• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What other fighting games catch your interest besides Smash?

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
For me, personally, SNK's fighting games fit my tastes well, especially since my favorite SNK game is Garou: Mark of the Wolves. I main B. Jenet (due to her playstyle and great range), if you have played this game before.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'm not sure if they're technically classified as fighting games, but as a kid, I used to play a lot out of Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2 and Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

Street Fighter is my most-played fighting game for sure. I enjoy playing most other fighters, but I'm generally not a fan of Marvel-style tag-team games.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Street Fighter is my most-played fighting game for sure. I enjoy playing most other fighters, but I'm generally not a fan of Marvel-style tag-team games.
Me, too. I've been finding myself watching a lot of SFIV competitive videos.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I'm in to playing retro fighting games from the 16-bit era. For that reason I still play Super Street Fighter II, Weaponlord and Mortal Kombat II. Somebody recently made me aware that Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is still played competitively so I'm gonna try to get my friends in to it.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
POKKEN TOURNAMENT (Hyyyype)

Tekken
Injustice (eh kinda)
Street fighter (looks awesome)

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
Besides Sm4sh i play Alot of Skullgirls and Guilty Gear Xrd. I will be playing SFV when that gets released as well.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Killer Instinct. I want to get into it, but you have to buy ALL of the characters. Being a Rare fan, this game looks better than other fighters. I know SF is more popular though. I just prefer KI. I main Jago, and I am learning Saberwulf.

AzulWolfSmash

Smash Rookie
NNID
SkyOkamiWolf
Besides Smash being my fav fighting game I also like the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm series (*Hype intensifies for Storm 4*). I also played Tekken games. I don't play them anymore though because that game is difficult to me plus it's a commitment. I also like Street Fighter a little. There's one game I really want a remake of and that's Darkstalkers. I wish Capcom would take a break on street fighter and remake this.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Did anybody buy Rare Replay so they could play Killer Instinct Gold on the Xbox One?

If I owned an XB1 I'd a been all over it but I opted to get a PS4 instead. I guess the upside is that I'll be able to play Street Fighter V. ;)

Last edited:

enemy1

Smash Rookie
Love me some Skull Girls, Guilty Gear, and SF 3rd Strike. Cant wait for Cerebrawl.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Depsite owning it for more than a year now, I started playing Skullgirls recently. Valentine is friggin hype.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
It's cool the way people make MAME cabinets to play classic fighting games as well as the newer stuff.

I like 90's fighting games for the same reason that I still enjoy Smash 64, they reward aggressive and offensive gameplay.

mrdoingboing

Smash Cadet
Skullgirls is a lot of fun. I feel like people who are fans of Melee would get a lot out of it since the game's combo system allows a lot more freedom than most traditional fighters.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
Street Fighter and Skull Girls look interesting to me, but I don't have a console to play them on ;-;

But being the die-hard Pokemon fan I am, Pokken Tournament looks really swiggin.

a dog

Smash Cadet
I'll play most any fighting game I can, even obscure ones like Breaker's Revenge and Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire.

I'm not actually good at any of them though. =P

Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I've been considering purchasing Mortal Kombat X for my PS4. Does anybody here own it and care to share their thoughts?

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
if i ever had the time and/or desire to pick up a second game i'd probably want to play street fighter but mostly because that's the only other relevant fighting game i know of aside from marvel

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I played that multiplatform one that released on the GCN with Link. It was fun sometimes, but as you can see the name has completely left my mind. (I would say that's more an indication of somewhere in my memory going screwy than any kind of opinion over the game lol).

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
I played that multiplatform one that released on the GCN with Link. It was fun sometimes, but as you can see the name has completely left my mind. (I would say that's more an indication of somewhere in my memory going screwy than any kind of opinion over the game lol).
You're talking about Soul Caliber 2

a dog

Smash Cadet
if i ever had the time and/or desire to pick up a second game i'd probably want to play street fighter but mostly because that's the only other relevant fighting game i know of aside from marvel
Marvel 3 isn't all that relevant anymore. Spectators find it boring to watch and players are dropping it left and right.

Street Fighter much more relevant, especially with the new game release on the horizon. This is actually the perfect time to consider picking it up, because most everyone will be starting freshly anew so it will be easier to find people of a beginner skill level.

Last edited:
NNID
GateThief
3DS FC
1719-4174-7629
I mostly play Skullgirls outside of smash, though I do play Lethal League and Blazblue on the odd occasion. For Skullgirls I main Fukua and am currently messing around with the rest of the cast to find a good secondary. I also plan to pick up Street Fighter V and Killer Instinct when they hit PC.

MetalMonk

Smash Cadet
I've been considering purchasing Mortal Kombat X for my PS4. Does anybody here own it and care to share their thoughts?
It's a lot of fun. It's got a great system and I feel like the game flows well and is easy to pick up. The combos can be just as difficult as traditional MK but, with different stances on characters, it allows nice variety and pleasant learning curve.
Kotal Khan is my man.

To contribute a bit more, I've also played a decent amount of Marvel Vs Capcom although I'm not the greatest...
Soul Calibur was my jam for many of years. The only one I didn't buy were 1 and 3 purely for console reasons.
Street Fighter has always been fun, however, like MVC I'm mediocre at best.
I also love me some Tekken and am pretty hyped about Pokken.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I used to play UMvC3, but recently I've been trying to get into more traditional fighting games (specifically Street Fighter and Guilty Gear). I have SSIV and even though I'm terrible at it, I still want to get better. I haven't touched a Guilty Gear game though I really want to try it out.

a dog

Smash Cadet
Guilty Gear really isn't a "traditional" fighter in the Street Fighter/Fatal Fury/Fighter's History sense. GG is a highly technical fighter, with characters that require a lot of setups and execution, and it's arguably even tougher to master than Marvel 2. So if you do pick it up, I hope you know that there is a substantial learning curve before you could be competitive at it. To give a comparison in Smash terms: GG is to Street Fighter IV as Melee is to Smash 4. All of these games have tech, it's just that GG and Melee require substantially more precise execution.

Heck, even members of the American GG community tend to get totally bodied by the even more highly skilled Japanese players when they come over here. It's just that kind of game where the skill ceiling is set really, really high.

Of course, if you're looking to just play casually, I think it is still possible to find people of a medium skill level online. GGXrd reportedly has lots of average Sol Badguy players in the same way that Street Fighter has loads of average Kens and Ryus. Try before you buy, if you can.

Last edited:

Robo no Hana

Smash Rookie
I mostly play 3rd strike on ps3 and Skullgirls on PC when I'm not playing smash 4.

Also, I'd love if the Hiryu No Ken series was still around.

D

Deleted member

I played Blazblue ~4 years ago, but I lost interest in it now.

Rich Homie Supreme

Smash Rookie
NNID
StriderJon
I'm really into dragon ball z extreme butoden for the 3ds. It's marvel vs capcom-esque in that you can tag between multiple characters and use assists.v it has hardcore stuff in it if you want that but it's still extremely fun on the surface as well. If you have a 3ds and like dragon ball, I highly recommend that you check it out.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
Even though I'm not good at any fighting game except for Smash Bros, I like playing them and I try to play any fighting game I can. 2D Street Fighter styled games (is there an official name for those kind of games?) are probably the ones I'm somewhat decent at like Skullgirls, Capcom vs., BlazBlue, and Street Fighter itself. But I love my 3D fighters like Tekken, Dead or Alive, and Sonic the Fighters (yeah, I love that game XD).

a dog

Smash Cadet
Even though I'm not good at any fighting game except for Smash Bros, I like playing them and I try to play any fighting game I can. 2D Street Fighter styled games (is there an official name for those kind of games?) are probably the ones I'm somewhat decent at like Skullgirls, Capcom vs., BlazBlue, and Street Fighter itself. But I love my 3D fighters like Tekken, Dead or Alive, and Sonic the Fighters (yeah, I love that game XD).
The term that is typically used is just "2D fighting games".

Last edited:

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
I have a general interest in all fighting games even though I'm generally crap at all of them. Skullgirls is probably my favorite.

Top Bottom