• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to do against a...

JWah

Smash Rookie
D3 that just stands in the middle of the stage spamming side B and just grabs you when you try to approach?
This is how my friend plays D3 and he says "Its the most effective way to play DDD."
:confused:

Thanks

J4pu

Smash Champion
SHDL and IAP until he does something else.
Since that was your first post i will explain, SHDL=short hop double laser, and IAP=immediate aerial phantasm; find the thread that focuses on explaining Falco's techniques for an explanation if the name is not sufficient.

JWah

Smash Rookie
Im new to posting, not reading =p.
I can't SHDL since the wallawhatever's stop the lasers, and I cant IAP because the walalwhatever's stop me.
I try to arieal approach, he just shields and grabs me then continues to throw crap at me.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
That's pretty bad, but try using a roll to get closer, then using a Phantasm. He usually can't grab you unless he stops you during the Phantasm, which requires good timing.

It works against D3's I've played.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Spam grounded lasers. And if your close enough, but not in grabbing range, IAP works.

SH or Full hop air dodges can help with mindgames as well when approaching in the air. Or just run up and grab to chaingrab rather then attacking.

JWah

Smash Rookie
The thing with the air dodge mind games...Hes got like perfect timing when grabbing me out of the air,
me grabbing him means he spot dodges then grabs me.

I could try rolling to get a little closer then iap'ing, but in my mind I dont see it happening.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Jab Cancel into Grab? If you can get in a Nair you can start to CG after that unless he isn't that stupid to fall for it.

Approaching from SHDL to roll behind him or Revese Boost Grab to make it unexpected.

Jab x 3 you should abuse on them. Good for racking up damage, and then to a reflector, F-tilt or F-smash. If he spams his side-b that much, spam your laser, be ready to reflect a gordo if one shows and try to IAP as soon as you can.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Are you kidding?
You don't projectile spam and grab Falco, Falco projectile spams and grabs you.

Judgeing by how you describe your friend's playing style he's probably just a lot more skilled than you at the moment. I suggest actually listening to what the above poster's have told you and actually getting better as Falco overall than just basically throwing away their advice and johning.

JWah

Smash Rookie
Well with any arieal approach, he times his grabs so well that I cant do anything after I land cause he basically grabs me midair.

Jab x3's I use, I just cant do anything after it because ive played him so many times he knows what ill do after im done spinning.

And whats better about IAP than just doing it on the ground?

JWah

Smash Rookie
Are you kidding?

Judgeing by how you describe your friend's playing style he's probably just a lot more skilled than you at the moment. I suggest actually listening to what the above poster's have told you and actually getting better as Falco overall than just basically throwing away their advice and johning.
And by no means is he better than I.
Im way better at the technical playing than he is, he just sticks to basic defense
His defensive style just beats anything that I do

Also, Im not "throwing away" their advice, ive pretty much done everything they said before and it hasn't worked.

Ps - Just because I only have 5 posts on smashboards doesnt mean im noob to smash.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Well with any arieal approach, he times his grabs so well that I cant do anything after I land cause he basically grabs me midair.

Jab x3's I use, I just cant do anything after it because ive played him so many times he knows what ill do after im done spinning.

And whats better about IAP than just doing it on the ground?
Less Lag, Covers More Distance.

Try to use your reflector, if he couldn't punish its lag, or its a gordo, go up to him, then go fight, CG might help.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Listen, ddd vs falco is much better for falco. If you are taking everyone's advice and its not working then either your not doing it right or your friend is just too much better than you to compensate.

I'm sorry but the truth hurts.

bobwaffles

Smash Apprentice
Your lasers are much faster than his Waddle Dees. His projectile shouldn't be able to stop yours if you double laser properly, plus Falco has his reflector. Wait for him to approach.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
Your lasers should outspeed, out lag, and out range him.

To avoid shield grabbing from aerial attacks, try to land behind him so he can to at least turn around to grab.

DAC/DLX (whatever you what to call it) should be good against shielders. The dash attack either hits the waddledee/doo (unless you're unlucky and it's a gordo) or hits DDD, if he spot dodges/shields for a short time, the upsmash which follows should get him. However, it is not 100% reliable as you friend might learn to just hold hit shield longer, but the upsmash shoudl push him out of grab range.

The waddle dees/doo/gordo are also either hit or reflected by the shine, SHDL + Shine should stop almost all projectiles coming at you and hit him. You don't even need much skill to do it (meaning no need for silent laser at the end) as DDD is just a huge target.

What to do there once you got him under control? Chaingrabbing murders DDD, just like his own does to you. Yet you have a spike to chain it into, he doesn't.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Are you kidding?

This, especially the first line

JWah

Smash Rookie
Im gonna play him on Friday and ill try SHDL more...
thanks everyone (except for runawayfire >_>)

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
ledge camp for the win. And when he gets close do a hop up phantasm. Now he is gonna have to be on the offensive since he is close to the edge. Just be sure not to be caught by D3s up tilt since it out prioritizes the phantasm.

Blue_Bomber

Smash Cadet
Don't get grabbed. XD

But seriously, the one thing that makes the space animals better than any other projectile spammers ('cept maybe Pit) is their reflectors. You can reflect the waddles, but he's got nothing on your lasers except his meat shields. And he's a fairly big target. Try getting both of the lasers high in a SHDL, reflect if you see a gordo.

Top Bottom