• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is mario's best move??

zaborg2400

Smash Cadet
I was just really curious as to what some of my fellow Mario mainers used more often then others. In your opinion, what move(s) are Mario's BEST move(s)??

I prefer Nair, Bair and D Smash. This of course includes cape and fludd whenever necessary.
Please help me out, i am dying of curiosity.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
U-airs are really epic. At low percents you can repeatedly U-air people until they get to about 60% since diminishing returns will make it combo into itself. Also they have deceptively good range, and you can easily do two in a short hop.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
As stated above Uair's work wonders. Besides Uairs, Bairs also work in a similar way so it's a good move IMO.
U-airs however are faster and have an overall bigger hitbox. B-airs are also MUCH harder to SH double aerial (you can, it's just harder).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I personally would say the cape and Bair only because I've never really considered chaining Uairs against people. There is this one string of attacks I like to do at low percentages that sometimes uses two Uairs (dthrow, utilt, utilt, utilt, usmash, uair, and bair or uair) but I hardly even use more then two in a row.

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
Low percentages: U-tilt. Mid percentages: chained u-airs. High percentages: f-smash. Also, Upsmash is good against light characters and people that like to roll a lot because Mario swings his head back before releasing the hit.

E-unit

Smash Cadet
I personally use all the moves in his arsenal.

-fireball=> approach and to stall for time while thinking
-cape=> reflect, gimp, air stall, and spin enemies
-F.L.U.D.D.=>push back for spacing, gimping, and to deflect or push items (if items are on), and cancel projectiles.
-Super Jump punch (upB)=> to combo break!! ya!!!, and to recover

I use the A attacks for mostly the same reason everyone uses them to. But my favorite smash attack for Mario is the Dsmash. And I love the Dair (have to use in every match). Utilt is favorite tilt.

fazares

Smash Apprentice
at high percents(100% and above)i use:f-air,n-air(first frames),b-air,u-air(reverse u-air too),,f-smash,u-smash and d-smash....to get my kills...
marios ko potential is definitively larger compared to his ssbm self...

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
Cape is a good move but its no where close from being the best move in the game. if i see a mario just caping away ill just jump in the air and dair his brains out, or say for im using a character like wolf, mk, or zelda, i see a mario just abusing the cape ill just dsmash and bye bye mario.
And for racking up damage, please its a 8% damage move mk's mach tornado is a move to rack up damage and that does how much damage? 17% for a complete tornado. mario's dair is a damage racker and a combo starter. and how does he stay away from his opponent? by making them face the other direction?
A mastered mario would use the cape not as a damage Dealer, but as a way to get in a free smash for the ko. go ahead and like the move for all i care but its not in any way shape or form a efficient damage dealer.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
eh I agree with peachkid.. cape is good in all. But c'mon now. cape doesn't beat all the moves in this game. just think about it. >_>

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
ok which move is better? no disrespect
Ill list a few of his better moves in terms of damage racker and ko moves

Fsmash: it has good knockback power and its marios best ko moves if not abused

Dair: Good move in order to rack up damage, surely better than the cape for damage.

Uair: Great Combo move. a good mario can chain this move together very well and then possibly spike and kill with a fair.

Fireball: This is a move to keep your opponent away from you. it disrupts and annoys the crap out of the person getting toasted. plus you can jump, shoot a fireball and then retreat all in one move!

fazares

Smash Apprentice
if u meant his best finishing attack thats his f-smash...since ssbm...:-)followed by:
u-smash(way better priority than ssbm)
d-smash(slightly better range than ssbm)
f-air(fist above mario head=horizontal knockback)
b-air(better knockback...kill move at high percents but not as much comboable at low percents as the old ssbm one)
n-air(first frames,slightly better knockback than his old ssbm)
u-air(more horizontal knockback(the old one was fully vertical),reverse works good for killing people at high percents too...still as much comboable at low percent as the old one)
u-tilt(can kill but only at very high percents)
d-air(if u get opponents caught in the full tornado u can kill them but only at very high percents)

i meant which special move in da game is better than da cape sinch all smashes can ko besides dair doesnt work on metaknight and kirby on da ground and its hard to control. i use it every now and then as a suprise attack but i dont abuse. i agree da super jump punch is very useful but ill take da cape

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
what move is better? hmmm lets see

Mach tornado
the shines for the spacies
DKs Down B

Zelda's Dins Fire
Snakes Grenades
(im abit iffy about this one) foxs blaster
Snakes C4

and u say the dair is hard to control? explain your reasons on saying that please

marios cape can reflect mach tornado to his death near a cliff
shines are very good but marios cape is unique it doesnt attack it turns around both are very useful but ill take tha cape
in my eyes dks move is only good for those who roll dodge behind u luckily i like to take tha fight to people head on
dins fire is so easy to dodge and can be reflected back at zelda but not recommended to do so unless youre 100% sure it will hit
snakes grenades can be reflected back at him
foxs blaster is super useful but tha cape can also reflect that
snakes c4 is easy just be wary

about tha dair i meant on people like metaknight and kirby who are smaller than mario

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Mario moves that I like the most: Utilt, Cape, Fireball, Uair, Bair, Jab, Dsmash, Fsmash, and F.L.U.D.D.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
marios cape can reflect mach tornado to his death near a cliff
cape vrs tornado: Tornado wins the priority on the nado reaches further than the side b you would need to have very precise timing in order to cape it and it would have to hit with the tip

shines are very good but marios cape is unique it doesnt attack it turns around both are very useful but ill take tha cape
you explained how the shine is better, because it wont matter if u turn them around ur still gonna get hit. for one thing the range on falco's shine is much longer than the cape. shine wins

in my eyes dks move is only good for those who roll dodge behind u luckily i like to take tha fight to people head on
the down b for dk hits so far ahead of him! theres nothing to cape! same goes with falco's shine

dins fire is so easy to dodge and can be reflected back at zelda but not recommended to do so unless youre 100% sure it will hit
its easy to dogde yes, but it cant be reflected and sent back to her, and i can spam spam spam that move and not give a care in the wind. and if they miss i just knock the person im fighting far with one of zeldas many high knockback moves and go dining again, why do u think that the ppl who play zelda on with anyone can win alot? her dins is no where as bad as the melee version and doesnt need as much precise thinking to hit with it

snakes grenades can be reflected back at him
if they are cooked grenades its gonna hit mario, even if he capes it over 9000 times he is gonna get blown up.

foxs blaster is super useful but tha cape can also reflect that
as i said i am iffy about foxes blaster. but u would only beable to reflect a few shots plus u would need to be pretty close to reflect them due to the range nerf.

snakes c4 is easy just be wary
snakes main statagy is to control the stage with grenades mines and c4. if you are trying despreratly to deflect all his grenades (that probably will be cooked and will explode in ur face anyway) ur gonna be steping all over his c4 and he will detonate it, and cape is not gonna help u at all. nothing to deflect, nothing to turn around.

and i still dont understand what u mean, ur just repeating what u said earlier. how is it hard to hit kirby and mk? cause when me and a friend of mine use it we hit them fine

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Cape is good, and the nice thing about F.L.U.D.D. is that is pretty much fills up the holes in the cape and vice versa. No, I'm not one of those Fludd idealists but comeon, you'd have to be braindead not to see that's it's a useful move. Basically, Cape + F.L.U.D.D. = flawless strategy.

youre makin it cape vs all head on peachkid . i meant cape is better for me for tha situation i put people thru wit it, so its better situational for me becuz i have this strategy i wont talk about wit tha cape. anyways about tha mk kirby situation, this is tha last time im sayin it its gettin annoyin repeatin tha same thing. mk and kirby are smaller than mario so its hard to sh dair them and expect to get all tha hits on tha tornado and its possible for them to escape it or dodge out of it since theyre small

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
youre makin it cape vs all head on peachkid . i meant cape is better for me for tha situation i put people thru wit it, so its better situational for me becuz i have this strategy i wont talk about wit tha cape. anyways about tha mk kirby situation, this is tha last time im sayin it its gettin annoyin repeatin tha same thing. mk and kirby are smaller than mario so its hard to sh dair them and expect to get all tha hits on tha tornado and its possible for them to escape it or dodge out of it since theyre small
i said it head on and direct to the facts, becuse u wanted moves that could beat the cape so i gave them to u and put explanation to support my claim. i have not challanged once about ur strategy, what ever works for you. go ahead and do it i dont care, but im pointing out that the cape isnt as good as u say it is.

its getting annoying for u to have to repeat urself? hah! ur the one at fault here cause u did not say why its hard to land a dair on kirby and mk the first time! plus u only asked this question regarding kirby and mk to me once this is ur second time asking me.
well u cant always guarantee to hit with all the hits of a multi hit move on any light character thats just common knowledge. and anyone can dodge a move regardless of size due to the lack of hitstun in brawl plus DI is alot more effective too so u can escape it easier

i said it head on and direct to the facts, becuse u wanted moves that could beat the cape so i gave them to u and put explanation to support my claim. i have not challanged once about ur strategy, what ever works for you. go ahead and do it i dont care, but im pointing out that the cape isnt as good as u say it is.

its getting annoying for u to have to repeat urself? hah! ur the one at fault here cause u did not say why its hard to land a dair on kirby and mk the first time! plus u only asked this question regarding kirby and mk to me once this is ur second time asking me.
well u cant always guarantee to hit with all the hits of a multi hit move on any light character thats just common knowledge. and anyone can dodge a move regardless of size due to the lack of hitstun in brawl plus DI is alot more effective too so u can escape it easier
want me to show you how good tha cape is? you up for a challenge next week?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
sry but even if u can beat peachkid it doesn't prove anything
True that, BO X7. Unfortunately, we're dealing with Mario is the greatest brawler. Using logic won't work until he sees how wrong he is. The cape's only good for edgeguarding. There are better moves besides cape that Mario has at his disposal.

True that, BO X7. Unfortunately, we're dealing with Mario is the greatest brawler. Using logic won't work until he sees how wrong he is. The cape's only good for edgeguarding. There are better moves besides cape that Mario has at his disposal.
what do mean logic wont work on me?bo x7 if you say me beatin peachkid wont prove anything to you then i totally agree. i just wanted to show peachkid how good tha cape was but if nobodys goin to take me seriously then forget it. and yo takeshi whats your problem? if you disagree wit me on how good tha cape is then tell me but dont talk about how logic wont work

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
what do mean logic wont work on me?bo x7 if you say me beatin peachkid wont prove anything to you then i totally agree. i just wanted to show peachkid how good tha cape was but if nobodys goin to take me seriously then forget it. and yo takeshi whats your problem? if you disagree wit me on how good tha cape is then tell me but dont talk about how logic wont work
hey don't get him wrong but Peachkid thinks cape is good. he's just telling u its not the best move, and its not. Cape is actually pretty good. it can cape Mk's nado atleast. But its not better than nado.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
want me to show you how good tha cape is? you up for a challenge next week?
MTGB i have yet Once to say that the cape sucks. if u havent gotten my original arguement drilled into ur head by now then ill quote myself.

Behold my original post!
Cape is a good move but its no where close from being the best move in the game. if i see a mario just caping away ill just jump in the air and dair his brains out, or say for im using a character like wolf, mk, or zelda, i see a mario just abusing the cape ill just dsmash and bye bye mario.
And for racking up damage, please its a 8% damage move mk's mach tornado is a move to rack up damage and that does how much damage? 17% for a complete tornado. mario's dair is a damage racker and a combo starter. and how does he stay away from his opponent? by making them face the other direction?
A mastered mario would use the cape not as a damage Dealer, but as a way to get in a free smash for the ko. go ahead and like the move for all i care but its not in any way shape or form a efficient damage dealer.
Read it well and if u did. did i say that the cape is a bad move? No! i just informed you that even though the cape is a good move it still has flaws thus not making it the best move in the game as you said before i posted! so before getting the assumption that i said the cape sucks. reread some of my posts to check and see if ur claim is true!
like what the others said, beating me in a match will not prove anything. my stance on the cape will not change the slightest no matter how many times you hit me with cape or beat me.

@Takeshi & Bo X7 thank god u guys have intellect in this debate

Top Bottom