previous version unless an option to play 'Vanilla' Super Smash Bros. was selected prior to going into the Online Menu.
For example, someone who bought the expansion wouldn't be able to play online with someone who did not, so issue number 3 would become a moot point.
Everything else I pretty much agree, but:
2. Just because a new game isn't coming out for awhile, doesn't mean we should put character DLC. With that logic, then Kirby Triple Deluxe should have new level DLC with new transformation abilities or something.
All in all, adding character DLC would just be unbalanced, especially if you do have to pay. I might actually be kinda mad if there was character DLC that cost like $5. What's the point of adding a character that you pay for and can just come next smash?

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Character DLC should be free in a mandatory patch or offline only. The former is probably asking too much. :p The same goes with stages and anything else that impacts gameplay and isn't purely cosmetic.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Character DLC should be free in a mandatory patch or offline only. The former is probably asking too much. :p The same goes with stages and anything else that impacts gameplay and isn't purely cosmetic.
No. Mii Fighters being disabled online is already too much. If I can't use :mewtwopm: online, I'm going to be mad.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Everything else I pretty much agree, but:
2. Just because a new game isn't coming out for awhile, doesn't mean we should put character DLC. With that logic, then Kirby Triple Deluxe should have new level DLC with new transformation abilities or something.
All in all, adding character DLC would just be unbalanced, especially if you do have to pay. I might actually be kinda mad if there was character DLC that cost like $5. What's the point of adding a character that you pay for and can just come next smash?
Sure, why not? As far as I'm concerned, more content is always a good thing.
I don't think character DLC would be unbalanced since they would still work to keep it balanced. I'd actually be much more upset if we found out that there were unfinished characters on the disc that weren't going to be included as DLC at a later date. There's also no guarantee that the characters they consider for DLC would even appear in the next Smash Bros (and I'd much rather not have to wait for 5-8 years either).
There's also the possibility of using DLC to bring back old veterans such as Mewtwo, Roy, etc. that would likely not be included in the next Smash Bros. either.

As I've said before, the best possible way I could see doing this would be too make DLC an Expansion to the game, almost like an official Project M, that would add new characters, stages, music, etc and not be compatible online with Vanilla Smash 4

Alternatively, they could take a page from Harada's book. He's the director of the Tekken series and he made all of Tekken Tag Tournament 2's DLC absolutely free.
As an additional Alternative, they could do Demo DLC or allow DLC characters to be used in Training Mode free of charge to allow people to try them out before buying or to learn them a bit if they decide not to.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Sure, why not? As far as I'm concerned, more content is always a good thing.
I don't think character DLC would be unbalanced since they would still work to keep it balanced. I'd actually be much more upset if we found out that there were unfinished characters on the disc that weren't going to be included as DLC at a later date. There's also no guarantee that the characters they consider for DLC would even appear in the next Smash Bros (and I'd much rather not have to wait for 5-8 years either).
There's also the possibility of using DLC to bring back old veterans such as Mewtwo, Roy, etc. that would likely not be included in the next Smash Bros. either.

As I've said before, the best possible way I could see doing this would be too make DLC an Expansion to the game, almost like an official Project M, that would add new characters, stages, music, etc and not be compatible online with Vanilla Smash 4

Alternatively, they could take a page from Harada's book. He's the director of the Tekken series and he made all of Tekken Tag Tournament 2's DLC absolutely free.
As an additional Alternative, they could do Demo DLC or allow DLC characters to be used in Training Mode free of charge to allow people to try them out before buying or to learn them a bit if they decide not to.
Either way, why not just wait next smash for veterans like that to come?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Either way, why not just wait next smash for veterans like that to come?
Simple, its unlikely that they'd be brought back in the Next Smash either.
DLC is honestly the perfect way to bring back previous veterans and stages that just aren't going to be included in the main game.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Simple, its unlikely that they'd be brought back in the Next Smash either.
DLC is honestly the perfect way to bring back previous veterans and stages that just aren't going to be included in the main game.
But why? Wouldn't it just be easier to put in those characters in this smash or next smash instead of just having them be DLC?

gameonion

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gameonion
3DS FC
4382-1966-1902
Not characters, but Music! Maybe if a new game comes out, they could add some music?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
But why? Wouldn't it just be easier to put in those characters in this smash or next smash instead of just having them be DLC?
Not even remotely.
Remember that they want to put in the characters that are higher on the totem pole and get them finished and the game released in a timely manner. They only have so long to work on the characters they are intending on having in the game without having to bring back every previous character. This is most proven by the cut characters found on the disc for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. In fact those characters help show how unlikely just putting them in the next Smash Bros. is a futile hope, since its very unlikely that we'll be seeing Plusle & Minun, Toon Zelda/Tetra, and Roy appear (unless Roy ends up as a costume for Marth to replace the Lucina costume now that she's her own character).
People would also likely be upset if they included 5 Fire Emblem characters by adding in Roy or 9 Pokemon by bringing back Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Pichu (assuming Jigglypuff returns as well) all as part of the initial roster whereas its more forgivable as DLC since then they are known to be extra characters and didn't 'take' the spot of another character.
For those characters, DLC is the only realistic option.

In addition, doing a DLC Expansion allows them to create a Pseudo-Sequel which wouldn't require them to remake all the previous characters but still add new content, since they get to re-use all of the original character models, stages, music, etc. and can release it for a smaller price essentially since anyone who bought the original version could just pay around, say, $15 for the Expansion and not make their original game essentially worthless.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Not even remotely.
Remember that they want to put in the characters that are higher on the totem pole and get them finished and the game released in a timely manner. They only have so long to work on the characters they are intending on having in the game without having to bring back every previous character. This is most proven by the cut characters found on the disc for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. In fact those characters help show how unlikely just putting them in the next Smash Bros. is a futile hope, since its very unlikely that we'll be seeing Plusle & Minun, Toon Zelda/Tetra, and Roy appear (unless Roy ends up as a costume for Marth to replace the Lucina costume now that she's her own character).
People would also likely be upset if they included 5 Fire Emblem characters by adding in Roy or 9 Pokemon by bringing back Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Pichu (assuming Jigglypuff returns as well) all as part of the initial roster whereas its more forgivable as DLC since then they are known to be extra characters and didn't 'take' the spot of another character.
For those characters, DLC is the only realistic option.
It'd just be much simpler to have no character DLC and just either:
A. Put them in this smash
B. Put them in next smash
C. Just play the smash where they came from

Blade | Linus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vegetto_DJW
3DS FC
4355-9748-0308
Smash Run and Stages the most. Characters for people like Dark Samus and Ridley.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
A. If they don't have the time or they are expendable, that wouldn't work.
B. That's 5-8 years away and its highly likely that they wouldn't be included in that game either.
C. That's not a good sentiment to have, since then what happens if you want to play that character and a friend wants to play a character only in this title? For instance, what if Sonic hadn't made it back and people wanted to have a Sonic vs MegaMan match? Do you tell this to people who want to see Mewtwo again or one of their favorite characters from Brawl? What if Ness was cut or something?

Denying DLC is, to me, a rather sad sentiment, since its saying 'lets have less content' because of some arbitrary reasoning. It wouldn't unbalance the game and DLC characters in other fighting games have never unbalanced the game either, so the belief it would is fallible and/or paranoid, and the belief that it would cause annoyance to those that couldn't buy it is also fallible since if you have the money for the game itself, it stands to reason that you would, at some point, have the money for DLC characters as well. In regards to not knowing the character, well then its exactly like not knowing a character prior to unlocking them and, to be honest, its not like anyone knows the ins and outs of every character anyway and likely can pick up the majority of how they work from videos online and the like.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
A. If they don't have the time or they are expendable, that wouldn't work.
B. That's 5-8 years away and its highly likely that they wouldn't be included in that game either.
C. That's not a good sentiment to have, since then what happens if you want to play that character and a friend wants to play a character only in this title? For instance, what if Sonic hadn't made it back and people wanted to have a Sonic vs MegaMan match? Do you tell this to people who want to see Mewtwo again or one of their favorite characters from Brawl? What if Ness was cut or something?
A. True.
B. What's the problem of waiting? We waited 6 years for this smash. We can just wait again.
C. True.
Also, since we waited a long time for a new smash to come after brawl, why didn't brawl have DLC?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Definitely characters. I say that mainly for Roy, because I think that FE has enough characters for the game, but if he was added for optional DLC it wouldn't be able to be seen as quite as excessive.

I know it's weird to think that it's better to add a character in DLC, but I think that description really fits Roy. Mewtwo, too, although I think he is justified being added in the game itself. I just think that DLC is the perfect compromise for past characters like Roy, which there really isn't room for in the series anymore, but many would still like to be able to play in the new titles.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I appreciate the sentiment of everyone here, Lucifer knows, but saying there should not be DLC content in this fashion is basically being ignorant of gaming at-large since about 2006. I realize Nintendo has yet to really test these waters, but they could use that alternative stream of cash, and this content exists in almost every other fighting game context.

It may not actually happen but holding your breath and pretending it won't happen is a ridiculous notion.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Look I'll be the typical guy and ask for characters when DLC is the topic here, especially if they didn't add Mewtwo yet.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
i though that was a offline ranking system
"Global".

Offline-only.

...Yeah, that doesn't really work, I'm pretty sure it has to be online. Also, that's the only real way to make the system work. It counts who you are rated higher than. If it's offline-only, it would have to constantly rebalance and tweak for new input. I mean, let's say you live in a city of 100 people. You are the best in your city, so you have a Global Smash Rating of 100.

Then someone comes over from a city of 50,000. He's only mediocre, so his rating is 25,000. By beating him, your rating goes up by... How much? 1, because it's one person? Leaving you with much lower Global Smash? Does the system assume that you're better than 25,000 other people as well, and boost your ranking by that much? Which then forces your entire town to be rebalanced.

Global Smash Power is definitely online, it's the only way it makes sense.

starbolt89

Smash Cadet
NNID
starbolt89
3DS FC
0860-4559-7031
i mean it's a solo ranking system i don't understand why not put a online match rank system...as for a new game type im thinking a battle royal 1 player gets knock out a new 1 joins in

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
i mean it's a solo ranking system i don't understand why not put a online match rank system...as for a new game type im thinking a battle royal 1 player gets knock out a new 1 joins in
Um, please explain what you mean.

Global Smash Power is an online ranking system. It ranks each player based on performance, and then tallies up the listing. It's just a reverse leaderboard. Instead of "1" being the best player, "1" is the worst.

It also funnels in data from multiple play modes instead of just competition.

This isn't going to change though. It was implemented this way to avoid the sort of ultimate jockeying for that elusive first position that occurs in every leaderboard everywhere. Since the highest ranking is variable, you can only push to improve yourself, you can't really push to beat others.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
You know, I have a personal conversation going where I was talking about DLC and this thread seems like it's a nice place to put these thoughts.

This is unedited and I am speaking with my friends so take that into consideration when regarding my tone.

Saito said:
I've got big ole stances against paid DLC in general. All of it is bad in my opinion.
However, if you HAVE to make something DLC to get some extra money, I'd prefer if it wasn't things like characters in fighting games.

It's horrible to me.
"Oh you liked ice climbers? Well you can get those if you buy the game for $60 and an additional $2 for them as well!"

It's not even that $2 is much, it's the morality of delivering the best experience.

Someone would say that "They already delivered a great game, the DLC is just to make it even greater."
This is a legitimate statement, but that's from a developers point of view. From the consumer's point of view, the experience isn't whole anymore because they are now missing out on something that is actually significant.

DLC is what turns off a lot of gamers, because developers end up putting really important things to a games core as DLC. Once you've added something core to the specific type of game as DLC, the experience isn't full anymore without that DLC.

I once suggested that costume DLCs if there has to be DLC would be better than character/stage DLC. I was met with "Why would I spend money on something like that? I don't feel like there is any reason I should buy that."

That's how DLC should be. It should be something that doesn't affect your game significantly and is something that is more of an addition rather than a necessity.

Someone might argue that Characters aren't a necessity, but in a game like smash brothers they are a necessity. The literal core of this game is to have hectic fun with other players while playing as notable Nintendo characters.

DLC in games in multiplayer games is probably one of the most difficult things to do fairly either. If you make it characters, other players who don't have it are excluded from those characters. If you make it stages, the same thing.

If you make it accessible online to those players then they start to wonder why they just can't use them. They would definitely have the data for them since they can play as them. It comes across as sketchy to a lot of people.

You could argue the same for costumes, but those are cosmetic more than experiences. At least everyone can play as the character they want or on the stage they want.

----------------------------

People will hound on me for saying that I think new characters should be Free DLC because I'm not giving the developers their due. You know, I hate the fact that they wouldn't be getting their fair share either, so I'd entirely prefer no character DLC. But if you have to make it, it should be free. It keeps your customers happy and it makes them far more profitable in the long run.

For example, if Nintendo said that Ridley would be in as character DLC but he was completely free, you have effectively gotten almost everyone that wanted ridley in smash to purchase the game. They don't have to think about whether or not it's fair to them because the company said "We know you guys want and love him, so have him for free!" All they have to do is purchase the game and have an internet connection :troll:

By doing that you never split the players either because even the people who already had the game get to appreciate the new characters as well.

Both Microsoft and Sony have lost many potential customers from their DLC strategies and I don't ever want to see that happen to Nintendo people who tend to be extremely loyal.

You know what though?
Nintendo has their fans in their hands because they've treated them right for so long. They could start throwing out DLC and most nintendo fans will defend it to the death because they aren't used to this and they love nintendo, but eventually they would break down too. It would take longer than sony or microsofts fans but it would happen.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
You know, I have a personal conversation going where I was talking about DLC and this thread seems like it's a nice place to put these thoughts.

This is unedited and I am speaking with my friends so take that into consideration when regarding my tone.
You're assuming that all DLC is something that already exists, though.

Take a look at Fire Emblem Awakening. That game has a ton of DLC. All of it was freshly developed as DLC. Over half of the DLC options in there were in direct request to fan feedback.

In the Future Past, we got expansions on the parent/children relationship that fleshed out the otherwise rather flimsy father relationships (due to the way children were handled in the game). We got the Scramble Pack, which is a ton of additional support conversations that increased the character development. We got the Challenge Pack, specifically to help those who wished for more variety and difficulty in maps. And we got Apotheosis for those who wanted a challenge for their Limit Broken units.

These were all developed as responses to fan feedback they received. It allowed them to take a great game, and make it better. There is nothing wrong with this, even from a consumer side.

If you're paying for an incomplete experience, if content is held back, you're right, that's horrible. But if content is developed further, that's only a good thing.

Or I guess you can just force them to release another full price game any time they decide they want to add a new character.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I would love DLC of characters that didn't quite make it into the game or of ones that had been cut in previous instalments. Like Roy, Ivysaur, or Pichu. (oh, and Mewtwo, if he doesn't make it back initially)

Last edited:
Top Bottom