• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
I do suppose it's my fault for getting salty after a 1-game, cheap match. For some reason, FG bothers me way more than it should. I should probably switch to Smash Ladder, since I want rules closer to a tournament, lol.
FG brings out my rage more in anything else in my life.

Even when I play my friend who I always lose to (who exclusively uses the most irritating characters- Samus, Sonic, and Lucario) it doesn't rustle me up. But pit me against some random online and I become a demon of fury.

Little Mac's jab. I know it doesn't do any more than anybody else's jab, but it's incredibly frustrating to be caught in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
There are a few things that irritate me to no end.

First off, the people who won't FIGHT in a FIGHTING GAME. I will SD out of boredom because of someone just doing throw after throw, or turtling, or just refusing to approach. Never in my 29 years of gaming have I ever seen a fighting game where people actually refuse to get on the ground and FIGHT. This is why when I come up against a Ganon main, I'll stay and play for 2 hours, because I'm not flying through the air like peter pan the entire match. We are in the middle punching each other in the mouth....LIKE A FIGHTING GAME.

Second is people who follow things like a recipe book. D-throw with Ness, forward air 3x. We get it. Villager, rocket and F-air spam. We GET IT. Jiggly F-air until % is enough for Rest, WE F*CKING GET IT. It's like watching a match in time travel where you can call the next moves coming out because people just do what's safe and spam it until death. Have some creativity and pride. It's like watching a broken record. Throw out some wild moves, change things up. Don't follow your mom's pancake recipe for the next 5 years.

Last, is people who play and never change their character. After 3 matches of fighting the SAME character, I just leave. It's boring. Again, variety is the spice of life. If you're going to play the same character doing the same move "recipes", then I'm leaving. It's boring and I want excitement and fun. Play with your bro on your own time if you want to "spar." It's like paying $30 for a concert ticket to watch a band "jam." If you want to practice, save that for your friends in the garage.
No offense, but you really belong in For Fun with this kind of mentality. Believe it or not, some people on For Glory actually want to win

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
I think the only thing that bothers me is people that leave after one match before I can switch to my main/A tier character. I always give people another chance if they made the mistake of picking say Mewtwo for the first match, but if I see Mewtwo on game 2 I instantly unplug my ethernet, not doing that again.

But if I go Zelda and lose to say a Little Mac I expect my opponent to give me the chance to switch to Sheik or ZSS, but sometimes you just have to let things go. Like you know you can win with your real character, just sometimes it sucks not being able to prove it to some random scrub, that's all~

srn347

Smash Apprentice
I always give people another chance if they made the mistake of picking say Mewtwo for the first match, but if I see Mewtwo on game 2 I instantly unplug my ethernet, not doing that again.
You consider it a mistake to main mewtwo?

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
I think they're sayin', they hate fighting For Glory Mewtwo's because 99% of them bite toes, badly. I can agree here. Every For Glory Mewtwo I face just does confusion as if it's the most safe thing in the game, and then toss out a bunch of Shadow Balls, and if you get close? Down smash / forward smash / up smash to the moon and back.

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
Personally, I believe that people are overvaluing Mewtwo and he is certainly not good enough to be mid tier, I'd put him around bottom 10 or so w/light+floaty+massive hurtbox making him easy to hit, easy to combo, and easy to kill. I think most people are blinded by the aura of hype surrounding him which may die off when he fails to produce any convincing tournament results.

I don't think any Mewtwo played by someone on the same level as me would be able to beat any of my A-tier mains or secondaries. I acknowledge I would obviously get bodied by a Mewtwo by someone much better like Tweek's, but I don't expect Tweek(or is it Tweak?)'s Mewtwo to beat anyone around his level. You can look up at Tweek vs Salem on CT's channel, Tweek brought out his Mewtwo for their 2nd set at a recent tourney and I instantly thought "auto-win for Salem" and predicted correctly.

But hey if you like Mewtwo, keep rocking him and show the world what he's got to prove me wrong~

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884
I just fought a guy in For Glory who literally did nothing but Roll with Mario and mash attacks.
i dont care bout win record on fg anymore i just kill myself against bad players until i find a good player. fg is not fun anymore. remember how it was hyped and we were happy bout a competitive mode. Well.... I guess not.... and also mewtwo is the new little mac. EVERYONE rolls to the back spamming shadow ball.

Smash Ace
I think they're sayin', they hate fighting For Glory Mewtwo's because 99% of them bite toes, badly. I can agree here. Every For Glory Mewtwo I face just does confusion as if it's the most safe thing in the game, and then toss out a bunch of Shadow Balls, and if you get close? Down smash / forward smash / up smash to the moon and back.
How do you know Mewtwos play like that? Maybe its cuz your one of them...

Smash Ace
Also, I hate when I play a troll character like Little Mac, a scrub beats me, then they say GetRekt, Mad?, or Noob. I quickly switch to my main,(Falcon/Diddy.) and then they quit. RAGEMODE

NintenX

Smash Rookie
Normal lag sucks, but input lag is the worst, ESPECIALLY when you're Ness and you try to use PK thunder.
I also hate it when people stand near the edge and just spam projectiles the whole match, and roll away when ever you get close to them (e.g. Samus, Link/Toon Link, or Duck Hunt).

Last edited:

Swagkage

Smash Rookie
NNID
DrDemon77
Lag.
Villager spammers.
Little Mac players period.

These three things are the banes of my existence.

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884
funny thing i was on fg and i was beating this falcons ass, he rage quits and becomes a cpu. lvl 1. this lvl 1 cpu got a knee, killed me, and then used show me your moves taunt....... :0 Cpus op lol

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
Lag. I play Team Battles so I do not have the option to SD out of the match and I either have to go through the slideshow of a match or get a penalty.

Seeing characters not used well. Especially :4charizard: flare blitz spam as I use Charaizard myself. I am happy when I got :4duckhunt: out to punish with Clay pigeons and stop the Charizard in its tracks and eat some additional damage as well. I do teams and I hate when teammates do not know how to deal with Flareblitz spam. I may pick Charizard next match to show how to play without flare blitz and many times I won't even use the move at only except if needed for recovery purposes.

There is also seeing :4duckhunt: not used well as well especially when they just use the can quickly as they send it out instead of strategically placing it and also spamming smashes rather than building up damage first. Also sometimes my teammates not moving out of the way when a can I sent when playing as :4duckhunt: is laying there about to explode but thankfully most know to shield when a can is coming their way.

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
Playing for two hours before I find someone that can beat me.

Don't know why I ever leave Anther's

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
It's sad that this mode makes me salty. And I tend to be very calm in person too.
as A Link/Spamus main, I don't camp and prefer to go aggressive spacing, but I really find it depressing that I lose to cheap tricks. And this is my only form of "competitive" mode since my ISP itself uses private IP addresses for its consumers, and I will change in sometime around November.

about 7 months of constant errors and fighting ridiculously annoying people.

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884
Playing for two hours before I find someone that can beat me.

Don't know why I ever leave Anther's
i agree idc bout fg record anymore. If im on it, i just kill myself until i find someone good. better said than done, due to everyone being bad.
anther's ladder is way more fun. although there is few bad players on the site. other than that, i agree that anthers ladder is the best place to find ppl and a great way to learn matchups.

Terry-Anny

Smash Rookie
I made a whole video about it, because I got so pissed off by people's mannerisms on FG.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Last, is people who play and never change their character. After 3 matches of fighting the SAME character, I just leave. It's boring. Again, variety is the spice of life. If you're going to play the same character doing the same move "recipes", then I'm leaving. It's boring and I want excitement and fun. Play with your bro on your own time if you want to "spar." It's like paying $30 for a concert ticket to watch a band "jam." If you want to practice, save that for your friends in the garage.
Why is it so bad for somebody to stick with one character and not switch? I will usually play Palutena and nobody else simply because I find her the most fun character in the game, and as a result, I can actually put up a legitimate challenge when using her simply because I know my character inside and out. In my opinion, it's more fun to face a player that only uses 1 character that they are actually good with than it is to face somebody who uses 20 characters that are all flowcharts.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Oh, I remembered something else. Players with bad sportsmanship. Like, those who ragequits when the game just began.
Back in the 1.0.3 days, I was more of a scrub, and did not know how to deal with spamming. I played against one of those Links who only knows how to press B and a few Smash Attacks. I did not know so well how to PowerShield, so I ate every attack and raged very much. Then, I selected Fox, a character who I don't play so much but can do well. I reflected 5 arrows (or more)!!! Grabbed him, was pummeling and... A communication error has ocurred. I was mad at how I loss to that braindead strategy at the first game, but I had the feeling that he was pretty salty at my Fox.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I hate how people don't taunt after KOing me. (Joke) but seriously, I hate :4falcon:players. All they do is run-jump-falcon kick-side b over and over again. That is just being OP and that shows that you don't know how to fight the real way and all you do is spam. Now no offense to people who DON'T do this, but it's ridiculous. one more thing. running back and forth the entire stage is not cool.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
but seriously, I hate :4falcon:players. All they do is run-jump-falcon kick-side b over and over again. That is just being OP and that shows that you don't know how to fight the real way and all you do is spam.
Uhh no offense dude, but spamming Falcon Kick and Raptor Boost is faaaaaar from OP.

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
How can someone not changing characters piss you off? If you don't want to play with them then leave. I'll pick whichever damn character I want, and use whichever damn moves I want, as many times as I want, in whichever order I want. If you get hit by it, and don't know how to respond, then you bet your butt I'm going to keep doing it over and over again beacause it's working and the point is to freakin' win

Learn to play. Stop whining. If someone pisses you off, play with someone else, or against the CPU.

I made a whole video about it, because I got so pissed off by people's mannerisms on FG.

holy crap that was great.

I completely lost it at the R&L tear graphic. I want that as a t-shirt!

Last edited by a moderator:

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884
i HATE when i tell the internet that i lose against noobs occasionally... Cause EVERYONES down my throat, trolling and hating Ur bad git good blah blah blah. i payed the price for doing that on youtube. :/ fg does not mean anything bout ur skill level only,its based on who has better connection as well.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Link Noobs. These scrubs aren't that hard to find in For Glory and they normally repeat the same tactics, F-Tilt, Dash Attack, and some forward and up smash attacks. Not only that they throw out arrows like no tomorrow and even keep using side special even AFTER the Boomerang is out.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Link Noobs. These scrubs aren't that hard to find in For Glory and they normally repeat the same tactics, F-Tilt, Dash Attack, and some forward and up smash attacks. Not only that they throw out arrows like no tomorrow and even keep using side special even AFTER the Boomerang is out.
Yet from what you say, 'dem scrubs think BOMBS don't exist. I mean, do they want a good spammer? They should play either Robin or Ness.

DanceLouisDance

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-9158-5550
I know this is for glory, but i just want to have fun! I just want to have epic freaking fights going all out like there's no tomorrow!!.
again i know its for glory but defensive play styles *the right way to play haha* really grind my gears in for glory. haha.
why dont they have a for fun 1v1! ):

Last edited:

CynicalController

Smash Cadet
NNID
acetrainergaming
3DS FC
2020-0091-9961
I wish I didn't see the same strategy used by a character everytime I see it. (Like Ness Fire to Back-Throw.) I also hate people that leave after winning ONCE.

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884
Now that mewtwos out. we have the new little mac. mewtwos on for glory roll to the back of the stage and spam shadow ball. with the odd dash attack. is there no GOOD mewtwos on for glory!? :/

kenfo93

Smash Rookie
NNID
kenfo93
3DS FC
1865-0016-3131
Lag spikes ( On the 3ds). I have only played this version of the game so I don't know how bad it is in the WIIU, but on the 3ds....it's a HUGE problem. I have damn good internet too.

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
How about when you own some guy's (or gal's) stock and they stop playing

They just allow you to hit them but at the same time they still try to recover

Either give up and SD or keep fighting

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
How about when you own some guy's (or gal's) stock and they stop playing

They just allow you to hit them but at the same time they still try to recover

Either give up and SD or keep fighting
Probably because they saw this video and assumed that it actually works.

Mjolnir/Hunter101

Smash Cadet
NNID
ryfennn
have recently discovered another bother.
ill have a few nights in a row where i encounter pretty good players that are on my level, being a pretty good player myself. not professional, but i can at least take one stock at times against someone marginally better.
then suddenly i'll have a night where people who seem godlike keep being matched up with me, and some will of course use one my earlier pet peeves, taunting exessively whenever they KO me. this usually ends with me on a dismal 10 or 16 losing streak, and needless to say it makes me feel like a awful player.
(very likely not true, i'm likely pretty good. i try to mix offensive and defensive, and do my best to use edgegaurds and aerials. usually i do pretty good at it. but op people can make u feel that way.)

Last edited:

zeldo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3797-8802-7393
When I play a bowser junior and they spam side b :glare:

Last edited:

Derpiology

Smash Cadet
NNID
Derpiology
3DS FC
4742-6421-0146
I have two things that piss me off in For Glory:

1. Taunting after taking the first stock. To me, this wouldn't be much of a problem if you could verbally communicate with other smashers. With communication, we could know whether or not a taunting competitor is taunting to joke around and have fun, or be a completely arrogant imbecile. So because we don't have the luxury of efficient communication, I can't detect whether or not the person taunting is just being funny or is rubbing his/her success in your face. Not only that, but it just isn't smart. There's some people who play better when angry, so you can end up screwing yourself. Or, your taunt could last to long, and the person who was KO'd could punish you with a combo or a heavy hit if the person is fast enough. I personally think taunting was made for when you're playing with friends and want to be funny. My suggested alternatives to prancing around like an idiot is crouching/jumping in an erratic fashion (kinda rude, but not as blatant), dodging and pivoting, or charging up moves for the next stock (smartest alternative). After the second stock, go crazy. I don't care. You won.

2. Not punishing missed rests correctly. As a Jiggs main, I've done my fair share of rests. Due to me being somewhat inept at sm4sh, and just plain horrible decision making, I miss rests a lot. What I've noticed over the past month is that BARELY ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO PUNISH A REST AND IT'S GETTING ANNOYING. When I miss a rest, people either wake me up with a measly jab (which is very unsportsmanlike), a weak tilt, or trying to combo me off the stage. That's not how you should do it. I don't see why no one would take the obvious advantage of rubbing my miss in my face by unleashing a fully charged smash or a turnaround Falcon/Warlock Punch. It's just completely disrespectful for someone to punish with a jab or tilt because it shows that you don't take your competitor as serious competition and want to KO them "correctly". It's also not smart because it gives the competitor a second wind at winning the stock/match and, as I addressed earlier, can screw you by making the competitor angry and cause them to play better. Combo punishes are just dumb because Jigglypuff can easily maneuver out of a combo, and usually the people playing the game aren't adept enough to do the combo effectively. F-smashing or Falcon/Warlock punching is a much better choice because it racks up damage, which on a Jigglypuff, is very valuable due to her being the lightest character and the easiest to KO (of course meaning that a charged smash could potentially KO at low percentages). I just hate when people don't make the obviously better choices. Punish me dammit.

Tl;dr If you taunt after taking the first stock, or try to style punish a missed rest in For Glory mode, you are a complete and utter Neanderthal.

Puchero

Smash Rookie
When I'm using a character that I'm not familiar with and I lose and they leave before giving me the chance of using my main. Specially if they taunt.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
When people SOMEHOW get consistence perfect shields.......seriously like come on its rediculous I do so well and my hits are perfect, but they always get perfected shielded and I punish.
It's issued how someone does that so consistently especially with moves like Peachs stitch face or(even more insulting) mr Saturn.
Or Zeldas Lightning kicks, or Kirbys hammer.
I swear it's unbelievable -_-

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
When people SOMEHOW get consistence perfect shields.......seriously like come on its rediculous I do so well and my hits are perfect, but they always get perfected shielded and I punish.
It's issued how someone does that so consistently especially with moves like Peachs stitch face or(even more insulting) mr Saturn.
Or Zeldas Lightning kicks, or Kirbys hammer.
I swear it's unbelievable -_-
As a Megaman player, I can relate. It sometimes gets annoying when players perfect shield my Metal Blades. Shielding is a bit too good in Smash 4. I just need to be a bit less predictable.

Top Bottom