• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What stages do you ban?

What stage do you think is the Worst Stage Ever? (P:M)

• Total voters

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
In Project M, what 5 stages do you think are least viable for competitive play? (Excluding Training Stage, it's for training not fighting). Why do you think these stages are not good enough for a serious match?
For example: I do not use temple because it encourages camping at higher levels of damage and slows down normal gameplay.

This isn't a "ROAR, THESE STAGES ARE HORRIBLE!" thread. I'm curious as to see what the community sees of certain stages, and why they do. ^_^ Please play nice while debating. :)

If you choose other in the poll please feel free to put which stage and why.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Flat Zone 2 is my least favorite because it has no lower blast zone whatsoever, so I end up winning by trying to throw other people into the hazards. After all, if we're all trying to battle each other without any regards to the hazards we inevitably end up launched by them in the middle of a combo anyway, so it's the perfect casual stage I guess.

Not a mark against casual play or anything, but to me Smash has always been about floating islands or structures high in the sky. Because successfully knocking someone out of the ring while being dominant of the only safe part of the stage--the ground to stand on--makes you feel successfully in control.

So if I get knocked by a little jab near the outer limits of a blast zone to the side on the floor when I'm just trying to return his attack, it feels really cheap. At least when you get knocked off a stage like Fountain of Dreams the person trying to edgeguard your recovery can still take a hit from your up-B. While still doing some cool wall jump techniques.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Big Blue is a hilarious level, but I can't even enjoy matches there when it's a 4-player FFA. It's just too much, haha.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
This isn't a "ROAR, THESE STAGES ARE HORRIBLE!" thread. I'm curious as to see what the community sees of certain stages, and why they do. ^_^ Please play nice while debating. :)
I've gotta ask, and this thread seems appropriate. IS there a list of banned stages for PM?
PM is the only Smash I know of where a poll named "What do you think is the worst stage ever?" Isn't dominated by poor design choices like Icicle Mountain or Hanenbow or Yoshi Story 64.
Moving on:
Worst Competitive: Castle Siege. Of all the transformation stages, this one is so boring. Stage one is very cramped while stage 2 (3?) teeters above the abyss of inconsistent ledge placement.
Worst Casual: Shadow Moses Island. Great music, but only fox usmash kills. Break the walls? ****, Ain't no one got time fo dat. Especially against fox...

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Shadow Moses is pretty awful on 1 v 1, but I love it in teams or FFA. Seriously though it's like the worst thing ever in 1 v 1.

Blarg I'm Dead

Smash Apprentice
Big blue is actually pretty fun vs casuals. You have better movement, you win lol.

In tourney play I don't really like saffron city or hyrule castle much. The walls bug me on the latter and saffron has some uphill just lol match ups, like marth vs snake. Marth's dtilt absolutely ***** snake's recovery on saffron.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
why do people hate skyworld and pkmn stadium 1? it never made sense why people would make competetive stages for page one, yet nearly every tournament I watch most of the top row is banned. shouldn't it be so all of page one is legal?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
why do people hate skyworld and pkmn stadium 1? it never made sense why people would make competetive stages for page one, yet nearly every tournament I watch most of the top row is banned. shouldn't it be so all of page one is legal?
Have you ever seen a competitive match on PS1? Most of the time, people just go afk on the mountain transformation. In the past, skyworld had some break able flooring to it, so it was never viable. Now, I guess people just don't like the stage because of the edge, blast zones, platform placements etc. I don't know people don't like it, they just don't. Also, keeping all the competitive stages on page one, let alone just one page, makes it easier to navagate.

Page2is4fun

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
If you want the true stage selection at most tournaments, look no further than the bottom row.
Seriously, 90% of matches never leave that section.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Have you ever seen a competitive match on PS1? Most of the time, people just go afk on the mountain transformation. In the past, skyworld had some break able flooring to it, so it was never viable. Now, I guess people just don't like the stage because of the edge, blast zones, platform placements etc. I don't know people don't like it, they just don't. Also, keeping all the competitive stages on page one, let alone just one page, makes it easier to navagate.

and yeah, i see your point. about the campyness. i just really like it cause it's an exciting stage to play on for me, the transformations mean it's something i have to adapt to, and i love it. as for skyworld? well, i really never had a problem with it. I like it even. I don't know how people can hate that one that has relatively small blast zones and not hate wario ware.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
-Shadow Moses has no redeemable qualities as a stage.
-Brinstar could be fun, but it's unplayable with the stupid acid.
-Corneria is the most broken stage, however. The ceiling is lower than every other stage (I think) and yet it's really wide, and Arwings attack without warning.
-Summit could be a fun casual stage if it had grab-able ledges.

Honestly, crazy stages like Big Blue are good stupid fun and are still more fair than something as broken as Shadow Moses.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
You know you have a problem when you're opponent is "uncomfortable" playing a friendly match on Dracula's Castle or Green Hill Zone.
Said person, could be uncomfortable if he's fox :3

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
-Shadow Moses has no redeemable qualities as a stage.
-Brinstar could be fun, but it's unplayable with the stupid acid.
-Corneria is the most broken stage, however. The ceiling is lower than every other stage (I think) and yet it's really wide, and Arwings attack without warning.
-Summit could be a fun casual stage if it had grab-able ledges.

Honestly, crazy stages like Big Blue are good stupid fun and are still more fair than something as broken as Shadow Moses.
Shadow Mosses, even from a casual standpoint this stage BLOWS!
It's nice to meet a group of people who think that a stage is more than it's music track.
...although "Calling to the Night" is far and away the best track on the Brawl disc. Such a fast, intense fighting game has a soothing love ballad for a soundtrack. It's hard to play over the laughter~

On topic, I find that "Middle Row" stages are stages that don't have a huge crippling flaw or gimmick but aren't exactly balanced. Not many smash stages have held this niche before (PictoChat & PS1 come to mind). With SEVEN "starter" stages to pick from and the largest sets being played best 3-5 in tournaments, is there ever much reason to leave the bottom row outside of "variety"?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
It's nice to meet a group of people who think that music doesn't make a stage playable.
...although "Calling to the Night" is far and away the best track on the Brawl disc. Such a fast, intense fighting game has a soothing love ballad for a soundtrack. It's hard to play over the laughter~

On topic, I find that "Middle Row" stages are stages that don't have a huge crippling flaw or gimmick but aren't exactly balanced. Not many smash stages have held this niche before (PictoChat comes to mind). With SEVEN "starter" stages to pick from and the largest sets being played best 3-5 in tournaments, is there ever much reason to leave the bottom row outside of "variety"?
Excuse me? There are a million things wrong with that stage and the music is not one of them, hell the music is probably the only redeeming quality that stage has.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
Excuse me? There are a million things wrong with that stage and the music is not one of them, hell the music is probably the only redeeming quality that stage has.
...wow, that came out wrong >.<;; I meant to say that people here see that stages are more than their soundtracks or franchises.
Sorry if I offended anyone...

Master of Fossils

Smash Apprentice
I haven't got around to playing 3.0 yet, but I'd imagine Shadow Moses Island would be the PERFECT stage for Turbo Stamina matches. It might even work alright for just Turbo mode in general.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Yeah they do. When the left platform is at it's lowest, the right one is at it's highest and vice versa.
Cool! I might look into it then.

My personal vision for Summit is where it only stays there without falling into the sea, and is much larger, with some extended areas for an extra cloud to fight on that stays still. It could be the new Temple, a big stage that nonetheless still feels like it's not overly spacious (looking at you, New Pork City). I mean there's already a barrier in the very middle like Temple has, and also only certain parts could be slippery, not everywhere.

I don't imagine this version be tourney viable or whatever, but I'd love it. I love Temple even if it's banned most of the time because of how hectic things get even without hazards or being a walk off stage. It's great for casual play.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I'm not a fan of Training Room for combat purposes. It's pretty good for training, though.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
If they took that random ice chunk out, made the platforms stay still, maybe add a little something flashy like a cloud platform that moves side to side, Summit could be tournament ready. That's obvi not what Summit was made for but I want my fav vg characters ever to have a not irritating home stage.

Ginge

Smash Ace
If they took that random ice chunk out, made the platforms stay still, maybe add a little something flashy like a cloud platform that moves side to side, Summit could be tournament ready. That's obvi not what Summit was made for but I want my fav vg characters ever to have a not irritating home stage.

Those all sound like good changes to me. I'd play on a non-moving / no fish / no icicle Summit. With a cloud.

Top Bottom