• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What language should Marth speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For Brawl and Melee, Marth was a Japan only character (barring smash itself). Because of this, he only spoke Japanese.

Marth is now an international character with Fire Emblem games localized for all major languages.

Should he still only speak Japanese?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I think he should still speak Japanese only for the sake of tradition. It's not overly important, but I would be a tad bit sad if he spoke in English.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
For tradition I'd say he should keep speaking Japanese.

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of him speaking English though.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I think he should still speak Japanese only for the sake of tradition. It's not overly important, but I would be a tad bit sad if he spoke in English.

I agree. For one thing, it's the only way us westerners REALLY know him. I mean, even if you played the Shadow Dragons remake, way more of us know exclusively from Smash. Also, it's just kind of cool.

7dogguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2466-2487-7066
japanese hed sound so bad in english O.o

§leepy God

Smash Master
As long as his English voice actor is on the same tier as Chrom's I wouldn't mind. But most likely they will stick with his Japanese voice.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't be opposed to an English speaking Marth honestly. Japanese is fine, but the dude is called MarTH for Christ's sake. I wouldn't be weirded out by English Marth at all.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I like having him speak Japanese. The first time I encountered him in melee he was speaking Japanese. He's special that way.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind either way. But I prefer Japanese for the sake of tradition.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
You guys know that tradition was only because a game starting him was never released back then. You know NoA is going to break that tradition eventually.

Besides, I think many people would like to understand what the european swordsman is saying.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Japanese Marth please, there's just a certain charm to having a character who only speaks Japanese. I'd never get used to him speaking English in Smash, it'd be like taking off his head or taking away his tipper.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
You guys know that tradition was only because a game starting him was never released back then. You know NoA is going to break that tradition eventually.

Besides, I think many people would like to understand what the european swordsman is saying.

''Everyone, look at me''

D

Deleted member

To be honest, Japanese. It would be hard for me to imagine Marth speaking in English.
That and I want him to keep his down taunt.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I think it's time he gets an English interation. I mean the original reasoning isn't there anymore. Still I believe there should be a option to change characters voices. I mean why not, it would make everyone happy.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
He should speak Japanese because hearing him say "Everyone, look at me!" in English isn't the same.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
It could be cool to have a option, to switch the voices like in Awakening, and in many amounts of other games. People who want the nostalgia would pick Japanese, and the people who finally wants to learn what the **** he is saying English. Such a great compromise.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
How about every time he speaks Japanese you'll see subtitles in English? Problem solved lulz

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Considering that Marth is an international character now, implementing the English language onto him isn't that farfetched anymore. But maybe the Japanese language can be implemented during the process, much like with in Melee.

English: There's no way I can lose!
Japanese: 私が負けることができる方法がありません!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ironically, Marth has been speaking in English before Fire Emblem was even heavily exposed in western territories from Super Smash Bros. via the obscure Fire Emblem OVA released back in 1997.

>Based upon the Hit Video Game!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well...Marth's design is based on a Japan only game. It only would make sense for him to speak Japanese.
Except his game is no longer Japan only. Shadow Dragon was localized.

Also, what Xenoblaze posted. The anime was dubbed in English and NoA could hire the same voice actor or something. In fact, his Japanese VA in Smash is the same as the anime.
LOL at the caption stating "Based on the hit video game!"... It's definitely ironic.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Except his game is no longer Japan only. Shadow Dragon was localized.

Also, what Xenoblaze posted. The anime was dubbed in English and NoA could hire the same voice actor or something. In fact, his Japanese VA in Smash is the same as the anime.
LOL at the caption stating "Based on the hit video game!"... It's definitely ironic.

His design isn't from Shadow Dragon it's from Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem, Heroes of Light and Shadow.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
His design isn't from Shadow Dragon it's from Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem, Heroes of Light and Shadow.
His design may be from New Mystery, but my point still stands: he's appeared in a Fire Emblem game released outside of Japan.

Regarding Lucas, it's very ironic: Lucas is from a Japan-only game and is voiced by an American voice actress. Ness had his game released in Japan and USA before the Virtual Console release of EarthBound and is voiced by a Japanese voice actress (who also voices Kirby).

Azule07

Smash Cadet
His design is from the Japanese games, not the American games. (It's based on King Marth from Mystery/New Mystery, which were never localized). So Japanese. Plus tradition.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind English. I'd like to know what hes saying.

With shadow dragon's release internationally, its by all means warranted.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I'm hoping that there's some middle ground and you can switch his voices, kind of like with the Capcom characters in Marvel vs. Capcom 3. But if Marth does speak English, they should get Spike Spencer to voice him again. He actually voiced Excellus in Awakening, so Nintendo's still in touch with him.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Oh boy. I wlant him to spreak engrish prease.

. . . He should be voice acted by John Patrick Lowrie: What began as a typo escalated into a sentence which has decimated a million screens.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't really care either way. What would be nice is for him to have both, but have an option in the game to switch between English and Japanese voices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom