• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Kirby Do You Have?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
To most non-Kirby users, all Kirbys probably look the same. They're small, pink, and run around saying "Hi-aiii-ai!" a lot. But to us Kirby players we know there's more to our puffball pal than just that. So my question to all of you is how, in general, do you like to play your Kirby?

There are all kinds of places to focus your fighting style. Some people like to ledge-camp, others rush in to fight, perhaps you have a penchant for F-air, or maybe you're always going for a Kirbycide.

Also, do you find that your playstyle does well/bad against certain characters? Do you ever find that you have to play differently against any given character because of how they fight? Is there a particular combo you like to do, or a certain move that you find effective or spamable? What color Kirby do you like to use, and how often do you use Kirby's taunt?

Feel free to answer all of the questions above or add additional answers to describe your Kirby. I'll post my Kirby later since this post has already seemed to become longer than I expected.

rezz

Smash Journeyman
well i think i play a kirbycide player i love when i have 2 stocks and he has 1 and i take him down with me lol :)

the iron peach

Smash Apprentice
I play a blue kirby named Bob (don't ask), and I use his aerials the most (uair and bair the most). I tend to be very aggressive, with a lot of throws and dash attacks used. I don't tend to do suicide throws, although i do love them, and I'm quite the terrible edgeguarder. However, I'm getting better, since i decided to reduce "peach time" to practice with kirby. My biggest rival? A certain evil red kirby named Steve (again, don't ask).

Sudai

Stuff here
I like the Mime Kirby~

Not an avid Kirby player by any means, but I do like to be the one getting edge guarded against. Suck up an edgeguarder and they generally pop out right at the bottom of the screen. ^^

ScorchD

Smash Cadet
I use Green kirby, since it sometimes camo's with the trees in Dreamland or the floor of pokemon stadium . The style of Kirby you play is dependant on the opponent, when against a fast faller charging with a reverse aerial hammer seems to surprise them. I don't use suicide throws, but I usually try to shallow suicide against characters with decent copy moves like falco or samus, since if the suicide fails than a free move is in my arsenal. Against the floatier characters, I just charge with aerials.

Liveit_

Smash Apprentice
im the type of Kirby which when the match starts, my only aim is to get the opponent in a position where I have the advantage : off the sides of the stage. This way I make the most of Kirby's awesome edgeguarding abilities, and if they're on their last stock, ill usually try a Kirbycide, just for fun :D.

I play with the mime Kirby, btw. :)

DeathscytheHello

Smash Journeyman
Defense is my game. Kirby's huge shield (in body ratio) makes it perfect, and his grab is the most over-extended. I say that because although Marth and Roy have longer grabs, they have some sort of arm to get somewhere close to that distance. Anyway, his dodge is quick, his wavedash gets the job done, and by merely hitting down, a Kirby can confound many decent players.

I play well everywhere on the field, whether it be edge-games, aerial tactics, or ground defense. I swallowcide very well, more often than not surviving the three-framers. Once I actually survived a one-framer. :chuckle: However, that probably won't happen again.

I copy if I feel like it, which is rare. I use the aerial hammer often, and the Final Cutter is a great weapon in my book. I use every move willingly save the dash- I never plan to use that, although it does come out on occasion. I'll even use the rock if there's no other way/I'm feeling stupid. My favorite connecting move is the ground-hammer; not because I think it's good (it sucks) but it's fun to kill with something that slow.

I play the natural Kirby- I see no need to change color. Plus, what's worse, losing to a low-tier thing that says, "Hiii!" or losing to a pink low-tier thing that says, "Hiii!"

Zenith

Smash Ace
Fair spammer.

I play a green Kirby (because nobody else does) the fair is almost the only aerial I do besides uair.

I never play on FD, only small stages (battlefield, FOD, yoshi's story) because for some reason I own those stages. Shield grabbing is my best friend. When it comes to recovery I never use the Final Cutter anywhere except bellow the edge.

I wish I could explain this with a vid but I don't have a capture device yet (will have one within a month).

So t!MmY where's your explanation.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
My game is essentially one big mindgame. I make it look like i'm playing defensively, but i'm actually putting on offense. Wavedash's backwards and crouching until i get in, so it loks like i'm moving backwards, but i'm progressing.

I'm huge on aerials. Bair, u-airs. U-tlt Combo's and tilts in general. Also, i like the Hammer and the Cutter, and will work them in periodically.

As Deathscythehello mentioned, Kirby's large shield helps him out a lot. It helps offput my aggresive nature, and helps me cover my mistakes allowing a longer period of cover until i can safely roll/sidestep and continue my onslaught.

Dr.Peabody

Smash Journeyman
It is an act of crualty to make kirby any other color than pink. i mean think about it... u wouldnt want some weirdo changing ur skin color to like yellow or green or somethin. and if u go around in black and white people asume ur a mime or a ghost or some person going to a wedding. if i hear one more person changing kirby's color im gonna go complain to those nature people.

now for me, i play similary to nitro. i tend to spam the "Fence of Pain" a bit though. -.-" alot of passive agresive mind games. for example.... ill just jab them or somethin the dart off to the other side of the level (kirby just looks sooo cute runnin like that), then when they follow ill do a full jump to a bair or somoethin, and if i miss lcancel to role away to dart back off to the other side again.

again lots of bairs for me... ill be l cancel utilt to another bair(s).

for me a shffled nair works good for getting them off balance. ive also found SOME use for the dash, it has a wierd priority/type of thing :\

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I play a very tricky Kirby with lots of rolls and slides so it looks like I'm dancing around my opponent. Whenever the other player leaves himself open, I'll go in for an attack which is usually a F-tilt or D-tilt. On the offensive I favor D-airs because I'm usually up close, but I'll go with F-airs if I'm further out to help close the distance. I'm also big on crouching because it's always funny to see attacks go right over Kirby's head.

I don't actively try to get Kirbycides, but, instead, I'll often position myself where a Kirbycide is more likely to work and if the opponent doesn't stay on his toes I won't hesitate to take him over the ledge. I've practiced extensively at jumping out of a Swallowcides, so I have no fear in dropping over the ledge with someone in my mouth. I've Swallowcided so much on Final Destination that most of the time I only have to tap the Jump button once to avoid a Self-Destruct. I don't mean against large characters, but against the harder ones that you see more often in tournaments, such as Marth. Most of my friends have lots of Kirby-fighting practice, so I have to be very quick and precise with any Kirbycides I go for.

My favorite combo is probably a D-air into a Tilt. It sort of stuns with the drill and is easy to L-cancel into a Tilt wich will help knock an opponent over to the ledge. I tend to play a lot of ledge games with people and love reversing the position by knocking the opponent off the ledge and having him suddenly have to deal with an Edge Guarding Kirby.

My Kirby = pink

Runt

Smash Journeyman
I like the combo with Kirby wen u d-throw into like 4 u-tilts and then an up smash which normally u get out on fastfallers. Pretty much any combo with Kirby that looks nice. I used to only pick the pink kirby but after seeing The Kirby Cheat I also started to use white kirby. I eventually got to use the color Kirby that I felt like. I taunt as much as possible so my opponent gets mad and they come 4 me and i dont have to go for them. I find that playing offensively works well on all characters. (at least the ones I face)

Dio_Setera

Smash Cadet
I play Kirby as annoying as I can.

I will always run in and make a few quick attacks, then flee, and wait for them. I Kirbycide at every opertunity. I taunt often, 4 or five when they die, and maybe a few when they are far enough away, just to mess with them. I perfer fighting the slower characters, the fast one make me too frantic and I start mashing.

It's fun to spam an L Cancelled Final Cutter, and watch people run into it.

I like the Blue Kirby, he looks so cool. Or Pink. Yellow Kirby looks soooo bad.

Impp

Smash Ace
I use the yellow Kirby. The character I fought the most was Link. My friend will fling alot of crap at me, forcing me to go on the attack. My play style is all about hovering right around the ground in floaty mode, just outside the range of his sword. I'll strike an attack when he commits to a move too soon. I have to bate him though, and really push it right to that fine line where he thinks he can hit me, but I know he can't. He's an experienced Kirby fighter, so that line is really thin. I usually strike with a B-air. I do a similiar thing when I fight my other friend when he's Marth. Fighting other characters w/ Kirby for me is all about bating the other to attack an attack I know I can counter mixed up with sudden all out agressiveness (alot of f-tilts). I don't really use Kirbycides. I'm gonna try to get good at them for tournament play, though.

Cross-Blade

Smash Cadet
I'll use any color Kirby, although I tend to use the, "real" (pink) Kirby the most.

I play a very aggresive Kirby in a serious match. I tend to confuse my opponents, doing a lot of random movements, but always stay on the offensive. I'm always moving, and if I'm not moving, I'm attacking. I play better towards the ledge, so having Kirby as a pro-ledge player works nicely for me.

Saffron

Smash Apprentice
I use the Red Kirby, or Fire Kirby as I call him. I like to rush-down my opponent. Not giving him anytime to recover. Mostly I try to force them of the edge by doing this. And then I finish it of with a d-air or b-air.
I don't kirbycide that often. I use that as a surprise attack.

Kittyhawk

Smash Rookie
I use green kirby

I seem to play according to the beginning of the match, lemmie explain

At the very beginning of the match i dont waste any time in attacking, however if i get knocked off the stage within the first twenty seconds ill play defensively, during this i sidestep, and roll fodge i dont really run away for ive noticed that if you really focus on dodging then you can dodge anything without getting touched. After i do this for about 10-20 seconds i have noticed some of their flaws. I usually then go back on the offensive, uusually with a down grab followed by whatever i think fits the situation.

From there i pretty much go on instinct

Nashun

Smash Ace
I always use the original pink kirby and I really to play a little more offensively than some of the posters here say they are. I like approaching with fair but if I'm playing against a character with priority I really like fulljumping double bairs. If they get the point and try to get me between bairs or in the weak point of the move (near the end) i'll mix in some shffl'd bairs and full-jumped bairs, only single (and a 2nd jumped bair once in a while as well). I don't really use the AH much.

I like crouch-cancelling a lot, but i downtilt much more than i downsmash when i CCC. downsmash is usually for edgeguarding and getting in a decent hit after i follow some kind of tech (it also gives me some leeway if i predict the tech incorrectly).

shieldgrabbing is my friend, if i'm not crouching i'm shielding and a lot of characters cant grab kirby while he's crouching.

i kirbycide if i'm ahead unless its with swallow, and i'll never hesitate to swallow if i know i have a good chance of pulling it off (if a character keeps on getting too close to me when he's trying to edgeguard or if he stays too close to the edge while im off of the stage).

i'll use downthrow for almost anything against floaties with sex kicks and i almost never use forward throw. if i'm fighting a floaty with a sexkick i'll more often than not use upthrow and for positioning reasons only i'll use backthrow.

i think nairs suck and i use final cutter occasionally if i need to get on the ground or on a ledge fast.

someone mentioned dairing into a tilt, but i prefer dairing into a grab. you can follow tech with a grab and downsmash. of course, it's not as guaranteed as a tilt but a tilt is weaker and it doesnt look as impressive as a dair>grab>dsmash.

LtFoeHammer

Smash Apprentice
I play as old-school White Kirby.

I play a mostly aerial game, jumping under platforms and spamming u-air. I'm not a great spiker or edgeguarder, but I'm working on it. I love and abuse the Kirbycide, and I can suicide-cancel Bowser every time. I generally hang back a lot, especially on their last life when I camp the edge and wait for them to come to me. Taunting a lot is fun, especially with the volume up because they get pissed off at the sound and attack me. Dodging is good. Dodge into a grab, d-throw to u-tilt, then (attempt) short hop into a u-air.

I hate/fear fighting swordsmen, but I've learned that Kirby's ground hammer has a LONGER REACH then Link's up-b, so if you position yourself just outside of it you can hit them with one of Kirby's worst moves. :D

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
Annoying the opponent (without kirbyciding etc.) is what I do! Aerial attacks and dodging are great!

sonictits

Smash Rookie
i play a yellow kirby and i just run around and hit them if they come to close and hope that they run of the edge

it works to much

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I play as the Pink Kirby.

For Offensive play, I tend to stick in the air and use fair and bair alot, and will SHFFL dair to a dthrow (which I love very much).

For defensive, I tend to duck alot and wavedash backward. Sheild grabbing is the main attack I use, and I tend to abuse d-tilt and f-tilt when running away.

I'll only Kirbycide if I'm winning by at least two stock, but sometimes I'll do it just for fun.

Also, I tend to use Stone when I'm juggled.

taotapp

Smash Rookie
I've only been playing as Kirby for about two weeks (right after reading from this message board), but I've already decided that I like to use his offensive attacks (mostly the aerial ones, with an occasional final cutter while hanging off the edge, or his neutral A; I love his repeated punch attack) and sometimes I'll pull a "kirbycide" if my opponent manages to end up with more stock than I have.

I can't stand Samus. Every time I play against her I almost always die before finishing her last stock. Every time I play against her (which happens a lot, since I like to play in tournament mode, with a random level setting, and she ALWAYS ends up at level 9) I just kirbycide, run up and punch, and then run away. Maybe it's just because of my kirby noob-ness, though.

I use his taunt enough to drive my friends mad. Then when they get close I use Kirby's sucking ability and they run away. Then I taunt some more... good times, good times...

2ndchance

Smash Journeyman
Hmm. I use a airialB spammer with ledge camp mixed into it

Bad matchupes
Ditto fights
Fox
Marth

Good matchups
Shiek

and everone else is normal
Color:pink/Green

Tant : every time I am a good distance away from the opponent

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I tend to swallow my enemies and repeadetly spit them out to edge gaurd.i use a pink Kirby named
you ******** son of a ***** and I tend to piss my enemy ff with suicides.OH YEAH!

Collif

Smash Rookie
I'm a very defensive, edge-happy Kirby.I'll be waiting on the edge while ducking, watching my enemy think how to approach me. They generally make the wrong move, I find. If my edge-happy nature fails me I revert to a very slow damage building tactic where I get hit very little and poke when I can. eventually I get them to a percentage where a b-air or u-air will put them t oan easy edge-guarded position.

I just love the edge.

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
When kirby steals the Sword power from Marth (or Roy) he becomes virtually the best edge defender.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
well, i play a pink kirby named fer%. i like to spam the final cutter just becauseit releases a projectile and its good to keep enemies at a distance at times. i spam the taunts a lot to irritate which works and I love to dair a lot with my shffling. I tend to walk around instead of running, it seems to work well at confusing my opponets because im not using evasion all of the time. i slide but prefer to triangle jump to get close but most of the time as I said i walk up to them and when they attack I use a ftilt.i like to cc aswell and i like to use the uair to send my enemies off the screen.

Runt

Smash Journeyman
Im not going to lie. I hate to swallowcide. I just sometimes find it funny to get your friends annoyed, but i think that if kirby swallowcides its pretty much just saying that its his only hope of winning. Yea ill do it if i have to, but then it dosent feel like a real win. You might see me doing it at times though.

Before i think i said i play an offensive kirby. Well now my Kirby is way too offensive and i actually have to calm down sometimes so im working on being more defensive.

DeathscytheHello

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't feel like a real win?! You're Kirby! That's his trademark move! Sure, they made it into something else, but that's one of the reasons why I love playing as Kirby! He's the only character with two practically sure-fire instant kills! You're never completely out of the game with Kirby until you actually lose.

The way I see it is if they fall into the swallowcide, they kind of deserve to lose that stock. They really deserve it if they do it again.

Serge the Viking

Smash Rookie
Well on most stages I play pretty laid back just floating around and attacking when I see an opening but when I play on Dreamland 64 I start thinking back to Kirby Super Star and the race against King DeDeDe so I go all out offensive running everywhere.

Top Bottom