• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is better: SHL or SHDL?

ynnek123

Smash Ace
Yeah, which ones is better? I would think the double laser is better but most of the time I see people just doing a single laser. Is it faster or something? Please give your opinion and arguments

J4pu

Smash Champion
If you SHDL all the time and they are standing on the ground, as soon as they see the first laser shoot over their head, they know a second is coming so they have an easier time shielding it. Doing a retreating SH (so that Falco backflips) and shooting a single laser before you land is the way to get the most possible ground level lasers out while also retreating at the same time. SHDL is obviously used to get them when in the air or on platforms. And that just about covers my reasons for using both.

[you can do a retreating SHDL just as fast i would think but it becomes more difficult since your input would be: SH > tap backwards(for the retreating backflip) > tap forwards (so you dont do a reversal on your lasers) > laser, laser ; repeat. While the retreating SHL input is: SH > tap backwards (for retreating backflip) > Laser. Not so much flipping the control stick back and forth]

Mainly SHL are more likely to hit when you often do SHDL because they don't expect it as much.

bulgarian_kid

Smash Cadet
imo, SHDL when you're further away. It doesn't matter that the second laser is predictable in that secnario because they'll see one laser coming just as much anyway over a distance. Retreating I also prefer this because it keeps them from jumping after you effectively.

but when you get in close it's better to SHL, imo, because it doesn't give them a chance to expect a second laser and get prepared to punish it, so it's safer. Basically I use it for close approaches.

BsdKid4ever

Smash Cadet
I use both SHL and SHDL according to the circumstances at hand.

Use SHL if...
1. You're retreating.
2. Your opponent has a reflector.*
3. You suck at doing SHDL.

Use SHDL if...
1. You're retreating and you can do it as effectively as SHL.
2. You're approaching an opponent without a reflector.
3. You want to keep pressure on the opponent/stall.

*: If you do good SHLs (silent or close to silent) on an opponent with a reflector you will jump over your reflected laser as you do the next SHL. Doing this with SHDLs will result in the first laser hitting you, stunning you just so you're hit by the second one.

If the choice doesnt really matter, don't do the same ones over and over again, mix it up!

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Depends on situationg

I find SHL more effective, but end up using SHDL more. >_>

Korpocalypse

Smash Journeyman
in the match, when far away, I like to do a shl, a shl, and then a shdl. so it's like they're getting hit, then they try to jump usually and just get hit even more.

0Room

Smash Lord
I prefer DL.
Just because Double Laser gives two chances to hit XD.

But in all seriousness.
DL fits more situations than Single Laser does.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Depending on what character my opponent is.

SHDL limits your opponents options to approach, since they can't approach from the air. This is great against Metaknight/Kirby since they find themselves in the air a lot....they're gonna eat laser. I find SHL better for more conservative situations, like close range against snake. You can space before you cancel the laser but still follow up with something nasty...like a DAC to the FACE.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
Depending on what character my opponent is.

SHDL limits your opponents options to approach, since they can't approach from the air. This is great against Metaknight/Kirby since they find themselves in the air a lot....they're gonna eat laser. I find SHL better for more conservative situations, like close range against snake. You can space before you cancel the laser but still follow up with something nasty...like a DAC to the FACE.
isn't a shl to buffered dash to immediate dac a bit hard O_o xD

OverLade

Smash Hero
isn't a shl to buffered dash to immediate dac a bit hard O_o xD
Not as hard as you would think. I can even do it online pretty easily. And it hella scares the crap out of people when they get hit with a laser and suddenly Falco is 10 feet closer with his boots in their face. :D

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Usually oyu might as well just SHDL since the timing for the SHL is the same as if you just did two lasers anyway. You would have to SH then wait till you start to fall a bit then hit B for a single laser. So the timing of the a SHL is the same as the timing for the second laser in SHDL.

You would SHL when you are closer since after doing the first laser your opponent knows a second one is coming. So by opting to do a SHL you can keep your opponent guessing when you SH and then mix-up with aerial phantasms, Nairs, and FF dairs. If they shield the laser you can roll, spotdodge, jab mix-ups, grab, or do an f-tilt.

Top Bottom