• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the greatest/mysterious phenomenon?

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Yeah, sure ^^.

What I meant, though, is that if it's on CD or something(where it is stored in 1s and 0s).

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
CDs encoded in MP3s and then the files are stored to the CDs. The process is pretty cool. But digital sound is mostly different formats of the same thing.

Guitar FX Schematics

Pretty easy to build. I may make one in the future.

XXII

Smash Cadet
The human spirit, not exacly in a religious sense, but how humans have always been willing to suffer and die for something they believe in. I find that amazing.

Also, the way the planet Earth is designed. How every life form needs water, and that there's a renewable supply of it, and how some life forms live off of plants, which is a renewable supply also. Not only that, but the plants also recycle oxygen! Gravity, space, and time. It makes me wonder how some atheists can somehow believe that all of this came from nothing, for no reason

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
XXII said:
It makes me wonder how some atheists can somehow believe that all of this came from nothing, for no reason
My personal belief is that the Atheist, by destroying God in his mind, gives himself the power of God. He tells himself god did not make the world, but rather he created the world through his own perception of it, and without him there would be no world, no universe, nothing.

then again maybe that's just the psychotic egomaniac. Either way, I still think people's subconcious intention of destroying god is to satisfy a desire for power.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Does any one find phenomena itself kinda strange, I think its kinda weird that we should expect something to happen or at least expect some stimuli that is indicative of "something" happening.

nin10do_revolution

Smash Journeyman
Currently with Zelda (Move over, Link, Zelda don't
I think black holes are something of an enigma. I wonder what is inside a black hole. I know that it has infinite density and zero mass, but is it really a dense, matterless hole in space, or a vacuum leading to another dimension? Also, the question of whether or not humans have a soul is a mystery to me. I want to say yes, but....

Those are some phenomenons to me.

Legomaxx

Smash Journeyman
I have always wondered how much of history we have actually missed. Like i wondered how much vital pieces of history were destroyed and could have been used to link certain mysteries together. Like who built Stonehenge, how did the egyptians use advanced mathematics to make the plans for the pyramids, and did they use help?, things like that....

Legomaxx

Smash Journeyman
Philly.Fresh said:
I think it is the Lachupracabra , whats up with that?
I have wondered how La Chupacabra got its name...i mean it literally translates to "the goatsucker".

RJC

Smash Cadet
nin10do_revolution said:
I think black holes are something of an enigma. I wonder what is inside a black hole. I know that it has infinite density and zero mass, but is it really a dense, matterless hole in space, or a vacuum leading to another dimension? Also, the question of whether or not humans have a soul is a mystery to me. I want to say yes, but....

Those are some phenomenons to me.
Black Holes are VERY interesting-- they have DO have mass though since density is mass/volume; it's just that there is so much stuff crammed into- basically- nothing.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
i always wonder why God does the things he does. but hey, he's a lot wiser than me. also i wonder about the low quality of Saturday morning cartoons nowadays, they stink big time

F8X

Smash Ace
The ideals of man ,our future ,and outer space

and Micheal Jackson
I think I solved how he though of his look, when he was a little boy he saw chiitychitty bangbang and liked how one character looked (child catcher)
http://www.dhfurniss.eurobell.co.uk/childcatcher.jpg
http://www.vh1.com/shared/media/images/movies/people/j/jackson_michael/150x223.jpg

But serisoly the history of man intreages me the most, along with space
The impact that we will have on our universe will not be big(Red shift), but it wil be intresting to see the future

GManNickG

Smash Cadet
RJC said:
Black Holes are VERY interesting-- they have DO have mass though since density is mass/volume; it's just that there is so much stuff crammed into- basically- nothing.

Or for the technical freaks like me:

D=M/V

Take the limit as V approaches zero from the right:

D = LIM V->0+ M/V

D = infinity

The End

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
- the seemingly limitless deaths of the human psyche
- the concept of infinity/eternity (when you really try to think about it)
- going further with that, on God, if God was always there (from the beginning to the end), when was the beginning? How long did God "wait" to create anything? But if God was always there, could it even be measured in years? (questions such as these that we could never hope to answer with our limited understanding)
- the concept of time travel and how so much as a change in one blade of grass could dramatically effect everything
- the unknown depths of the ocean, and stuff like this

ak47

Smash Journeyman
um well i think really its they way ppl get pulled into the music they listen to like ppl who listen to rap want to be gangsta's / or ppl who listen to heavy metal wit outlisten to wat there acully say and think ur suppose to be crazy and cut ur rist's and **** thats just weird.

RJC

Smash Cadet
GManNickG said:

D=M/V

D = LIM V->0+ M/V

D = infinity
The End
Umm, it's not really correct to say that because M is dependent of V-- in other words, as the volume decreases, so does the mass (realistically). And if you say "well, as the volume approaches 0, the density increases to infinity" then that would also be incorrect because that would assume: Density does NOT equal infinity when V is greater thanl 0. It MIGHT be like the limit of x as it approaches 0 of the function (sin x)/x. At first glance, it may seem that it approaches inifinity (it approaches '1'). Also, have infinite density is tantamount to saying light travels infinitely fast; light puts a universal restriction on how fast something can travel-- black holes put a universal restriction on how dense an object can be.

- going further with that, on God, if God was always there (from the beginning to the end), when was the beginning? How long did God "wait" to create anything? But if God was always there, could it even be measured in years? (questions such as these that we could never hope to answer with our limited understanding)
This is my reasoning/opinion: The big bang is science's explanation of God creating the universe. But.. What happened before the big bang? Nothing! You have to remember that God created the universe-- so therefore, God created time. Before he did this time, space, matter-- nothing existed! but since we can't imagine a place without time or space, we won't have a chance to understand it until we die.

AK47, that is a good question.. i wonder if people would choose to listen to the same music if they weren't influenced by their friends or what gets played on the radio.. I'm a rap/rock person, but I only like the stuff that makes sense to me.

ak47

Smash Journeyman
GManNickG said:

D=M/V

D = LIM V->0+ M/V

D = infinity

The End

D = LIM V->0+ M/V / wat exactly is lim cause i dont know the rest is pretty simple

RJC

Smash Cadet
Limits are useful to describe discontinuous, piecewise, and some absolute value functions. What Gman is trying to say is that: as the volume decreases to zero, the density increases to infinity. Since M/zero is undefined, we say "take the limit of the volume as it gets closer and closer to zero". Like I said before, you don't really need to say it, because

1. It implies that m/v isn't infinity already
2. The density is infinite no matter what, so it doesn't matter what "v" equals. If v=1 unit, d=infinity.. if v=2 units, then d=infinity. Limits aren't needed to describe it.

If you still don't understand limits, here is a good example to help you

Y= X/X

Now most people would say "Oh, that cancels to 1" and they would be correct. But many forget to put this stipulation after they cancel. Y= 1 x doesn't equal 0 Now, since we don't have a value for x=0 (since 0/0 is undefined), we can take the limit to figure it out. since we know that it's a horizontal line, the limit of the function as x approaches 0 is 1.

Tada!

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Yes, calculus is rather phenomenal as well. However, if the limit is Zero doesn't that mean the density will never actually Reach Zero. Or are you using the limit to identify a trend that would clue you in on the true value of m/v [when v=0]? I'm just beginning Calculus, so my understanding is limited.

But does a black hole actually have zero volume? If that's so then doesn't that prove that dividing by zero is possible, but math teachers just avoid it because it would slowly destroy the fabric of space-time?

XXII

Smash Cadet
I think the most mysterious phenomenon is that some people spend their whole lives cheating on every test, homework, and project they're assigned, and everybody tells them they'll regret it later, but they just don't listen and keep taking the easy way out til they get into the real world and discover that they wasted their life.

That also goes for the jocks who believe that being a starter for a high school team means that they should spend their entire life trying to go pro.

I just really can't understand how some people refuse to learn, even when they're told it's gonna help them in the long run

RJC

Smash Cadet
Resting_Fox said:
Yes, calculus is rather phenomenal as well. However, if the limit is Zero doesn't that mean the density will never actually Reach Zero. Or are you using the limit to identify a trend that would clue you in on the true value of m/v [when v=0]? I'm just beginning Calculus, so my understanding is limited.

But does a black hole actually have zero volume? If that's so then doesn't that prove that dividing by zero is possible, but math teachers just avoid it because it would slowly destroy the fabric of space-time?
It's like I said, there is NO reason at all to use limits. Black Holes do NOT have 0 volume, so forget that limits were even mentioned because they don't describe anything special here. IF the density of a black hole change as the volume changed, then MAYBE you could use limits to describe the density in relation to m/v. But since every clump of matter is as dense as every other clump of matter in a black hole, the density of the entire thing is proportional. In general, it's best to forget that limits were even mentioned.

I think the most mysterious phenomenon is that some people spend their whole lives cheating on every test, homework, and project they're assigned, and everybody tells them they'll regret it later, but they just don't listen and keep taking the easy way out til they get into the real world and discover that they wasted their life.

That also goes for the jocks who believe that being a starter for a high school team means that they should spend their entire life trying to go pro.

I just really can't understand how some people refuse to learn, even when they're told it's gonna help them in the long run.
That is kind of amazing, but you have to remember that there are some people who need to learn by experiencing things for themselves. And then there are the exceptions; some people ARE successful even though they cheated n stuff during school (but i can't name any). If jocks have talent, they should try to achieve their goals.

I think Math is really amazing too, RF. How could we come up with such abstract ways to look at the world? Modern Algebra, Number Theory, Calculus, Number Logic-- numbers aren't even part of reality, yet they are used to describe the universe big and small

Devil's Advocate

Smash Cadet
I think the concept behind the matrix movies is pretty fun to ponder. All we can know has been derived from what our senses detect and how we interpret them. If something could alter that process, than it certainly would be possible that everything we know is false... which in itself is contradicting because that thought would be false yet calculated as well. This could most readily be explained by John Locke's idea of tabula rasa. Some say space is the final frontier, but in reality, we know precious little about our own mind that created that opinion.

Weird.

Ragamuffin Raptor

Smash Cadet
The flying car you can find on Google Maps. There's actually been an official investigation launched about it, but they could never come up with anything logical to explain it. The most likely explanation people think of, is that it's another black car... but it's lacking the features of the low quality cars near it... Of course, no one really knows what it was, so it will always remain the infamous flying car.

noob-lube69

Smash Journeyman
Devil's Advocate said:
Also I think one of the most mysterious phenomena is that a student with a 4.2 taking 3 AP courses in high school is still only ranked 28th in his class.
it's cuz you suck

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
The inner workings of one's mind. Like, why they choose the things they do, and why they maintain a certain logic about different things.. I mean, why do people kill other people? Pretty baffling once you get into it.

bolinp78

Smash Apprentice
Toomin said:
How about Paris Hilton becoming famous? Doesn't anyone else find that incredibly unlikely? Her only talent is being skinny and ugly at the same time.

hahahahaha

I think anything to do with space is good

Top Bottom