• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What other fighting games catch your interest besides Smash?

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
I'm a huge fan of fighting games but I watch them online via tournament/casual streams as I'm pretty terrible at them. I mainly played (Ultimate) Marvel vs Capcom 3 and anime-style fighters like Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax. I really need to pick up Guilty Gear and BlazBlue.

I'm super excited for Street Fighter V, Pokken Tournament and Tekken 7 next year.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
I play Touhou 10.5 and 12.3 a long time ago which I'm decent despite using a keyboard than a controller.

Right now, I'm interested of playing Pokken Tournament.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Marvel vs Capcom was always my secondary, along with Tekken. Everything else I tend to play sporatically. Gonna take the KoF plunge because my girlfriend is Hispanic and a lot her older relatives and friends play.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I looooooove me some Mortal Kombat. I've actually been playing it longer than Smash. However, not as good at it as I am at Smash.

Also a big big fan of the DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi and SoulCalibur games.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I don't play much fighting games other than Smash (only really casual ones like DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi and Tatsunoko v Capcom) but I do want to invest some time in learning Pokken Tournament this spring. Still deciding on a main in case they announce more character between now and Wii U release.

D

Deleted member

I've played a ton of fighting games..... Huge fan of them. Recently I've gotten into SNK games such as the king of fighters. And I'm looking forward to Street Fighter V and Pokken tournament.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I'm terrible at fighting games. I love watching them though.
My forum namesake is related to Blazblue, my favorite fighting game to watch story-wise and gameplay-wise.

l_wan

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1650-3162-8641
I'm kinda bad at others, but I do enjoy Darkstalkers, SF III and Jojo's Biarre Adventure.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Word on the street is that Mortal Kombat X is going to be on sale for just $25 on Black Friday. Still debating if I should pick it up for my PlayStation 4. Thoughts?

-NAFAN-

Smash Cadet
Love me some Arc System fighters (Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Persona 4 arena etc.), Street Fighter Alpha 3/3rd strike and Street Fighter vs SNK. All pretty hype in my opinion.

FlanticPineapple

Smash Rookie
NNID
DPGxPinepple
I love me some Mortal Kombat. I also love UMVC3. Any fighting game really it is mostly because the formula doesn't change too much and there is always something new you can learn from them. Street Fighter, Tekken, DOA, Soul Caliber, BlazBlue, Skullgirls, pretty much every fighting game.

Aife

Smash Apprentice
Elsword?

Idk, I never really liked the way mortal combat, street fighter, or anything of those are set up. When I'm forced onto a flat 2'd plane with limited movement capabilities, I get vry bored very quickly.

Of course I recognize that giving someone the ability to freely roam in a fighting game would be detramental to forcing people to actually fight each other, so its finding games that strike a good balance for my personal preference. Elsword hits a few marks, although game balance in that game can reach annoyingly questionable points at times.

Smash also fits the bill, but I haven't quite got into it the same way i did els. Maybe someday.

FlanticPineapple

Smash Rookie
NNID
DPGxPinepple
Elsword?

Idk, I never really liked the way mortal combat, street fighter, or anything of those are set up. When I'm forced onto a flat 2'd plane with limited movement capabilities, I get vry bored very quickly.

Of course I recognize that giving someone the ability to freely roam in a fighting game would be detramental to forcing people to actually fight each other, so its finding games that strike a good balance for my personal preference. Elsword hits a few marks, although game balance in that game can reach annoyingly questionable points at times.

Smash also fits the bill, but I haven't quite got into it the same way i did els. Maybe someday.
Elsword is really like a 2D side scrolling beat'em up instead of a fighting game. It's a lot like an RPG in sense because it sort of has that level up system and you can equip different items to your character if I'm not mistaken. I may be thinking of GrandChase.

Aife

Smash Apprentice
its not the level up system I care for tho, its the freedom of movement.

I would definitely consider the 1v1 scene to be a fighting game by the loosest of definitions.

I mean, while I don't support their inclusion, I wouldn't take away Smash's fighting game title if equipment suddenly became legal.

Last edited:

FlanticPineapple

Smash Rookie
NNID
DPGxPinepple
its not the level up system I care for tho, its the freedom of movement.

I would definitely consider the 1v1 scene to be a fighting game by the loosest of definitions.

I mean, while I don't support their inclusion, I wouldn't take away Smash's fighting game title if equipment suddenly became legal.
I personally don't put fighting games onto a scale with RPGs because they are two different game genres I hope that you don't think that I am slandering your views I just wanted to add my personal opinion.

Aife

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't put fighting games onto a scale with RPGs because they are two different game genres I hope that you don't think that I am slandering your views I just wanted to add my personal opinion.
well I'm not refering to the overall game, its more a mmo rpg then a fighting game if you keep everything into account. (PVE is definitely beat em' up for example.) But the way we describe the fights within the game are remarkably similar to what people use in fighting games, if not the exact same thing. "Neutral", "oki" "set play" "1v1" "Spacing" "forcing an approach", are all terms because the fights are viewed with the lens of a fighting game on. (also Community tournaments restrict items, gear (to spar gear), and hypers. (Although that has more to do with the cooldown confliction then them being broken in 1v1.)

Even if the game isn't overall one, the experience I get with the game is certainly has a fighting game feel to it. A lot of the terms I've learned there applied over in smash, and the very few street fighter matches I've watched. (Oki even came directly from a street-fighter term I think.)

Last edited:

FlanticPineapple

Smash Rookie
NNID
DPGxPinepple
well I'm not refering to the overall game, its more a mmo rpg then a fighting game if you keep everything into account. (PVE is definitely beat em' up for example.) But the way we describe the fights within the game are remarkably similar to what people use in fighting games, if not the exact same thing. "Neutral", "oki" "set play" "1v1" "Spacing" "forcing an approach", are all terms because the fights are viewed with the lens of a fighting game on. (also Community tournaments restrict items, gear (to spar gear), and hypers. (Although that has more to do with the cooldown confliction then them being broken in 1v1.)

Even if the game isn't overall one, the experience I get with the game is certainly has a fighting game feel to it. A lot of the terms I've learned there applied over in smash, and the very few street fighter matches I've watched. (Oki even came directly from a street-fighter term I think.)
Agreed I like playing Elsword it has many different aspects that are the same to a fighting game. I have been playing fighting games for a long time and I have played many RPGs. I like both genres they are fun and they have many things that you can continue to learn.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I play Street Fighter IV on the side (I main M. Bison and Sagat) and I play the **** out of Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3.

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
To everyone saying that they've played the Budokai Tenkaichi series. Those games were the greatest.

Rosten

Smash Rookie
NNID
SSerif
The only other fighting game I've ever, even semi-seriously played was Skullgirls, I still play it on occasion to this day.

Satonakas

Smash Cadet
NNID
itsiantime
3DS FC
1693-3665-7953
I usually play Tekken or Persona 4 Arena... I used to play Soul Calibur 2 but other than my sister nobody else played it :(

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
Honestly, the only fighting games outside of Super Smash Bros. that ever appealed to me were Clay Fighter 2: Judgement Clay, Sonic Battle, and the Mortal Kombat series (the 3D games onwards). Clay Fighter 2's aesthetic and cast was more visually pleasing to me than Street Fighter II (and was easier for me to get into as I was a wee kid back then), Sonic Battle was similarly in the same boat as Clay Fighter 2, and Mortal Kombat was not only in the same boat as those two games but it had a lore and story that I was genuinely interested in. If I had to be honest, the Street Fighter franchise is my least favorite fighting game franchise out of all the others I've played in my life with the only entry that I genuinely liked being Street Fighter Alpha 2 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. I've played Dead or Alive Dimensions for the Nintendo 3DS (one of the most infamous fighting game franchises to date) and I honest-to-God have no issue with the franchise, actually finding interest in the plot and characters whereas Street Fighter never did it for me.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Honestly, the only fighting games outside of Super Smash Bros. that ever appealed to me were Clay Fighter 2: Judgement Clay, Sonic Battle, and the Mortal Kombat series (the 3D games onwards). Clay Fighter 2's aesthetic and cast was more visually pleasing to me than Street Fighter II (and was easier for me to get into as I was a wee kid back then), Sonic Battle was similarly in the same boat as Clay Fighter 2, and Mortal Kombat was not only in the same boat as those two games but it had a lore and story that I was genuinely interested in. If I had to be honest, the Street Fighter franchise is my least favorite fighting game franchise out of all the others I've played in my life with the only entry that I genuinely liked being Street Fighter Alpha 2 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. I've played Dead or Alive Dimensions for the Nintendo 3DS (one of the most infamous fighting game franchises to date) and I honest-to-God have no issue with the franchise, actually finding interest in the plot and characters whereas Street Fighter never did it for me.
My guess is that you like fighting games that are story-driven. Street Fighter really doesn't have that good of a lore, as most of it is actually made up by people outside of Capcom.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
My guess is that you like fighting games that are story-driven. Street Fighter really doesn't have that good of a lore, as most of it is actually made up by people outside of Capcom.
Story-driven games happen to be among my favorite (if not the favorite) types of games, so it especially helps that Mortal Kombat is precisely that. I might be a little more interested in Street Fighter if it's lore was more interesting to me as I already don't like it's gameplay to a degree.

Professor Fizwidgit

Smash Rookie
The only other fighting game I have ever played and gotten into is War of the Monsters on the ps2, I love that game but sadly no one else plays it so I just don't bother.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
3rd Strike is too good (That's why I main Ryu lol), also Skullgirls is great.

Last edited:

Nick DePaul

Smash Cadet
NNID
nickzaroo
3DS FC
3239-4036-3837
im hyped for poken tornament don't like marvel vs. capcom its too weird and stupid to me

HydroJames

Smash Rookie
NNID
HydroJames
3DS FC
3823-8974-5701
I also play Soul Calibur. I started off as a casual player before paying more attention to the core game.
Before I joined Smashboards for Super Smash Bros., I joined 8 Way Run for Soul Calibur. Over there, I got to talk to fellow fans of the Soul Series as well as some competitive players who go to tournaments. I even got the chance to play the tournament level players through online play, since I did not have time or the money to compete at local tournaments (let alone the skill it takes to win them).
Needless to say, I lost often and badly... -_-

A Very Nice Dishwasher

Smash Apprentice
I sometimes play Street Fighter, but I suck REALLY bad. Every time I play, my strategy eventually falls down to "spam the character's most powerful attack and/or mash buttons and hope for the best."

I'm planning on playing Pokken a lot once it comes out. I think I'm going to main Weavile or Machamp (maybe Braixen, too).

Top Bottom