• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what is cheapness

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Cheap may be effective, but it's also a very crummy, amateurish, and, in the hands of a "pro," a borderline dishonest way to play. In my opinion, if you can't win without having a full out true fight, and have to rely on easy-way-out, cheap strategies to win, it doesn't matter how many wins you get, you're still not good at the game, you're more like a button masher who managed to win lots of times.
But no one cares who is "good at the game". Wins are what matter in competition. If I can win a tournament with only Link's spin attack, then I will use it. Borderline "dishonest" way to play? You are fabricating the concept of "honor" and "correctness". People can play however they want! Sure, people like you look down on this method of playing, but no one cares.

And you missed my previous post: wavedashing is not a glitch. You do not know what a glitch is.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
But no one cares who is "good at the game". Wins are what matter in competition. If I can win a tournament with only Link's spin attack, then I will use it. Borderline "dishonest" way to play? You are fabricating the concept of "honor" and "correctness". People can play however they want! Sure, people like you look down on this method of playing, but no one cares.

And you missed my previous post: wavedashing is not a glitch. You do not know what a glitch is.
Incorrect. You don't care, not "everyone." Don't project your opinions apon everyone, it's kind of... well... (no offense) ignorant.

Since I never played against you, I can't very well make assumptions about your method of playing, can I?

You can play however you want, but if you play dishonestly then you're probably going to only play against people who think like you, which is probably how you got that attitude,

Wavedashing is an exploit in the function of the game to create an effect that wasn't intended or intentionally programmed into the game. That, my friend, is a glitch, though not a glitch that is of the most severe order. Don't make assumptions about my intelligence.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
You can play however you want, but if you play dishonestly then you're probably going to only play against people who think like you, which is probably how you got that attitude,

Wavedashing is an exploit in the function of the game to create an effect that wasn't intended or intentionally programmed into the game. That, my friend, is a glitch, though not a glitch that is of the most severe order. Don't make assumptions about my intelligence.
What is this "dishonest" method of play you speak of? What am I dishonest about? How does honesty even apply to fighting games?

I will make assumptions about your intelligence because you are making incorrect statements and assuming that I am incorrect on this issue. You are resurrecting a dead discussion, and wavedashing is not a glitch. It is an exploit at worst, but no part of wavedashing falls outside the scope of the programming. If wavedashing is a glitch, then so is ledge-hopping and a whole slew of other typical combos that "Sakurai didn't think of".

D

Deleted member

Incorrect. You don't care, not "everyone." Don't project your opinions apon everyone, it's kind of... well... (no offense) ignorant.

Since I never played against you, I can't very well make assumptions about your method of playing, can I?

Ugggg. Wavedashing isnt a glitch, read buzz's blog. What is playing dishonest?

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Wavedashing is an exploit.

Exploits don't guarantee 100% win. They are controlled variables. However, Glitches most defiantly can.

D

Deleted member

Another way to put this is "people despise you for being pathetic and wasting time learning how to exploit flaws in the game's programming and then pretending to be superior to people who have actual lives". :laugh:
Wow, u are rly dumb. You know sugarpoultry is married? I guess she doesnt have a life, because she knows advanced techniques, right SP ;)

Saor Gael

Smash Apprentice
You are comparing real world warfare to video game competition? You truly are a scrub.
Congratulations! My entire post went over your head!

Wow, u are rly dumb. You know sugarpoultry is married? I guess she doesnt have a life, because she knows advanced techniques, right SP ;)
I'm sorry, your inability to properly write your own language has made it impossible for a literate person to take you seriously.

For the sake of argument, simply being married doesn't really mean one has a "life". :laugh: Life entails you spend your time doing things other than spending dozens or hundreds of hours mastering a single video game.

BTW, 'dumb' isn't what you were actually meaning. You meant ignorant. Please learn your own language.

I feel this quote speaks for itself.

Wavedashing isnt a glitch, read buzz's blog. What is playing dishonest?
Wavedashing is exploiting a flaw in the physics engine. I expect that's why they removed it. It was just the unintended consequences of the way the game works. The only difference between it and glitches/bugs is that it's not considered game-breaking by tournament goers.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
For the sake of argument, simply being married doesn't really mean one has a "life". :laugh: Life entails you spend your time doing things other than spending dozens or hundreds of hours mastering a single video game.
Well the same could be said about anything. If you spend huge amounts of times learning about a sport(player statistics, strategies, different plays, rules, player names) and then spend your time watching, playing said sport, you obviously have no life. Because instead of spending dozens or hundreds of hours on just one sport, you could be out having a life. Or sex.

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry, but insulting people's grammer doesn't make you sound smart. Kthxbai.

Edit: I love you pink reaper.

Saor Gael

Smash Apprentice
Well the same could be said about anything. If you spend huge amounts of times learning about a sport(player statistics, strategies, different plays, rules, player names) and then spend your time watching, playing said sport, you obviously have no life. Because instead of spending dozens or hundreds of hours on just one sport, you could be out having a life. Or sex.
Perhaps, but at least that involves many other people, and, you know, actual movement. :laugh: Lame example.

I'm sorry, but insulting people's grammer doesn't make you sound smart. Kthxbai.
No, but your inability to properly use grammar certainly makes you look very ignorant.

Link he come to town...

Smash Apprentice
IMO cheapness is something broken, such as infinites *cough wobbling*. If there is a way to get around it then it's not cheap, you can't really get around being infinited because once you're in you don't get out. Spamming something (link's spin attack) isn't really cheap because you could always just shield it and then attack or wait for the massive opening at the end of the attack. Wavedashing wasn't meant to be in the game but it isn't really cheap it's alot like unrestricted running.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
lolz you have no life
Dude, this is a videogame forum. >_>

Don't worry, though. I think about the same way when people know useless trivia, get good at sports, and know something about their hobbies. These people have no lives.

Edit: Wow, I think Saor is the first person to realize that there are no people at tournies and you simply cannot be friends with people at tournies when there is no one at the tournies. Good job, sir/mam. Your observations are definitely one of an enlightened man.

D

Deleted member

Perhaps, but at least that involves many other people, and, you know, actual movement. :laugh: Lame example.
You are on an internet board mainly for competative smash. I wouldnt insult smash here.

No, but your inability to properly use grammar certainly makes you look very ignorant.
Did you just ignore what i said... *facepalm*
Those were some good comebacks...

Saor Gael

Smash Apprentice
I have to assume the fact that you equate playing smash to being alone that you have no friends. Im sorry, would you like to be friends so your not alone?
Sure, be my buddy. :laugh: At least you have a sense of humour, even if we disagree.

I play with other people. My point is video games are not a cultural thing. They don't add to a culture, or really take part in it. They're sort of anti-culture, outside it. It's not something to be inordinately proud of to master a game at the expense of other things.

I won't respond beyond this. There's no "winning" in an online debate, especially if some of the people in it are nearly illiterate.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
So. . .your execuse is. . . .that society doesn't view game positively so no one should?

Awesome. I don't think any entertainment medium doesn't add to culture either. ESPECIALLY electronic things because there is no way that they can do anything worthy of our rich American culture..

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
You know, Saor Gael, insulting an entire forum isn't really a great way to get people to listen to your side.

D

Deleted member

Sure, be my buddy. :laugh: At least you have a sense of humour, even if we disagree.

I play with other people. My point is video games are not a cultural thing. They don't add to a culture, or really take part in it. They're sort of anti-culture, outside it. It's not something to be inordinately proud of to master a game at the expense of other things.

I won't respond beyond this. There's no "winning" in an online debate, especially if some of the people in it are nearly illiterate.
He's right, i am illiterate, since obviously spelling grammar wrong means i cant read or write. You can believe what you want about video games, i don't really care. I play, i have fun, that's all. I don't really care if u think that its wrong to be good at a game.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Nobody has still answered why they nerfed kirby and ness. When this issue comes to the makers of the game, it seems they follow the balancing issue, and not the "play to win" attitude.
Try as I might to escape this relentless vortex of ignorance, I just can't keep quiet about this.

Ness and Kirby were much worse in Melee than in the original because the developers believed them to be overpowered and took it upon themselves to try to balance them, which they obviously failed at.

Developers never think of the "play to win" attitude. Who the **** cares what they feel is cheap or not? This discussion concerns simply whether cheap is a valid term inside the competitive community, which it isn't seeing as how anything that is near impossible to overcome or otherwise hampers the possibility of tournament matches to determine who the better player is is banned.

I think it's time for Mother Johns, whose loins can apparently bear fruit forever, to be killed. I wish people would just learn to learn, and keep their mouths shut until they understand why they suck and what they can do to improve.

Spottswoode

Smash Rookie
One time when I was playing Melee, my friend chose Yoshi. He stood next to the edge, and when I approached, he turned me into an egg and got a 0% kill. You know what I did, rather than complaining? I never engaged him near the edge, unless I used a better approach that made it hard for him to use the egg move, and I ended up winning the match. (I think it was stock with 5 lives.)

I played another friend, and I chose Link. He instantly began to inform me that Link's Up B is the cheapest move in the game because of the area it covers. So I didn't use Link's spin at all unless I needed it to recover. I still won, and he called me cheap for abusing Link's Dair.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Wavedashing is an exploit.

Exploits don't guarantee 100% win. They are controlled variables. However, Glitches most defiantly can.
Fair enough. I've been wrong before, though I'd rather listen to the person who doesn't use insults to prove that someone is incorrect.

In any case, I feel like, as always people are only paying attention to the part of what they said that they can dispute, than what I said as a whole, sort of that whole there's only Black/White, never shades of grey.

I will make assumptions about your intelligence because you are making incorrect statements and assuming that I am incorrect on this issue. You are resurrecting a dead discussion, and wavedashing is not a glitch. It is an exploit at worst, but no part of wavedashing falls outside the scope of the programming. If wavedashing is a glitch, then so is ledge-hopping and a whole slew of other typical combos that "Sakurai didn't think of".
You make assumptions about my intelligence, and yet you only base your opinion off of an admittedly wrong statement (as if a person cannot be wrong), and a single word, "dishonest," which admittedly, might not have been the best word to use.

However, had you actually read all that I said, you would note that I never actually attacked anyone, my point was that, although cheap tactics can be overcome and are very simple, no person who uses such tactics should ever be surprised at being called out, though I suppose at the word "dishonest" all sorts of bells and whistles went off.

So, really, you should learn the lesson you tried to tell me (through insult), know what you're talking about before you open your **** mouth.

In any case, I realized that I fell into a flamewar between tournement players and casuals, and got sucked in myself (something I promised myself I wouldn't do), so I'm removing myself from this.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
ssb 64 + kirby

in ssbm... well, i hate someone i know who ONLY DOES IS THROWING THINGS WITH Y: LINK ALLLLLL OVER THE STAGE (final destination) AND RUN... He only attacks when i'm at 220% -_-U

And he thinks is pro u_uU

Zellsfalco

Smash Apprentice
I am very glad that my simple prompt started this questioning, bickering, and thought that many of you haven't tapped into for quite some time now.

I will think of more.

Also on the cheap thing I only asked due to my weak friends that play with me and I cant stand it when they have to team on me to even get close to beating me, or when they refuse to play due to my skill with completely legit characters. To tell the truth it makes me laugh when they throw stuff and start to yell.
WTH? are you serious? I could care less about ur jigg's strat. it's not necessarily cheap but annoying. her hits just about over prioritizes every move i make but i still don't get angry, but again annoyed. It actually feels cool to play someone that gives me a challenge until of course u switch chars.. it makes me try just that much harder each time i play. it's better than practicing with lame cpu's or my crappy bro lol.

Edit: Weak Friends ehh???

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
With my experiences with less experienced players, I have gleaned the following truth:

Something is cheap if it allows you to win over someone else.

For instance, I've been told that I'm cheap because I can use a standing dodge/grab combo to win in Sudden Death. Would you consider it cheap if I did that to you? I wouldn't, because that is how the game is meant to be played.

Personally, I find almost anything fair game. Though, there was this guy at AMA last year who camped at Hyrule Temple and spammed Jigg's Rest, and claimed he was the best player at the convention for it. Something like that? No variety in your technique at all? I find THAT cheap, and that's the ONLY thing I find cheap, because it takes away from the depth the game is supposed to have.

I find it ironic that he claimed that I was being cheap when I won after the group decided to pick a new stage.

Coselm

Smash Ace
You are cheap (or possess cheapness) if you are better than and/or pwn me.

Edit:

No but seriously...

Think about it like this:

A girl is cheap if you don't have to do a whole lot to get her in bed.

Someone is cheap if they can KO you with minimal effort.

But... let's take a second glance...

A lot of girls that you wouldn't usually consider cheap may succumb to an attractive man (or woman in some cases) and become cheap even if just for a night for that person. I call this the "Brad Pitt" syndrome.

Looking at smash with this same point of view, someone with more skill may always be cheap in a less skilled players' eyes.

In my opinion, cheap is just a word someone uses when they are frustrated because they can't win.

Top Bottom