• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What language should Marth speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Norweigien, I want to hear Marth speak the language of Dimmu Borgir! :awesome:

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
Canonically, Altean. Practically, Japanese.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm still preferring Japanese due the series' roots and Marth mostly being Japan-only in means of his games (Look at dat FE12). English voice actor might have to really sit down on him so he keeps his character while still feeling translated the same.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'd be okay with English, though the option to choose between it and Japanese would be the best route overall.

Also, I wonder if people who don't know exactly know who Marth will think of him as cocky or even narcissistic based on what he says now that they'd be able to understand him.

For example, one of his victory pose lines is, "There's no way I can lose!"
And his down taunt has him say, "Everyone, look at me!"

Just a curious thought.

Last edited:

NonSequtur

Smash Cadet
I think that you can translate them better, to get his character across. For instance, change 'at' to 'to' and change the intonation in the down taunt, and it becomes a general about to show the way. Not to mention, a victory pose should be kind of cocky.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Personally, I would love for Marth to keep speaking Japanese, but English is ok as long as they get the right guy to voice him.

Or they could do what they did with Pokémon X and Y (grant you the option to play in different languages, although not permanently, like X and Y the 3DS can handle that, and I'm sure the Wii U can too.)

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I can dig him speaking Japanese, I didn't like how Ike in Brawl was like one of the Jappanese guys from Godzilla where they are translated to English, but their lips move out of sinc with the words, I hate it.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm not at all a fan of his English voice in the things we've seen him, so... unless they bring in a new guy, gimme Japanese again please.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I'd much prefer him speaking Japanese, since we've gotten used to his voice for two games now.
I'd be okay with English, though the option to choose between it and Japanese would be the best route overall.

Also, I wonder if people who don't know exactly know who Marth will think of him as cocky or even narcissistic based on what he says now that they'd be able to understand him.

For example, one of his victory pose lines is, "There's no way I can lose!"
And his down taunt has him say, "Everyone, look at me!"

Just a curious thought.
His victory line is actually more along the lines of "I can't afford to lose!".
訳には行かない differs from 訳がない, the latter actually meaning "Cannot" instead of "Cannot afford to".

Moreover, in his down taunt, he uses くれ which, while not being a very formal/polite way of speaking, still makes his sentence into more of a plea than an order.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Prefer to keep it Japanese, mainly because I fear the English voice actor will suck.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Doesn't really matter, but doesn't need to happen.

You don't see people arguing for an English Pikachu or Japanese Peach, now do you?

Ultear

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ultear
I would prefer japanese but english would be fine with an good voice actor

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Yeah I'm not opposed to the idea of an English Marth on principle or anything, I just don't like the guy that's voiced him so far.

NameChange

Banned via Warnings
Marth should speak doge

WOW
SUCH ME
MUCH LOOK

But in all seriousness, I want Marth to have an english voice actor, but only if it's a good one, preferably a veteran.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Marth should speak doge

WOW
SUCH ME
MUCH LOOK

But in all seriousness, I want Marth to have an english voice actor, but only if it's a good one, preferably a veteran.
A great voice actor would make me main him even harder. Maybe we'll find out tomorrow? Doubtful but who knows.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'd be fine with Marth speaking English if they Westernize his lines a bit ("Everyone, look at me" comes across as narcissistic in English) and if Takamaru takes on the Japanese-speaking role.

eleanorvonclere

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2398-9953
Yes it would. No offense, but Pit kinda looks like a kid, while Marth doesn't '-'

I'd like him to speak in English, as long as he sounds like in FE13 (the voices were incredibly great) and he's voiced by a guy.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Considering Nintendo's recent track record involving English voices, I'm confident that they could find a suitable VA for Marth. It'd be even funnier if they got Spike Spencer to do it since he voiced him in the English OVA apparently.

Of course, his Japanese voice is still suitable regardless. I am neutral in this matter.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I'll come right out and say it, I strongly desire Marth to get an english VA.
See, I'm bit of an oddball when it comes to anime. I prefer watching the dubs over the subs.
I just can't enjoy something if I can't understand it. I don't like watching subs because even though it's translated, that usually puts my attention to the subs, and not the actual action.

I prefer the english dub of Kirby, and Pokemon, and other anime I watch, because they are usually censored and usually understandable to me.
I can't put my two cents in on the whole "tradition" thing, but I feel Marth should get an english voice plus the language options mentioned before.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
You like it because it's censored?
Is that a thing? How is that even possible?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
^Your theory falls apart when "localization" doesn't separate Spain, Mexico, Argentina and the lest of Latin America.
Actually, no, that doesn't affect my theory in the least.

Nintendo's localization being crap for Latin America isn't an excuse to be lazy with Marth. If all of the other characters in the game are speaking English (even Ike, his modern FE counterpart), Marth should be as well, period.

Maikou

Smash Ace
You like it because it's censored?
Is that a thing? How is that even possible?
Yes, I like it because it's censored. it IS possible, though I doubt it's a thing since everybody I meet online (and elsewhere) think otherwise -_-
I don't like seeing blood and gore, and I SERIOUSLY don't need to see an undressed female. I like the censoring because then I don't have to worry about such things. (usually anyway). though I don't get certain censoring, such as changing a characters skin color from jet black to blue or purple -.-
of course, this causes me to get annoyed by people who hate on 4Kids for censoring, EVEN THOUGH IT'S THEIR FREAKING JOB.
seriously, how many people are so blind and deaf that they can't care to notice 4 KIDS in the name? seriously......
unlike most of the male gender above the age of 12, I don't want to see a female's.....specific attributes. Personally I can't stand overuse of cusswords as well....

anyway, on Marth's English voice, like I said, full english and multi-language option supported in full by me :)
honestly I don't get the whole "tradition" thing, since it's only been two games since Marth debuted in Smash (not including Sm4sh since it's still in development), but as I said before I won't get involved with that, knowing nearly nothing of the subject (in this case that is).

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Actually, no, that doesn't affect my theory in the least.

Nintendo's localization being crap for Latin America isn't an excuse to be lazy with Marth. If all of the other characters in the game are speaking English (even Ike, his modern FE counterpart), Marth should be as well, period.
"My opinion on something that is of subjective nature" + ", period." (implicating your opinion is absolute) comes off as being an ass.

I, nor anyone else on the internet appreciates this. You won't get anywhere positive with that, especially on the Marth boards.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
"My opinion on something that is of subjective nature" + ", period." (implicating your opinion is absolute) comes off as being an ***.

I, nor anyone else on the internet appreciates this. You won't get anywhere positive with that, especially on the Marth boards.
um, can I ask to whom that might be addressed please?

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
4kids gets hate because it tries to bring anime to a public it isn't made for. But this isn't the anime board, so whatever. Nice triple post.

Maikou

Smash Ace
4kids gets hate because it tries to bring anime to a public it isn't made for. But this isn't the anime board, so whatever. Nice triple post.
Pokemon and Kirby, as well as a few others, are very much child-oriented shows. all 4kids does is make them more suitable to a 12 or younger aged audience. but agreed, this isn't the anime board, we're here to talk about Marth's voice.

I'm sure that Nintendo could easily find an english speaker who could fit Marth at least decently well. Seriously, Nintendo hires great VA's, just check out Kid Icarus: Uprising if you don't believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom