• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What made you start playing Ganondorf?

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
I know we technically have an interview thread for this kind of thing, but I wanted to ask all of the Ganondorf players, what brought you to the 'Dorf?

I started playing Ganondorf after I saw a tier list for SSBB. I just couldn't believe that Ganondorf could be that bad. I started playing him for a while, and quickly stopped caring about his tier placement or his matchups or even any other character, for I had been introduced to the greatest character in fighting game history. Ever since then, the Dark Lord has reigned supreme in my play time.

Last edited:

thadd_fin

Your Residential Mongolian
NNID
Thadd_fin
3DS FC
4527-8856-2512
I was playing as Falcon as my secondary and was just getting wrecked so out of the blue I just ran a few games as Ganon and just really took a liking to him. I use Ganon and Toon Link as my mains and i love it because it keeps my playstyle from getting stale or hella predictable because they are two extremes, one is quick, don't really hit all that hard, and is projectile based while the other is NONE of those things. #DorfTillDeath

Yori12

Smash Rookie
NNID
lukie116
I play ganon occasionally because he is so much easier to play than my main sheik and Zsuit samus. So if I just need to unwind and wreck some noobs I play ganon.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
In Brawl, I used to play ~80% of the cast. Then, during free for alls, I saw how much fun a friend of mine was having playing Ganon, so I started playing him too. Eventually I fell in love with his playstyle and learned a bunch of his Brawl techs. And now I'm here.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
In Melee, I started playing Captain Falcon because of the B button, and I started playing Ganondorf upon noticing that his moves were very similar to Captain Falcon's.

I still play Ganondorf (and Captain Falcon) up to this day, because since I've already become very familiar with his moveset, why not?

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Because I like the character. Duh! I always tend to gravitate to the more villainous characters. :demon:

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
To be honest, I loved Brawl Ganondorf thematically and thought he was extremely fun in spite of all of his crippling balance flaws. Also generally speaking I'm a fan of very manly and powerful characters, such as Iron Tager from BlazBlue. I find hypermasculine power in a way very awe-inspiring. I also like very read based playstyles that embody grappler characters given I have terrible mechanical skill but a good memory for things related to game mechanics.

At first I told myself I would wait and see who was top tier and main a top tier in this game, but then I realized from watching amazing players like Gungnir, Ray_Kalm, and others that Ganondorf is in fact the most entertaining character in the game. There isn't anything quite like the highs and lows he experiences in this game.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
Back in Melee, I remember being so excited that Ganondorf was in the game. At first, his slowness was a turnoff, and I was pretty much all about Fox, but the more I got to training with Ganondorf, the more I liked him. I barely even remember it, but my brother tells me I used to play the **** out of Ganondorf when we played Melee, to the point that he knew I was a Ganon main the second Smash 4 came up. I'd talk about Brawl, but honestly, I never got into Brawl competitively. I barely even played it because tripping enraged me to an astonishing degree. The one thing I remember was that I was disappointed that you couldn't use Ganon in SSE until the very end.

I pretty much kreygasmed when I heard Ganon in Smash 4 had super armor on the warlock punch.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Because i felt KO'ing at 90% wasn't early enough.

WorstGanonWorld

Smash Cadet
NNID
EziPizi
You never need more then 10 hits to kill someone. The joy you feel when your SUPER strong attacks connect, so satisfying!

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Kalm's Brawl vids. They're also what got me interested in competitive Smash as a whole. It's also really nice knowing that you can come back from just about any deficit.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't know, I just picked him up and he eventually grew on me...that and I'm a Zelda fan. Made me realize that Ganondorf is the real villain around here, way better than Bowser.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Although I'm a staid casual who picks the random button more often than not, I always take great pleasure in getting to play Ganon.
Being able to finish matches in under a minute, as opposed to the 5 or 6 minutes it takes with characters like Wii Fit Trainer, and grinding his bottom tier boots into the face of my overwhelmed opponents is a sensation that other characters can't match (except for maybe little mac)

Also I love playing the villain

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Loved him in melee and project m and he was my favourite in brawl though his constipated old man run annoyed the crap out of me. In smash 4 i initially didn't play ganon much at all for the longest time but then he just kind of clicked when i tried him more(especially after trying custom moves) and kind of chose me in a way. i then found him to be he character i generally had the most fun playing with win or lose. It's also really nice being able to switch to him when i've gotten so sick of dealing out a a ton of hits with sheik and still struggle to get the kill when ganondorf can destroy a foe in just a few successful reads.

Last edited:

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
This is actually a story I always wanted to tell.

One day a little scrub who just started watching competitive smash bros was looking through VGs and Clash tournaments videos. He comes across two players Kage and Bizzaro flame. He never saw a ganondorf in competitive before so he deiced to watch it.

He was then amazed by the visual ecstasy that was the dorf. The power, the graces, the D-AIRS! It was a wonderful experience that changed how he viewed smash brothers. He knew what he had to play ganondorf after that. The only problem is that, at the time this little scrub was a brawl player. Most people would find it a foolish act playing a brawl character because of results of his melee counterpart. But, nothing could stop this scrubs ambitions.

He spent days and weeks mastering the bottom teired character. Watching guides and playing his friends.

fast forward to present day, the scrub has become a proud ganondorf main. Armed with wizard dropkick, rage mechanic, and super armor He is ready to show the world the power of Gerudo king.

jemuelv906

Smash Rookie
Many don't expect much from him (combo potential-wise) but his punishes are what allured me to his play style, that and my friends are scared of him.

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
He's freaking Ganondorf!

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Easy stuff to explain : I play Megaman. Yes, the Lemon shooter himself. I enjoy playing as him, but his killmoves are a bit too hard to use because they are way too unsafe (they all have horrible endlag), so I decided to go for a character with a bit more easy to use kill moves, and I fell on Ganondorf. At first, his slow, laggy moves were uneasy to get a good feeling with, but time taught me how fast this guy can kill. Now, he is one of my secondaries, waiting to Flame Choke unaware players :demon:

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
I like playing him even though he isn't my main, because he has a fairly simple playstyle that revolves heavily on reading your opponent. I think he helps improve that aspect of my play because to beat good players and faster charachters with Ganon you have to be on point with your predictions. Oh and his Down air is the most satisfying move in the game.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
I don't main Ganon, but I really enjoy using him in less serious matches.
Every one of his moves (even jab) hits freaking hard. His smashes are extremely potent, with Fsmash and Usmash especially satisfying to land. :D
His aerials are among the most powerful for their disproportionate power to speed. Only Ganondorf's own mobility restricts them. Uair, Nair, Dair, and Bair are like Captain Falcon's, though stronger, and Fair is a less risky but still very powerful finisher offstage. :D
Combined with Wizard Dropkick, flame choke, warlock blade, and a super armor boosted warlock punch, and you have one lean mean fighting machine. :D

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
He's my favourite Ninty villain, and I just love the feeling of raw power I get when playing as him. Pure intimidation, ultimate satisfaction.

Gameplay-wise, I like defensive characters that rely on good reads and punishment tactics. Playing 'Dorf helps me slow down and study my opponent, rather than rushing in recklessly; that, in turn, helps hone my skills with my other favourite characters.

PacBeast

Smash Rookie
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
4871-4293-8599
The fact that after hearing how Ganondorf was just a clone of Captain Falcon made me try both of them, but I chose Ganondorf because Falcon feels a little too fast imo, and Falcon's design is... uncomfortable. Ganondorf felt overall easier to use and I can hit his d-air spike easier.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I used him a lot in Melee, and though I do still do prefer his debut incarnation, something about Smash 4's 'Dorf is awfully fun. He just feels so powerful, like each landing hit feels really nice to connect. It helps that he's totally capable of KO'ing other characters at a relatively early percentage. Dair spikes FTW

Last edited:
NNID
Majorasmask66
Ganondorf is absolutely devastating. I really like powerhouse characters when playing fighting games. Ganondorf can kill people insanely quick and due to his heavy weight, he can survive alot of situations. So yea the big guys that can take alot of hits and destroy there foes. Ganondorf is the pinnacle of this. And his ganoncides are awesome. I've been down alot where I finally take a stock off an opponent but they still have a very large percent lead. So I get them to the edge and ganoncide them. His down air, forward tilt, up smash, fair, ect. are so awesome as well.

Last edited:

Pikachutobal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-8141-2794
My story begins in Melee ...
I used to be a newcomer from every point of view, I did not know any advanced technical or Tier List, a friend of mine showed me the competitive world of Melee, started to learn technique by technique, training every day ...
After months of practice, playing with the best characters (Marth, Fox, Sheik, etc), trying to find the ideal for me, but the characters based on speed and combos was not for me, I needed someone with great force ... and I met Ganondorf.

In Brawl I saw him fall to Ganon ... the worst character in the game
After watching the videos of Trifroze focused on Ganondorf, he revived my affection for ganondorf and I said "My king is no longer trash, he will regain his pride and I will show the world the power of Ganondorf"

Today I want to make a youtube channel with Videos focused on ganondorf, showing his best, as their best combos, predictions or Warlock Punches (I regret any errors in my english)

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
What made me start playing as Ganondorf?

Melee; he was my main back then. Then came Brawl and I stopped playing as him. Then came Smash 4 and I decided to use him in team battles and FFAs to backstab people and wreck ****. It's worked well so far.

riku2bendy

Smash Rookie
NNID
riku2bendy
3DS FC
4253-4680-8187
I never really liked Ganon in smash until this past summer. My friends and I were playing random free for all in brawl and I got Ganon 3 times in a row. Instead of complaining about getting "the worst character in the game" i decided to actually try to win. I ended up winning 2 of those games. I ended up putting in practice time with Ganon, since the smash gods clearly wanted me to play him. I went back to melee and forward to smash 4 and still love the character.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
SImply put, when you play really good as Ganon, it looks so overwhelming, flashy, and feels great.
Strong reads and mindgames really pays off with this character.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
There are so many reasons I play Ganondorf. I've been playing as him since Melee. When I first unlocked him I instantly gravitated towards his playstyle. When you quit being silly and ignore his slowness he is very easy to pick up and play, and after playing him for a while you discover he does have a few quick attacks at his disposal. Coupled with his overwhelming power, it makes him a very fierce fighter in casual matches. He's also got some pretty hilarious voice clips in Melee and the Warlock Punch and Volcano Kick are HYPE. Also, villainous characters are great.

Despite him apparently being one of the worst characters in Brawl, I tried to stick with him. But after Brawl it left me kind of bitter about him and the changes to his moveset, and I agreed with the Zelda fans demanding he get a new moveset. But shortly after Smash 3ds came out I tried out Ganondorf again and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the game's environment worked around Ganondorf better, and my love for this character was reinvigorated. Smash 4 got me so used to his changes that I can now even tolerate him in Brawl!

Playing Ganondorf feels absolutely great. Every single one of his attacks feels extremely satisfying to land there's something I really like about his read-based gameplay. The flame choke + customs are fantastic moves, and his customs for his other attacks are pretty damn good too. And like before, he is devastating in casual FFA matches. He is the best crowd clearer in the game and is fantastic for cleanup. And seeing Bizzarro Flame devastate all those stupid space animals in Melee makes me want to become even better at this character. And defending his moveset from haters makes me love this character even more.

Haters should be Warlock Punched IRL.

WaluigiWeegeeSteel

Smash Cadet
NNID
NewerLuigi
3DS FC
1934-0873-4422
Considering I main Falcon I like some power and Bizzaro Flame brand disrespect every once in awhile. Also I love Custom Ganon to death.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I was getting my butt handed to me a couple of times by a friend. I noticed I used lighter characters (ZSS) while he used Bowser. So out of the blue I chose Ganondorf and well...
Damn.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
Went on a character search through Smash 4, found I liked heavies the most. Ganon ended up being my favorite, so he's my secondary in 4/Melee/PM and primary for Brawl now.

Last edited:

Smash Ace
NNID
Marki243
3DS FC
4527-8978-8771
As a retort for disrespectful players, I become the King of Disrespect.

Top Bottom