• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if Mewtwo had custom moves?

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
On Sunday, Sakurai is going to give a little presentation where he shows off Lucas to everyone. Then he'll show Lucas' customs, which are completely different from Ness'. He'll explain that he just didn't have time for Mewtwo's before, but they're getting patched in on Monday. Mewtwo's customs will include:

Shadow Ball Customs:

Abyssal Shadow Ball - A Shadow Ball that has less knockback than the default, but is immune to reflection.

Shady Shadow Ball - A faster-traveling version of Shadow Ball that causes no knockback. Instead, it causes a tripping effect to occur when fully charged up (visually, charges in reverse like WFT's custom).

Teleport Customs:
Teleport Strike - Mewtwo's teleport has increased startup, but it no longer leaves him prone after usage, and Mewtwo recovers immediately upon reappearing.

Vacuum Teleport - Mewtwo's teleport has less range, but now creates a "vacuum" effect where Mewtwo started the move, suctioning nearby opponents in.

Disable Customs:
Shattering Disable - This variant does severe damage to shields, but has no effect otherwise (does ~fully charged Shadow Ball damage to shields).

Migraine Disable - This move can hit opponents facing toward or away from Mewtwo, but the stun time is halved.

Confusion Customs:
Possessive Confusion - A variant that reduces the startup time on Confusion, and the reflected projectile's damage is now increased three-fold. No longer acts as a command grab.

Subversive Confusion - This variant can be used repeatedly for aerial maneuverability, but no longer reflects projectiles or interacts with opponents.

Additionally, Sakurai will apologize for making Mewtwo so ****ty upon release. All of his hitboxes are fixed, Nair now has no landing lag, and Shadow Ball now has its charging hitbox returned. Lucario now starts every match by saying "Sorry I stole your tech, Mewtwo. I am just a stupid clone version of you, and I should have developed my own stuff".

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
On Sunday, Sakurai is going to give a little presentation where he shows off Lucas to everyone. Then he'll show Lucas' customs, which are completely different from Ness'. He'll explain that he just didn't have time for Mewtwo's before, but they're getting patched in on Monday. Mewtwo's customs will include:

Shadow Ball Customs:
Abyssal Shadow Ball - A Shadow Ball that has less knockback than the default, but is immune to reflection.

Shady Shadow Ball - A faster-traveling version of Shadow Ball that causes no knockback. Instead, it causes a tripping effect to occur when fully charged up (visually, charges in reverse like WFT's custom).

Teleport Customs:
Teleport Strike - Mewtwo's teleport has increased startup, but it no longer leaves him prone after usage, and Mewtwo recovers immediately upon reappearing.

Vacuum Teleport - Mewtwo's teleport has less range, but now creates a "vacuum" effect where Mewtwo started the move, suctioning nearby opponents in.

Disable Customs:
Shattering Disable - This variant does severe damage to shields, but has no effect otherwise (does ~fully charged Shadow Ball damage to shields).

Migraine Disable - This move can hit opponents facing toward or away from Mewtwo, but the stun time is halved.

Confusion Customs:
Possessive Confusion - A variant that reduces the startup time on Confusion, and the reflected projectile's damage is now increased three-fold. No longer acts as a command grab.

Subversive Confusion - This variant can be used repeatedly for aerial maneuverability, but no longer reflects projectiles or interacts with opponents.

Additionally, Sakurai will apologize for making Mewtwo so ****ty upon release. All of his hitboxes are fixed, Nair now has no landing lag, and Shadow Ball now has its charging hitbox returned. Lucario now starts every match by saying "Sorry I stole your tech, Mewtwo. I am just a stupid clone version of you, and I should have developed my own stuff".
I don't think a move that invalidates other moves designed to deal with it is a good idea... it makes all of Fox's reflector
options pointless (as if they weren't already against those with no projectiles). I bet this didn't cross your mind, but by your description it can still be absorbed, so joke's on you Villager can still reflect it.

Also, let's give Mewtwo a way to stall in the air almost indefinitely. Like Fox's Brawl Reflector but worse.

3x is overkill when the stronger reflect customs do 2x which is already enough to make the strongest projectiles unreflectable,
on top of the increased speed they give projectiles.

If you want a damaging charge so bad, why not just pop it on a custom?

And of course the old "please let Mewtwo act out of teleport" spiel.

More butthurt posting about Mewtwo not having semi-broken options due to his light weight.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
I don't think a move that invalidates other moves designed to deal with it is a good idea... it makes all of Fox's reflector
options pointless (as if they weren't already against those with no projectiles). I bet this didn't cross your mind, but by your description it can still be absorbed, so joke's on you Villager can still reflect it.

Also, let's give Mewtwo a way to stall in the air almost indefinitely. Like Fox's Brawl Reflector but worse.

3x is overkill when the stronger reflect customs do 2x which is already enough to make the strongest projectiles unreflectable,

More butthurt posting about Mewtwo not having semi-broken options due to his light weight.
Lol.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master

Are you saying other characters have semi broken options?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Are you saying other characters have semi broken options?
No, but some of the specials he's suggesting just feel like knee-jerk reactions to the things that bug him about Mewtwo
without any real thought put into them.

I already explained the fallacies in his "no-reflect" Shadow Ball.

A reflect-focused Confusion with increased reflect power is a good idea. But 3x? That's just unnecessary.

Even if the unlimited jump confusion lost height gradually, he could still pull ridiculous stalling maneuvers in places the opponent
likely has next to no chance of reaching.

His idea for an "act out of teleport" move isn't even that good: the increased startup would make it really hard to catch
anyone off guard with an attack so it would be limited to just better evasive mixups, assuming he can jump
and/or use specials out of it. I'd honestly swap the downsides for his up b customs (more startup for vacuum, less range
for attacking).

Minor one for his migraine disable, but short stun time was exactly what was wrong with Melee Disable.

Oh, and he lashes out at Lucario calling him a clone just because one of his moves is similar (and his physics
if you want to get nitpicky) to how Mewtwo's used to be. Even though Mewtwo kind of ripped of Samus's Charge Shot to
begin with.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I dunno man. Fox having a 2x reflector he can keep out forever seems a bit much since he basically auto wins any projectile exchange.

And a custom gives him a 2.5x reflector.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I dunno man. Fox having a 2x reflector he can keep out forever seems a bit much since he basically auto wins any projectile exchange.

And a custom gives him a 2.5x reflector.
Default reflector does 1.4x, same as Mewtwo's.

It's the amplifying custom that does 2.1x, at the cost of more startup and doing nothing at all to opponents up close.

The strongest reflect in default settings is pocket, at 1.9x.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master

It's the amplifying custom that does 2.1x, at the cost of more startup and doing nothing at all to opponents up close.
Could have sworn I saw a 2.5x somewhere.

Anyway Karst has some valid complaints but some of it is just ranting.

Mewtwo just has a ton of problems which locks him in mid tier at best.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488

The strongest reflect in default settings is pocket, at 1.9x.
Not to mention you can break his Reflector if the projectile is too strong. Add that to the fact that Mewtwo can reflect his own reflected Shadow Ball and you got a way to stun him longer than Disable can at +100% damage

Last edited:

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
The customs list is just a whimsical post, Mag. I don't care if someone gets really upset reading it because he doesn't like it. Hence my response. Since folks are arguing, though, I will respond.

I do think an un-reflectable Shadow Ball is fair as a custom if it loses KO power. It is similar to how Falco (and others) can give up a reflect for a KO move, but in reverse. Some characters can gain a reflect through customs, like Mega man. Why should Mega man be able to selectively counter Mewtwo, but Mewtwo can't do the same? Characters with reflectors could always select a non-reflecting custom in response to Mewtwo's custom.

I don't care what the reflect value is on a powered-up custom Confusion, but it would need to be strong to justify losing a command grab. Fox's offensive ability with Reflector is pretty limited. The Big custom is considered by most Fox players to be a straight upgrade. Mewtwo loses a lot, so he should gain a lot. Again, I don't give a crud about the specific number.

Migraine Disable would have shorter stun, but still enough time to land a hit. Just not enough to fully charge smashes at high % anymore.

Jump Confusion could have 3 uses before running out. My original wording was "multiple" instead of "repeated". Not a big deal.

Teleport Attack is godlike.

Lucario portion was clearly tongue-in-cheek for those that aren't dim-witted. Reflections after two months of play and over 2000 matches might be called "knee jerk" by such a person, as well.

Not to mention you can break his Reflector if the projectile is too strong. Add that to the fact that Mewtwo can reflect his own reflected Shadow Ball and you got a way to stun him longer than Disable can at +100% damage
You know what would be fantastic? If Confusion were reprogrammed to work like Pocket. Lowers the projectile strength to 1.9x so it can always reflect. Would solve a lot of Mewtwo's more awkward Matchups.

Last edited:

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
I don't care what the reflect value is on a powered-up custom Confusion, but it would need to be strong to justify losing a command grab. Fox's offensive ability with Reflector is pretty limited. The Big custom is considered by most Fox players to be a straight upgrade. Mewtwo loses a lot, so he should gain a lot. Again, I don't give a crud about the specific number.

You know what would be fantastic? If Confusion were reprogrammed to work like Pocket. Lowers the projectile strength to 1.9x so it can always reflect. Would solve a lot of Mewtwo's more awkward Matchups.
Mega Man, Pac Man, Link, Villager, etc. don't have non-reflectable customs, why should Mewtwo be the one exception?

You should care about the numbers, because it gives a good range for what should be considered suitable as a custom. It wouldn't be right giving someone x3 Reflection if barely anyone can break x2.

And to that last statement, a FCSB reflected by Reflector then Confusion will be x1.96, which will break Fox's Reflector. Add in the amount of startup and end lag and Mewtwo can't win the reflection fight if he lowers the strength to x1.9 for reflection. He will get caught during lag and get KO'd. Consider how bad that would be against Mario, Dr. Mario, Palutena, or Falco to name a few reflectors.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
No, but some of the specials he's suggesting just feel like knee-jerk reactions to the things that bug him about Mewtwo
without any real thought put into them.

I already explained the fallacies in his "no-reflect" Shadow Ball.

A reflect-focused Confusion with increased reflect power is a good idea. But 3x? That's just unnecessary.

Even if the unlimited jump confusion lost height gradually, he could still pull ridiculous stalling maneuvers in places the opponent
likely has next to no chance of reaching.

His idea for an "act out of teleport" move isn't even that good: the increased startup would make it really hard to catch
anyone off guard with an attack so it would be limited to just better evasive mixups, assuming he can jump
and/or use specials out of it. I'd honestly swap the downsides for his up b customs (more startup for vacuum, less range
for attacking).

Minor one for his migraine disable, but short stun time was exactly what was wrong with Melee Disable.

Oh, and he lashes out at Lucario calling him a clone just because one of his moves is similar (and his physics
if you want to get nitpicky) to how Mewtwo's used to be. Even though Mewtwo kind of ripped of Samus's Charge Shot to
begin with.
-_- You really should have guessed that he was being somewhat sarcastic. I do agree that the ideas for Customs are not the best and that the ranting is a bit much, but the best thing to do is to ignore such a post and move on.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Mega Man, Pac Man, Link, Villager, etc. don't have non-reflectable customs, why should Mewtwo be the one exception?

You should care about the numbers, because it gives a good range for what should be considered suitable as a custom. It wouldn't be right giving someone x3 Reflection if barely anyone can break x2.

And to that last statement, a FCSB reflected by Reflector then Confusion will be x1.96, which will break Fox's Reflector. Add in the amount of startup and end lag and Mewtwo can't win the reflection fight if he lowers the strength to x1.9 for reflection. He will get caught during lag and get KO'd. Consider how bad that would be against Mario, Dr. Mario, Palutena, or Falco to name a few reflectors.
I don't care about the numbers because no one cares about what we post here. We aren't making the game or balancing it. It is throwing a hat up in the air on a windy day. I just want to see it blow around. Most of the ideas in this thread are terrible, so I was adding my own terrible ideas to the tread. I figured we were all just shooting blanks for fun, because NOTHING we say in this thread affects the game!

Yeah, after my post on how multireflect works in this game due to a glitch (see the matchup thread, I agree that the 1.9x change for Confusion would be bad.

Mewtwo can win any reflection fight if he properly manages his staleness and charge. Check my post in the matchup forums for how to beat Fox's reflector consistently.

godogod

Smash Ace
3x damage? Sounds pretty broken.

Anyway.. Welp its confirmed that the dlc characters got no custom moves(via leak of datamining roy and ryu a few hours ago via japanese patch of sunday's update)

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
3x damage? Sounds pretty broken.

Anyway.. Welp its confirmed that the dlc characters got no custom moves(via leak of datamining roy and ryu a few hours ago via japanese patch of sunday's update)
See? None of this matters.

:(

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
See? None of this matters.

:(
Yep and it's pretty pathetic to be honest. Even Ryu a Newcomer ain't getting jack squat in lieu of customs. Which means all DLC characters will have more limited growth in the competitive scene.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Yep and it's pretty pathetic to be honest. Even Ryu a Newcomer ain't getting jack squat in lieu of customs. Which means all DLC characters will have more limited growth in the competitive scene.
Funny thing is that Ryu already has a lot of his customs made from his series through homages.

Electric and Burning Hadoken? Canon.
LP, MP, and HP Shoryuken versions with different risk and knockback (or flaming from Ken).
Etc.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I don't care about the numbers because no one cares about what we post here. We aren't making the game or balancing it. It is throwing a hat up in the air on a windy day. I just want to see it blow around. Most of the ideas in this thread are terrible, so I was adding my own terrible ideas to the tread. I figured we were all just shooting blanks for fun, because NOTHING we say in this thread affects the game!
Alright take it down a notch. This thread is supposed to be hypothetical.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Hypothetically if DLC characters receive no custom moves then I suspect this topic has little purpose.

Cykelopz

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone it has not been too long since I joined Smashboards but I have came up with a some custom moves ideas for Mewtwo! Anways, I'm surprised how the developers have not created any custom moves for Mewtwo considering the amount of time that's passed since his release date. I have brainstormed some ideas for Mewtwo's Custom Moves and I would really appreciate your feedback or any changes you would like to add to the moves. Most of these custom moves are moves that Mewtwo can learn in the Pokémon games minus one Up B that's a variation of his teleport. Without further ado here are my custom moves ideas for Mewtwo. P.S. please excuse any newbie mistakes.

Neutral B:
(2) Psycho Cut:
Fire an energy projectile that's slightly weaker than the other Neutral B's, but has much higher knock back along with shield breaking properties. Charging it for longer increases power of knock back and shield breaking.
* Knock back is similar to Falco's Reflector Void and Mario's Shocking Cape but can grow stronger by charging it. Why does it have a high knock back and shield breaking properties? Being a critical hit move in the Pokémon games I thought it would be appropriate to somewhat incorporate that mechanic in a fighting game like Smash. *
(3) Electro Ball: Charges and travels faster than the other Neutral B's, but has very low knock back.
* Similar to Robin's Speed Thunder with the only difference being that despite how strong the move gets, the knock back will remain fairly weak. *

Side B:
(2) Psychic:
Use a strong wave of psychic energy that can push opponents. It can also reflect projectiles.
* This move is pretty much the psychic version of Mario's Gust Cape with the only differences being that it doesn't spin and has a "wind box" that can cause damage. The difference between Psychic and Confusion is you lose the ability to combo right after the attack, however, it's the strongest of the Side B's. The closer the opponent is to the move, the stronger the damage is. *
(3) Gravity: Create a gravitational force in front of you that trips opponents in the ground or pushes them downwards in the air. The move has no reflective properties.
* This move can be seen as a combination of Lucas PSI Magnet, Mario's Gust Cape, and have the tripping properties of moves that induce that effect. Of course the move won't absorb like PSI Magnet or have spinning properties like the Cape, but it it will have a wind box similar to the Cape with the only difference being that it goes downwards instead of sideways (this downward effect only works when the opponent is in the air.) This move will cause the lowest damage as oppose to the other Side B's but it's great for extending combos. *

Up B:
(2) Telekinesis:
Use psychic energy to soar and attack in the air.
* This move is a combination of Lucario's Ride the Wind and Peach's Floating ability. You can either stay still or maneuver freely in the air while attacking at the same time. After the animation ends for the move you will be put into free fall. Air dodging ends the animation faster. P.S. it is the slowest and longest of Mewtwo's Up B's. *
(3) Striking Teleport: This teleport travels a much shorter distance but allows you to act out of it to extend combos.
* The move won't be so overpowered with the travel distance being shorter but nonetheless I'll remain strong since it's quicker and more offensive than the regular Teleport. Mewtwo won't be put into free fall after the animation ends. Trust me we all want Mewtwo with the same Project M Teleport but I'm trying to maintain it as balanced as possible! *

Down B:
(2) Future Sight:
Attach an explosive psychic energy to an enemy you make eye contact with.
* Works like Mega Man's Crash Bomber with the only difference being that the opponent can't attach the attack back to you or anyone else. This attack can be blocked and cannot be spammed. Future Sight will be the slowest of the Down B moves but will have longer range and a larger hit box. *
(3) Thunder Wave: Paralyze an enemy you make eye contact with.
* One of the differences between Thunder Wave and Disable will be that it's slightly easier to land since it's easier to get out of the effect. The other difference with this Thunder Wave and Pikachu's is that it's an eye contact move. *

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Some ideas I thought of that are rather simple since I don't expect DLC characters to have complex customs like Megaman or Palutena if they do get added in later. Also, these are moves that Mewtwo learns through level up according to serebii.

Neutral B
2. Swift - Mewtwo tosses out star shaped rays, the longer its charged the more stars come out. Just like Shiek's needles.
3. Psychic -Mewtwo pushes forth a Psychic blast that pushes the foe away with a wind box, the more its charged the further it pushes away. Also has a hitbox when charging up that does little damage only while charging. Wind hit box does no damage.

Side B
2. Psycho Cut - Propels Mewtwo forward as he slashes in front of him, if hit in close range it grabs them in place and then slashes them. Similar to Lucario's dash grab custom move. Punishable if blocked. Grab deals 15%. The slash deals 7%.
3. Guard Swap - Mewtwo gains super armor when performing this move. Grounds opponent in place and sets up for combos. Does no damage and does not reflect projectiles. If grabbed in the air, it meteors the foe.

Up B
2. Me First - Teleports with a psychic explosion akin to Zelda, has more start up. Strong KO move. Slightly less teleport range.
3. Recover - Teleport onto or into opponent and recover 10% health. Does 1% damage with very little stun or knockback. Has more end lag.

Down B
2. Future Sight - A counter that covers a wider radius of Psychic energy, think Ness PK Flash radius but as a counter. Strong KO move. 20% damage on hit.
3. Miracle Eye - Shield breaker type move. Also deals moderate damage 7% with little knockback.

Final Smash: Mega Mewtwo Y and Psystrike.

Even if Mewtwo never gets custom moves, maybe it will be possible to one day with hacks.

Last edited:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Why does she need a healing teleport when her very existence is already a form of healing to our tortured souls after the dark ages of Super Smash Bros brawl...

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
A healing teleport should never, ever happen.
It would only heal on hit. Think Zelda's teleport but instead of damage and knock back, Mewtwo recovers health. And of course there will be a negative, which would be more end lag compared to default teleport, and the teleports that don't hit the foe simply won't heal Mewtwo at all.

nodle

Smash Cadet
This thread is pretty dead, but I'm bored and thought I'd just say what I would want in Mewtwo customs.

Neutral
Psycho cut - Chargeable, fires a short range spinning blade projectile. Acts like Water Shurikan/Snaring Aura hybrid thing
Hyper Beam - Unchargeable, fast traveling powerful beam attack (Like Thoron) with Huge end lag (like Rest)

Side
Psychic - Similar to confusion. No effect on projectiles. More damage and throws enemies.
Fling - Similar to confusion. No effect on players. Very powerful reflector of projectiles.

Down
Future Sight - Two stages. First one acts like a longer ranged disable. Requires eye contact. If successful, then in 4 seconds, powerful multi-hit psychic lasers will rain down around the hit player. Lasts longer than dodge, breaks shields, and hits wide enough to handle rolls, meaning that the success of the hit is decided with the earlier disable like attack. Low knockback, but large long lasting hit box makes follow ups easy if you are close enough.
WilloWisp -Similar range to disable. Doesn't require eye contact. Deals damage over time like an attached pikmin.

Up
Aerial Ace - shorter range teleport with hitbox at end of teleport.
Flash - Dissapear in a blinding flash. Reappear far above your previous location. Longer range than teleport but can't be directed.

...I've seen most of these mentioned already. For the most part, I think all of these make sense. They are all attacks that Mewtwo is able to learn. I tried to design these by following similar custom design strategies seen in existing customs. The trade offs should be obvious with all of these and I think they would all serve as effective side grades of existing moves.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Neutral B:

Shadow shield: when released the shadow ball rotates around Mewtwo as a shield for a bit, a bit weaker than the default.
Shadow barrage: charges more quickly & fires multiple small shadow balls instead of a big one.

Side B:

1: Flips opponent around instead of grabbing, still reflects.
2: Larger grab radius & throws opponent forward, but can't reflect

Up-B:

1: Travels farther but it can't be aimed diagonally
2. Explosion when disappearing & reappearing, but the teleport is slower.

Down-B:

1: Instead of stunning reverses controls for a few seconds
2: Instead of stunning disables the last A move they used for about 10 seconds.

Last edited:

nodle

Smash Cadet
Neutral B:
Shadow shield: when released the shadow ball rotates around Mewtwo as a shield for a bit, a bit weaker than the default.
Shadow barrage: charges more quickly & fires multiple small shadow balls instead of a big one.

Side B:

1: Flips opponent around instead of grabbing, still reflects.
2: Larger grab radius & throws opponent forward, but can't reflect

Up-B:

1: Travels farther but it can't be aimed diagonally
2. Explosion when disappearing & reappearing, but the teleport is slower.

Down-B:

1: Instead of stunning reverses controls for a few seconds
2: Instead of stunning disables the last A move they used for about 10 seconds.
Side 1 - Doesn't normal confustion flip opponents around. Or do you just mean like the cape effect?
Down 2 - Does this have any precedence in Smash 4?

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Side 1 - Doesn't normal confustion flip opponents around. Or do you just mean like the cape effect?
Down 2 - Does this have any precedence in Smash 4?
Default confusion it just kinda tumbles them.
Not really, i just tried to be creative with the move.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Those are some really cool ideas! Leer doesn't make much sense though. Maybe it could make the opponent take more damage temporarily, which is closer to how leer works in Pokemon. Similar mechanics exist in Shulk's Buster Monado Art so I think it's doable.
Just...............I mean did you see Blast Burn.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
So, Mewtwo can't learn Teleport in pokemon. That is Mew's and Abra's thing. Even in Red and Blue the Teleport TM doesn't work for Mewtwo. I know this is Smash, so it is pardoned, but my real question is why is Peach the only character with a Float advantage? Nevermind, just venting aloud. (I would trade wall jumping for that though.)

I like the idea of Swift and Barrier being moves. I imagine Swift being like a homing projectile, and it travels slowly but 'never misses' allowing mewtwo to also space or travel or just 'Pressure' the opponent. One out at a time, or something with charging only affecting the speed of the swift.

Barrier would be influence the shield he has. It basically increases the Shield Size vastly and allows him to stay mobile with the shield, even in the air. Imagine a Mewtwo that only has 2 jumps(no recovery), floats, and can shield in the air, and there is a homing projectile that lingers . Psychic type > Fighting type.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
If Mewtwo had custom moves, what would you want them to be?

Personally, I'd like to see a Teleport with an explosion at the end similar to Fox Burst.
Hey, I was inspired to think like uoy for a post. {If it is good enough, consider changing the title of your post to "what-if-mewtwo-had-custom-items"?
P.s. I thought about it 2oo, :/

Magiers Rot

Smash Rookie
I like the idea of naming custom specials after attacks in Pokémon. Keep in mind that Nintendo doesn't really care about staying true to its source material; Mewtwo cannot learn teleport in the Pokémon games. As such, I will include attacks from the games that I think Mewtwo "should" be able to learn. There are also a few ideas that I came up with, but someone else here beat me to the punch. I'll tag them.

Neutral Specials

2: Swift - "Fires a small flurry of stars that home in on enemies. Very weak."
Cannot be charged. Homes in on the nearest enemy. Can be reflected to target Mewtwo. Has very little knockback; akin to a jab. Almost no shield damage or shield stun. Medium speed. Revibe Revibe

3. Blizzard - "Fire a spray of icy wind to freeze enemies. Doesn't go very far."
Works a bit like the Ice Climbers' blizzard attack, but can be charged to reach farther (but charge cannot be stored). Slightly farther reach. This one's kind of a stretch, but personally I think it would be neat to utilize the vast amount of elemental attacks Mewtwo can learn in his origin game into Sm4sh.

Side Specials

2: Light Screen - "Construct a wall of psychic energy that stays in place and reflects projectiles. Can't harm enemies directly."
A lot like Palutena's Reflect, except it stays around much longer (and doesn't deal damage when appearing. Instead of giving Mewtwo a "bounce" like confusion does, I think stalling him in the air would be a good aerial property for this move.

3: Psychic - "Slam enemies and projectiles to the floor. Or, to the bottom blast zone!"
Technically still a reflector, just not a good one since it just deposits it in front of Mewtwo (and it should dissipate, too). This command grab shines in the air, where it serves as a more reliable meteor. Of course, this attack would need more endlag and no aerial bounce to be balanced. However, enemies should be unable to tech if Mewtwo performs this attack while on the ground, even though they hit the floor. CaliburChamp CaliburChamp for the idea to meteor.

Up Specials

2: Hyperspace Hole - "Disappear for a longer amount of time, but you can act out of teleporting."
A bit more like Project M's teleport. However, for that to be balanced, there'd have to be more endlag when Mewtwo reappears. Being gone for a longer amount of time makes it easier for enemies to react to the move, but aerial foes must be quicker. Of course, if you haven't used your jump yet, it should still be available to you. If this still seems too powerful to some of you, then maybe adding this property would balance it: It can't snap to ledges.

3: Gravity - "Float for a small period. Can attack during move."
Whaddaya know, another PM mechanic. Mewtwo maintains his elevation and can move freely along the x-axis.
Only lasts a few seconds, and performing any special move will cancel it. Again, an unused double jump can be used after this special ends.

Down Specials

2: Swagger - "Boost enemy power, but their controls are all messed up!"
The movement stick of the victim inverts on the x-axis only; up is still up, and down is still down. The other buttons all randomly flip around; maybe now X is special moves and B is shield. The only thing that doesn't change is the Start button; that still pauses. The c-stick doesn't change what it does; if it was set to do special moves, it still does that. However, the directional inputs are randomized, so pressing up on the c-stick could force you to do a forward smash. The mixed up controls only lasts a few seconds, but the attack boost lasts much longer. Use wisely.

3: Quash - "Slows enemies down instead of stunning them."
That's what it does. There's not a lot to this one. This is a Pokémon move, trust me!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I like the idea of naming custom specials after attacks in Pokémon. Keep in mind that Nintendo doesn't really care about staying true to its source material; Mewtwo cannot learn teleport in the Pokémon games. As such, I will include attacks from the games that I think Mewtwo "should" be able to learn. There are also a few ideas that I came up with, but someone else here beat me to the punch. I'll tag them.

Neutral Specials

2: Swift - "Fires a small flurry of stars that home in on enemies. Very weak."
Cannot be charged. Homes in on the nearest enemy. Can be reflected to target Mewtwo. Has very little knockback; akin to a jab. Almost no shield damage or shield stun. Medium speed. Revibe Revibe

3. Blizzard - "Fire a spray of icy wind to freeze enemies. Doesn't go very far."
Works a bit like the Ice Climbers' blizzard attack, but can be charged to reach farther (but charge cannot be stored). Slightly farther reach. This one's kind of a stretch, but personally I think it would be neat to utilize the vast amount of elemental attacks Mewtwo can learn in his origin game into Sm4sh.

Side Specials

2: Light Screen - "Construct a wall of psychic energy that stays in place and reflects projectiles. Can't harm enemies directly."
A lot like Palutena's Reflect, except it stays around much longer (and doesn't deal damage when appearing. Instead of giving Mewtwo a "bounce" like confusion does, I think stalling him in the air would be a good aerial property for this move.

3: Psychic - "Slam enemies and projectiles to the floor. Or, to the bottom blast zone!"
Technically still a reflector, just not a good one since it just deposits it in front of Mewtwo (and it should dissipate, too). This command grab shines in the air, where it serves as a more reliable meteor. Of course, this attack would need more endlag and no aerial bounce to be balanced. However, enemies should be unable to tech if Mewtwo performs this attack while on the ground, even though they hit the floor. CaliburChamp CaliburChamp for the idea to meteor.

Up Specials

2: Hyperspace Hole - "Disappear for a longer amount of time, but you can act out of teleporting."
A bit more like Project M's teleport. However, for that to be balanced, there'd have to be more endlag when Mewtwo reappears. Being gone for a longer amount of time makes it easier for enemies to react to the move, but aerial foes must be quicker. Of course, if you haven't used your jump yet, it should still be available to you. If this still seems too powerful to some of you, then maybe adding this property would balance it: It can't snap to ledges.

3: Gravity - "Float for a small period. Can attack during rise."
Whaddaya know, another PM mechanic. Mewtwo maintains his elevation and can move freely along the x-axis.
Only lasts a few seconds, and performing any special move will cancel it. Again, an unused double jump can be used after this special ends.

Down Specials

2: Swagger - "Boost enemy power, but their controls are all messed up!"
The movement stick of the victim inverts on the x-axis only; up is still up, and down is still down. The other buttons all randomly flip around; maybe now X is special moves and B is shield. The only thing that doesn't change is the Start button; that still pauses. The c-stick doesn't change what it does; if it was set to do special moves, it still does that. However, the directional inputs are randomized, so pressing up on the c-stick could force you to do a forward smash. The mixed up controls only lasts a few seconds, but the attack boost lasts much longer. Use wisely.

3: Quash - "Slows enemies down instead of stunning them."
That's what it does. There's not a lot to this one. This is a Pokémon move, trust me!
Wouldn't a move like Scary Face work better as a speed reducing move? Quash doesn't slow down (it has no priority and thus fails if the target is faster), just prohibits the target from acting until everyone else has (thus it's useless in singles).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
meleebrawler meleebrawler
Yeah. I agree 100%. A much better move.
Also I'm not too keen on the idea of Psychic meteoring. Couldn't opponents just tech it once they've got the timing down, thus not really making it much better than Confusion in terms of followups? And don't say that Mewtwo deserves special treatment in this regard, there isn't a single meteor in this game that a grounded opponent can't tech. And do we really need a forward facing meteor with a lot of endlag when we have a forward aerial that's really fast and lethal offstage anyway?

Personally I'd just make Psychic like Flying Slam in that it just causes a lot of damage and knockback.

Top Bottom