• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what the heck is luigi's final smash about?

turtle roll

Smash Apprentice
but why does this fs have to be so... negative... hhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! i'm funn *hit by random bus*.

Colonel_Panic

Smash Rookie
- - SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO PLAY PAPER MARIO 2! Do not read if you like to keep in suspense during gameplay. - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiEy6cK0Hmw

Here is the final battle of Paper Mario. The story is that the dark side of Luigi was exploited by the villains and a "seed" was planted in that dark side. Of course, he doesn't turn into this hulk in Brawl, but that's where the idea came along for that dark Luigi (named in the game as Mr. L).

Play through the game to get the whole story. It's *really* well made.

- - END SPOILER - -

Magnacor

Smash Ace
- - SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO PLAY PAPER MARIO 2! Do not read if you like to keep in suspense during gameplay. - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiEy6cK0Hmw

Here is the final battle of Paper Mario. The story is that the dark side of Luigi was exploited by the villains and a "seed" was planted in that dark side. Of course, he doesn't turn into this hulk in Brawl, but that's where the idea came along for that dark Luigi (named in the game as Mr. L).

Play through the game to get the whole story. It's *really* well made.

- - END SPOILER - -
*sigh* I repeat again, this attack did not originate from Super Paper Mario. Sakurai made it up to help differentiate Luigi from Mario. The trophy description basically says that the Negative Zone was learned from the dark side that Luigi embraced while trapped in his brothers shadow.

but why does this fs have to be so... negative... hhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! i'm funn *hit by random bus*.
Lol @ lame joke

ThatOtherGuy

Smash Cadet
I repeat, this is the translated trophy description. It has nothing to do with overdosage of 'shrooms, Mr. L from Super Paper Mario, his Mega Strike, or green ghosts. Judgng from this:

Sakurai didn't want him to be pictured as Mario's clone; he wanted him pictured as his own character. Judging from what Sakurai said and the trophy description, I think this Final Smash represents that he is no longer in Mario's shadow and is free to not rip-off Mario's moves any longer. Personally, I'm glad they took this approach instead of just making him do the same things as Mario except a lot wimpier. *crosses fingers for new Luigi game*
I agree that Sakurai didn't necessarily draw from Mr. L or anything similar for the nature of this final smash, but it does seem like whoever came up with Mr. L and Sakurai had similar inspiration: What's it like to be #2 all the time, and never (or very rarely) #1? It's got to be frustrating on some level, even if it is (usually) bottled up deep inside.

boss8

Smash Hero
luigis final smash is called the (negative zone) which has 3 effects on your opponent.

1.continue'ous taunting
2.flower on there head and loss or speed.
3.fall asleep.
4.if your in the negative zone your going to go slow......(except luigi)

note there is a rumor that if luigi hits u with a taunt while in the negative zone you will automatically die!!!! no mater what percent....that my friend is luigi's FS.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
I agree that Sakurai didn't necessarily draw from Mr. L or anything similar for the nature of this final smash, but it does seem like whoever came up with Mr. L and Sakurai had similar inspiration: What's it like to be #2 all the time, and never (or very rarely) #1? It's got to be frustrating on some level, even if it is (usually) bottled up deep inside.
I agree with you there. Sakurai may not have been drawing off the idea of Mr. L directly, but he definitely had a similar concept in mind.

luigis final smash is called the (negative zone) which has 3 effects on your opponent.

1.continue'ous taunting
3.fall asleep.

note there is a rumor that if luigi hits u with a taunt while in the negative zone you will automatically die!!!! no mater what percent....that my friend is luigi's FS.
The rumor was semi-prove true. Lighter characters can die at low percentages from his taunt, but heavier ones need more damage on them. Of course with Luigi's Final Smash that shouldn't be a problem.

Necro Pit

Smash Cadet
*SPOILER*

Okay everyone his final smash is from Super Paper Mario.
I think it's supposed to be called "the negative zone" because that's where you first meet Mr. L ( a brainwashed Luigi who is evil) and the negative zone is a green and the gravity is screwed up. And later in the game there are regular people with sprouts on there heads who are brainwashed because of that which explains the sprouts they get on there head. I don't really understand why he dances though.

C 3

Smash Ace
he dances because he's luigi. nuff said.
Excellent point haha

One of these IS what it is based on. No questions asked.

http://www.mariowiki.com/-1

http://www.mariowiki.com/Subspace

I put subspace in there because world -1 makes more sense as far as the name(negative) but things dont really change or invert. Whereas in subspace, the color scheme changes, veggies become coins etc.

Also, i definitely thought it was based on a bad shroom trip at first(personally i think it is but they couldnt say that publicly)
I thought it was based on a shroom trip too haha but then I realized the negative zone part of it.... then it spoiled my dream....

Because it's the negative zone.

*sigh* I repeat again, this attack did not originate from Super Paper Mario. Sakurai made it up to help differentiate Luigi from Mario. The trophy description basically says that the Negative Zone was learned from the dark side that Luigi embraced while trapped in his brothers shadow.

Lol @ lame joke
True.

I don't care if it looks weird. I love it!
Amen.

1.continue'ous taunting
3.fall asleep.

There are more effects than that. Check smashbros.com.

But why would you taunt? I mean, you probably should kick the living hell outta everybody. =3
It's a final smash............ what better time to taunt (except when you kill someone :p)

Because taunting them to death is much more fun and destroys your opponents confidence... But mostly the first reason.
Amen.

*SPOILER*

I think it's supposed to be called "the negative zone" because that's where you first meet Mr. L ( a brainwashed Luigi who is evil) and the negative zone is a green and the gravity is screwed up. And later in the game there are regular people with sprouts on there heads who are brainwashed because of that which explains the sprouts they get on there head. I don't really understand why he dances though.
Thanks for the enlightenment.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
*SPOILER*

No, it's not. The characters in the Negative Zone don't get sprouts on their head, they get flowers from Lip's Stick. It has little to nothing to do with Super Paper Mario. See 4th quote in C 3's post.

feddieboy

Smash Rookie
The trophy says it is a reflection of the dark side he embraced while in his brothers shadow. looks like colonel was right.

Starizzle

Smash Apprentice
he makes everyone get high and they get a flower on their heads and do random taunts and sleep and do weird status, etc

duh :]

KloudMunky

Smash Cadet
Luigi's FS consists of Luigi performing a strange, hippie-like dance with hippie music playing. Luigi releases a strange green sphere that inverts the colors. Foes trapped in this sphere suffer from numerous side affects, including:

- Greatly reduced attack power
- Greater launch distance when hit
- Increased liklihood of slipping
- Steady increase in damage percentage
- Diziness
- Uncontrollable taunting
- Sudden sleepiness
- Decreased movment speed
- Strange flower growth on head

... and so on.

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
His "Final Smash" attack is the Bipolar Zone, which traps his foes in the area around him and plagues them with numerous disadvantages. These include drastically reduced attack power(A decrease in energy is a very common symptom for those who are clinically depressed), greater launch distance when hit(Although not dieting, there is a marked loss of weight ), increased likelihood of slipping(If a person is agitated, he or she may find it difficult to stand still), sudden sleepiness(Insomnia is the most common type of sleep disturbance for people who are clinically depressed), uncontrollable taunting(appears to be overly irritable, these may also indicate the presence of depressed mood. ), and decreased movement speed(A person may feel tired without having engaged in any physical activity)
Depressed video game characters may think of themselves in very negative, unrealistic ways such as manifesting a Final Smash with past "failures"(Luigi‘s Mansion), or believing that minor mistakes prove their inadequacy(Super Mario Brothers Movie)

Source-www.nintendo.com/SSBB/characters/Luigi/Satk6/546789226437

Exovel

Smash Ace
This thread seems to just repeat itself endlessly.

We get it. Luigi doesn't like being Mario's little clone, so he makes a wacky negative force field that makes other people suck. Got it? Good.

Hooray for Final Smashing.

star_wolf86

Smash Rookie
If you're on a small stage(like my favorite stage, Lylat Cruise), then Negative Zone can be an amazing final smash. Just activate it in the dead center of the stage, and it should cover just about everybody on the stage. Afterwards, just run up to each player, and Super Jump Punch each one. Guaranteed OHKOs for everyone.

Top Bottom