• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your take on ultimate space animals?

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
I would like to get more feedback about Fox, Wolf and Falco in ultimate. It looks like there are very different opinions regarding these characters potential.
How would you rank them? Which one would you pick for competitive play? Fox is usually considered as hard to master and not suited for beginners, do you believe this is true also for Falco and Wolf?
I know it is too early to make reliable tier list, but do you see one of these characters in high tiers? How would you rate them?

Last edited:

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
I think all of the spacies are good in this game. Like you said too early to really tell, but I don't see any of them dropping below mid tier. Falco especially looks strong. I think it will really depend on how the meta develops, as a tier list is more based on meta than total potential.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
They ****ed up Wolf's voice & ruined his taunts. :(
At least his side taunt is...okay. Plus, he got "You're good, but I'm better." as a victory quote. That's pretty cool. Seemingly no quote for beating Fox though oddly enough.
Edit: Nevermind, looks like its just not in soundtest for some reason.

Last edited:

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
Which one if any would you consider the easiest to handle for a casual player?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
They ****ed up Wolf's voice & ruined his taunts. :(
But made him a much better fighter. It evens out.

Personally, with what experience I have playing against them, I'd say Wolf = Falco > Fox. Fox has a harder time killing and just seems to need a damage buff.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
New to SSB with SSBU, I like space animals. In my humble experience, Fox and Wolf are fun to play although they feel pretty different. Fox feels faster but Wolf may be a bit easier at first sight. Not experimented too much with Falco yet.
I believe I should persevere with one main character but not sure which one would be the best pick. Is one of them harder to master for a beginner?
Thanks for comments and advice.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Too early to tell, but......
Fox is annoying but not that good.
Falco is annoying and kind of broken.
Wolf is annoying and and looking mid/high tier.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
They look good. They are gonna be high tier. Fox I think is the weakest but not by much. Once people understand ultimate's engine better they are gonna be ridiculous.

:ultfalco:>>>:ultwolf:>:ultfox:.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
Falco really? I’m not familiar with him but he was praised by only a minority of players while the vast majority gave him rather poor rating. What would be so good for him? Blasters and combo ability? But doesn’t he have significant weaknesses too?
Falco has not been used a lot in early tournaments, at least not by smashers who did well on these occurences.

Last edited:

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Falco really? I’m not familiar with him but he was praised by only a minority of players while the vast majority gave him rather poor rating. What would be so good for him? Blasters and combo ability? But doesn’t he have significant weaknesses too?
Falco has not been used a lot in early tournaments, at least not by smashers who did well on these occurences.
Leffen explains it pretty well. His aerial and combo game is among the best. He really has some sick kill moves too, unlike Fox and Wolf (somewhat).

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
I have seen what Leffen said too. However, there are other valuable players like zero who do not givre Falco much praise. It is noticeable test Falco has almost zero track records in early SSBU tournaments, while there are a bunch of Wolf and a good amount of Fox who did very well.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
I have seen what Leffen said too. However, there are other valuable players like zero who do not givre Falco much praise. It is noticeable test Falco has almost zero track records in early SSBU tournaments, while there are a bunch of Wolf and a good amount of Fox who did very well.
It is very early in the meta and there are 70 characters to try. All we have to go on is hypotheticals, early tourneys where the players could be sleeping on certain characters, and what little practice we have collectively got. Falco looks better then the other spacies, and I call it like I see it, in time we'll know but for right now it it speculation.

Aemuli

Smash Cadet
I disagree with what people are saying, I think Fox is the best out of the three in my opinion. Fox has his sour spot neutral air/forward air to up smash kill confirm, and he also is the fastest out of all the space animals. Likewise, Light recently won a tournament with him so he is so far showing the most potential out of the three. I think Falco is a bit overrated, he doesn't look like his combos are as consistent if an opponent has proper DI. Overall I could be wrong but I haven't really seen an impact in the meta from the other two but they look like good characters nonetheless.

Korrin

Smash Rookie
It is very early in the meta and there are 70 characters to try. All we have to go on is hypotheticals, early tourneys where the players could be sleeping on certain characters, and what little practice we have collectively got. Falco looks better then the other spacies, and I call it like I see it, in time we'll know but for right now it it speculation.
What makes him look better? He looks worse than both fox and wolf.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I just got why Fox, Falco, and Wolf are called the “spacies”, and now I just feel stupid.

Last edited:

ps_

Banned via Warnings
All of them seem like good characters. Fast, can combo, comfortable at any range and any place on the stage. I predict they'll be very effective for anybody who bothers to put in the effort learning them. Wolf does kind of feel like "dumb guy's Fox" though.

KingOfKazoos

Smash Cadet
Fox is reliable but not as good as in Smash 4.
Falco I'm unsure of, but Leffen is confident he's a top tier so that's always decent evidence.
Wolf imo is the strongest purely because of how good his projectile is.

But yeah, still too early to say. I'll just say Wolf or Falco are going to be the best.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Wolf will drop a tier, watch. Brawl wolf is overlooked.

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
Light is having great success with Fox. Even Chrom has a hard time keeping up with him. Larry Lurr has been playing Falco recently with decent success too. I have yet to see Wolf enter Grand Finals but I haven't watched too many videos. My opinion is Fox>Falco>Wolf

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
Light is having great success with Fox. Even Chrom has a hard time keeping up with him. Larry Lurr has been playing Falco recently with decent success too. I have yet to see Wolf enter Grand Finals but I haven't watched too many videos. My opinion is Fox>Falco>Wolf
I get you but what do you think about great results obtained by Wolves in various tournaments recently? Probably not top champions but still, doesn’t it mean something about Wolf being a decent competitive character?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Maybe it's just me, but I also feel like several players may just gravitate to Fox and Falco due to reputation. I.e. Melee.

WoW Tarv

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 3431 0382 0347
I don’t know I just can’t get into fox, falco and wolf in this game. I loved fox and falco in melee but in ultimate they just feel... off. Especially Falco which is unfortunate because people keep saying he’s one of the best characters in the game. I can’t get into wolf either. It’s probably just a personal thing

Last edited:

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
I get you but what do you think about great results obtained by Wolves in various tournaments recently? Probably not top champions but still, doesn’t it mean something about Wolf being a decent competitive character?
Why do you seem to believe that tournament results are the sole defining factor in whether a character is useable or not?

Not everyone likes every character, for all you know there could be a super good character nobody is using in tournaments simply because nobody prefers them.

People are sleeping on Bayo IMO, she got nerfed of course but I fought a really good one last night in Elite who's combo game was ON POINT. I got serious smash 4 PTSD.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
Why do you seem to believe that tournament results are the sole defunding factor in whether a character is useable or not?

Not everyone likes every character, for all you know there could be a super good character nobody is using in tournaments simply because nobody prefers them.

People are sleeping on Bayo IMO, she got nerfed of course but I fought a really good one last night in Elite who's combo game was ON POINT. I got serious smash 4 PTSD.
I do not believe that tournament results are the sole defunding factor in whether a character is useable or not. However, if tournaments players tend to prefer one or few characters over others, it means (for most of these competitors) that they consider this character at least as competitive as others. Characters not seen in tournaments are likely those considered less good or in some cases maybe dismissed characters.

Last edited:

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
I do not believe that tournament results are the sole defunding factor in whether a character is useable or not. However, if tournaments players tend to prefer one or few characters over others, it means (for most of these competitors) that they consider this character at least as competitive as others. Characters not seen in tournaments are likely those considered less good or in some cases maybe dismissed characters.
The cognitive dissonance here is striking...

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Obviously all three of them are really good, but I think Wolf will be the best and second place will go to Falco with Fox not far behind.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
The cognitive dissonance here is striking...
Thanks doc but I do not need a psychiatrist. What I say is pretty obvious actually. Do tournaments tell us something about characters competitiveness? Yes. Do tournaments tell us everything about characters competitiveness? No. Period.

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
Thanks doc but I do not need a psychiatrist. What I say is pretty obvious actually. Do tournaments tell us something about characters competitiveness? Yes. Do tournaments tell us everything about characters competitiveness? No. Period.
They don't tell us anything about the competitiveness of characters that aren't represented.

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
You literally just a few posts above doubted the suggestion that Falco is worth your time because he lacks tournament presence, even though he JUST had a grand finals showing at SSB with void (as Pichu), and performed pretty damn well (despite the fact void took the set).

I'd say you should stop asking so many questions, and start listening to the answers people are giving you.

Last edited:

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
Let’s stop feeding this troll.
Edit : sorry that may sound agressive. I withdraw it. My first post about Falco lacked clarity and I understand what you mean. Best wishes:)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think Wolf's recovery is really going to hurt him.

His strengths don't seem strong enough to balance it out.

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
"If I use big boy words I'll sound like I have a point!"
You do realize that the only people who actually use "You're using big words" as a legit counter argument tend not to be the brightest, right? Simply saying my words are too big for you doesn't really do you any favors.

Last edited:

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
I agree with Zipzo. Especially this early in the meta, we can't sleep on a character popularity based solely on tournaments. We gravitate to those we perceive as good, and stick with them. However, it doesn't mean characters that were less popular in previous games aren't extremely good now. For example, take Wii Fit Trainer. While alright in Smash 4, we never saw her as a top class character... however she may be top tier in this game and no one has cared to truly flesh out her competitive play style.

Also, side note: Discrediting Zipzo's opinion based on his usage of a term that was accurately used only does yourself a disservice as it shows you don't actually understand his point. Resorting to personal attacks is also very childish, as well as referring to him as a troll when he was bringing up valid points. Don't make the community more toxic than it is already. Just be chill and respectful.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
I have been experimenting with the 3 spacies over the last days and like all of them. However in my hands Wolf recovery is really a big downside and I tend to feel safer with Fox and Falco. In my hands again, playing Wolf does not result in more kills than other spacies. I think Falco and Fox play pretty similar without major weakness. I was a bit surprised to see that the experimented Seagull Joe was ranking Falco in the « has a major weakness » tier but not the others. IMO such statement would better fit Wolf. Did I miss something? What do you think he is referring to about Falco weakness? https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.inv...te-tier-list-best-characters-pichu-fox-olimar

Last edited:
Top Bottom