• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What kind of modes would you like to see in the next installment?

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
Hello, I'm a former member of Smashboards. But I left the forum years ago. My old name was @Resting_Fox, but i'm going for a new identity. (I hope that's not a problem here). I was active long ago in the times when Gideon and McFox were admins. But Smash Bros. for Switch has brought me back for a few reasons. Mostly so I can spout out what I want to see added into the next game and pray that Sakurai, or whoever directs Smash now, might have people cruising these forums, looking for good ideas. My biggest idea is what this thread is about. I'm talking "Custom Smash". or maybe a better term is "Scenario Design". Basically what "Custom Smash" is is a function that allows you to set all the parameters of a multiplayer match and save all those settings to a file with its own name. For example, say you want a 10 stock match where the only items are stars, hammers, beam swords, star rods, fans, home run bats and healing items and you also want the match to be in fast mode, tiny mode, and damage flower mode. So you set all those up and then on the character screen, right before going into battle, there's a little file tab that says "Save Custom Smash". You click it and it lets you name that mode and save it to a database so you can come back to it anytime without having to go through all the time-consuming work it would take to have done it on Smash 4 or Brawl. Smash tour on Smash 4 had certain examples like the dreaded "Mr. Saturn" Smash mode. But what i'm talking about is a quick way to store preferred parameter sets so if you want a 5 minute match, with pokeballs, Mr. Saturns, assist trophies, and warp stars that also uses the large character mode, you can do that, make it a saved setting, give it a name like "Eric1" (if your name's Eric), and bring it up again on the fly. It would be great, right?

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I would like to mix and match Goals and Styles.

Goals would be what a player has to do in order to win a match. For example, getting the most kills, receiving the fewest KOs, Coin battles, King of the Hill, etc.

Styles would be how KOs are earned in a match. For example, ring-outs, stamina, Final Smashes, high-speed launching.

Being able to alter how the game is played and how the game is won, individually of one another, would greatly expand the variety on offer.

Hello, I'm a former member of Smashboards. But I left the forum years ago. My old name was @Resting_Fox, but i'm going for a new identity. (I hope that's not a problem here). I was active long ago in the times when Gideon and McFox were admins. But Smash Bros. for Switch has brought me back for a few reasons. Mostly so I can spout out what I want to see added into the next game and pray that Sakurai, or whoever directs Smash now, might have people cruising these forums, looking for good ideas. My biggest idea is what this thread is about. I'm talking "Custom Smash". or maybe a better term is "Scenario Design". Basically what "Custom Smash" is is a function that allows you to set all the parameters of a multiplayer match and save all those settings to a file with its own name. For example, say you want a 10 stock match where the only items are stars, hammers, beam swords, star rods, fans, home run bats and healing items and you also want the match to be in fast mode, tiny mode, and damage flower mode. So you set all those up and then on the character screen, right before going into battle, there's a little file tab that says "Save Custom Smash". You click it and it lets you name that mode and save it to a database so you can come back to it anytime without having to go through all the time-consuming work it would take to have done it on Smash 4 or Brawl. Smash tour on Smash 4 had certain examples like the dreaded "Mr. Saturn" Smash mode. But what i'm talking about is a quick way to store preferred parameter sets so if you want a 5 minute match, with pokeballs, Mr. Saturns, assist trophies, and warp stars that also uses the large character mode, you can do that, make it a saved setting, give it a name like "Eric1" (if your name's Eric), and bring it up again on the fly. It would be great, right?
Yes, custom scheme saving is a must! Overwatch did this, and it's by far my favourite way to play it. Saving and loading presets is so much fun, it's more appealing to me than the actual game.

Last edited by a moderator:

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Biggest must is some sort of replayable but decidedly unique solo mode. I don't want to just say "Melee adventure mode", but honestly that's not the worst idea. It needs a mix of smash run-esque enemy fighting/platforming mixed with classic smash battles.

One thing I would personally love to see is a True All Star mode that follows after the end of All Star mode on certain difficulties if you beat it in enough time. You'd face off against knock-backable versions of Wario Man, Giga Bowser, Mega Lucario, etc., as well as some mini-boss runs against versions of certain assist trophies that you can hit, such as Ghirahim, only they have health bars. To finish it off, you'd have a battle against master hand/crazy hand, master core, and master fortress.

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
For online I'd like to see a mode where you can create and join other public lobbies that have rules that the host has customized. At the very least I'd like an itemless For Fun. Also offline Tournament mode and an online Amiibo Tournament mode, I'd probably get one if there was an online Tournament for them.

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
I just hope there's some kind of Adventure mode with platforms and a lot of exploring zones. The Subspace Emissary is by far my favourite extra mode in Smash Bros series

I'm not expecting something that big but give us at least something like Smash Run from 3DS.

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
Can we just get a normal Classic mode thats not a cluster**** like the Wii U's version was, and an ACTUAL Subspace Emissary successor?? Thats all I want dammit.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
What everyone has been demanding since the dawn of Smash.

STAGE HAZARDS: [ON] / [OFF]

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
  • Adventure Mode
  • Online Stock Matches

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
ADVENTURE MODE, PLEASE. SSE was, and still is, easily my favorite mode in any Smash game, and after Sakurai's frankly bull**** "we didn't do it again because people uploaded the cutscenes online" excuse we got with Smash 4, even just a non-story-driven tour through all the characters' homelands like we got in Melee would be nice.
Other than that, seeing Smash Run return with online support and being able to actually interact with the other players in the map would be sweet as hell.

Morbi

Scavenger
ADVENTURE MODE, PLEASE. SSE was, and still is, easily my favorite mode in any Smash game, and after Sakurai's frankly bull**** "we didn't do it again because people uploaded the cutscenes online" excuse we got with Smash 4, even just a non-story-driven tour through all the characters' homelands like we got in Melee would be nice.
Other than that, seeing Smash Run return with online support and being able to actually interact with the other players in the map would be sweet as hell.
I am honestly just fine with Melee's Adventure Mode. It does not take long to develop, you get the vibe of SSE regardless, and they could just use that as the arcade and go a different route with "arcade" as they clearly wanted to last time. I am not going to lie, the only mode I ever enjoyed, outside of Adventure Mode, was break the targets with character specific challenges. Homerun contest was okay. But I do not want board games or Kirby spin-offs. I am fine with the base game. Just build upon that, if you ask me.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I think Nintendo dropped the idea in SSB4 because the many DLC would make a story too complicated to assemble and I agree. So a less storyfilled adventure mode like the one of Melee, featuring the actual enemies from the characters games and not some made up crap just for the sake of the actual game (thet's the biggest fault of the Subspace Emissary IMHO), would be better.
Which doesn't mean it has to be short and linear. Multiple paths and secret triggers could be put in there too.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I think Nintendo dropped the idea in SSB4 because the many DLC would make a story too complicated to assemble and I agree.
That's certainly understandable, but if that were really the case, Sakurai should've just come out and said that instead of outright blaming the fans for Adventure Mode's exclusion. Time constraints are an incredibly believable reason to drop such a massive time sink from development, plus it doesn't make you look like an ass.
I, personally, didn't mind the original backdrops and enemies from SSE like most people seem to. They helped give the mode its own distinct identity IMO.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I posted this in the wishlist thread, but on second thought, this might be a better place for it:

Something I really want to see is a short-ish, but highly replayable Adventure mode with unique content across each stage.

I don't want something like Melee's Adventure mode. I thought it was kind of a waste of potential. With only a few sidescrolling stages packed among a ton of regular battles, it really felt like an extended, more scripted Classic Mode.

I don't want something like Brawl's either. I loved the thing, but at the end of the day, I played it once and never again. I want something shorter. Something more replayable. Something you can always go back to, that would still surprise you even after you played it dozens of times.

Picture this. The mode starts out very similarly to Melee's adventure mode, a short, sidescrolling stage based on the Mushroom Kingdom. You go through a few platforming challenges, defeat Mario enemies, maybe explore a bit to find random trophies, and reach the goal to end up in a "boss fight" against a Mario character.

Okay. Stage Clear. You're now taken to a sort-of map screen, and this is not actually a new concept.

You get branching paths. All paths lead to a completely new side-scrolling level, with challenges and enemies based on a specific franchise, and a "boss battle" at the end against one of the playable characters from that series.

The part where the fun comes from could come from having several pre-defined stages, but not necesarily having to play them all to reach the end. You get to choose. Like, for example maybe there's 10 stages in total, but you reach the end after you go through 5 of them.

And when I say branching paths, I don't necesarily mean you'd always have a choice. There could be different exits in each stage that open up extra choices in the map screen, or maybe by finishing up a stage with extra requirements could lead you in a totally different direction, or maybe even lead to skipping stages entirely. Think of it like a mini-Starfox, but with sidescrolling Smash levels. You could also hunt for secrets along each stage, and find **** like hidden bonus trophies, or even find optional fights or special events that could boost your score, or let you unlock special trophies. Like, find a secret barrel in the Donkey Kong stage, and you end up in a Break the Targets room. Clear it in 15 seconds, you get a unique Donkey Kong trophy. Just an example.

There's a lot of **** that could be done with this idea, and it'd be a hell of a lot simpler to develop than a full-blown story mode like Brawl had. The idea is that it'd be something you clear in 20-30 minutes, but would totally leave you wanting to play again to find other paths and secrets and ****, or to try out other characters. Also, two-player coop is a must!

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I'd like to see a mode where you can choose one character to play per stock that gets switched during the match as you lose them, similiar to Project M's All Star mode (iirc that's what it's called)

Also return of Melee style adventure mode would be cool

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
An online mode where you fight along side your amiibo in doubles (assuming amiibo functionality is coming back)

Online rank matches

Battlefield versions of all stages like the omega stages in 4.

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
How about costumizable 1P challenges you can set and send online?
You can choose the name of the challenge, the player's character(s), the opponent(s), their colors, the stage(s), the item(s), the time, the number of lives and the special conditions. But to send a challenge online you've to pass it yourself.
If you earn enough likes you're allowed to use the mii fighters and the costumized stages.
Sorta like Super Mario Maker and the Balloon challenge of Super Mario Odissey.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
How about a collect items mode where the fighters have to collect specific kinds of items found only in this mode, which can be knocked out of each fighter with each force. The one with the most items, or a specific kind of item wins.

Aside from that, a survival mode, an adventure mode (don't care if it's like Melee or Brawl) or a mode where you must destroy something in a limited amount of time, like in Street Fighter 2 with its Car Smash thing.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I'd like to see Adventure mode come back, preferably something akin to Brawl's though something like Melee's would also be cool. An SSE-style adventure mode with all the characters that are going to be in this game is going to be something to see.

Classic Mode should go back to how it was in Melee, randomized, making it fresh and something different every time you played it. If not, Smash 3DS had a very cool idea for Classic Mode. Smash Wii U's was frankly bad. Also, if Classic Mode will be Melee-esque, Break The Targets should make a return as well as Board the Platforms (though that one will likely never come back).

Something like Project M's All Star Mode would be awesome to see in a game like this and quite frankly I'm surprised it's not in the game as an actual mode or a Special Smash feature (only Smash Tour had that and playing through that wasn't worth it).

Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy That is an awesome concept for an improvement on Melee's Adventure Mode. That would be awesome to see.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Glad to see I’m not the only one who liked SSE. I’ve (no joke) played through it 11 times. There’s something about those cutscenes and the Kirby-style gameplay that I’d love to see replicated.

Poor Sakurai, Smash fans really are a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don’t group.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
A Classic Mode like Melee's. Not whatever Kid Icarus ripoff we got (and the less said about the WiiU's). I did prefer how Melee did Classic to Brawl's, since I like the fight style being predictable with random characters and not the other way around. I even liked that All-Star was randomized there.

Also was cool that every character had a home stage for fighting them.

A tag-team stock mode needs to happen. It works, since it was the last game of the travesty that was Smash Tour, so just give that to us and let us choose our teams, and not be stuck with our worst characters because the RNG gods hate us.

I'd like something of an adventure-y mode like Melee. I'm not expecting a full Subspace Emissary, but SSB4 was seriously lacking on single-player stuff that wasn't 'Smash with the CPU!'

Events which are open to more characters. And challenges which are open to more characters. Basically stop putting my worst characters in the hardest events, and my mains on the ones that my dog could win at.

Smash Run was actually a lot more fun than expected, though, and should totally come in, powerups and all. But bring in a more diverse array of enemies from other games. It was interesting to see that Mario series "Kill as many as possible" could survive with just Mario enemies, which makes sense as that is the flagship series, but then so did Kirby and Kid Icarus (gee, I wonder why...) when Zelda kept getting the shaft (and DK and Metroid basically didn't exist)

Maybe, if the online stuff is set up, they could even do automated limited-time events like in MKX or Injustice? Just to keep things fresh.

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
An expansion of stage builder with better customizable features such as the ability to manually determine the movement path, not just static movement, but tilting, rotating, etc. Also rather than have everything be created strictly by hand (which lead to a lot of imperfections and was a nuisance) allow for more specific numbers based inputs like having a stage be precisely x units long and perfectly symmetrical, or having a platform tilt to the right exactly x degrees and so on.

Additionally having more aesthetic options would be nice, like having a tile set based off the different franchises so you create a stage that looks like it's from Mario, Metroid or Zelda rather than generic sci-fi or fantasy. Also to have more background variety, perhaps letting you use the backgrounds of real stages. Or to import your own (though this could lead to problems related to inappropriate content or copyrights).

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ooh, another idea!

Remember those point bonuses from Melee? That was fun, even if they didn’t mean anything. I’d like those back. And Brawl’s slow-down-and-zoom-in when you finished each fight in Classic.

And that’d play well into challenges, like ‘Win a game while getting the Magnified Finish bonus.’ I’d like challenge mode to have some character specific achievements which don’t require fighting impossible matches (As Link, defeat Ganondorf with Triforce Slash), and the big fighting ones open (Clear All-Star mode with any character)

Similarly have events that do that - keep a lot general (especially bring back the solo and paired ‘Defeat the whole roster’ ones) and some specific (as mini-Samus, defeat giant Ridley)

A good stage builder is a must. Could be fun to add hazards too (Lynel coloseum, anyone?)

And I love the idea about saving match styles. Sometimes I just want a Pokémon match.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I posted this in the wishlist thread, but on second thought, this might be a better place for it:

Something I really want to see is a short-ish, but highly replayable Adventure mode with unique content across each stage.

I don't want something like Melee's Adventure mode. I thought it was kind of a waste of potential. With only a few sidescrolling stages packed among a ton of regular battles, it really felt like an extended, more scripted Classic Mode.

I don't want something like Brawl's either. I loved the thing, but at the end of the day, I played it once and never again. I want something shorter. Something more replayable. Something you can always go back to, that would still surprise you even after you played it dozens of times.

Picture this. The mode starts out very similarly to Melee's adventure mode, a short, sidescrolling stage based on the Mushroom Kingdom. You go through a few platforming challenges, defeat Mario enemies, maybe explore a bit to find random trophies, and reach the goal to end up in a "boss fight" against a Mario character.

Okay. Stage Clear. You're now taken to a sort-of map screen, and this is not actually a new concept.

You get branching paths. All paths lead to a completely new side-scrolling level, with challenges and enemies based on a specific franchise, and a "boss battle" at the end against one of the playable characters from that series.

The part where the fun comes from could come from having several pre-defined stages, but not necesarily having to play them all to reach the end. You get to choose. Like, for example maybe there's 10 stages in total, but you reach the end after you go through 5 of them.

And when I say branching paths, I don't necesarily mean you'd always have a choice. There could be different exits in each stage that open up extra choices in the map screen, or maybe by finishing up a stage with extra requirements could lead you in a totally different direction, or maybe even lead to skipping stages entirely. Think of it like a mini-Starfox, but with sidescrolling Smash levels. You could also hunt for secrets along each stage, and find **** like hidden bonus trophies, or even find optional fights or special events that could boost your score, or let you unlock special trophies. Like, find a secret barrel in the Donkey Kong stage, and you end up in a Break the Targets room. Clear it in 15 seconds, you get a unique Donkey Kong trophy. Just an example.

There's a lot of **** that could be done with this idea, and it'd be a hell of a lot simpler to develop than a full-blown story mode like Brawl had. The idea is that it'd be something you clear in 20-30 minutes, but would totally leave you wanting to play again to find other paths and secrets and ****, or to try out other characters. Also, two-player coop is a must!
I completely agree with this. A nice hybrid of the best of SSE and Melee Adventure and then some.

D

Deleted member

TBH, most of what I want is just for the cool modes we had back in Brawl to make a return:

A proper follow up to SSE from Brawl is probably my most wanted thing for this game now that we know Inklings are gonna be in the roster. I'd love to see it take an RPG approach by bringing back custom moves alongside Brawl's sticker mechanic, allowing us to level up and unlock new abilities for the characters that could then be used in all the other modes. Heck, I even like the idea of making it how you unlock hidden characters in the roster again.

Fixing Classic Mode would be cool. It was a broken mess on Smash for Wii U with A.I. balance being what I believe to be the worst in the series, and the fact that 8-Player Smash rounds were hurled at you every few seconds did not help at all. Don't even get me started on when it makes you fight against 3 CPUs plus a giant metal character.

Target Smash would also be a very welcomed return. I have no idea why they were even scrapped in the first place.

I would also love to see everything from Smash 3DS make the jump over to Switch. I think it would be really cool to have Smash Run alongside an Adventure Mode, as I think they both accomplish different things. Adventure Mode is there for some good ol' fashioned singleplayer/co-op content, while Smash Run is there to be Smash's equivalent to Kirby Air Ride's City Trial for super unbalanced chaotic fun.

Oh, and please make Stage Builder good again. Wii U's sucked eggs. -_-

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Remember those point bonuses from Melee? That was fun, even if they didn’t mean anything. I’d like those back. And Brawl’s slow-down-and-zoom-in when you finished each fight in Classic.
Frankly, Melee's bonuses should never come back, as it was a huge pain to get them all for just a single trophy.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
A proper follow up to SSE from Brawl is probably my most wanted thing for this game now that we know Inklings are gonna be in the roster. I'd love to see it take an RPG approach by bringing back custom moves alongside Brawl's sticker mechanic, allowing us to level up and unlock new abilities for the characters that could then be used in all the other modes. Heck, I even like the idea of making it how you unlock hidden characters in the roster again.
A proper follow up to SSE that uses enemies and bosses from the actual games the characters come from.

Khao

Smash Lord
Another thing that would be great would be a player-specific Special Smash. Like, being able to set all the fun extra values of a Special Smash to each player separately.

We could do stuff like three tiny players with two-stock each fighting against a single giant metallic player that uses stamina instead. The ability to set a separate stock value for each player would be awesome as well. It'd even be great for something as simply as giving extra lives to someone that's just not that great at the game so they don't just lose frustratingly quickly.

Also, I want stock-Stamina. I love Stamina mode due to how different it feels from the regular game, but the matches always feel like they end way too quickly.

It would be insane to have a mode based on rounds too. Like, it'd be pretty much a regular Stock match, except the last player standing gets one point, and the match resets. First player to reach the set amount of points wins. Could even be fun if they force each player to have a single stock, but it'd be great if the amount of stock and the amount of rounds could be set separately. Single stock would be a bit more "elegant" though, as there'd only be one option. That way I think it'd work great as an extra basic mode that goes alongside Time, Stock and Coin, you'd just have to set the amount of points needed for a win.

Either way, couple this mode with stamina and you can just about turn Smash into a traditional fighter, haha.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Two words:
ADVENTURE MODE
Brawl's Adventure Mode was a considerable step up from Melee's because it was story-driven, had some pretty cool stages and enemies, and was multiplayer. I was very dissapointed we never got a mode like it in Sm4sh, so I have my fingers crossed it makes a comeback this time.

As for a new original mode, an RPG mode that utilizes character/custom stats like Smash Tour/Run did would be cool. Maybe Fire-Emblem styled, too.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
This:
I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented yet. I mean: The ball is an item in the game.

Last edited:

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
From most important to least important
  1. Custom Soundtrack support. Endless Ocean and Excite Truck did that before, but I think it's best to re-introduce this feature here. A BRSTM, ADX, MP3 or WAV will most likely be supported formats.
  2. 8-Player Smash removed
  3. A remake of the Melee Classic Mode, entitled "Simple Mode", along with a remake of the Melee Adventure Mode.
  4. All-Star Mode makes you fight random solos on the first third, random duos on the second third, random trios on the last third, and a 100 Mr. Game & Watch team as your last battle. There is no continue service, and you can never fight Mr. Game & Watch until you reach your last battle.
  5. "Break the Car" bonus stage to replace "Break the Targets", as it would be dreadful to give each character unique BTT maps and have over 50 of them
  6. Continue Service for lowering the difficulty, adding a free Final Smash or adding 300% damage to the enemy on the stage you lost to, but only if you choose to continue. The Continue Service is optional, and you can play without any CS conditions at your decision.
  7. A Survival mode, where you level up as you fight random opponents along the way, and fight the challengers every 20th Survival level (you cannot level up when fighting them). Before Darkside, all challengers are black-colored (unlimited Final Smashes) EX characters and hidden characters. Darkside levels start on 500, causing random opponents to use black colors and challengers to use gold colors (generally stronger and faster, but each fighter has unique Gold enhancements). Master Hand, Crazy Hand and Master Core are your last challengers on Level 999. The game ends if you die or reach level 1000 for defeating the three.
  8. A three-letter Name Entry screen is used whenever you make a high score in any 1P mode without a ring name. Each high score is given names, and that screen gets skipped if a high score is made with a ring name used,
I had to edit this post because I didn't read carefully. Sorry!

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Survival mode can practically be done via Multi-Man, though.

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
Survival mode can practically be done via Multi-Man, though.
Survival Mode and All-Star would be separate modes; Survival has no continues and has lots of repetition (random opponents, challengers every 20th level with Black EX or Gold properties, darkside levels, etc.). All-Star has continues, and you fight each character once with limited recovery items in between.

Top Bottom