• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
If it happens more than once, then it isn't accidental right? Then that warrants a taunt right? :p

(Because that happened to me once, actually...quite amazing and worth of taunting even...)

But other than that, I only taunt at the start of a fight to show that the match is in good fun AND only if the other player is being a jerk and give him/her a taste of his/her own medicine.

:bowser:

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
People that talk mad trash after winning 1 game and then they leave. ANYBODY can win once, no matter how bad you are. Back up that talk and PROVE that you can win more than once. It's even worse when this man even had some lag spikes and rolled A LOT.

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
What grinds my gears? People who spam powerful moves in FG 2v2s. You know, Charizard's Flare Blitz, Zelda's teleport, Little Mac's Smash Attacks. The combination of lag, Omega Stages only, and lack of Team Attack drives me up the wall. Especially no Team Attack.

Oh, and there's always that one guy on your team who would rather spam Link's arrows on the other side of the stage instead of actually helping you take out the opposing team.

For Glory 2v2s in general make me salty. :ohwell:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
People that talk mad trash after winning 1 game and then they leave. ANYBODY can win once, no matter how bad you are. Back up that talk and PROVE that you can win more than once. It's even worse when this man even had some lag spikes and rolled A LOT.
Bonus points when they do this after you've beaten them three times in a row, if not more. Oh yes, you finally won your first match with me. Please do run off after insulting me so you can tell your friends how cool and awesome you are. Seriously. Deflate your ego a bit.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
What grinds my gears? People who spam powerful moves in FG 2v2s. You know, Charizard's Flare Blitz, Zelda's teleport, Little Mac's Smash Attacks. The combination of lag, Omega Stages only, and lack of Team Attack drives me up the wall. Especially no Team Attack.

Oh, and there's always that one guy on your team who would rather spam Link's arrows on the other side of the stage instead of actually helping you take out the opposing team.

For Glory 2v2s in general make me salty. :ohwell:
See, this is fascinating to me. If anything, FG 2v2 gets me much less worked up than 1v1 can. Though having seen one too many double villager teams set up impregnable walls of projectiles through one another, I can still sympathize with the friendly fire bit.

HIMA14

Smash Rookie
NNID
HIMA14BITS
What grinds my gears?,when people change to Rockman after beating them with him,they just think they are gonna defeat me using my own main and later...surprise I beat them,I don't know I just hate when they use my main just for revenge and they are like ''I will show you how to play with Rockman''...hate Dittos BTW

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
This so much. Just because they managed to beat you once, doesn't mean that you're inferior and they're superior. Is like: "Wow, you really show me off some moves, I suck..." :facepalm:

At least, more recently, it has played out to me of being the contrary. Just with me BODY'ING them and taunting after such an offensive display of spams and taunts, they got themselves where they wanted.

Empoleon_master

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3136-7076-2637
I HATE when people don't get the quick crouching at the beginning of the game or after you ko them/they KO you after a good fight, so they just go "look, it's an idiot doing noob honor stuff KILL THEM!!!" I swear if I had way more skill than I do now I would wreck them so hard in the game! D:<

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Well seems like FG is still not being nice to me since I have more to complain about. (Woohoo! -and it's more about taunting, would you look at that?)

People who taunt when they do something really really underwhelming. Had a guy triple-taunt me after gimping my first stock as Ganon at 200+%, he was on 95% and 1 stock.

I just... I don't understand, do you think you're winning? *facepalm*

Needless to say they paid for it because I respawned quick enough to catch them with a f-air, but point is, it's just irritating when people taunt easy, underwhelming kills. Not even I do it and I'm obsessed with taunting!

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
For me, anything people do during the match is fair game; but when they make things personal between matches, that crosses the line (of honor and decency). Down with "punk" culture, and the legitimacy of holding nothing sacred.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I'm going to go back on FG soon, but with the specific goal in mind of being incredibly nice and seeing how that works out. Maybe a friendly taunt to start each match (Yoshi's down taunt always seemed friendly to me) and tags like "UR GOOD" "GG" and "RESECT YOU" in between matches. (also "DONT GO" but thats for other reasons) I want to make FG a nicer place for everyone, from the 12 year old noobs to the top players

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I'm going to go back on FG soon, but with the specific goal in mind of being incredibly nice and seeing how that works out. Maybe a friendly taunt to start each match (Yoshi's down taunt always seemed friendly to me) and tags like "UR GOOD" "GG" and "RESECT YOU" in between matches. (also "DONT GO" but thats for other reasons) I want to make FG a nicer place for everyone, from the 12 year old noobs to the top players
...-and yet you play Ganon, so everyone will assume you're trying to disrespect and be ironic about GGs. :')

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I also play Yoshi so :p

But that's true. And I really don't know how to address that while still using Ganon...
TBH, I just tend to taunt at the begining of the match and/or purposely avoid overuse of Flame Choke/Wizards Foot - most actually good players don't seem to mind as long as you're not awful as Ganon, but there are still a small amount of players who see Ganon as nothing more than a joke, it's incredibly frustrating.

Speaking of, that grinds my gears in FG, so we're still on topic!

Empoleon_master

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3136-7076-2637
TBH, I just tend to taunt at the begining of the match and/or purposely avoid overuse of Flame Choke/Wizards Foot - most actually good players don't seem to mind as long as you're not awful as Ganon, but there are still a small amount of players who see Ganon as nothing more than a joke, it's incredibly frustrating.

Speaking of, that grinds my gears in FG, so we're still on topic!
My friend mains gannon and can wipe the floor with me and our friends, I don't really see why gannon is a joke. Also what grinds my gears in FG is how a link player can and will always throw a bomb into the air and ALWAYS lands on me somehow.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
My friend mains gannon and can wipe the floor with me and our friends, I don't really see why gannon is a joke. Also what grinds my gears in FG is how a link player can and will always throw a bomb into the air and ALWAYS lands on me somehow.
Ganon isn't, that's the point, he just has "disrespect" written all over him to most people because of Ganoncide, his arguably high skill cap, and his slow speed.

(Skill cap in the sense you have to make all the reads, anyway.)

-also, agree 100%, that Link's raining bombs are kinda BS. lol Don't usually get hit by them, but they're still BS.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Spammy players.

That is what grind my gears, always.

For example:

Not sure if this Pikachu's playstyle is 'normal' or 'correct' but at one point in the match, not saved because of the lenght of the match, when I kept this guy in the air with kicks and punches as I was rushing, he kept on THUNDER'ing me that I narrowly managed to avoid EACH TIME until losing the first stock in the match. Like, WOW...even if that wasn't enough, the amount of shocks thrown in that match exceded in it... :facepalm:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
This one is a small one and in truth probably shouldn't bother me at all really; however due to how much time I spend in For Glory (or any of Sm4sh's Online Modes in general) it's actually starting to get more annoying and sad every time I come across these kinds of players:

People who have to act egotistical, or superior than you even after they lost horribly to you.

You can let a loss not bother you. That is fine, but to act so stuck up about it like you're still the best player in universe makes me want to take you down a peg. Are you trying to show me you don't care? Because you're achieving the opposite effect by doing that, buddy.

Act as smug as you want, but don't start whining all of the sudden when I roll out some disrespect to take that smugness away.

Last edited:

Thorina

Smash Rookie
A recent thing I've noticed- When people stand there and taunt when you SD to leave the match because it's laggy, then are on "Viewing Results" screen, presumably saving the replay (because they go back to "OK!" instead of leaving the lobby). I don't get it.

Another thing is when you're having equally matched games with someone, and then they bring out a different character and just spam something. Had this happen last night after like 6 games with someone and an equal score, and then they brought out Bowser and did nothing but side-b, down-b, and taunt. Sigh.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
People who run away from you most of the match. I remember going against Zero Suit Samus players who would do nothing but just jump in the air and do the Down Special of her's all the time, and since I played Lucas and Pit, who are slower than Zero Suit Samus, it becomes an annoying game of cat and mouse.

Astellius

Smash Ace
And I really don't know how to address that while still using Ganon...
I think that you should probably try thinking of tags that are less likely to be read as sarcastic or condescending. Tags like "GOOD MATCH" or "WELL PLAYED" are probably more likely to come across as better than "GG" and "U R GOOD", provided the game was actually good and/or well played. With Ganon, it's probably better just to not use the word 'respect' in the tag at all, because, well, there's just too much baggage attached to that word if you're going to use the king of disrespect.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I think that you should probably try thinking of tags that are less likely to be read as sarcastic or condescending. Tags like "GOOD MATCH" or "WELL PLAYED" are probably more likely to come across as better than "GG" and "U R GOOD", provided the game was actually good and/or well played. With Ganon, it's probably better just to not use the word 'respect' in the tag at all, because, well, there's just too much baggage attached to that word if you're going to use the king of disrespect.
Maybe if people generally just stopped calling him "The King of Disrespect" that'd be a nice first step to Ganon not being somewhat of a joke to people. *eyeroll*

Astellius

Smash Ace
Maybe if people generally just stopped calling him "The King of Disrespect" that'd be a nice first step to Ganon not being somewhat of a joke to people. *eyeroll*
Sorry if my comment touched upon a sore spot for you. I don't consider Ganon to be a joke, and Ganon is certainly generally perceived as the "king of disrespect." My comment was geared towards addressing that perception in the context of the tags. You can get mad at me for that if you like, I suppose, for mentioning the stereotype, but it probably isn't going to accomplish anything. Moreover, the title is appropriate for Ganon because of, well, his character, his moveset, how he acts, and how a lot of players act when they use him, all of which basically secures him that title. The title, however, also need not directly tie into whether he's viewed as a joke character. If you want to change that aspect, convince people to play him better and non-trashily!

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Sorry if my comment touched upon a sore spot for you. I don't consider Ganon to be a joke, and Ganon is certainly generally perceived as the "king of disrespect." My comment was geared towards addressing that perception in the context of the tags. You can get mad at me for that if you like, I suppose, for mentioning the stereotype, but it probably isn't going to accomplish anything. Moreover, the title is appropriate for Ganon because of, well, his character, his moveset, how he acts, and how a lot of players act when they use him, all of which basically secures him that title. The title, however, also need not directly tie into whether he's viewed as a joke character. If you want to change that aspect, convince people to play him better and non-trashily!
I'm not mad, it's just always a little cringy to me whenever people mention it. I don't find any characters disrespectful. Sure there are poor ways to play said characters, but even then Ganon is by far one of the least offending in my opinion. It's basically just Ganoncide that's earned him the reputation, and I just really don't understand it.

Sure playing Ganon as a character isn't exactly gonna give you any sort of badge of honour, but he's still a character with potential all the same. I just hate the idea that people see winning as him as some form of dishonour our something.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
A recent thing I've noticed- When people stand there and taunt when you SD to leave the match because it's laggy, then are on "Viewing Results" screen, presumably saving the replay (because they go back to "OK!" instead of leaving the lobby). I don't get it.
Lag doesn't show up in Replays, so if they were to post it for others to see or even to Youtube it looks like they made you Rage Quit or possibly even gave up because "They were too good of a player". Given how For Glory is at times I wouldn't doubt someone doing this.

This is why I never SD for any reason unless it's to return the favor (some players will SD when you SD by accident to make it even). I hardly ever encounter any kind of lag, let alone horrible lag. When I do I just power through it despite it becoming a 10 minute long match.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
People who run away from you most of the match. I remember going against Zero Suit Samus players who would do nothing but just jump in the air and do the Down Special of her's all the time, and since I played Lucas and Pit, who are slower than Zero Suit Samus, it becomes an annoying game of cat and mouse.
THIS so much. You have no idea how many times this happens to other slow characters like, let's say Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Dedede, Ike and such. It doesn't at all that the other player is being a gutless runner in the entirety of the match using smash attacks when you're close to the opponent... :facepalm:

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
This is so true. I feel so pressured by ZSS to do something even if she's just moving around.

:C Not a fun matchup

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Oh, yeah, people running away...

ZSS running away, trying to only stun you to hit you with that Up-B is annoying.
Not my best performance, but I was proud of that last kill.

But the worst was probably this trolly Sonic. (who was definitely rolling around at the speed of sound at some point).

Surely he trolled only at the beggining, but... It's a fighting game. People seems to not understand that sometimes.

Thorina

Smash Rookie
Lag doesn't show up in Replays, so if they were to post it for others to see or even to Youtube it looks like they made you Rage Quit or possibly even gave up because "They were too good of a player". Given how For Glory is at times I wouldn't doubt someone doing this.

This is why I never SD for any reason unless it's to return the favor (some players will SD when you SD by accident to make it even). I hardly ever encounter any kind of lag, let alone horrible lag. When I do I just power through it despite it becoming a 10 minute long match.
This is exactly what I suspected, but didn't want to be true because it's just too...pathetic, haha. Oh well, I guess.

Unfortunately for some reason lately, around maybe 70% of the time I get matched with people from Mexico or Spain (I'm east coast US) so I get quite a lot of laggy matches happening these days.

MiiSeeks

Smash Rookie
Toon Links bomb somehow hitting through the stage and stage spiking me.
Dr. Mario reflecting Elwind on start up and it flies upwards but meteor smashes down.

I'm actually more fascinated than annoyed

KirbCider

Smash Ace
This is exactly what I suspected, but didn't want to be true because it's just too...pathetic, haha. Oh well, I guess.
It is For Glory. You're going to get tons of "Pathetic" attitudes Online especially when it comes to gaming.

I'm not trying to say For Glory is a disgusting cesspool of rude players because that isn't exactly true; however given how it's a game mode that is played Online I expect to get that kind of behavior once in a while. Anyways, what I said may or may not be true as it was just my speculation on the situation. It may not be the case, but it certainly can happen if someone was willing to take that step to seem "Cool".

Who knows how many shared "RageQuit"/"Lol they suk" matches on the Wii U/3DS were just due to lag.

Last edited:

Thorina

Smash Rookie
Who knows how many shared "RageQuit"/"Lol they suk" matches on the Wii U/3DS were just due to lag.
I guess it's to be expected for online stuff yeah, still I get a little frustrated that people will do these kinds of things for attention. But yeah, ever since noticing that this was apparently a thing, I always keep that in mind whenever I see a 'lol noob ragequit' vid pop up somewhere. Anyways, thanks for the response, wanted to see if anyone else suspected that as well.

Astellius

Smash Ace
Recently, I fought a greninja who wouldn't approach at all, no matter what. It was stupid and highly annoying. After a couple matches, I switched to Fox and said, "Imma firin' mah lazer!" Pewpewpew. The greninja, he didn't know what to do. He jumped around some in a futile attempt to avoid the lasers. He threw out some water shurikens. He hid out on the ledge some, so I ran over to kill off a stock of his. He mostly tried to defensively attack and run away. I then resumed the pewpewpew party, he tries to avoid it some more, he taunts in the lasers, etc. I keep on with the pewpewpew until I got bored and decided it was time to put him down.

He, of course, could have stopped my Fox spam garbage barrage by simply approaching and attacking me. Greninja is pretty quick, and Fox takes his time putting away his non-flinch-inducing laser gun. But, no, that was just simply too much for him. He decided that it was better to bathe in the lasers of disgrace than to actually try to approach me and, Idk, play the game.

PS, I also enjoyed that video with the bs Sonic that someone posted above. It really took the cake when he spammed himself into the pit.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Recently, I fought a greninja who wouldn't approach at all, no matter what. It was stupid and highly annoying. After a couple matches, I switched to Fox and said, "Imma firin' mah lazer!" Pewpewpew. The greninja, he didn't know what to do. He jumped around some in a futile attempt to avoid the lasers. He threw out some water shurikens. He hid out on the ledge some, so I ran over to kill off a stock of his. He mostly tried to defensively attack and run away. I then resumed the pewpewpew party, he tries to avoid it some more, he taunts in the lasers, etc. I keep on with the pewpewpew until I got bored and decided it was time to put him down.

He, of course, could have stopped my Fox spam garbage barrage by simply approaching and attacking me. Greninja is pretty quick, and Fox takes his time putting away his non-flinch-inducing laser gun. But, no, that was just simply too much for him. He decided that it was better to bathe in the lasers of disgrace than to actually try to approach me and, Idk, play the game.
People who never approach need to rethink their poor life choices.

Had a similar experience with a Robin ditto in FG where the guy would never use a single sword hit and insisted on always charging to Thoron and hiding behind Arcfire walls. I just stood far enough away to hit him with Elthunders/Books/Swords and let the idiocy commence.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
It's the first time I experienced it (I'm blessed, I know), but I truly despise Lag Switchers. I faced one just a few hours ago.

First match, I was Palutena and he was Falcon (yeah, Falcon AGAIN), there was no lag and I won.
Second match, I decide to switch to my main with whom I'm infinitely better than Palutena. And the strangest thing happen : whenever the Falcon was in a disadvantaged state, the match would instantly begin to lag, meaning I couldn't do a thing basically. The worst being that it was a game of cat and mouse, and you know how speedy Peach is compared to Falcon.

Nevertheless, I stayed even though I was really suspicious of this sudden increase of lag whenever it was my time to shine (need I mention that the Falcon could basically do all his fancy combo and never lagged when he attacked ?). The third match was even worse than the second. I eventually couldn't take it and left the room. It was just way too blatant.

It was really unnerving so I felt like ranting on this thread lol. But seriously, thank goodness lag switchers aren't that common on wifi. I have no trouble against Falcon usually, so to lose that badly with Peach was something out of this realm. Especially since it was a basic Falcon with basic combos (which means grab to Upairs).

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
FG LINK's. I CANNOT EXPRESS ENOUGH HOW MUCH I DON'T LIKE THEM. :facepalm:

Here's an entry in my never-ending adventures against this atrocious specimen-

Just, damn...

Top Bottom