• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is cheap!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdk

Smash Lord
The only tactic close to being considered cheap I can think of is playing as DK in Flatzone and grabbing your opponent from anywhere on the floor, carrying them over to the edge of the stage and chucking them. Easy kills.

All other tactics are fine, your friend just needs to learn that fact and get use to it.
name one character without easy methods of scoring FZ side kills

Smash Master
Ironically, Game and Watch.

Cheap does exist in this game. Shine is cheap, Marth's sephiroth sword is cheap, Wobbling is cheap. Peach's iron dress is cheap. Cheap is an integral component of every game, though, and exploiting cheap makes the game fun, so long as one character cannot outcheap all the rest of the characters to too great a degree (*ahem Ice Climbers)

Hotshot

Smash Rookie
name one character without easy methods of scoring FZ side kills
I meant how DK can grab you from the center of the stage, walk you over to the edge and throw you, even if you have like 0% damage.

I've pulled it off heaps of times when I didn't feel much like fighting. Great way to piss people off.

Thino

Smash Master
I meant how DK can grab you from the center of the stage, walk you over to the edge and throw you, even if you have like 0% damage.

I've pulled it off heaps of times when I didn't feel much like fighting. Great way to piss people off.
people you play just don't know how to escape it when you grab them

Aiko

Smash Champion
Cheap: something of low monetary value. Usually something you can afford more than one of.

Hey by that definition, you should do it more.

shadepaw

Smash Apprentice
I used to think the c-stick was cheap. Then I used it. Now I find it hard to play without it.

Tell this guy to try it, and if he doesn't see how it will make him better, keep doing it to punish him until he does find it good, or stops playing the game. When he stops seeing it as cheap, he will be good. If he stops playing the game. That's one noob down, a helluva lot more to go.

MooseMan

Smash Rookie
Try chainthrowing ur friend ..

Your friend is what most people would call a noob... i'm sorry but it's true. You can't be cheap in super smash bros. You either win or you lose. Their's no, "but your character was better than mine," or, " but you have that cheap move." It's not cheap. If you think it's cheap be someone else to OWN! him. Personally, I found Falco owns everyone.

By the way, knocking someone of the edge while their trying to get back on is called intercepting. This is commonly used in tournaments as well as friendly play.

mangler

Smash Cadet
sadly nothing in (videogames) is cheap you in it to win it but there are illegal things in tournements but other than that do what you must to win

Giggidax

Smash Ace
A friend of mine keeps telling me that knocking people back off the edge when there coming back is cheap but i think its a normal aspect of playing the game i need some other players opinions on this so if anyone can help me plz.
PS. also he thinks attacking when u have the invincibilty from right after you die is cheap as well as hitting an opponent when there using their fighter stance. he is also a very good player so i dont think hes a noob but i think he needs to realize these are normal ways to play.
Wats a fighter stance? do u mean the taunt?

edgeguarding is by no means cheap. and neither is taking advantage of ur invincibility.

"Cheap" is a word used by frustrated people.

i can name something in SSBM that is cheap tho.. wanna know? Shiek.

shadepaw

Smash Apprentice
kirbicide him :)
Exactly what I was gonna say. Kirbycide him the whole match, and make it your only method of killing him. Intercept him in the air for a kirbycide. Kill him in your respawn invincibility with a kirbycide. Kirbycide him until he realizes that it is not cheap. Unfair and repetitive maybe, but not cheap.

The only thing I find cheap is overkill, and it also happens to be the most fun as well.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
unfair = cheap? i thought they meant the same thing. or maybe i just have a different vocabulary lol

but how is overkill cheap? ur dead anyway, why not go for some fun ownage?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Hey, think about it like this. If someone is doing something you consider cheap, it's most likely spamming a projectile, one move, or going for glitzy edgeguards/spikes. That makes them a one aspect player. By playing cheap, they rely on one strategy, while all you need is one way to break theirs, and they are finished. Multi faceted people own one dimensionals anyday.

Edit: Fighter's Stance is the title the game has given to using the taunt as a 1 Player match ends (or a bonus match, but who plays those...), and some people call it the taunt the Fighter's Stance. But it's like calling an ice cube a "temperature regulating device". Superfluously wordy XD

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'm just speaking out of the experience of playing with two peach players in my area. One spams turnips and one is a D-Smash addict. You jsut learn to work around stuff like that.

mangler

Smash Cadet
There are things that are cheap, it doesn't have to be in-game cheapness, simply because there is no such thing. Cheap as in smacking the controller out of your opponet's hand or disconnecting their controller.

Actually there is one in-game cheap effectiveness.

Pause barraging for the win.
turn off pause

but the only things that are cheap are mods and unpluging the controller and crap along those lines but if the game naturally lets you and any one else do it its just another thing to use like the ice climers and wabbling and dk/kirby for grab suicide

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
In almost every legit tournament pressing pause will either A.) Instantly forfeit the match, or B.) Give you some sort of stock penalty. IF, pause is even on.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
I have a question as well.

I use ness, my friends use fox and shiek. Now, just looking at that match-up, I'm at a disadvantage. Everytime they die when I edgehog, they get mad and call it cheap. I try to make the arguement that it isn't cheap because every character can do it. How is something like that cheap? It's a part of the game. Not everyone can use projectiles, so is using them cheap as well (I don't think it is, just trying to prove a point to them)? They seem to like to make up their own rules sometimes. So is edgehogging cheap? I think not, i'd like an opinion about that.

As well as another thing, we were having team battles. Again they were on a team as Fox and Shiek, and I was on a team with Ness (myself) and Gannondorf. We actually had a nice streak going until they got mad, picked a Samus and Peach combo. I try to tell them to turn friendly fire on, since it adds strategy no matter what, no go. So they proceed to spam missiles and turn-ups all day pissing us off. We lost that time, and beat them the next round, but just barely. Is that a lame way to do things or is that perfectly acceptable?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
If they spam projectiles, you can "be cheap" and use fox, reflect their missiles and turn-ups, and shine spike them, then shine them off, then shine them again while they're recovering. Shine them till they cry, till they throw the controllers, but most of all, till they call you cheap.

My final argument is there is nothing that is cheap, there is stuff that is really annoying, or even hard to overcome, but winners adjust.

Edit: Kudos for using Ness. I main basically top tiers, but I love busting up the tier lists as often as I can at local stuff with Kirby, Ness, GaW, and Bowser.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
Yea, I really love Ness. Lately I've been trying to get a good Marth going to show them that there are characters with more advantages than others. "Why would the creators put characters in a game that aren't totally balanced?" they say, to them I say the creators don't know how people will play the characters at a pro level. No matter what, they always seem to have some comeback to what I say that I view as weak.

there are only a few characters that I seem to be good/decent/have fun at with very little practice, those being Ness and Marth for now.

On topic, like what was said, very few things are cheap. Some things may be incredibly lame, like some of the examples people, including I gave, it just depends how tolerable you are, if you can overcome it before giving up.

Private Zulen

Smash Apprentice
What's cheap? Falco/Fox, in my opinion. Despite the ease of use, his rapid kick thing (and all of his smashes) can hit full circle save for below you or under/behind you. Short jump spam, as well as a aerial downsmash that renders you completely useless if you're off the edge, an up-B that does an unnecesarily high amount of damage and distance, and is powerful and fast in just about every aspect.

Personally, there are people like Bombsoldier who actually play as them, but I find the majority of players to just use the C-stick for the entire match until they win.

Secondly, I've always thought Samus's fsmash was cheap, because it's reach surpasses the actual length of her arm, which always throws me off. Not really, cheap, per se, but some pretty lazy modeling.

Thirdly, Marth.

Fourthly, chain-grabbing.

That's about it. Despite my scrubbing, these are easily overlooked problems, and I can usually take on even the cheapest of Marth's and Fox's, but the majorities of the particulars bother me.

mangler

Smash Cadet
99% of you guys are dumb for not listing to my last post (the ones that read it) it logically makes sense and declares what is cheap ask any pro/semi pro they would agree with me and every thing i said im done posting on this ******** threat that should not exist because when you talk about what is and is not cheap no one who is a pro/semi pro does not post here NOOBS:newbie:

mangler

Smash Cadet
What's cheap? Falco/Fox, in my opinion. Despite the ease of use, his rapid kick thing (and all of his smashes) can hit full circle save for below you or under/behind you. Short jump spam, as well as a aerial downsmash that renders you completely useless if you're off the edge, an up-B that does an unnecesarily high amount of damage and distance, and is powerful and fast in just about every aspect.

Personally, there are people like Bombsoldier who actually play as them, but I find the majority of players to just use the C-stick for the entire match until they win.

Secondly, I've always thought Samus's fsmash was cheap, because it's reach surpasses the actual length of her arm, which always throws me off. Not really, cheap, per se, but some pretty lazy modeling.

Thirdly, Marth.

Fourthly, chain-grabbing.

That's about it. Despite my scrubbing, these are easily overlooked problems, and I can usually take on even the cheapest of Marth's and Fox's, but the majorities of the particulars bother me.
you are the 1% of people who is smart and do not take my post to harshly but do not feel to good because i do disagree with some things you say like chain grabbing it is annoying but not cheap like tech grabbing its the same concept

psicicle

Smash Ace
C-stick foxes are cheap until you realize that you can jump above them and attack from there. Or shield and then grab out of it. Or just space yourself since the smashes send the character at a predictable length.

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
The whole game is cheap when people lose it seems. Yes edgeguarding is part of the game. Tell them to learn to recover better instead of right in your smash all the time.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
99% of you guys are dumb for not listing to my last post (the ones that read it) it logically makes sense and declares what is cheap ask any pro/semi pro they would agree with me and every thing i said im done posting on this ******** threat that should not exist because when you talk about what is and is not cheap no one who is a pro/semi pro does not post here NOOBS:newbie:
Yea, we're dumb because we didn't listen to your almighty humble opinion. **** off and grow up, ******.

And for christs sake use some **** commas or periods, makes your ******** rambling easier to read.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
anytime someone posts a topic about what is "cheap" a whole bunch of people actually answer it with something other than "nothing is cheap, learn to play." In the end, this makes all of you look like scrubs. Nothing in this game is really cheap or gamebreaking.

For those upset about wobbling, maybe you're thinking at a higher level than you're playing, because it's not gamebreaking or cheap. Keep your thoughts on "smash theory" to your level of play and don't talk about what's gamebreaking when you can't even do it/have never had it done to you.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
anytime someone posts a topic about what is "cheap" a whole bunch of people actually answer it with something other than "nothing is cheap, learn to play." In the end, this makes all of you look like scrubs. Nothing in this game is really cheap or gamebreaking.

For those upset about wobbling, maybe you're thinking at a higher level than you're playing, because it's not gamebreaking or cheap. Keep your thoughts on "smash theory" to your level of play and don't talk about what's gamebreaking when you can't even do it/have never had it done to you.
Nothing may be cheap, but some stuff can be incredibly lame sometimes, both in-game and the people you play against when they bash you for using tactics like edge-hogging -_-

Smash Master

You're wrong. There are certain manuevers in this game that are fairly simple to execute, yet yield extraordinary resilts. Peach's downsmash is incredibly easy to do. (I've actually had this one done to me, and I've even done it to others, despite my retardtastic noobiness) Peach's downsmash also sends characters off the stage the wrong way, inflicts crazy damage if crouch-cancelled, is disjointed, and comes out in five frames. This is the perfect example of a "cheap" move. There are things that are cheap in this game. However, cheap moves should be abused and exploited for a more entertaining, rewarding gameplay. As long as the move can be realistically countered, then cheap moves should be embraced instead of shunned, especially if one aspires to reach higher level play.

I hope the IC forum never sees what I just typed :laugh:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
A friend of mine keeps telling me that knocking people back off the edge when there coming back is cheap but i think its a normal aspect of playing the game i need some other players opinions on this so if anyone can help me plz.
PS. also he thinks attacking when u have the invincibilty from right after you die is cheap as well as hitting an opponent when there using their fighter stance. he is also a very good player so i dont think hes a noob but i think he needs to realize these are normal ways to play.
Your friend is a huge scrub.

First, make him read this :

http://www.sirlin.net/archive/playing-to-win-part-1/

Then feed him to the wolves if he doesnt change his ways. Scrubs are vermin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom