• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What "monster collecting" videogame franchises do you want to see represented in Smash?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
"Monster collecting" has become a genre of videogames since the early 2000s. It all started when others began to emulate the style and formula of Pokemon.

Here are some examples:
  • Pokemon (of course because it was the pioneer of its genre)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • Beyblade
  • Yo-Kai Watch
  • Digimon
  • Monster Rancher

So what "monster collecting" videogame franchises would you like to see represented in Smash?

The only "Monster collecting" franchises that I want to see represented with playable characters are Yo-Kai Watch and Digimon.

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
It would be really awesome if Jack Frost from Shin Megami Tensei was playable. (If I recall SMT had monster collecting elements so it's probably eligable.) When it comes to Digimon I actually want Gomamon. :)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok yu gi oh is not a video game series its a manga series. and i think beyblade is a toy

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
theyre still illegitimate for smash
I already know that both Yugioh and Beyblade aren't eligible. As of now, Jibanyan (Yokai Watch) and Agumon (Digimon) are the only two 3rd party "monster collecting" primary reps that deserve to be playable. Suezo (Monster Rancher), Medabee (Medabots), Dragonoid (Bakugan), etc are all just to obscure.

And to clarify, yes, Bakugan is a videogame franchise. It was originally planned to debut as a vieogame. Here's one of my previous posts explaining more:
Bakugan is not only obscure nowadays, but it was originally planned to debut as a videogame. The Bakugan videogames were planned before the tabletop game and anime. While the anime and tabletop games were released first, they were soley used to promote the Bakugan videogames. So, thus Bakugan is a videogame franchise because it was intended to debut as a videogame.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I already know that both Yugioh and Beyblade aren't eligible. As of now, Jibanyan (Yokai Watch) and Agumon (Digimon) are the only two 3rd party "monster collecting" primary reps that deserve to be playable. Suezo (Monster Rancher), Medabee (Medabots), Dragonoid (Bakugan), etc are all just to obscure.

And to clarify, yes, Bakugan is a videogame franchise. It was originally planned to debut as a vieogame. Here's one of my previous posts explaining more:
obscurity isnt the problem, it the fact that theyre not video games series

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Actually, Medabee or Suezo would be a great addition to Smash Ultimate, partly because my sister and I were introduced to them through the anime and we loved their sarcastic attitudes and in the case of Medabee, his independence. (My sister loves sentient robots.)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Obliviously Yugioh and Digimon. Though, I'm not too sure who I want from either franchise.
As mentioned earlier, Yugioh is ineligible for Smash. Digimon, Yo-Kai Watch, and TemTem, however, are eligible for Smash.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
As mentioned earlier, Yugioh is ineligible for Smash. Digimon, Yo-Kai Watch, and TemTem, however, are eligible for Smash.
I mean, it's a want thread so coming in just to say that kind of misses the point and gives me a free r/woosh but I'll use it elsewhere. Jokes aside, if this was meant to be realistic then I'd be saying the same thing but it's not.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
obscurity isnt the problem, it the fact that theyre not video games series
Actually, Monster Rancher, Bakugan and Medabots are all videogame franchises. I think you meant that Yugioh and Beyblade aren't videogame franchises. Bakugan used to be iconic during the Wii era, but it's now obscure since the mid-2010s. Due to being obscure, I want Suezo (Monster Rancher) to be an assist trophy, and Dragonoid (Bakugan) and Medabee (Medabots) to just be spirits.

I'm already aware of that, furthermore I think TemTem is too new to get any playable characters, and I've never heard of it until now.

Actually, Medabee or Suezo would be a great addition to Smash Ultimate, partly because my sister and I were introduced to them through the anime and we loved their sarcastic attitudes and in the case of Medabee, his independence. (My sister loves sentient robots.)
No offense, but I think you're acting like obscure 3rd party characters don't always deserve to be excluded.

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Seeing as Tem Tem is about to be released for the Switch in 2021 and it's taking a while for the Smash DLC to be released. It may be plausible that they might get into Smash Ultimate one day. Which Tem Tem creature would you like to see in Smash if it does happen RileyXY1 RileyXY1 ?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Seeing as Tem Tem is about to be released for the Switch in 2021 and it's taking a while for the Smash DLC to be released. It may be plausible that they might get into Smash Ultimate one day. Which Tem Tem creature would you like to see in Smash if it does happen RileyXY1 RileyXY1 ?
I have never played it and have little to no knowledge of the game.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I have never played it and have little to no knowledge of the game.
Okay that's cool, I'll be honest and say besides wanting to see characters from Digimon, SMT, Medabots, and Monster Rancher. The only other characters I wanna see from a monster collecting game is honestly more Pokemon. I loved playing as Chandulure in Pokken, it'd be neat to play as them in Smash Ultimate. :)

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Okay that's cool, I'll be honest and say besides wanting to see characters from Digimon, SMT, Medabots, and Monster Rancher. The only other characters I wanna see from a monster collecting game is honestly more Pokemon. I loved playing as Chandulure in Pokken, it'd be neat to play as them in Smash Ultimate. :)
While Bakugan is a videogame franchise, I've found some bakugan spirit battle ideas here:
Dragonoid
Bakugan series
Novice Class

Stage: Jungle Japes
Song: Ruins - Wario Land: The Shake Dimension
Opponent: a plumber Wario, Simon and Mega Man who self destruct, before you take on a tiny Jigglypuff who constantly uses Rollout at zero charge.
Spirit: Masquerade (Bakugan) (Ace)
Opponent: :ultmetaknight:(White), :ultridley:(Blue)
Spirit Info: Balanced Primary with 2 Slots
Stage: Spear Pillar
Music: I am Octavio
Rules: Defeat the Main Fighter To Win. Hostile Assist Trophies will appear (Nightmare)
Origin: To anyone unfamiliar, That Ridley is Hydranoid!
Spirit: The Castle Knights (Bakugan) (Legend)
Opponent: :ultshulk:(Orange), :ultvillager:(Blue), :ultlink:(Teal), :ultlittlemac:(Yellow), :ultzelda:(Blue), :ultganondorf:(Purple)
Spirit Info: Primary Balanced with 3 Slots
Stage: Yggdrasil's Altar Battlefield
Music: Mechanical Rhythm
Rules: Defeat an Army of Fighters. Shulk Starts the Battle with a Fire Bar. Link Starts the Battle with a Gust Bellows. The Only Items are Balls.
Origin: Left to Right: Dan, Marucho, Shun, Jake, Fabia, and Ren. What if @Dyllybirdy or @Wademan94 made Individual Spirits of those guys?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
You do know my Bakugan Spirit Battle was supposed to be a satire of the Treehouse reveal, right?
Sorry, I actually wasn't aware of that, but read this previous quote from me.
Bakugan is not only obscure nowadays, but it was originally planned to debut as a videogame. The Bakugan videogames were planned before the tabletop game and anime. While the anime and tabletop games were released first, they were soley used to promote the Bakugan videogames. So, thus Bakugan is a videogame franchise because it was intended to debut as a videogame.
So thus, Bakugan is eligible for Smash, although I don't think it deserves to have any playable characters.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was just thinking the other day it would awesome to see Digimon and Monster Rancher represented.

Agumon seems like the obvious choice for Digimon but it seems like Monster Rancher has two plausible candidates. Suezo and Mocchi. (It seems like Mocchi took over the mascot role from Suezo at one point) Personally I think I'd prefer Mocchi.

Yokai Watch, I wouldn't mind seeing get a rep, though I'd prefer to see a Digmon rep get in before it.

Seeing Pokemon and Digimon crossover and face off against each other would be really cool.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I was just thinking the other day it would awesome to see Digimon and Monster Rancher represented.

Agumon seems like the obvious choice for Digimon but it seems like Monster Rancher has two plausible candidates. Suezo and Mocchi. (It seems like Mocchi took over the mascot role from Suezo at one point) Personally I think I'd prefer Mocchi.

Yokai Watch, I wouldn't mind seeing get a rep, though I'd prefer to see a Digmon rep get in before it.

Seeing Pokemon and Digimon crossover and face off against each other would be really cool.
That would be amazing! We could have Pikachu, Jibanyan, and Agumon all battle together.

Last edited:
Top Bottom