• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What has Nintendo done to upset you?

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
You've seen the warping and stuff like that in shooters and MK right? That's where the lag goes. Imagine how unplayable Smash would be with warping Little Macs. Yeah, I'll take the slowdown.

There's no realistic way to improve the connection quality of online matches... No amount of improved netcode or dedicated servers or whatever will make this lag go away. If you want anything faster you'll have to accept warping.
I'm very aware of that fact. Fighting games are fast paced and require precise inputs and timing from everyone at once. I wasn't suggesting to use the same kind of setup used for Mario Kart's online to be used in Smash Bros, that would be ridiculously ineffective.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm very aware of that fact. Fighting games are fast paced and require precise inputs and timing from everyone at once. I wasn't suggesting to use the same kind of setup used for Mario Kart's online to be used in Smash Bros, that would be ridiculously ineffective.
Just seems like you're asking for the impossible here...

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
Brawl's online was completely unplayable for me, unless I was playing with friends who lived in the near vicinity. Smash 4's is okay for me half the time, and just as awful the other half.

It's an improvement, but still not enough to keep For Glory from being more of a headache than it's really worth. GGPO uses the "warping" style of lag correction and I actually prefer it for fighting games, though its behavior needs to be very precisely tuned for each individual game.

Last edited:

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
All of those games are basically indie projects.
What's wrong with an indie project? They make games that are better than ones made by devs that are under the wing of massive corporations.

They might have a leg up on a few narrow technical specifics of modeling driving, or offer things like higher resolutions (though with worse visual design), mod support, etc., but they're usually always ridden with bugs and major UI issues.
Not every sim is Project CARS! Don't judge every race sim by Project CARS! I'm willing to admit PCARS is horribly buggy but out of all the games I listed none of them have major issue (unless you count Steam's horrific port of GTR2 from disc to Steam). So that invalidates that last line.

Polyphony and Turn 10's efforts display a professionalism, coherence and verisimilitude that none of the small-time sims can match. None of these games to date have succeeded at ticking off 100% of the boxes that auto nerds want, anyway, and if you want to talk nitpicks and specifics. I am unaware of another sim besides Forza 6 that accurately simulates hydroplaning on rainy tracks.
Maybe back in 2005. PD just half-heartedly stick in cars. They aim for quantity instead of quality. The AI is ridiculously bad. They promise features and take 2 years to bloody release them and the cars sound like vacuum cleaners. They actually downgraded graphics between GT5 and 6. It seems more and more like a cash grab every time round and less fans are falling for it now. The same goes for Forza. Aquaplaning? Try every recent PC sim ever.

Getting back to the original subject, how is NFS not at least semi-realistic? We're not talking Burnout here, which I wouldn't even consider a racing game. For that matter, do you really think a hardcore, realistic racing sim would have any chance of SELLING on a Nintendo console?
NFS has Mario Kart like power ups/weapons. NFS has horrendous sound. The handling is appalling and nothing like real life and when they try to do realistic (Shift 1/2 or ProStreet) they find a way to make it worse. The only good NFS games (still not realistic) were Underground 1 + 2 and Carbon.

D

Deleted member

them stop making n64 controllers. now they are so hard to find! :c

Megakoopax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Supermario196
3DS FC
2320-6609-3767
Having so many good games like FE 12 , Tomodachi Collection and Mother 3 unreleased in other regions besides Japan.

finalark

SNORLAX
A few decades? The N64 wasn't discontinued until 2003 (2002 in Japan).
2003 was thirteen years ago.

Major support for the console stopped in 2001, with the only first party N64 titles being published that year being Dr. Mario and Animal Crossing.

The N64's heyday was a long time ago.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Getting rid of everything that made Rosalina special in the first place. I've already given up on the Mario series because of it.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Rosalina is no longer that same calm, motherly and independent woman that she was supposed to be like in the Mario Galaxy games. Now she just sounds a lot like Peach these days to the point that I decided to say "**** the Mario series and **** Nintendo" The worst they made her, the bitter I've become towards them.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Rosalina is no longer that same calm, motherly and independent woman that she was supposed to be like in the Mario Galaxy games. Now she just sounds a lot like Peach these days to the point that I decided to say "**** the Mario series and **** Nintendo" The worst they made her, the bitter I've become towards them.
I dunno... Most people in real life would loosen up when they're playing tennis, riding go-karts, or wearing cat suits and climbing up walls. I get that you don't want her to be another Peach but unless you want her to sound utterly bored all the time there's not really a good way to do that outside of writing a plot around her.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry but Rosalina was always a terrible character with no bloody personality whatsoever. Her inclusion in Smash pisses me off big time.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Rosalina storybook was like the best story moment in a mainline Mario game though for me lol

Haze.

not a nice guy
I don't think that Nintendo has ever done anything that has actually upset me. Obviously they do a lot of things that I don't agree with such as the whole YouTube thing, region lock, all the gimmicks that they force upon us as well as the fact that Nintendo is often stuck in the past and out of touch with common gaming trends. The rumours for the NX on the other hand seem to be pointing in the right direction so hopefully that'll be a problem that's put to rest.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Paper Mario Color Splash.

It's literally Sticker Star 2 from what we've seen. No EXP, attacks tied to cards which appear to be 90% the same as stickers, the return of the "things" system (which probably is going to ruin boss fights again), and a whopping one unique character to replace Kertsi.

SurrealBrain

Smash Cadet
I'd say "not listening to the fans." Though they're not as bad as Sega is, but they can be pretty bad at times.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
"What has Nintendo done to upset you?" Laugh in the face of Paper Mario fans who wanted a return to form post Super Paper Mario. It feels like they literally could not care less about PM fans; from the trailer we got, they don't appear to have addressed any of the issues facing Sticker Star. Not even the hideously basic movement animation that we excused as 3DS limitations. And the paint thing... is overplayed. Like, hasn't some variation on this theme appeared in Super Mario Sunshine, Epic Mickey, de Blob, Splatoon? Why are we beating this dead horse?

On the one hand, if this game fails, they might decide PM isn't profitable and pull the plug on it. On the other hand, any future PM games would probably end up in this vein anyway. They're not even calling it an RPG anymore - it's "action adventure" (in other words, it could mean ~anything~). Even SPM clung to RPG conventions like experience.

I think I'll probably get this game used. The combat looks too similar Sticker Star's. Maybe the writing is good. But I'm not getting my hopes up. I was one of those people holding out for Sticker Star being good until the end, and look how that turned out. I know we'll never get a game like the first few PM games again. It's time to move on.

Last edited:

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Remove the boob slider in xenoblade chronicles x.
That was an important gameplay feature.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
I know we'll never get a game like the first few PM games again. It's time to move on.
wolverine.png

Though I must add I thoroughly enjoyed Super Paper Mario even as the departure it was, because at least that game had original and interesting characters that weren't just variations of Toads. Not to mention the writing was pretty solid.

finalark

SNORLAX
Nintendo's handling of Paper Mario is getting pretty atrocious. I pretty sure the series moving away from being an RPG is due to that whole "OMG WE HAVE TO CHANGE EVERYTHING" mindset that wrecked JRPGs in the late 2000s and still is holding back the genre to this day.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Meh. I feel slightly better about Color Splash after seeing Gamexplain's video. There's the possibility that cards aren't single use items and instead you make decks out of them, and then combat progression is based around finding and buying better and better cards. Add in the fact that cards run off of paint and there's the potential for it to be a fun system like the battle cards from Paper Jam.

On the same token, one would think they'd show off the new battle system since that was probably the single biggest complaint for Sticker Star.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ My biggest complaint about Sticker Star was getting lost easily after Chapter 2 without a guide, don't get me started how much of a nightmare it was going through Chapter 3 with no guide. The very first Paper Mario I never did a second playthrough. I hope Color Splash doesn't follow that foot step.

Top Bottom