• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the best way to practice reaction time, techskill, etc?

Leo Daza

Smash Cadet
I would have to say, play friendlies. If for some reason you have no one to play against, or currently stand no chance against those you do play against (happened to me way back when :( ) you can play against the computer (I recommend 1v1 no items on a neutral stage). The more you use a certain move, the better you will be at timing it right, and sweetspotting with it as well.

As for tech skill, if you mean things like gliding and tether recovery, you can practice them in training at first to get used to how they work a bit, then going on normal matches.

Hope this helps.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Pretty much...experience helps a ton in this department. You could also practice specifics in the game, like spacing (I count that as a form of tech skill) you could try and just go into training mode and try to land the tip of whatever move. Etc etc. SuSa said it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I practiced reaction time in Melee by trying to perfect shield Fox's lasers.

Idk, do stuff like that.
Learn to chain grab with Ice Climbers, catch items being throw at you with Z, etc.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
Sometime people confuse reaction time with anticipation, which is gained through experience.

Craeter

Smash Apprentice
Sometime people confuse reaction time with anticipation, which is gained through experience.
Also you can't really 'react' to fast moves like jabs and tilts though you can to some smashes etc, to react to those fast ones its more anticipation than anything else such as thinking your opponent is about to utilt you or grab you etc.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Play something that forces you to need faster reaction time than Brawl usually does, you'll eventually be able to read and react to things much faster. Playing SF4 competitive has drastically improved my game in Brawl.

Brawl doesn't actually need any technical practice once you get past the basics, you just have to get better at reading people and reacting - which you can do by playing any competitive game, so just find something fast that you enjoy.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
lol SF4 doesnt accomplish it, SF3 does. play that instead if you want to practice anticipating your opponent or play SF ALPHA.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Reaction time- Try to learn to consistently SDI out of MK's Fair and Ftilts. Also practice SDIing random character Jabs (trust me, it sounds useless, but it's amazingly helpful). I've been practicing that a lot recently and the results have been dramatic.

Tech Skill- Go blow yourself up and try to tech as high of a % as you can from different angles in either a duelist like stage, or just as Snake on various stages.

Having a good sense of prediction IMO is more important than tech skill/reaction time for Brawl since there is only so far you can go humanly with a controller. Good prediction usually comes with practice and experience, or even advice from others that makes you see a matchup/the game in a different light to where you now understand what to do.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Special Brawl
Fast
Angled camera

Pick a stage like Yoshi's Island (melee) where you can stay out of bounds and not get hit by sudden death bombs

Timed match- 1 minute
Wait 1 minute

Move other char out of bomb spawn radius

Survive.

UberMario

Smash Master
Play Super Sudden Death on Hyrule Temple with hammers only while exclusively standing in the enclosed space.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Tech Skill- Go blow yourself up and try to tech as high of a % as you can from different angles in either a duelist like stage, or just as Snake on various stages.
under side of temple, no platforms, C4 only

is the way to go

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
There's not much that you can train by yourself, but there is pretty good stuff that you can train, but useless if you don't have somebody that you can try it eventually.

Get bowser ou ganondorf in battlefield and just move yourself trough the stage. Possibly you will gain a lot more agillity with the others. Try to jump over the plataforms and preform some nice setups, or just try to imagine an situation and mindgame yourself. That can be really hard, but it should help you.

Than get an Really fast character put it on Final Destination agains an "Evasion" CPU. Force urself on hit the character 100%. If you miss it, punish yourself with something. That might help your accuracy.

Get your main character and search for it's better counterpicks, in those stages, train your AT's (advanced techs) and don't see it as a bad thing to train, try to be joyful on doing these things. You'll see the diference when you face another opponent.

As i said b4, it's useless to train those things if you don't train your mindgame against real people, and being online can be helpful (not apropriate, but useful) the best thing you can do is to show up on camps and traingn against good people.
Seach for good videos (not combo videos, they don't show nothing) and try to do the same x)

I don't have brothers that can help me do my traning, and finally i could share my experiences x~

C ya.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
It becomes a reflex by just playing the game and making a habit of one thing at a time.

...Why is this in Brawl tactical discussion anyway?

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
Play "inside" Temple and tech your *** off those walls.

Reaction time is good to just play friendlies and do your best to never get hit. 3 stock someone without getting hit once, you'll be on the right track. Online might work for predicting moves.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
This might be surprising to you, but that isn't witty or clever in the slightest.

You're just wasting posts trying to make a point that no one cares for (besides other people like you, in which case all you're trying to do is draw attention to yourself due to failures to get it elsewhere).

But anyway, don't be silly mmkay? ^_^
Try to contribute to the actual topic.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
MVC2 at a high level is flat out ******** if you are talking about reaction timings/tech skill.

Top Bottom