• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
I usually interpret "Taunting after every launch" as "on tilt" rather than "being insulting" -- you're throwing away your stage control to taunt me, I feel like you're the one who's pissed off.
Its more effective when ur winning

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
See. Its very effective at making people salty.
Is this the youtube comment section? It feels like I'm talking to someone who'd say "umad bro" without a hint of irony.

That's what you sound like right now.

Last edited:

loud4332

Smash Rookie
The fact that everyone online is a giant **** no matter what happens the taunting and the BM mademe stop playing the game online at all on for glory.

Porygon24

Smash Rookie
Rollcario. Roll roll roll aura sphere roll roll aura sphere aura sphere roll roll roll roll roll aura sphere etc.
I was literally destroying this Lucario, but then he evolved into Rollcario using Cheap Tactics that had PP Ups applied to it.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Latency. I don't want to play people outside my region. Losing because you got outplayed is a good learning experience. Losing because your inputs are delayed while your opponents are just fine is annoying as hell.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
My Circle Pad on the 3DS keeps going down when it's in a neutral position and when R button is still inputed even when I'm not pressing it during matches.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Latency. I don't want to play people outside my region. Losing because you got outplayed is a good learning experience. Losing because your inputs are delayed while your opponents are just fine is annoying as hell.
To them it means the same thing which is even more annoying..hence the taunting...

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
Hard-hitting, super telegraphed attacks in a laggy environment. Stuff like Charge Shot that if not for input lag I'd dodge :/
It's such a bad feeling cause you know that in a normal environment it's so telegraphed you can dodge it, so you feel like an idiot dying to it :/

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Lots of people hating on character switching, but I get more tired of playing people who only plays one character(especially the common ones). I end up having to leave and find a different match up to keep things interesting.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I hate it when DK's spam their back throw, it really irks me. >_<

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Lots of people hating on character switching, but I get more tired of playing people who only plays one character(especially the common ones). I end up having to leave and find a different match up to keep things interesting.
I don't mind character switching as much since I know that a lot of players just use For Glory to practice. That said, it's disappointing to have a really close match with someone only to have them switch (when I never do). I feel that if you're going to come back after a close match, it needs to be the same match. Then again, maybe they were using an alt and wanted practice with their main against me.

The absolute worst thing that really frustrates me is when I go against someone in a Best of 3. They take the first match, so I go back. The second match we keep the same characters, but I win. Then, for the 3rd and final match..... they counter-pick me to hopefully get the easy Best of 3 victory. Lame! It rarely works, but you can't even imagine my disappointment when they go this sad route. If you're facing someone in a Best of 3, especially when the matches are close, you should stick with the same character throughout. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

DanceLouisDance

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-9158-5550
-People who switch to top tier characters or better MU after losing 2-0, kill me once then taunt, I win in the end and they leave right after.
-Mario players who kind of space you and wait for you w/ instant smash attacks, so i space them. the game takes forever, first time for them probably, they either sd or i win and they leave :/

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Happens alot..when you main Ganon..
Same for Dr. Mario mains. People absolutely HATE losing to "low tier" characters. That's why I love maining them. Anyone can win with easy characters, it takes actual skill to consistently win with the supposed lower tier of the roster.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Same for Dr. Mario mains. People absolutely HATE losing to "low tier" characters. That's why I love maining them. Anyone can win with easy characters, it takes actual skill to consistently win with the supposed lower tier of the roster.
This mindset simply baffles me. If someone runs a marathon wearing a pair of dress shoes, does that make them better at running than someone wearing a pair of running shoes? Probably not, and if they do manage to place 1st in said marathon, it's probably because they were really good and experienced in the first place and the shoes hardly made any difference at all. In this game, your choice of a main isn't going to majorly affect your performance either way provided you take the time to learn how a character operates (movement, combos, MUs, etc.) simply because the game isn't a broken piece of garbage, which is why every character has professionals dedicated to them. Even in the most extreme of cases, it's the player that wins or loses, and not the character. Of course, there will always be competitive folks who only use the top tiers, but that's simply because they're competitive and play to win, and those people will inhabit every game with a competitive scene, especially fighters.
/rant

Last edited:

CaP_Omega

Smash Apprentice
This mindset simply baffles me. If someone runs a marathon wearing a pair of dress shoes, does that make them better at running than someone wearing a pair of running shoes? Probably not, and if they do manage to place 1st in said marathon, it's probably because they were really good and experienced in the first place and the shoes hardly made any difference at all. In this game, your choice of a main isn't going to majorly affect your performance either way provided you take the time to learn how a character operates (movement, combos, MUs, etc.) simply because the game isn't a broken piece of garbage, which is why every character has professionals dedicated to them. Even in the most extreme of cases, it's the player that wins or loses, and not the character. Of course, there will always be competitive folks who only use the top tiers, but that's simply because they're competitive and play to win, and those people will inhabit every game with a competitive scene, especially fighters.
/rant
The idea that a player who uses a low tier character is able to beat another who uses a high tier character does not mean that every character is equal. Several characters are much more mobile and agile than the rest of the cast, and that gives them more attack opportunities. The character with the most control advantages has the highest criteria of pressure.
. . .
That aside, after facing a Mac that rolled and D-Smashed exclusively, I can't stand anything about FG.

Last edited:

Capita

Smash Apprentice
NNID
n1ntendogamer
Something I find very aggravating is when people switch to my main after getting beaten, but more because it's Jigglypuff. Sure, it's a free win since they don't know what they're doing (I've won 95% or more of Jigglypuff dittos), but I sort of get the message of "Jigglypuff is easy, just spam forward air and neutral air and I'm just as good as you" when they pick Jigglypuff. Sure, I'll be one to admit that she is pretty easy to play as, at least in my opinion, but why even bother going for the ditto when you don't even know how to play the character?
I also sort of dislike it when people just give up after dying at a really low percent. I mean, a comeback is possible, right? It just becomes a waste of time. Better that just quitting and leaving me with a computer, so eh.
But seriously, why is rolling so damn safe in this game? It needs to be a million times more punishable. That's all.
Honestly, it isn't too bad, up until lag comes in. Ugh.

Shog

Smash Ace
When someone gets so mad they switch to Mac and they leave when they actually win.
I love doing that to Mac who taunt against my Charizard on For Glory if they win because the grab wiffed. Than I take this braindead character, spam his safe tilts until KO Punch and GG :006:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
/rant
I definitely agree with you here, don't get me wrong. I've always said (in several posts) that there are no bad characters in Smash 4, only bad players.

Facts are facts, though, there are easier characters to play as that have more kill options, easier kill options, better recoveries, quicker start-ups, less cool down between moves, etc. That's just how it is. I think of it as certain characters being an 'Easy Mode' option and others being 'Hard Mode'. Not necessarily because one character is better than the other, it's just they might have a simpler route to victory or they're easier to pick up and play than others. A Smash beginner can more easily pick up a character like Captain Falcon, for example, than Olimar. Of course, a high level Olimar player will always defeat a noob Falcon, Diddy, Shiek, Yoshi, etc. Skill will always trump tiers. But if you take skill out of the equation, the player using the character with more advantages will have, well..... an advantage over the player using the character with less and/or more difficult options.

There's a reason you see certain characters in higher levels of play and not others. I'm positive if ZeRo or any other ultra high level player wanted to main a supposed "low tier" character, they could quite possibly win a tourney. But it would be exponentially harder on them. Why work harder if you don't have to? If you could build an NBA team around any player, why would you take a 5 foot scrub that can't jump over a nickel instead of LeBron James?

Regarding your analogy of the runner, the guy running a marathon in dress shoes might be just as skilled as everyone else in the race, but he will have to work a lot harder than someone in running shoes. Imagine if he ran that same marathon in running shoes? Maybe he barely won in the dress shoes, I'm guessing he'd lap everyone if he were in a comfortable pair of shoes designed to make running easier.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The idea that a player who uses a low tier character is able to beat another who uses a high tier character does not mean that every character is equal. Several characters are much more mobile and agile than the rest of the cast, and that gives them more attack opportunities. The character with the most control advantages has the highest criteria of pressure.
Well, obviously, not every character is equal, the characters ARE different, after all except Dark Pit and Lucina heheheh. However, the tier gap is much, much less than it was in Melee or Brawl. It's no longer about "A tier or death" because a much larger portion of the cast are seen as competitively viable and seeing tournament representation. Heck, even Bowser Jr. has a few rising stars nowadays.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Honestly, it isn't too bad, up until lag comes in. Ugh.
Tell me about it. Lag favors noobs and spammers. If you even remotely try to play with skill, reads, timing, spacing, etc, you can forget about it with lag. And I'm not talking horrible lag, but even just the most minor lag (and spikes may be worse!). I had a match the other day where every time I had my opponent read perfectly for a kill opportunity, the game spiked and my inputs failed or I encountered the dreaded C-Stick jabs. Gotta love it!

Regarding the rolling, while it is worse in lag, it's always terrible when you've got a slower character. First I have to chase someone around and then, when I'm about to attack, roll, roll, roll, roll. Even when I read them perfectly, I often still whiff. Not fun at all.

PrincessDoorknobs

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silent.Rhy
I love doing that to Mac who taunt against my Charizard on For Glory if they win because the grab wiffed. Than I take this braindead character, spam his safe tilts until KO Punch and GG :006:
Mac is good char just easy to ****ing Gimp, the thing is what's hard is being patient with him. Most Mac players like putting pressure and pressure is a good thing but then you'll just start throwing out moves that make No sense and you'll get punished a lot. Especially if you put pressure all the damn time you'll get nervous when you start losing, and boom your done. :pow:

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
Oh my... this thread is still getting post? Well, guess I'll make a new post then!

Yesterday, I had to shut down my Wii U when I almost went to time out against a Link who did nothing but roll and down smash and throw projectiles exclusively. I was not even in the mood to play Smash after that, like, if you play like that with Link, just... just no.

Bellerophon

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistermaster420
In the past 2 days of playing FG, I have seen...
  • Zero Suit Spamus (not to be confused with Zero Suit Samus)
  • The same person running away when we each had one stock and I had a huge percent lead (He won in Sudden Death)
  • A Charzard and Pikachu in doubles doing nothing but Flare Blitz, Thunder, and their smash attacks
  • Typical FG Link
  • PEEKAAY FYRE
  • Captain Flowchart
  • Dash Attack Mac that used all of his taunts after i messed up my recovery (Next game, he Side-B'd off the stage and ragequitted after I used all of my taunts on him)
I really need to get out and play on Anther's Ladder more...

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I just fought a Rosalina who literally did nothing but launch the Luma and start spamming the jab. If i approached (I was Olimar so that was tough), they would dsmash, taunt, and start jabbing again. I got the first stock but then they started winning, which was awful... They SD'ed in the end and ofc I was horrible to them with my taunts. No regrets.

TroyD98

Smash Rookie
NNID
TroyD98
I hate laggy Links, and projectile Spamus. Also really good Little Macs irritate me. But most of the time For Glory mode is pretty fun, except for when you get cocky players.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I never wanted to say this, but Mario himself is getting annoying to me. I swear, every Mario that I find on FG has the same strategy, combos and stuff! And I have been finding, like, more Marios than any character. He is the only character I'm constantly finding.

Asi biton - BlueBli

Smash Rookie
gosh i hate it when peoples play samus and all they freaking do is back throw you from the stage, charge their thingy and then shoot it at you and then while you're coming back they charge another one ugh!

Top Bottom