• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What language should Marth speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148
I wouldn't mind either way, but now that a Marth game was brought overseas it might make sense if he had an English voice. -shrugs-

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I feel Marth would stick out like a sore thumb if he speaks Japanese again (it's not a bad thing at all, I'm just saying).

It would be interesting to see an English voice to a character but I can see why people oppose it. Why can't we just have the language select option like in Melee?

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
I feel Marth would stick out like a sore thumb if he speaks Japanese again (it's not a bad thing at all, I'm just saying).

It would be interesting to see an English voice to a character but I can see why people oppose it. Why can't we just have the language select option like in Melee?
japan doesn't want us to that's why ):
it would NOT be interesting ):<

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
As much as I like his Japanese voice, it would be sad if he didn't speak English, especially with him having a few games out in the West.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I want him to keep his Japanese voice just for that badass taunt: "Minna, miteite kure!" It would sound weird if he just says "Everybody, please watch me!"

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I don't mind an English voice over, however I'd prefer he keep speaking Japanese as "odd" as it may seem with the rest of the English-speaking FE characters.

KirbyOnly

Smash Rookie
I would prefer Japanese. His taunts don't sound as cool in English: "Everyone, please watch me!". I can't even imagine him saying that.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
The reason Marth didn't have an English voice was because his games weren't released outside Japan right? Shadow Dragom came out 4 years ago, nothing stopping them now
he didn't have a voice in that game though. so really, i don't think that changes anything.
and the game was released 4 years ago, marth was also in awakening but again, didn't have a voice.
he hasn't had a voice in any of the NA games, outside of hikaru midorikawa in smash.
i really hope he speaks japanese :,(

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
he didn't have a voice in that game though. so really, i don't think that changes anything.
and the game was released 4 years ago, marth was also in awakening but again, didn't have a voice.
he hasn't had a voice in any of the NA games, outside of hikaru midorikawa in smash.
i really hope he speaks japanese :,(
Its not that he had a voice in those games i dont know why your hung up on that part, its that he was in a FE game outside of japan now. Sakurai said at one point in the past that he chose to have him keep his japanese voice since he hadnt had any releases outside of japan at that point in time. Now thats no longer the case

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
Its not that he had a voice in those games i dont know why your hung up on that part, its that he was in a FE game outside of japan now. Sakurai said at one point in the past that he chose to have him keep his japanese voice since he hadnt had any releases outside of japan at that point in time. Now thats no longer the case
idontwanthimtospeakenglish! >8?(

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Mostly because a lot of Fire Emblem fans would rather forget that Shadow Dragon exists.

I guess he was released as DLC in Awakening, but it's still not the same.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
idontwanthimtospeakenglish! >8?(
Well you still might get your wish, sakurai is a creature of habit so its definitely possible he may stick with his japanese one. That all depends on the localization team too.
Mostly because a lot of Fire Emblem fans would rather forget that Shadow Dragon exists.
Most of the metroid fans want to forget other m, but that didnt stop it from getting into this game. It really all depends on if sakurai sticks to his tradition for traditions sake in this instance.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
It seems Robin's voice actor, David Vincent, is good friends with Spike Spencer. A happy coincidence, huh? :p

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
It seems Robin's voice actor, David Vincent, is good friends with Spike Spencer. A happy coincidence, huh? :p
no, NO, It's a conspiracy! NOOOOOOOOO
i'm prepared now...20XX...marth speaks english. lucina please come change this future, PLEASE! ),:>

Maikou

Smash Ace
no, NO, It's a conspiracy! NOOOOOOOOO
i'm prepared now...20XX...marth speaks english. lucina please come change this future, PLEASE! ),:>
You are seriously overeacting. Just because an anime dub isn't the best around doesn't mean the VA themself sucks. Maybe it was just cruddy directing. Either way Spike Spencer certainly sounds like an English Marth voice to me, and considering Kid Icarus Uprising and Fire Emblem Awakening, I'm pretty sure Sakurai will make the guy do his best impressions of Marth's lines. And if they sound too ridiculous in English, THEY CAN BE CHANGED FOR THE DUB. Dubs almost NEVER use the exact same lines just translated: they usually use different phrasings to make it make sense in English. "Everyone, please look at me!" can easily be changed to something like, "My comrades, watch over me!" or in the more "true to the original" fashion, "Everyone, please watch over me!" plus, I'm no expert on voice acting and really don't care. I don't find people's natural voices grating at all. Even if the performance sucks, I'll just be glad to finaly understand what the heck Marth's saying in verbal format, rather than being told the translation.

Huh? why do people want to forget about Shadow Dragon? (I haven't really played the game besides the Prologues and the first chapter)

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
Huh? why do people want to forget about Shadow Dragon? (I haven't really played the game besides the Prologues and the first chapter)
Meh, let's just say it was not the best Fire Emblem. It was not terrible though, so I don't get why people would want to forget about it anyway.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
I think he should receive an English voice since Shadow Dragon was released internationally.
But...he probably wont.
that's good 8 )

maikou i'm just being silly, chill. i know how localization works, of course spike won't say direct translations in english. i just like marth's japanese voice A LOT more. and i think japanese is the coolest language ever. and hikaru is a badass.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It was the worst Fire Emblem game released over here. There is a lot of stuff leftover from the original (it is a remake, after all) that they refined a lot in the later games. The new mechanics they added, such as class switching, were executed horribly.

It's also the worst looking game we've gotten, by far. The visuals are just BAD.

Maikou

Smash Ace
that's good 8 )

maikou i'm just being silly, chill. i know how localization works, of course spike won't say direct translations in english. i just like marth's japanese voice A LOT more. and i think japanese is the coolest language ever. and hikaru is a badass.
I also rather like Marth's japanese voice, but that might just because Japanese is an interesting language. Even so, there's a reason I prefer dubs besides visual censoring.

A lot of people will probably hate me for saying this, but........
IlikeMetaKnight'sHispanicAccentinKirbyRightBackAtyaPleaseDon'tFlameI'llAccidentallykillyouwithWhirlpool

ThoughHisBrawlVoiceisCooltooIprefertheAccent

Plus anyway I kinda meant that remark for everyone. I just don't like when people act like that over such a simple thing as dubbing. I also don't get the hate over certain censors, such as censoring nudity and blood. Though this isn't the place to talk about that.

Maybe I'm just biased from watching the 4Kids versions of the Pokemon anime, Sonic X, Kirby Right At Ya, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003), but I really want to hear a dubbed Marth in Smash. I doubt Sakurai would let a VA screw up the dubbing of a character like Marth.
It was the worst Fire Emblem game released over here. There is a lot of stuff leftover from the original (it is a remake, after all) that they refined a lot in the later games. The new mechanics they added, such as class switching, were executed horribly.

It's also the worst looking game we've gotten, by far. The visuals are just BAD.
Well, I don't really care how a game looks on a technical level. I take Art STYLE over "realistic" any day. I seriously don't get people who complain about graphics......Heck, I think 8-bit still looks good in modern times. Guess I'm just not your average teenager, huh?

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Well, I don't really care how a game looks on a technical level. I take Art STYLE over "realistic" any day. I seriously don't get people who complain about graphics......Heck, I think 8-bit still looks good in modern times. Guess I'm just not your average teenager, huh?
I prefer art style to graphics as well.

That's why I take this:

Over this:

It's not about graphical fidelity. It's about the game just looking awful (sorry, I couldn't find any gifs of Shadow Dragon, but trust me, it's even worse in motion).

Maikou

Smash Ace

That's why I take this:

Over this:

It's not about graphical fidelity. It's about the game just looking awful (sorry, I couldn't find any gifs of Shadow Dragon, but trust me, it's even worse in motion).
Oh....yeah, guess I never really bothered to pay much attention there. Sometimes I just ignore the graphics in general. Pretty much the only way I can enjoy Super Smash Bros Brawl is if I ignore the depressing "realistic" graphics. Who's idea was it to give a game with cartoony physics a realistic look anyhow?!

But I suppose we should stop this now before we fly off into a full-blown conversation. If you want to continue this conversation, please Private Message me.

Sorry for getting off-topic, everyone.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146

That's why I take this:

Over this:

lol they don't even have eyes

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Well, Marth's voice clips seem to have been recycled in the Japanese version. Now we just have to wait what he speaks in the English version.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
Well, Marth's voice clips seem to have been recycled in the Japanese version. Now we just have to wait what he speaks in the English version.
it will be the same, it must!
or language select please nintendo, AGGHH

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom