• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
FG Link's who only use projectiles. And Lucario's who spam aura sphere.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Oh boy, bad things in FG again!

People who let their kill moves go stale. Why? Why do you keep using kill options as a damage building tool? Stop. Stop that. Learn to play Smash.

People who think that because a certain character can be played a certain way, that it's the only way, and they know that only way so well that they must be good as them. (I'm looking at you people who don't know how to play Robin but insist on a ditto anyway. Stop using Thoron. Oh my good lord.)

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
DK users. I've come across some good DK players, but they keep acting like ***holes double taunting and stuff since I don't know the matchup.

TheJolteon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
x5000luigi
Two words. INPUT DELAY. That is the most annoying thing ever. For example im going to edgeguard you and I miss and my second jump didnt come out quick enough or I threw you and u airdodged before the attack came out. Nintendo thinks For Glory is a good way to improve and its a good way to practice yelling. Also how about the good old laggy for glory Link who spams arrows and boomerangs and smashes when u get close and u can't do anything because of how much lag there is. Also the Samus's who roll around the entire stage in a bunch of lag just shooting charged shots and missiles. Also the laggy Little Mac's who spam smash attacks and Sonics who spam spin dash with a bunch of input delay. don't play for glory. play ladder or tournaments.

Bellerophon

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistermaster420
:4mario:s who only know how to d-throw -> up tilt, dash attack, and spam smash attacks. Why do Mario's smashes have so little endlag? -_-

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I've probably said this before, but :4tlink:'s that run away and spam projectiles as well as down taunt aggravate me to no end (especially in 2v2).

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
This has been said a billion times already, but yes: Lag! And Input Delay!
What's your record for input delay, guys? Mine was probably about 700ms from when I pressed jump and I actually jumped! Hitting techs, grabs, perfect shields and air combos is impossible in For Glory, even when the lag is not as extreme as that. I have about 84 For Glory matches and the ones I had decent connection I can probably count with just one of my hands. I'm genuinely surprised I still have a decent Winning Percentage (60%) considering I have to win most matches with luck.
Marios who only know how to d-throw -> up tilt, dash attack, and spam smash attacks. Why do Mario's smashes have so little endlag? -_-
I'm not gonna defend this behaviour, but when you're lagging EXTREMELY badly, that's sort of the only way you can even attempt to get a single hit on someone...

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
Two words. INPUT DELAY. That is the most annoying thing ever. For example im going to edgeguard you and I miss and my second jump didnt come out quick enough or I threw you and u airdodged before the attack came out. Nintendo thinks For Glory is a good way to improve and its a good way to practice yelling. Also how about the good old laggy for glory Link who spams arrows and boomerangs and smashes when u get close and u can't do anything because of how much lag there is. Also the Samus's who roll around the entire stage in a bunch of lag just shooting charged shots and missiles. Also the laggy Little Mac's who spam smash attacks and Sonics who spam spin dash with a bunch of
Campers? No problem,rolling and flowchart tactics? Not to bad,input lag...no way in hell.its bad enough when my moves come out a second later then u got characters like:4mario:and:4yoshi: who are safe to begin with even more so due to constant lag.

TrapOnLotus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StrapOnFetus
I got so tired of rolling in For Glory that I about mastered Dance trotting to show and mock those that roll. Also, Little Mac's down smash is good punish for those that do that....Gonna be realllllly great to kill Cloud on For Glory whenever he tries to roll behind me.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
People that taunt you any chance they can after 'thinking' they got the kill along with ones that taunt after every other kill.

It has happened to me a couple of times even. Some recorded, some don't.

As a matter of fact-I do-

Near the end, this person goes for the taunt, only to get REKT in the end.

:bowser:

Pink'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3624-7812
Just met a guy on For Glory who thought I was a jurassic-period dinosaur's excrement, and he called me all sorts of names. If I meet him in real life, he'll die.

TheJolteon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
x5000luigi
I met a guy on For Glory who played Falcon. I accidently SD'd he he taunted 3 times in a row. At that point I go in Completely erasing him in 45 seconds taunting 3 times when the star KO happened on the last stock. RIP

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
So I just got off of a for glory match. My god.
It's a Samus. They were good, I'll give them that. They didn't roll too much, they didn't spam that much.
He was, however, one of those taunting A*sholes

There was also some input lag.
You know the kind that you can't really see on the screen, but you can just feel it in your bones as you play? That's the worst kind, because you know it's there, but its very very slight. Just enough to f**k you in the a*s when you try to perfect shield Charge Shots....

That's not even the worst part.
The worst part was when we were both at 120% +, and I get SCREWED by a PHANTOM HIT on an f-smash. He punishes with a sweetspot F-smash for the game, and that's that.

For those who don't know what a phantom hit/glancing blow is, it's when the very, VERY edge of the hitbox touches the very, VERY edge of the opponent's hurtbox. The pixels for the hit/hurtboxes are LITERALLY touching, but don't overlap, so they don't register. When this happens, you get some red sparks, and a small *TAC* sound. I never want to hear that again.

Last edited:

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
INPUT LAG FOR GODS SAKE.

Seriously though who thought of that genius idea. I'd rather have a laggy match rather than INPUT LAG.

So many recoveries screwed up by that.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
People who abuse team attack being off in 2v2 FG and think they're the best players around. Actually ran into a a couple today and it was very frustrating.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Oh god.

I know that this is the point of view of someone who main a character that lack approaches but...

People that never approach. Never.

That stupid :4marth: especially.

It's a fighting game for **** sake, try at least to not only jump backward and do Fair, go play Mario Kart 8 or others racing games if your goal is to simply be faster than your opponent.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Hate when that happens. When the other player just stays there, waiting for you to attack and only does it when you're in close proximity.

It is in those kind of moments when I'll only spam proyectiles until my opponent decides to move. Might be a little cruel, but the same could be said about the way the other player is acting like a lazy bum standing there with oportunism on its side. :facepalm:

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
For Glory :4darkpit:. Everytime I run into one, 9 times out of 10, this guy is going to be spamming Side-B. I hate having to listen to "RAWR!!! ELECTROSHOCK!!!11!" a hundred times a match. I almost never see :4pit: doing it.

TheJolteon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
x5000luigi
For Glory :4darkpit:. Everytime I run into one, 9 times out of 10, this guy is going to be spamming Side-B. I hate having to listen to "RAWR!!! ELECTROSHOCK!!!11!" a hundred times a match. I almost never see :4pit: doing it.
Actually Side-B spamming Pits are not annoying like at all. All you have to do is shield and thats it.

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
Guys who use top tiers, but ****ing suck at it.
Like, seriously, YOU CAN'T SPAM FSMASH AND DSMASH WITH SHEIK.
Pikachu? These people use Uthrow to Thunder, and spam smashes. Where are the u-tilts?
Seriously, it's ridiculous how so many do this.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
people who taunt after having taken one stock, regardless if they are winning or not. You haven't won yet so why are you acting like you have?
Meh, I do this at times. My character's taunts are pretty cute and they make me feel better if I'm losing and confident if I'm winning. I would not like people always assuming I taunt because I'm a douche.

Last edited:

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
Yesterday I had a match with someone on FG, and I beat them the first round without much of an issue. There was no significant lag from what I can tell and it was a decent match. Despite him taunting mid-match (excessive taunting usually makes me leave a room), I stuck around because it was a decent match with a good connection.

So the next round starts, and the opponent has decided to ditto me with Mega Man. Additionally, there is suddenly a ton of lag for some weird reason. I play it out, but with the lagged inputs I manage to not land a lot of kill setups that I normally would. Near the end of the match, we both were at kill percent and he manages to land the last hit despite really not playing MM all that well the entire time. He taunts of course, because he 'sure showed me!' Then he leaves the room. The rest of the evening I was frustrated at this match and didn't play well in the following games, leading to more frustration.

Crap like that is what makes me want to stay away from FG sometimes. But then you run into a lot of nice people as well and that helps even things out.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to say something that normally happens when I go into FG. Is that once a while I fight someone with an alright character, although if its a spammer or show-off, that's another matter entirely but, once I beat the player or beats me, then changes into MY CHARACTER for a ditto match.

Yeah.

But the funny thing is that, unlike their first character, this one completely, like, SUCKS. Can't recover well. Don't know the pros-cons of him/her. Spam sometimes the same move only to fall to their demise, and are beaten in less than a minute.

Don't know if its a trend or it happens to anyone, but it is something that amuses more than annoy.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
What grinds my gears the absolute most about For Glory is people who refuse to act like good sports even when given the opportunity.

I can't stress this enough. Last night I went against a player who two stocked me our first match and as I was flying off into the background he not only taunts but tea-bags as well. Despite his rudeness he played extremely well and obviously knew what he was doing. I wished him a "G ' G" in good sportsmanship and decided to go against him again. He won every match we had and at one point I put up "Wow! XD", "Ur Good!" tags as well. I was doing my best to be a good sport and he returns that with excessive disrespect.

I guess I'm the one at fault for thinking maybe they would in turn become a good sport if I showed them I could be one myself.

Even worse, tonight in a 2V2 match me and my friend lost against these two players each and every time. I wished them a couple "G ' Gs" and they did the same at first; however, our last match they suddenly taunted an excess amount and put up the tags "LOLOLOL" "CANT WIN?" and cycled through them repeatedly..... What? You went from being good sports to that? Did we do something wrong or what...?

It's amazing how many people refuse to quit stroking their Egos long enough to act like decent players when you try to be one yourself.

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Recently, it's been people who either are on the brink of being KOed or getting a few early KOs and then just run away and roll constantly to secure their lead/not get KOed.

Last edited:

SSJ1/2

Smash Rookie
>Make it short and sweet: What makes you rage in For Glory?

Just the ~0.2 sec of lag I get on even the best wifi. It causes me to miss so many attacks, recoveries, and shields because of mistimings.
It honestly does make me a bit salty when a FGLink or the like taunts like they're hot stuff when I can't recover in time and SD.

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
I hate it when people lose to you, then switch to your main and play them terribly. No. Stop. You can't spam Mach Tornado. Meta Knight has more combos than Dthrow-->Up B. NO, DON'T SIDE B OFF THE EDGE!

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
KirbCider KirbCider I had something similar against a :4gaw:, although it was less extreme.

A good player, who beat me the first time and taunt twice (can't really blame G&W for that), I put a GG, I managed to beat him the second match, and everytime he was running away more, doing only attacks with low lag and back rolls.

I mean. You already proved that you can be better than that, why running away and spam?

Also, I had a lot of ragequit recently. Even though it does shorten the battle, I mean... At least try.

TheJolteon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
x5000luigi
Ever wonder how when you get a KO then the lag starts up then after they get the lead it dies down? Has that happened to everyone else because I bet it did? I was facing a Diddy Kong who was an open book and when I got the lead The magic circle of life appears and somehow they didn't mess up a thing in all that lag while I couldn't even press the A button.

ghWyPakDzVvPncx76h2J

Smash Cadet
Final Destination, there is no reason for glory should be limited ONLY to a stage (layout) that is very counter intuitive to online play. Why is omegas and FD a bad for glory stage?
1. It encourages you to play ridiculously safe, usually leading to some really biased matchups and that combined with lag is a flat out nuh uh, just no. It's not a great neutral stage and oftentimes in tournaments I find myself essentially striking this stage every so often due to the biased slow paced nature.
2. It leads for some really sloppy and stale matches. *Sigh* No sane person would honestly play against Sonic or Little Mac in FD, it makes for some very defensive matches and overall approaching is immediately stale and most of the time you are waiting for your opponent to approach, it's just bad, that on top of lag is even more bad so the winner really isn't determined by skill, it's just determined by who can take stage control and react quickest in the slow paced environment that is for glory, not the combos or anything, just if you see them get on to the stage grab them immediately and rolls onto the stage become very unsafe, so the whole thing is just biased in the favor of who can easily attain stage control.
3. Lag: Final Destination is possibly the worst stage to have in online, better yet the only stage. There is always lag in the online environment, you can't deny that, and if the connection is adequate enough to play semi-smoothly (it's never smooth in online) then you will always find problems, most notably trying to get onto the stage from the ledge, no matter what, whatever position you take, whatever input that you desire, it will be reacted upon, because those frames do in-fact matter; the exploitation of these frames is prevalent in For Glory so as a result this toppled upon easy stage control, stale matches (where the only way to speed up the match is to get your opponent onto the ledge), and overly safe gameplay essentially makes the game very reliant on exploiting the slow pace environment of online to just pressure opponents near the ledge and reaction upon the path, if you really just have experience, then you will know that most matches come down to this, and that the entire premise of the match will have you around there 5-30% of the time. Nearly anyone is able to get easy amounts of high damage, or kos just because of this.
The point in whole is just that For Glory and all that glorious salt can easily be attributed to the poor stage choice that they had. Online would be much better in For Glory and the whole "little mac is cheap and sonic is cancer" mentality would die down a bit if you had stages that weren't flat out based in their favor and don't play by an unusually slow game pace that mostly relies on stage control.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
So yesterday on FG, I came across something absolutely disgusting.

Not only was it a Link arrow spammer, which I didn't think actually existed and I thought it was one of those things that people complained about more than there actually was, but he was also a shield-roller.

It was super aggravating how he beat me.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
There seems to be an unspoken rule in FG that you should ONLY use one character. I don't get it. Doesn't sticking to one character get boring? Are you seriously training to be the best with this one guy? On a mode with a flat surface and input lag? It just bothers me when people use only one character, almost as if they are afraid to deviate and try something new because it risks loosing.

Oh, and sore winners. I beat you 3 or 4 times and then you finally beat me and gloat. And don't try to hide that you reported me for petty crap. I can tell.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
So yesterday on FG I came across a try-hard Shiek main while I was playing as Mega Man, and I beat him by grabbing him, up throw, uair.

He was so bad I felt better about myself.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
So yesterday on FG I came across a try-hard Shiek main while I was Mega Man, and I beat him easily by grabbing him, up-throw, and uair.

He was so hilariously bad I felt better about how I play.

Anatase

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilentHuntsman
Whenever I play a For Glory match, my first instinct is to crouch a couple times (Or hold crouch if I'm playing Dedede). If they crouch back, then I know they're friendly, and that I most likely have an at-least enjoyable matchup. If they don't, then they're either a try-hard (Why...) or they just don't get the inkling to.

The people I hate are the ones that crouch back, then taunt every opportunity they get. And no, I don't mean a taunt party. I mean it in the bad way. Like, taunting every time I go offstage kind of way.

Oh, and I hate people who go into 2v2 only to begin by SD'ing three times. Yeah, thanks, mate, I'll just fight this Ness and Pikachu by myself then.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I am honestly convinced at this point that there is no such thing as a respectable :4sonic: player. Every one I fight either spams attacks, taunts, or both.

Today I KO'd one and he does the "come one" taunt as a sort of salute. As soon as I taunt back he tries to attack me (though kept missing lol). He makes a comeback by spamming down-B, kills me and does the "tsk tsk" taunt. Of course he leave right after.

Last edited:
Top Bottom