• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda What is your favorite Zelda dungeon?

Rhodechill

Smash Rookie
By far, it would be the Spirit Temple in OoT for me.

There are soooooo many honorable mentions though.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wow, this topic is actually really tough :(

I just played through Majora's Mask, and those dungeons are amazing, amazing, but Stone Tower, which I would probably mention, pissed me off to the point that I won't use it. Sorry ST.

(Also, it'd be a whole lot better if we could have the Great Fairy Sword, y'know, after Snowpeak or something...you don't get any use out of it after ST if you get the Fierce Diety Mask)

But I ramble...alright...hmm..

I think either the Fire Temple from OoT (Volvagia was such an epic boss fight) or The Arbiter's Grounds in TP, but every Dungeon in OoT and Tp was epic, so I just don't know.

And a shoutout to the Wind Temple in Windwaker, and Snowpeak

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Argh... I... dont... know!

It could be anything!

....... I'll just go with OoT's forest temple as my top favorite temple in the world!

It is the temple with the greatest mystery in the game. A weird, topsy-turvy mansion in one of the densest magical forests in all the world. We all know that when a Hylian enters the lost woods, he will become a Stalfos, so how in the world did a huge manmade mansion get into the forest? Why it is there and how it got there is constantly in your mind. Whats more, the temple revolves completely around four magical poe sisters, known only as the "poe sisters." They are as mysterious as the mansion itself. The overall atmosphere in the temple is fantastic. The music feels wild-yet-uniform, perfectly mimicking that the temple is a huge uniform mansion being taken back by the wild woods. The twisted hallways and upside down rooms bring up more questions about the temple's purpose, and point to a more sinister plot.

The temple itself feels bigger and grander than even the Hyrule castle itself, pointing to a more advanced race of people who either died or was consumed by the forest itself. That might be a stretch, but thats how I felt, anyways.

Over all, just a very good temple. It was challenging, it had slightly difficult puzzles, and got an A+ in good wholesome Zelda atmosphere.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I actually have a list of my top 5 favorites:

Forest Temple (OoT)
Spirit Temple (OoT)
Shadow Temple (OoT)
Arbiter's Grounds (TP)
Snowpeak Ruins (TP)

And Tower of the Gods (WW) is close behind.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah, I can easily list my top 10:

1. Forest Temple (OoT)
2. Goron Mines (TP)
3. City in the Sky (TP)
4. Spirit Temple (OoT)
5. Great Bay Temple (MM)
6. Woodfall Temple (MM)
7. Wind Temple (WW)
8. Snowpeak Ruins (TP)
9. Shadow Temple (OoT)
10. Tower of the Gods (WW)

Followups:

11. Lakebed Temple (TP)
12. Forest Temple (TP)
13. Fire Temple (OoT)
14. Earth Temple (WW)
15. Snowhead Temple (MM)

Rhodechill

Smash Rookie
These are my honorable mentions :I

Forest Temple (OoT)
Shadow Temple (OoT)
City in the Sky (TP)
Great Bay Temple (MM)
Tower of the Gods (WW)
Water Temple (OoT)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Mine would have to be the goron mines of TP

After reading all these comments im starting to think I'm really wierd, I hated the City in the sky beyond belief lol

rhan

Smash Hero
Stone Tower Temple is beast. It utilized all the main masks and it was fairly difficult to overcome.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
1.Stone Temple (MM)
2.Fire Temple (OoT)
3.City in the Skys (TP)
4.Tower of Gods (WW)
5.Snowhead Temple (MM)
6.Shadow Temple (OoT)
7.Snowpeak Temple (TP)
8.Earth Temple (WW)
9.Great Bay Temple (MM)
10.WoodFall Temple (MM)

Spire

III
BRoomer
Who could like City in the Sky? It was perhaps my LEAST favorite temple in any Zelda game in history.
I dunno.. me, SmithKay, Rhodechill, Phantom7, Meleeruler, and gannondorf4ever. Pretty much everyone in this thread except you. What a foolish post on your part. Given the demographics, the question would more accurately be written, "who could not like City in the Sky?"

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I dunno.. me, SmithKay, Rhodechill, Phantom7, Meleeruler, and gannondorf4ever. Pretty much everyone in this thread except you. What a foolish post on your part. Given the demographics, the question would more accurately be written, "who could not like City in the Sky?"

Haha yeah, I did enjoy City in the Sky, but the thing about the Arbiter's Grounds, the atmosphere around it, the look of it as you're running up to it, the feel of the inside of the dungeon, and the final boss of it are all so epic, I just had to put it before it.

Goron Mines is another favorite of mine from TP, although for some reason the first room gave me alot of trouble for some very odd reason.

Although I appear to be one of the only ones who loved the Fire Temple in OoT.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I just hate Twilight Princess, but I saw no redeeming quality for the City in the sky. It was all very bland. The Ooca were a horrible idea (Basically alien faced chickens with blue boobs on their necks... who invented the Hylians?), the music was ****-poor, the creatures were mediocre and far too rare (probably the most intresting creature in the temple was the peahats, and that is a sad state of circumstances in and of itself), the Boss is a... dragon (Not like Volvagia which had it's own Zelda style, but this dragon was a stereotypical "Dragon Heart" type of dragon), washed colors and no atmosphere (except for maybe... broken castle in the sky).

I dont know maybe I'm just holding a grudge against Twilight Princess, because they ***** and murdered everything I loved about Zelda preceding it. Sorry if I dont understand your views, but honestly I cant see the likable factor. :ohwell:

Also, I was playing the downloadable version of OoT on the Wii yesterday, and I was at the Fire temple. I turned up the volume so I could hear one of my FAVORITE songs in the Zelda franchise (I love the chanting and the howls of the Fire Temple). But you know what? THEY CHANGED THE SONG! The song wasnt the same! They had synthesized singing instead of the actual chants! Now, I think the OoT Fire Temple has gone from second to sixth favorite.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Wow, this topic is actually really tough :(

I just played through Majora's Mask, and those dungeons are amazing, amazing, but Stone Tower, which I would probably mention, pissed me off to the point that I won't use it. Sorry ST.

(Also, it'd be a whole lot better if we could have the Great Fairy Sword, y'know, after Snowpeak or something...you don't get any use out of it after ST if you get the Fierce Diety Mask)

But I ramble...alright...hmm..

I think either the Fire Temple from OoT (Volvagia was such an epic boss fight) or The Arbiter's Grounds in TP, but every Dungeon in OoT and Tp was epic, so I just don't know.

And a shoutout to the Wind Temple in Windwaker, and Snowpeak
your name, IT BURNS, you have ashamed Ganondorf with the horrid Gannondorf curse! :laugh:

Either way, I'd say my favorite temple is... the forest temple from OoT. I'm sure there are a bunch more temples that I like from TP but I haven't played TP in a long time heh.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Quick list. Not final for me, cause I play through these games a lot, but here goes.

Forest Temple in OoT (mainly for the music)

Earth Temple in WW

Fire Temple in OoT

Spirit Temple in OoT

Water Temple in OoT

Ganondorf's Tower in OoT

Snowhead Temple in MM

Stone Tower Temple in MM

And I can't believe no one has stated any dungeon from a 2-D Zelda game yet, even though I hear a lot of praise for their games.

I can't remember which one, but I love a few in LttP. I'll have to replay to remember.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
your name, IT BURNS, you have ashamed Ganondorf with the horrid Gannondorf curse! :laugh:

Either way, I'd say my favorite temple is... the forest temple from OoT. I'm sure there are a bunch more temples that I like from TP but I haven't played TP in a long time heh.

I realized I spelled it wrong about a week after making it way back when, and I just kind of stuck with it. Don't spear me!

Spire

III
BRoomer
I realized I spelled it wrong about a week after making it way back when, and I just kind of stuck with it. Don't spear me!
I think it's funny. It's kind of saying that the constant misspelling will continue forever (as it has since day one). And yet, you've been a Diddy main pretty much since Brawl came out. I remember the first time I saw you posting around (I guess it was GBD), I was like, "what's a gannondorf4ever doing with Diddy?"

Though if you buy Premium, you could change your name if you wanted.

I'm pretty sure the Oocca were inspired by M.C. Escher's "Other World":

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
I can't tell if I'm looking from the ceiling, through the floor, or wall to wall. That's a pretty amazing picture.

But Castle in the Sky was pretty amazing, it was a new type of temple, and to be honest, the music was pretty decent. (This is me trying to remember some of it, though.)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I dont know maybe I'm just holding a grudge against Twilight Princess, because they ***** and murdered everything I loved about Zelda preceding it. Sorry if I dont understand your views, but honestly I cant see the likable factor. :ohwell:

Also, I was playing the downloadable version of OoT on the Wii yesterday, and I was at the Fire temple. I turned up the volume so I could hear one of my FAVORITE songs in the Zelda franchise (I love the chanting and the howls of the Fire Temple). But you know what? THEY CHANGED THE SONG! The song wasnt the same! They had synthesized singing instead of the actual chants! Now, I think the OoT Fire Temple has gone from second to sixth favorite.
I'm not a fan of TP but you are exaggerating a whole lot. It wasn't nearly that bad/offensive.

And the Fire Temple song you're thinking of hasn't been in a copy of OoT since like V 1.0. They changed it because the chanting is Islamic.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Without a doubt my favorite is the Spirit Temple from Ocarina of Time. Visiting it twice at different ages, the Iron Knuckles, the Anubis, Mirror Shield puzzles... so much to love about that temple.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a fan of TP but you are exaggerating a whole lot. It wasn't nearly that bad/offensive.
Yes, well, this is more of my opinion of TP than an actual statement of fact. But I just felt that there was no originality when it came to anything: especially when it came to temples. The forest temple was a tree, the water temple was basically an Atlantis, the Fire temple was a mine. Also, the enemies in these temples seemed very... cliched. For example: What were the most prominent creatures in the forest temple? Plant creatures and bats (With the occasional Bokoblin). Water Temple: fish and clams (With the occasional Chu Jelly). In OoT, they got rid of all the cliches early in the starting 3 temples, and created some of the most creative temples and creatures to go into them. They gave the temples spiritual and magical significants. In TP, there was no spiritual significants for temples: only the horrid cliches. Though I must applaud TP's Snow-head temple. Aside from some creature cliches, it was a very very imaginative dungeon.

Of course, I know people who like this new secular Zelda. They like that it strays away from the magical ways of other pre-existing games. But it killed Zelda for me to know that this is the route the franchise is going. Wont be long before we have Sci-fi Zelda. This next game better bring back some of the charm it lost with TP.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Argh... I... dont... know!

It could be anything!

....... I'll just go with OoT's forest temple as my top favorite temple in the world!

It is the temple with the greatest mystery in the game. A weird, topsy-turvy mansion in one of the densest magical forests in all the world. We all know that when a Hylian enters the lost woods, he will become a Stalfos, so how in the world did a huge manmade mansion get into the forest? Why it is there and how it got there is constantly in your mind. Whats more, the temple revolves completely around four magical poe sisters, known only as the "poe sisters." They are as mysterious as the mansion itself. The overall atmosphere in the temple is fantastic. The music feels wild-yet-uniform, perfectly mimicking that the temple is a huge uniform mansion being taken back by the wild woods. The twisted hallways and upside down rooms bring up more questions about the temple's purpose, and point to a more sinister plot.

The temple itself feels bigger and grander than even the Hyrule castle itself, pointing to a more advanced race of people who either died or was consumed by the forest itself. That might be a stretch, but thats how I felt, anyways.

Over all, just a very good temple. It was challenging, it had slightly difficult puzzles, and got an A+ in good wholesome Zelda atmosphere.
This x100000000000000

Scott!

Smash Lord
While my favorite is definitely the Forest Temple in OoT, I've gone on about that too many times to go through it again. Suffice to say, I love everything about it forever.

Also, City in the Sky is epic, though the pervasive presence of the Ooccoo does diminish it somewhat. I love it anyway though.

With that out of the way, I've noticed something about this thread. I may have missed something, but I haven't seen anyone post a single dungeon from a 2D game. So for the sake of talking about something often omitted, I'll mention a few of my favorite 2D dungeons.

First off is the Eagle's Tower in LA. This is probably the best dungeon in the game, at least to me. I enjoyed the ball-column thing and the challenges related to carrying that blasted ball everywhere. I also enjoyed going upstairs before all of the columns were taken out, since it changed a lot. There may have even been a miniboss fight you could only do beforehand, though I may be making that up. It was the dungeon that challenged me the most in that game, and that game was hard for 7-11 year old me. Also, it had Kirby as an enemy, so that's awesome. The boss was decent, but nothing amazing.

Another of my favorite 2D dungeons is the Skull Woods Palace, the 3rd Dark World one in ALttP. I'd put this one as my second favorite "concept" dungeon, after Snowpeak. By concept dungeon, I mean a dungeon that tries to do something outside the established norm of Zelda dungeon design. Why do I love that one? It literally has 8 entrances, and you need to go back and forth between the overworld and the different parts of the dungeon to get through. It's just so unique, it threw me for quite a loop the first time I played ALttP.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
My favorite Zelda Dungeon is probably the Spirit Temple. I like the concept of having to go through it once as an adult and once as a kid. The mirror shield is pretty awesome too, which only makes it better.

But man, the City in the Sky in TP... that was one awesome dungeon too. Probably my second favorite.

Rhodechill

Smash Rookie
Who could like City in the Sky? It was perhaps my LEAST favorite temple in any Zelda game in history.
I liked it for a few reasons. First of all, I actually did like the music. Secondly, it was pretty difficult and creative compared to most of the easy/unoriginal/straighforward dungeons in TP. The atmosphere was awesome. It was pretty lengthy as well. And the boss fight was my favorite boss fight in any video game ever. I mean, it's the classic "medieval man VS fire breathing dragon" type of thing IN THE SKY, MAN. THE SKY. I just felt so jolly after beating it.

I will admit that the Oocoos were really gay though.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
The Islamic community complained. This is also why the crescent moon symbol that was on the Mirror Shield was changed to something else.
Hate to sound dumb with the questions, but how would that happen to be offensive? The Crescent Moon, that is. Though, it was also removed from Stone Blocks that could be pushed.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Hate to sound dumb with the questions, but how would that happen to be offensive? The Crescent Moon, that is. Though, it was also removed from Stone Blocks that could be pushed.

Because they did not want a religious Islamic chant misrepresented in a video game.

But yes, the Crescent Moon was replaced by the Gerudo Symbol on the Mirror Shield and all pushable blocks.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
I mean, I can understand that, plus the tone and vibe of the music would just give more leeway (Even if it has enough on it's own) to do so.
What I want to know, is why the Mirror Shield and Pushable Block Symbols were changed.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I mean, I can understand that, plus the tone and vibe of the music would just give more leeway (Even if it has enough on it's own) to do so.
What I want to know, is why the Mirror Shield and Pushable Block Symbols were changed.

The crescent moon is the symbol of the Islam religion.

Well, the crescent moon with a star in between the points, but a crescent moon nonetheless.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The crescent moon is the symbol of the Islam religion.

Well, the crescent moon with a star in between the points, but a crescent moon nonetheless.
Which the shield and blocks had:

I personally like the Gerudo symbol replacing it. It ties them in with Zelda lore more.

Mewter

Smash Master
I think my favorite temple would probably be the earth (?) temple from Wind Waker.
So much fun running around with the tiny tree ****** and the Deku Leaf.

Top Bottom