• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Legos

Smash Rookie
Sonic players that repeatedly spam side/down -b and get a free 20%+ in damage because of it. This is why i think battlefield should have been the model for the omega stages and not final destination.

exhaustedGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
exhaustedGam3r
So I was planning on making an account sooner or later but certain replies on this thread have completely pushed me to make one now.

The thing that irritates me on FG would have to be lag and when someone is using a strategy that I just can't get past and it's all my fault. I get so salty with myself that I could purge crawfish.

I also want to address anyone who may complain about me constantly switching characters during matches. I like playing other characters, I like variety and have a lot of fun using these other characters. It is not my fault that you lose to any character that I decide to play. Perhaps you should hop on to Training and practice up your combos and strategies before playing online again.

That is all. I am FAR from very good at this game. But I refuse to think it's fair that I "lose your respect" because you can't beat me.

Alias

Smash Apprentice
um strange layouts
and for palutena's temple it has obstacles
although I don't get why not battlefield and kongo jungle :confused:
For Glory is supposed to simulate the effect of a boxing ring or octagon (no distractions, just you and your opponent much like most fighting games do), so Hyrule and Palutena's Temple get cut because they don't fit that design due to size and what Ultresmasher5 mentioned.
For Glory stages are all omega

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
For Glory stages are all omega
Exactly. Look at the omega stage's design and layout, and it has that sterile fighting environment feel to it you'll find in professional rings/octagons or what you'll see in other fighting games.

Personally, I'd have liked if For Glory had an Alpha version of the stages that were all Battlefield layout to mix in with the Omega versions. It would be a good play on words and help appease both fighting game design fundamentals (ones for the tranditional fighting game feel, and one more suited for smash)

Alias

Smash Apprentice
Exactly. Look at the omega stage's design and layout, and it has that sterile fighting environment feel to it you'll find in professional rings/octagons or what you'll see in other fighting games.

Personally, I'd have liked if For Glory had an Alpha version of the stages that were all Battlefield layout to mix in with the Omega versions. It would be a good play on words and help appease both fighting game design fundamentals (ones for the tranditional fighting game feel, and one more suited for smash)
how is Palutena's Temele Omega significantly different from other omega stages?
it looks like a ring, but the stage is still 2D. the background design is no reason to ban it from For Glory.

alpha stages would have been glorious

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
how is Palutena's Temele Omega significantly different from other omega stages?
it looks like a ring, but the stage is still 2D. the background design is no reason to ban it from For Glory.

alpha stages would have been glorious
The original post gave me the impression it was against Hyrule Temple and Palutena's Temple as expulsions from FG and not their Omega variants. My mistake on that, though I thought I've played on Palutena's Temple Omega in a FG match before. Not sure about Hyrule Temple though.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
When people who DON'T main Diddy, lose a lot to me then switch to Diddy, its like they think it'll improve their chances.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
When people leave after winning one match because they're afraid of losing. For Glory in a nutshell. They must be really salty, I can see them claiming that one match out of the few, or ten, means they're better, and they leave so they won't lose any more.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
When people leave after winning one match because they're afraid of losing. For Glory in a nutshell. They must be really salty, I can see them claiming that one match out of the few, or ten, means they're better, and they leave so they won't lose any more.
Yeah this annoys me too, I really like when someone stays and I find they are equal in skill with me.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Yeah this annoys me too, I really like when someone stays and I find they are equal in skill with me.
Yeah, it IS annoying when you think about what THEY think about you, and for reasons I won't mention, I now hold no sympathy for For Glory players anymore, I'll taunt and trash talk as I please from now on.

It's no joke when I say EVERYONE in For Glory does this. Perhaps it's become a trend.

Last edited:

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
Can't speak for everyone, but whenever I stay for a second match after winning, 90% of the time I wish I didn't. My opponents seem to love switching to Sonic/Link/Diddy and turning on 5 microwaves so I can barely do anything, then proceed to taunt me 3 times and insult me.

Lord Xanthan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Master_Xanthan
Lag grinds my gears. But what really grinds my gears is sometimes when I'm playing against someone and I'm losing. Then, when I finally start coming back during that same match, it starts to lag. Or the opposite, when I'm doing really well during the match, then it starts lagging near and end and I almost lose because of it.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Lag grinds my gears. But what really grinds my gears is sometimes when I'm playing against someone and I'm losing. Then, when I finally start coming back during that same match, it starts to lag. Or the opposite, when I'm doing really well during the match, then it starts lagging near and end and I almost lose because of it.
I never found lag an issue- I mean it'd be there, but it never bothered me or made me think I might be losing because of it. Then I played some non-laggy matches and yeah....lag is a severe problem. When you press a button and it takes a full 2 seconds to respond...ugh.

Also, Dark Pit spamming electroshock really grinds my gears. The end lag isn't enough for it to be really punishable (when I'm Kirby); by the time I get there he's already doing it again...

Snakeob

Smash Rookie
NNID
Snakeob
Any kind of bad manners after a win or loss. Wasting 25 seconds to type a new tag telling me you think it was cheap or i'm bad. Overly obnoxious taunting then leaving after one game without a run back? Whatever happened to the unspoken rule of best of 3.

waluigithewalrus

Smash Cadet
What really grinds my gears is when someone comes out as Samus and just sits on the edge constantly charging their cannon. As if I'm just going to run into them. Then, anytime I try to do anything, they just roll to the other edge and fire the shot, which I just block with a shield.

Last time I faced one, I just had to off myself after about 2 minutes of it cause I couldn't take it. Other guy then had the gall to teabag the floor as if he did something special.

El_Mariachi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Marvinho
People who projectile/counter spam and people who roll spam. Getting taunted after an SD annoys me a lot. People choosing my main and the same color as me after I beat them. Like what am I gonna get confused or something?

ggamer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
ggamer77
1. Spammers of projectiles.
2. Spammers of smash attacks.
3. Players who win after the first match and leave.

AstroZach

Smash Rookie
I don't really have a problem with projectile spamming if they're trying to bait you into their trap, but if they're doing nothing, but projectiles then that's a problem. What grinds my gears are people who choose Kirby just to suck you and then jumps off the edge just to try and get a cheap kill off of you. And I've been in matches where there's 3 people just using that stupid trick and working together as if it was a 3 vs 1 team match. These people really have no skill and are doing this purely out of cheap kills.
inb4chudat

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
I beat you 3 times in a row I switch to another character to give you a chance you win once and leave.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Spamming rolls to stall. I fought a Wario who ONLY rolled, and if he got to an edge and I 'trapped' him he would double jump and ride his bike to the other edge, spam rolls again, etc etc. Even when he got the fart he wouldn't use it on me, he never attacked me at all. I managed to get some pivot grabs, wrack up some damage, and eventually beat him before the timer ran out but jesus **** it was ****ing annoying.

Classic Diddy hooha is also annoying but I never see it tbh.

Sonics who just side b to uair are retardedly annoying :/

Mario/Luigi/Wario are three characters that I just absolutely hate going against and I have no idea why. They're just so annoying.

Other than that everything is fine lol.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
So uh...new one.

Playing against a Little Mac. He just backrolls away from me and occasionally looks for dash attacks and smashes. I whittle him down with slow, defensive gunmen and grabs when I catch his roll. Only stock he gets off me is because I SD'ed

Hits me with the "rolling eyes" face tag, then Grabber..., then another tag stating "L2P".

I learned some things today. Apparently grabs are not allowed. Winning really hard means that I need to learn to play. And that he had all these tags ready to go. He must get annoyed at people that grab a lot.

I've been called a spammer. I've been told I suck. But I've never been called out for grabbing. I...I don't even know.

The Groose

Smash Rookie
Nothing grinds The Groose's gears more than Little Mac's who spam dash attacks and counter.

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it IS annoying when you think about what THEY think about you, and for reasons I won't mention, I now hold no sympathy for For Glory players anymore, I'll taunt and trash talk as I please from now on.

It's no joke when I say EVERYONE in For Glory does this. Perhaps it's become a trend.
I have two accounts, one where I leave if I win the first match without too much of a problem to find a better opponent, and one where I just fight until I have to go or the opponent leaves (just to test a proof of concept to a friend). The one where I leave after an easy first win has a much lower W/L ratio than the one that sticks it out, by about a 20-25% difference (93% vs 68-73%)

While it is selfish, I like to fight players who are obviously better than me. Meaning if I win a match and it didn't feel to hard, I usually leave until I find a player who completely bodies me and work with that player until they get bored of me. They get a boost in W/L ratio, I get a chance to try to learn something. I still to this day keep those two behaviors separated pending on which account I'm using just to show people the arbitrariness of W/L ratios in For Glory.

Now in regards to this thread the only things that bother me is lag, as I find that it makes power shielding and pivots a lot harder to execute, or at least I find them more difficult to do online. While rare slideshow matches are not good for my health either.

Uffe

Smash Hero
People who taunt when they kill you. People who taunt when you SD, as if they were the one who killed you. When they lag so hard and you lose, but you know they're not as good as they think they are. People who leave after one match even though it was a close game. I mean, really, are you not that confident in yourself? Or when they switch from their main to someone else. Again, are you not that confident in your ability to defeat me? That's what drives me. If I know it's a close match and I feel like I was struggling, I still manage to pull through. I don't like people who purposely time out a match when you're the one winning. Sudden Death doesn't mean you're a better player, it means that you're a coward.

Khanjali

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4441-8711-2170
Two things mainly:
1) People who taunt after taking my first stock and aren't winning. As soon as they do this, I proceed to taunt after every kill for as long as we fight against one another.

2) All the Captain Falcons, Marios, and Luigis who do the same exact thing every single match without variation. I mean, come on, shake it up every once in a while.

Rose alumna

Smash Journeyman
Well for me its when they keep rolling around. For no reason at all when they approach they roll,get behind you and attack with a roll ect. any one else know my pain and good morning

Wrexsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wrexsoul
The only thing that bothers me is when people taunt as I SD (mainly due to lag). I tend to see taunts as either communication or something you do after doing a really sweet/skilful kill, so somebody doing it as I do a lag SD is totally provoking.

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
Anytime there is lag, I usually have trouble, especially since both of my mains, Ness and Falcon usually require good timing and precision on their moves like Ness's recovery or Falcon's knee.

Also Sonic, it's always side-b onto an aerial. It gets annoying and repetitive real fast.

And roll spammers. It's just so boring that 7/10 fights will be against people who forgot what their legs on their character do.

Last edited:

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
Anytime there is lag, I usually have trouble, especially since both of my mains, Ness and Falcon usually require good timing and precision on their moves like Ness's recovery or Falcon's knee.

Also Sonic, it's always side-b onto an aerial. It gets annoying and repetitive real fast.

And roll spammers. It's just so boring that 7/10 fights will be against people who forgot what their legs on their character do.

real fast

Top Bottom