• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What has Nintendo done to upset you?

Wyattkins

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wyattkins
3DS FC
2707-1796-0102
Now, first thing first, Nintendo is probably one of my favorite companies. But nothing is perfect, including Nintendo. So what has nintendo done recently or even way back that made you sad?

I'll go first. Their religion polocies.
>Tfw you'll never play The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth on a 3ds because it has too many religious references.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Nothing exactly upsetting to me, but more like valid criticisms. If Nintendo is going to have the same Virtual Console games on both 3DS and Wii U, I'd like it if buying one would net me the other. It'd be a real incentive to actually buy them.

As for games that aren't localized, it'd be Mother 3 and and Dragon Quest VII 3DS for sure (even though the latter should be Square's job).

WideMouthInk

Smash Cadet
Yeah, some cross buy privileges and a proper Nintendo Account for your e-shop games when you're forced change consoles due to an accident so you don't have to buy all those games again.

A cheaper price on their Digital versions of retail games would be nice too, since it'll actually interest consumers to get the digital copy over the physical one.

Aside from that, Ninty hasn't really bugged me on anything else...

Oh wait, the fact the GBA VC games are coming out to WiiU rather than 3DS...

I honestly don't understand how the 3DS isn't powerful enough to run a GBA emulator.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I'd imagine that the 3DS is powerful enough, but for whatever bizarre and incomprehensible reason, Nintendo decided to toss the handheld VC onto the console.

To answer the question, though, it's got to be how they just sit on a bunch of their franchises for *ages* without doing anything. I can understand some of 'em (basically the old NES games like Duck Hunt or Urban Champion), but not getting another Advance War or Custom Robo since the DS/Gamecube respectively is really annoying. That's just two examples I got from a list of their franchises on wikipedia, so it doesn't even count all of the really cool ideas that only get one shot and never show up again.

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
Making the huge offers (like, 3DS + Game code for Ninten Club = free game) when everyone (and me) already used the codes.
Damn, I could get a free game now -.-

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman

I honestly don't understand how the 3DS isn't powerful enough to run a GBA emulator.
I was going to post about this. Actually, the 3DS has GBA VC games, but they're only available to members of the ambassador program (people who bought a 3ds before the price drop). For some reason Nintendo hasn't made any of those games publically available.

Also, phasing out physical rewards for NA Club Nintendo when there's really nothing first party of interest on the 3DS eshop (other than retail titles, which I doubt they'll offer outside of platinum rewards) was pretty awful. Even with platinum this year, I would've taken another cheap calendar over DKCR.

Last edited:

WideMouthInk

Smash Cadet
I was going to post about this. Actually, the 3DS has GBA VC games, but they're only available to members of the ambassador program (people who bought a 3ds before the price drop). For some reason Nintendo hasn't made any of those games publically available.
But that's exactly my point! I actually have a 3DS with the ambassador games, and each one of them runs like a dream. However, it seems the 3DS is actually doing different type of emulation since you can't close the console mid game as it will still run, as opposed to going to sleep mode like the usual app.

Read somewhere that the emulation where you can save states and the like actually requires a bit more processing power, and that (for some reason) it can't properly emulate GBA games like the Wii U...

I call bull on it, though. If it can run a fully 3D and detailed 2D games like Dream Team, it really shouldn't have a problem running GBA titles and keep tabs on their save states. *grumbles*

asianaussie

Smash Hero
region-locking from DSi onwards

why even

also the thing where they port GBA games to Wii U VC but not 3DS, because that's logical and reasoned

Minato

穏やかじゃない
But that's exactly my point! I actually have a 3DS with the ambassador games, and each one of them runs like a dream. However, it seems the 3DS is actually doing different type of emulation since you can't close the console mid game as it will still run, as opposed to going to sleep mode like the usual app.

Read somewhere that the emulation where you can save states and the like actually requires a bit more processing power, and that (for some reason) it can't properly emulate GBA games like the Wii U...

I call bull on it, though. If it can run a fully 3D and detailed 2D games like Dream Team, it really shouldn't have a problem running GBA titles and keep tabs on their save states. *grumbles*
In a way, those Ambassador games are more like ports than a true emulation. Consoles with high graphical power doesn't really mean it can run anything that looks weaker than it. Emulating means that it's trying to find a means to make something that can recreate a console on that new console, and that takes a lot of power.

Some examples would be how the PS3 used to have hardware for PS2 games but had to switch to software emulation. There were some bugs or crashes on some games, and they eventually removed the chip for software emulation on PS2 discs. Another example is when how PSP homebrew can't do 16 bit emulation perfectly.

It's possible that Nintendo might be able to do it. But they're striving for 100 percent perfect emulation.

WideMouthInk

Smash Cadet
In a way, those Ambassador games are more like ports than a true emulation. Consoles with high graphical power doesn't really mean it can run anything that looks weaker than it. Emulating means that it's trying to find a means to make something that can recreate a console on that new console, and that takes a lot of power.

Some examples would be how the PS3 used to have hardware for PS2 games but had to switch to software emulation. There were some bugs or crashes on some games, and they eventually removed the chip for software emulation on PS2 discs. Another example is when how PSP homebrew can't do 16 bit emulation perfectly.

It's possible that Nintendo might be able to do it. But they're striving for 100 percent perfect emulation.
Still sounds rubbish to me. I mean, this console can run DS games after all, and I'm sure GBA games don't require that much power to run in there.

About the only thing I can agree on is the emulation program, since I use a PSX emulator to run some of my PS1 games on PC (which can run games like Skyrim and the like with little to no problems). It can run the games well, but there's the occasional slow down or missing textures. I used the actual CDs of the games but had to burn the isos in fear that the PC might scratch them up due to how fast it was running them. Strangely enough, it actually ran better without the CDs.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Still sounds rubbish to me. I mean, this console can run DS games after all, and I'm sure GBA games don't require that much power to run in there.

About the only thing I can agree on is the emulation program, since I use a PSX emulator to run some of my PS1 games on PC (which can run games like Skyrim and the like with little to no problems). It can run the games well, but there's the occasional slow down or missing textures. I used the actual CDs of the games but had to burn the isos in fear that the PC might scratch them up due to how fast it was running them. Strangely enough, it actually ran better without the CDs.
It can run DS games because it's not emulating them. It's through hardware backwards compatibility.

Remember the DS was this way too. Could run GBA games in the 2nd slot, but Gameboy games aren't compatible.

WideMouthInk

Smash Cadet
It can run DS games because it's not emulating them. It's through hardware backwards compatibility.

Remember the DS was this way too. Could run GBA games in the 2nd slot, but Gameboy games aren't compatible.
I'll give you that.

Hopefully the New 3DS or whatever other portable Nintendo cooks up in the future can actually emulate GBA titles.

Booster

Smash Lord
What they did with Xenoblade Chronicles. They clearly knew there was demand for it in the USA, there were petitions, people pirating the European game (It was actually the most pirated game of 2011 no joke) and when they finally announced it for localization, it was coming about 2 years after the Japanese release date. I couldn't help but be happy it was coming and be pissed off they took so long.

Oh yeah and deciding to go down the road of underpowered consoles starting with Wii. You don't need power to make a great game, but it really helps the 3rd Party developers to have it, Most 3rd Party games on Wii looked, ran and played like garbage despite them being the same devs who made great looking games for PS2.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
For me, the main non- game- or franchise-related complaint I have is these;
  1. Not being able to run DSi games from the SD card. I'm a big game collector, but the 3DS's system memory is tiny. I shouldn't have to delete a game if I want to play a different one.
  2. Not being able to back up first-party retail game save data like everything else on the 3DS. Signed, the guy who had his beloved pokémon slaughtered and his fully-developed Animal Crossing town demolished by a bungled system transfer.
Also,

Booster said:
Oh yeah and deciding to go down the road of underpowered consoles starting with Wii. You don't need power to make a great game, but it really helps the 3rd Party developers to have it, Most 3rd Party games on Wii looked, ran and played like garbage despite them being the same devs who made great looking games for PS2.

Last edited:

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
The fact that Nintendo only offered Digital games to platinum coin holders this year was kind of lame. One of the thing I thought was cool was the fact I could have a toy or poster that you couldn't purchase anywhere. You put sentimental value into that. There's no sentimental value into giving me a copy of Game and Wario. If anything the value of the game will do nothing but go down and it isn't something I can display in my nerd/game room.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Yeah, some cross buy privileges and a proper Nintendo Account for your e-shop games when you're forced change consoles due to an accident so you don't have to buy all those games again.

A cheaper price on their Digital versions of retail games would be nice too, since it'll actually interest consumers to get the digital copy over the physical one.

Aside from that, Ninty hasn't really bugged me on anything else...

The 3DS is powerful enough to run GBA games. Those who were fortunate enough early in the 3DS' life to get the Ambassador Program (I was one of the lucky ones) got 10 free NES games and 10 free GBA games, the latter of which has yet to be released via retail on the 3DS eShop. That said, this article might shed a little bit of light into the issue:

http://www.vooks.net/why-the-game-boy-advance-isnt-on-the-3ds-virtual-console/

finalark

SNORLAX
The recent fiasco with Smash 4 demo codes being give to Platinum Club Nintendo members was pretty awful. Some people actually sold their codes on eBay and ended up making more money than the game will cost upon release. It was made worse by the fact that some Platinum members didn't even get codes.

But in Nintendo's defense, it's not their fault people were dumb enough to spend money on a free demo.
I don't think that's really Nintendo's fault. Hell, prior to that I didn't even know about Club Nintendo Platinum. Can't fault them for wanting to promote it.

Although the fact that people spent money on codes for a demo they could have gotten for free a week later is hilarious.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
What they did with Xenoblade Chronicles. They clearly knew there was demand for it in the USA, there were petitions, people pirating the European game (It was actually the most pirated game of 2011 no joke)
You know you can just be upset about something without posting factually inaccurate information to make your stance look more valid, right? (Oh who am I kidding he's just going to tell me to go away again.)

Snurfsnarf said:
The recent fiasco with Smash 4 demo codes being give to Platinum Club Nintendo members was pretty awful. Some people actually sold their codes on eBay and ended up making more money than the game will cost upon release. It was made worse by the fact that some Platinum members didn't even get codes.

But in Nintendo's defense, it's not their fault people were dumb enough to spend money on a free demo.
I'm a little annoyed because I've never been able to change my settings to receive emails from Club Nintendo. The page just doesn't function for me. I sent them a support ticket about it a long time ago and got a useless cookie cutter response, and the same thing happened when I contacted them after the demo codes went out.

Berble

Smash Apprentice
Being against the competitive scene and trying to tear it down even, but then being accepting of it when they see how much money they can make off of it.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Mario party 10 makes me wanna puke, nintendo should just admit they have run out of idea's when it come to MP, and just release the 10 best mario party maps, get rid of the stupid maps with the mine cart, add the 200 best mini games, with every single last mario party member... in hd... RIP mario party.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I wished that being able to log my NNID in different consoles (ie two Wii Us) at once was possible, and be done in a simple way.

Also, being able to download purchased titles that are shared between the 3DS and Wii U. I have Mega Man 2 on my 3DS, would like to have it on the Wii U as well, but unfortunately I cannot without having to buy MM2 again, but on the Wii U.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Region locking, not pushing solid third-party support, not knowing what makes Smash Bros. good, selling me a brick for Christmas (they promised Wind Waker HD, but the eShop was unprepared for Christmas), making games incredibly easy and not changing up stuff from their bigger series.
Nothing exactly upsetting to me, but more like valid criticisms. If Nintendo is going to have the same Virtual Console games on both 3DS and Wii U, I'd like it if buying one would net me the other. It'd be a real incentive to actually buy them.
These are also VERY big problems for me. The virtual console thing should NOT be separated.

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Wii U is such a stupid name... 3DS as well, I guess. New 3DS? Parents will have a fun time going to GameStop and asking for a used New 3DS. I agree with TimeSmash.

finalark

SNORLAX
Again, not really something upsetting but I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo release English versions of the Japanese Fire Emblem games. Granted, given the lukewarm reception to Shadow Dragon I doubt we'll ever see that. Which is unfortunate, since Shadow Dragon's biggest flaw was how bare bones it was compared to the later games that we got. It's not really our fault that poor Shadow Dragon didn't have the almighty nostalgia barrier to protect it from criticism in the west.

This mostly comes from me wanting to play the games with an official translation, since in my experience fan translations tend to be spotty at best, the Mother 3 fan translation aside. Plus I just don't' like playing games on emulators. Not to mention I hear that many of the Japan-exclusive games are really damn good. Of course, I'm not really sure if this because they're actually better than the games we got or if its just some people letting the special aspect of elusive, foreign games getting to them.

Felix the Slayer

Ret-2-Go!
3DS FC
3093-7620-3358
Still waiting for that Golden Sun Dark Dawn sequel that can live up to the first 2 Golden Sun games Nintendo, still waiting:glare:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Once, I was eating a cone of soft-serve vanilla ice cream.

Nintendo showed up and slapped the cone out of my hand, then walked away laughing.

I was pretty inconsolable for the rest of the day.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I wouldn't put too much stock into that seal. Apparently 'Superman 64' was good enough to receive Nintendo's seal of quality.
It's just a jab on the logo and a trip down memory lane. There were plenty of NES games that make me shake my head.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
Nothing big really but i was quite upset the many times Twilight Princess was delayed lol. Oh wait i remember something huge that pisses me off....the fact that no one in south america (including me) can add funds to the eshop at all .... if that isn't racism then i don't know what it is... but yeah that would be the only thing, other than that i love nintendo since i have memory

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Taking away wavedashing, l-canceling, etc
No Majora's Mask remake confirmation(I'd be happy with a NO, solong as I get a straightforward answer)
Not paying attention to fan-reception. Other than that, I'm fine with what they've done.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Once, I was eating a cone of soft-serve vanilla ice cream.

Nintendo showed up and slapped the cone out of my hand, then walked away laughing.

I was pretty inconsolable for the rest of the day.

I don't like that Club Nintendo will not give me points for 2DS 3DS and 3DS XL. Or points for any game I purchased at full price and multiple copies. Like 3 Smash 4 copies. Or that game ID's expire and cannot be redeemed after 4 years from game release. Booo

I am 100 points away.from platinum membership..... decided to register and enter in every Wii or 3DS DS game I can find. If ID's didn't expire after 4 years I would have made platinum. Or if I could get credit for ALL my handhelds but Nintendo counts all of mine as the "same" ......jerks

That was not funny the first time I heard this, from Dane Cook on one of his stand-up albums released a looking time ago

And it is still not funny... you did not even say/type it right. Unless you maybe thought your interpretation would be better,

OR you purposely misquoted it so no one would realize you are recycling Dane Cook's "humor"
Booooo

Last edited:
Top Bottom