• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What indie character do you want to see/think is likely?

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
I wouldnt get your hopes up i dont think a Horror Monster has even a slither of hope in Smash (maybe a MiiCostume)
Thinking about it maybe Scott Pilgrim????
I mean i think the Books are Indie Comics and hes Heavily tied to Games
But just maybe!
My man telling somone to not get their hopes up for one of the biggest breakout stars of the 2010s in gaming but is thinking a Fourth Party character has a chance.

They don't as long as Sakurai is in charge

Oracle Link

Smash Master
My man telling somone to not get their hopes up for one of the biggest breakout stars of the 2010s in gaming but is thinking a Fourth Party character has a chance.

They don't as long as Sakurai is in charge
I dont even want him but hes one of the most 3rd Party Like 4th Partys

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
The one I want the most? Quote. Not very likely though, sadly. Cave Story probably pioneered indies, and it's a great game too. Sadly it's a bit obscure nowadays, though that's expected as it's fifteen years old. Don't really care though, he's still my most wanted indie.

The most likely indie's are probably Shantae and Shovel Knight. Shovel Knight is an extremely popular character and while having an assist trophy hinders his chances, I still find him pretty likely. And Shantae is popular as well but she doesn't have an assist, so I find her a little more likely, and there's plenty of fan demand for her.

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
I would love Tesla Kid (Teslagrad) in Smash
1620009906232.png

For those who need an explanation on who he is, he's from Teslagrad, a puzzle game where you use magnetic energy to solve puzzles. That's all I wanna say as I want you to play it yourself lol no I just haven't played the game in a while so I forgot what the story was about.

Imagine a character where you can swap between 2 types of energy (red and blue; red and red push away from each other, blue and blue push away from each other, and red and blue gravitate towards each other) with attacks from the Teslastaff and Magnet Glove, mobility options with the Polarity Cloak and Blink Boots, some gravity options to mess with (A Box and an Iron Louse depending on how you press the special button to summon it; you could shot an opponent with red energy from the staff, place a blue box, and the blue box flies towards the opponent, as an example), and if we're taking from other games he could have a Ball Lightning from Indie Pogo.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
In Ultimate, none. If Sans & Cuphead are premium Mii costumes then that puts the nail in the coffin for a indie being a full blown character for me.

Paraster

Smash Lord
In Ultimate, none. If Sans & Cuphead are premium Mii costumes then that puts the nail in the coffin for a indie being a full blown character for me.
This thread isn't necessarily Ultimate-exclusive. Do you have any ideas for indie fighters going forward?

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Top 3 I see are Reimu (because of how popular her series is especially in Japan) along with Shantae and Shovel Knight ( because they were the faces of "nindies")

Paraster

Smash Lord
If your favorite indie characters got in, what music tracks from them would you most like to see?
Here's a few of mine. (bold = new remix; specific versions of each song are referenced where applicable)

Cave Story
Mimiga Town
Balrog’s Theme / Gravity

Mischievous Robot (Organya)
Eyes of Flame (Remastered)
Run!
Labyrinth Fight (Cave Story+)
Oppression
Moonsong (Remastered)
Last Cave (Remastered)
Balcony (Blade Strangers)
Zombeat (Kero Blaster)
Last Battle (Remastered)
Running Hell (Organya)
Enemy Approaching / Stronger Monsters
Heartache
Bonetrousle
Dating Medley

Spear of Justice
CORE
Death By Glamour
Undertale
ASGORE
Hopes and Dreams / SAVE the World
Mad Mew Mew
The Legend
Rude Buster
Disco Descent
Deep Sea Bass (Chipped of the NecroDancer)
Konga Conga Kappa (The Synthwave Cuts)
Grave Throbbing (The Melody Mixes)
Igneous Rock (Freestyle Retro)
Dance of the Decorous (OverClocked)
The Wight to Remain (Aria’s Ascent)
For Whom the Knell Tolls
Momentum Mori / Last Dance

Absolutetion (Original OST)
Six Feet Thunder
Steinway to Heaven (Original OST)
Vamplified (Original OST)
Hollow Knight
Crossroads
Greenpath

Hornet
Mantis Lords
Decisive Battle
Broken Vessel
White Palace
Sealed Vessel
Radiance
Nightmare King
Prologue / First Steps
Scattered and Lost
Golden
Reflection
Confronting Myself
Reach for the Summit
Old Site (Black Moonrise Mix)
Mirror Temple (Mirror Magic Mix)
Heart of the Mountain
Fear of the Unknown

Beyond the Heart
Farewell

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Yeah, never great at leaving it to just one character, so here are a few:

Shovel Knight is already an assist.... But I had more fun with "Specter of Torment" anyway, so Specter Knight can be the playable character from that suite of games.

The Knight/The Bug from Hollow Knight is just a great design and moveset. Plus I'm still just as hyped for Silksong as I was years ago when it was announced.

I like Gunvolt from the Gunvolt games. I like the Gunvolt games. I mean I bought Blade Strangers pretty much for him.

I've wanted Commander Video since his trophy in 4. I want him to represent endless runners and to take damage if he is not moving.

Shantae feels quite earned by this point and I like her moveset potential.

I really liked the two gunman Clive games. I had a lot of fun with them. So obviously I would like the duck from Gunman Clive. I mean, Gunman Clive. He is better than Duck mode.

And if I need some fowl.... where there is an untitled goose who I imagine would be the ultimate troll character.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Yeah, never great at leaving it to just one character, so here are a few:

Shovel Knight is already an assist.... But I had more fun with "Specter of Torment" anyway, so Specter Knight can be the playable character from that suite of games.

The Knight/The Bug from Hollow Knight is just a great design and moveset. Plus I'm still just as hyped for Silksong as I was years ago when it was announced.

I like Gunvolt from the Gunvolt games. I like the Gunvolt games. I mean I bought Blade Strangers pretty much for him.

I've wanted Commander Video since his trophy in 4. I want him to represent endless runners and to take damage if he is not moving.

Shantae feels quite earned by this point and I like her moveset potential.

I really liked the two gunman Clive games. I had a lot of fun with them. So obviously I would like the duck from Gunman Clive. I mean, Gunman Clive. He is better than Duck mode.

And if I need some fowl.... where there is an untitled goose who I imagine would be the ultimate troll character.
I've never played Untitled Goose Game, and even I can tell that the Goose would be a hilarious fighter in both moveset and its mere presence.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
the big one for me is any Undertale or Deltarune character whatsoever. if i had my pick i'd say either the Fun Gang or Undyne, but i'm serious about taking literally anybody; watch me main Burgerpants, i don't care. they'd all be loads of fun and visually distinct, and half the appeal is that sweet, sweet Toby Fox soundtrack anyway

Cadence from Crypt of the Necrodancer could be fun too. I'd be curious to see how they translate a rhythm-based game to Smash. and like i said with Undertale, the music would be amazing. (hmm, would Cadence of Hyrule music play on her own stage, or the Zelda ones?)

i still haven't started up Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, or Shantae, but they all look like fun possibilities. i'm too weak to play Cuphead but the whole aesthetic is super charming, i'd welcome him

and one more, but not as a playable character - i've always thought Baba is You would make for a bonkers assist trophy. Baba or Keke or whoever would show up in the background and make or break rules to change how the battle operates; break [character] is You to disable the other player's controls momentarily, turn all the scattered weapons and tools into apples with Item is Fruit, or set up Floor is Lava to make the obvious happen

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Reimu or Gunvolt. I guess Shantae too but I prefer the former two

ultra pipe dream that’ll never ever happen: someone from Darkest Dungeon or Lobotomy Corporation

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Reimu honestly tohou has been around for way too long and grew a lot compared to most indies also popular in japan and it would be a bullet hell rep something we don’t have yet.
Reimu’s also the most practical way to represent shmups, being a human with powers. Most shmups have you in control of a jet, spaceship, or someone riding something like an animal or giant bug

only other Shmup Human I can think of is someone from CAVE’s Espgaluda but that’s SUPER obscure compared to Touhou

Last edited:

sakret

Banned via Warnings
NO DOUBT! I'd love Shovel Knight! He could have an awesome moveset and I love the idea of pogo-ing around on his shovel like LInk's dair!!!

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
While I hope the final DLC spots go to in house first party characters, I would greatly enjoy the protagonist from Hollow Knight. But only if he was the smallest character on the roster. Gotta be tiny and mighty.

like, doesn’t have to crouch for projectiles to go over his head haha

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
If your favorite indie(s) made it in, what characters from their game/series could possibly appear as Mii costumes?

Cave Story: Curly (if she isn't an alt. model) as a Gunner, King as a Swordfighter, Sue as a Brawler.
Undertale: Papyrus and Mettaton as Brawlers, Undyne and Kris as Swordfighters.
Crypt of the NecroDancer: Nocturna as a Swordfighter, Eli as a Brawler.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I just realized, out of all the "Challenger Pack docs" I've started, the only four I've completed enough to share publicly are based on indie characters.

(Might rise to five if I get back on my Madeline one.)

UserKev

Smash Champion
Non of the likeliest indie characters are near my most wanted. Raji would bring one of the most aesthetically innovative stages, so she's my personal most wanted indie rep.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I do smash polls and trends I seen is the knight from hallow knight being really popular. Shantae might be another likely one. Those are the most realistic ones imo.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
One indie character that I think would fit in Smash but hasn't been discussed yet is Peacock from Skullgirls.

Top Bottom