• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Or having the match freeze for 6 seconds, then somehow everything you inputed registers all at once.
I had this happen in a match with a friend, actually. The match froze, then when it got back, suddenly Mario rolled towards the edge and shorthopped offstage while using Fair.
I legit had a rage fit.
Yeah, the absolute worst thing about lag spikes is how god damn inconsistent they are when it comes to input registration. Some inputs just get swallowed up by the lag, yet others make it through for some reason??

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Yeah, the absolute worst thing about lag spikes is how god damn inconsistent they are when it comes to input registration. Some inputs just get swallowed up by the lag, yet others make it through for some reason??
I love when I input a roll,
then the match freezes the frame I input it,
then I input it again while the match is frozen,
then when the game regains conscience it registers both rolls and puts me in a really bad position and makes the other player think I'm spamming rolls.
Wonderful.

Apparently those inputs make it through, but if your opponent is at 130% and you see the window to Up Smash them for the kill, if you input it then the match freezes, I assure you, when it comes back, it's just gonna magically pretend you never did anything.

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
Just found a new hatred. People who spam rolls, none stop, rolling. Rolling to transport themselves. They literally NEVER walk / run, they will just roll from 1 side to the other, especially on characters with quick rolls like Sheik or Link, it's a pain.

Also, I give everyone I fight a best of 3, I never leave on the first game UNLESS it's required due to lag and such.
I do that as well, best of three. This way I get another chance if I SD, or to evaluate if the opposing player is actually more skilled than I am.

I was just playing on FG 1v1 and I ran into a pretty decent player. I was losing the majority of matches but I kept rematching him to learn his habits and I usually managed to take a single stock per match. Yet after awhile I think he got bored. He changed his name tag and started insulting me then left. There's nothing that annoys me more than arrogant players. Yea I'm not the best but I take those losses to improve trash talk is pretty demoralizing. But I'm not a competitive player so I just gotta get over it.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Yea I'm not the best but I take those losses to improve trash talk is pretty demoralizing. But I'm not a competitive player so I just gotta get over it.
I dunno, I think even if you're competitive you just have to get over all the dumb trash talk, too... It's not like they get consistent praise either, I just kinda wanna point that out. I definitely get what you mean though, I'll stick around a player I lose to just to get some experience, so it gets really irritating if they start acting like a jerk or - even worse - sandbagging, effectively wasting my time.

[Edit]: You know what, I'm gonna add people who feel the need to change characters based on who play on this list.

For the millionth time, I don't want to do Doc Vs. Mario, or Roy Koopa Vs. FE Roy, or Fox Vs. Falco, or-... Well, you get the idea. It's so ridiculous, you're actually proving nothing by forcing these MUs, so I seriously don't understand it.

Maybe you play one of those characters and you think it's funny? Maybe, I dunno, but it gets really on my nerves having to put up with these same MUs over and over just because "It's funny." or even worse, when people don't understand that certain characters have differences (Most notably in cases like Pit/Dark Pit, Marth/Lucina, etc. Worse when people think Fox and Falco are still the same. *eyeroll*).

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
People trying to use a "combo" on you while you're using a character that can easily break it. I can't count how many times a FG Mario has tried to D-throw to up tilt me, only to eat a Dolphin Slash while I'm playing as Marth.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
People trying to use a "combo" on you while you're using a character that can easily break it. I can't count how many times a FG Mario has tried to D-throw to up tilt me, only to eat a Dolphin Slash while I'm playing as Marth.
I don't mind this kinda thing the first few times, mistakes and lack of MU knowledge happens, but when people don't learn at all, it does get really irritating. What, do they think you're just gonna not tech out of it all of a sudden?.. It genuinely feels insulting to both player skill and intelligence.

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
Another thing that upsets me is when I play one of my mains Duck Hunt and use him how he is actually meant to be used, limiting the options of the player or racking up damage(grabbing and throwing them into the can and other combos with his special moves).

Then the next match though, the person thinks I was spamming, so they play as Link or Villager spamming projectiles at me as if that's what I was doing. I usually win when they do this though, but its so boring and annoying.

Last edited:

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
A duck hunt main?
I-I don't know what to say.
You're the only person I know that mains duck hunt.
Anyways, something I always hate is when I fight someone and beat them with Samus (Usually in 1v1 or Teams) and next match hey choose Samus and go all spam-happy on me.

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
A duck hunt main?
I-I don't know what to say.
You're the only person I know that mains duck hunt.
Anyways, something I always hate is when I fight someone and beat them with Samus (Usually in 1v1 or Teams) and next match hey choose Samus and go all spam-happy on me.
Sucks, I think Duck Hunt has hidden potential like how I always thought of piakchu. So far I think have a playstyle like how I do for Bowser that no one has done before yet.

Yea, exactly what I mean. Spamming in 2v2 FG is kinda annoying too.

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post

Wow, you really like living up to your username here, don't you?​

So you really expect Smash to be played that way? To utterly humiliate your opponent by any means necessary, and act as arrogant as humanely possible all because you won a game with a complete stranger that has no impact on your life whatsoever?
Why you get offended by a stranger? If some one else is winning, I let him celebrate that in any form or way. No problem. You probably get all mad or something and leave immediately if some one uses their taunt or ducks 2 times. Oh boohoo. So mean!

But yeah, dominance is a great thing in life in all kinds of aspects. These days, I switch to Wario who has unlimited taunts on his bike, which means you need to use them all. THat's how you play the character. And you finish with the big fart.

So tell me, do you have this attitude in a public setting where others are right next to you and you aren't hidden behind a screen?
well;, if you read my other post before, you knew that was what it was all about in the arcades. Not playing like a little girl. Man up my friend. You don't deserve bragging rights, you earn them.

Also, you should really quit comparing Smash to other fighting games. Seriously.

Smash isn't like other fighting games and the quicker you realize that the better.
It is, that's why they play it at Evo. Do I have to explain everything these days?

"Good Game" merely just shows Good Sportsmanship whether you won or lost. Shaking hands with others and complimenting their skill, whether or not you thought they were good is just Good Sportsmanship.
Fake people love fake compliments This is the problem with kids these days. You get humiliated, but can't handle the truth. Still begging for fake compliments.

But you will learn pretty soon that the world doesn't work that way. Nobody will give you fake compliments if you suck at work, they will fire your ass and stop giving you money. Now if you get good, you're getting more money and you're the one who decides that the other sucks. That's how life works. It's all about position.

Last edited:

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
When you play FG Smash with 3 people and 2 them of are are teaming up. Then they don't even try attacking each other, taunts together and they only hit each other and then the other player SDs to get points to secure a win.
The player that didn't team up left after some matches. I played against those 2 that were teaming up for 2 matches. I got called names by both of them and afterwards they both left after the 2nd match.
I have experienced that 2 times. This just happened recently

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Why you get offended by a stranger? If some one else is winning, I let him celebrate that in any form or way. No problem. You probably get all mad or something and leave immediately if some one uses their taunt or ducks 2 times. Oh boohoo. So mean!

But yeah, dominance is a great thing in life in all kinds of aspects. These days, I switch to Wario who has unlimited taunts on his bike, which means you need to use them all. THat's how you play the character. And you finish with the big fart.
There's a difference between celebrating and just being a flat out douche to someone.

You're right, there's really no stopping someone from taunting (especially if they're Wario). No matter what views you may have on taunting and its uses there's ultimately no stopping it from happening; however there are people who are still going to get upset by them.

Why would you choose to use Wario, taunt on a constant basis, and expect the other side not to take offense to it, anyways? It's okay if you taunt, especially after an amazing KO but there is such a thing as going overboard with it. I don't see any other point to taunting on a constant basis in a single match other than to disrespect your opponent. Even moreso, why would you chose to do that and suddenly leave after the first and only match, and expect someone not to get upset by it? That's just douchebaggery in my opinion.

So you proved you can taunt and win once. Why would you think you can gloat after that? Chances are that person may not of been using their mains. You may never know. And again, I can't stress this enough, there are young players who hop online sometimes. You never know what age your opponent is. So, say, you did that to someone whose only eight and obviously didn't know how to play...

Why would you really want bragging rights and chose to gloat like that? You beat an eight year old. Good for you, buddy.
well;, if you read my other post before, you knew that was what it was all about in the arcades. Not playing like a little girl. Man up my friend. You don't deserve bragging rights, you earn them.
So it was totally acceptable to call someone complete trash cause they lost to you at an arcade game? It was acceptable to humiliate them in public, and possibly in front of a crowd all because you probably wasted more quarters than them on some silly arcade game?

Boy, I'd really love to see someone do that at a Smash Tournament and see how quickly they get kicked out.
It is, that's why they play it at Evo. Do I have to explain everything these days?
Yes, I suppose you do. Please explain for me.
Fake people love fake compliments This is the problem with kids these days. You get humiliated, but can't handle the truth. Still begging for fake compliments.

But you will learn pretty soon that the world doesn't work that way. Nobody will give you fake compliments if you suck at work, they will fire your *** and stop giving you money. Now if you get good, you're getting more money and you're the one who decides that the other sucks. That's how life works. It's all about position.
It has nothing to do with being fake, but rather being supportive.

You don't just go up to someone and tell them how terrible they are at a game just because you know you're better than them.

You don't rub their face in the dirt and laugh at their efforts. You're forgetting that each and every one of us most likely "Sucked" at Smash at one point. We all start somewhere. We all learn, gain experience, and slowly learn the skills necessary to play the game.

You don't want to put someone down who is still learning at the game. You support them, give them tips, and remind them that they will get better. This can be said for any type of activity. I know I was absolute **** with drawing, but I got better as I worked on it. I got support from others even though they probably thought my art was absolute garbage. Looking back at my previous art I even know how much it sucked. Point is, I improved and got better, and probably would of quit if everyone just told me I flat out sucked. Seriously.

Everyone is susceptible to doubts about how they play, and if they should even keep playing.

The last thing they need is someone making them feel like they are garbage at the game. That isn't what Smash Bros, nor its community is about to begin with. We should support each other and respect our fellow Smash Bros, whether you're competitive or causal.

Last edited:

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice

But you will learn pretty soon that the world doesn't work that way. Nobody will give you fake compliments if you suck at work, they will fire your *** and stop giving you money. Now if you get good, you're getting more money and you're the one who decides that the other sucks. That's how life works. It's all about position.
So..So...much..much wrong...

"Why you get offended by a stranger? If some one else is winning, I let him celebrate that in any form or way. No problem. You probably get all mad or something and leave immediately if some one uses their taunt or ducks 2 times. Oh boohoo. So mean!"

He wasn't offended, he was putting his personal input on your disgusting negative perspective on life. Just like how you were putting your input in this topic. Duh. I didn't see any personal insults in that post he made.

"But yeah, dominance is a great thing in life in all kinds of aspects. These days, I switch to Wario who has unlimited taunts on his bike, which means you need to use them all. THat's how you play the character. And you finish with the big fart."

There are far greater things in life besides dominance. Like befriending people you play with after a good match, having a loved one, going out with friends or family, playing a sport, etc.
But you probably only find dominance a great value in life because of your personality.

"It is, that's why they play it at Evo. Do I have to explain everything these days?"

Just because it's in Evo, doesn't mean it's like another generic fighting game.
Do I have to explain how Smash even makes it to Evo these days?

But you will learn pretty soon that the world doesn't work that way. Nobody will give you fake compliments if you suck at work, they will fire your *** and stop giving you money. Now if you get good, you're getting more money and you're the one who decides that the other sucks. That's how life works. It's all about position."

Why are you comparing work to video games?
Why are you comparing work to sportsmanship?
Why is there something wrong with giving a compliment if she or he did poorly or just lost in a close match?

I'm starting to get a vibe off of you actually being a troll.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Look, just ignore this PlayerHater character whoever they are because the kid's obviously not got a single clue what they're on about and is likely just baiting angry replies at this point - report them and move on.

You only need to take a look at a few tournament videos where people get salty and have everyone in the nearby vicinity call them out for not doing something polite (or alternatively for doing something grimy as heck), to disprove any garbage this complete fool spurts into this thread. -effectively derailing it, may I add (So again, just ignore their crap.).

Look, I'm not gonna pretend I'm a patron saint of Smash manners, but this random person treating the 'bad manners' way of winning as a holy goddamned scripture is not only actually commonplace amongst generic toxic newbies that roll on through the Smash community and out the other end without a single care (so their opinion wouldn't matter that much anyway), but it's also complete garbage, and we still try to logically argue with this mindset like it matters - we all know that it's garbage at this point too so the only real way to beat it is to just accept that there are toxic garbage people in the community and don't give it the attention it doesn't deserve.

It's fine to want to be a bit of a BMing ass sometimes, I'm not gonna pretend nailing unnecessary **** in a video game isn't fun, but people like this who are blatantly doing it not for their own sense of fun, but are doing it to spite others obviously don't get the point of why "BMing" (which in and of itself is admittedly a bit of a misnomer) is fun in the first place - they're taking the name literally and not understanding a single point as to why it's a thing in the first place.

--and in order to relate it to this thread, because it kinda does: Boy, doesn't this make me sound like I'm talking about most FG players in a nutshell?

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Decided to dab into the wonderful world of FG and immediately the first game I get is a kid flashing things like "usukballs" and "get good". He picks Ness and spams up b and side b. Taunts every few seconds and all and all such immature behavior.

Did the kid get dumped by his girlfriend and wanted to take it out on whatever sap that he runs into?

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Boy am I salty right now. Shouldn't have gone onto For Glory. I played the bloody 'free-for-all' because I felt like mucking about as DK, and I join this one lobby. Literally, a corn player that used Counter pretty much every chance they got, and some other guy who camped and just took whatever opportunity he could to get a kill after the other people got thrown out of the moshpit.

And what made me salty is I could have killed him. Several times! If I wasn't interrupted by tweedlecorn and tweedledum who kept trying to hit him MORE. This just led to him living more and destroying the other two and racking up his score. He had to have won 8 matches in a row. What's even more hilarious is they didn't think "Hey! That guy's beating us real bad! Let's focus more on him!" They instead just kept beating up on me ;~; The combination of my greatest hatreds for Smash.

A) Characters that do fantastic by doing one thing
B) Stupid people.

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
Decided to dab into the wonderful world of FG and immediately the first game I get is a kid flashing things like "usukballs" and "get good". He picks Ness and spams up b and side b. Taunts every few seconds and all and all such immature behavior.

Did the kid get dumped by his girlfriend and wanted to take it out on whatever sap that he runs into?
As a Ness main myself. This is not "ok"

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Wait, this PlayerHater dude is still at it? Really?
He must've been to some screwed up arcades if that is how it was like for him. Maybe my idea of arcades is kinda skewed up considering I'd always play arcade games alone on my Sega Saturn, or on an arcade alone or with friends I know.
And what the hell does this thread have against giving me notifications?

Anyway: Of course players who misuse your favourite characters are always painful to watch, but whenever I watch someone on FG play Lucina... I seriously take it as a personal offence.
The feeling is kind of hard to describe... how many of you have a waifu and actually like her? The feeling I get whenever I watch somebody play Lucina on For Glory is the same kind of feeling you get after you read a really nasty doujin of your waifu and you don't like it. It's the same feeling of dread and confusion.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Seeing this thread after quite some time, I'm glad I dropped FG completely. I've tried to play some matches (so I could get familiar with Corrin and Bayo) yesterday and it didn't feel natural after playing so many matches with friends and via Anther's.
Seriously. It may sound like some kind of marketing, but if your internet connection is good enough and you have lots of free time to play, try Anther's or playing with the people from SWF itself. IMO it's far more fun and rewarding (in terms of skill). Smash is fun, but it does get gear grinding as we don't have a 100% good time on FG. But I will miss it :)
Edit: PlayerHater actually has the same avatar I've used to. lol

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Seeing this thread after quite some time, I'm glad I dropped FG completely. I've tried to play some matches (so I could get familiar with Corrin and Bayo) yesterday and it didn't feel natural after playing so many matches with friends and via Anther's.
Seriously. It may sound like some kind of marketing, but if your internet connection is good enough and you have lots of free time to play, try Anther's or playing with the people from SWF itself. IMO it's far more fun and rewarding (in terms of skill). Smash is fun, but it does get gear grinding as we don't have a 100% good time on FG. But I will miss it :)
Anther's Ladder is ridiculously better under any circumstance, fellow compatriot, even if your connectionis bad. Atleast you're playing against people who actually know what they're doing!

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
The good thing about maining a character considered a spammer is that people will immediately think you're gonna spam if you do the right actions. You can roll until they grab you, and then go all out on them while they still have the "He's spamming" mentality.
:samus::samus::samus::samus::samus:

Last edited:

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Anther's Ladder is ridiculously better under any circumstance, fellow compatriot, even if your connectionis bad. Atleast you're playing against people who actually know what they're doing!
Not to mention you can have an honest to god conversation with each other.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Not to mention you can have an honest to god conversation with each other.
I mean it's not like you're free from salty players, like this guy who said I was spamming Mario's Fireball just because I wouldn't let him recover using Ike's Side B, but atleast you can have an actual conversation!
And most players are nice, anyway.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Glad to see that FG is still full of people who are betting their lives in this mode.

And full of Corrin too. I wonder where the Bayonettas are.

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
**** this bs. I'm in For glory Hell! Not gonna bother calling Nintendo as they will give the same bs response that they given to anyone else with this problem.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
And full of Corrin too. I wonder where the Bayonettas are.
I've been using Bayonetta a lot since she came out cause I really wanna learn her...

I agree, it seems like there's been more Corrins around than Bayonettas despite the fact a lot of people complained about his inclusion. Worst of all, I feel like Corrin is becoming Captain Falcon 2.0. Just about every Corrin I've faced on For Glory feels the need to be incredibly cocky and Taunt just about any chance they get (usually the "Let's do this!" Taunt too). I now dread Corrins I face.

Then again, it could be because I'm using Bayonetta maybe? I know I'm not exactly great with her yet, but that's what practice is all about right? It could also be people hating Bayonettas in For Glory as well, but it's still mainly Corrins I've been seeing taunting constantly.

Either way Corrin is starting to grind my gears a bit, yet surprisingly I really enjoy fighting other Bayonettas.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Funny, I've been finding myself running into plenty of Bayonetta players and barely any Corrin players. Even the Bayonetta players I fight stick with her for all the matches that we wind up playing and don't bother switching to Corrin. I kind of figured that the hive mind of salt surrounding Corrin on the internet proved to be true after all but maybe not.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
I just don't like rude people. Just tonight, I fought a Yoshi using Bayonetta. Now, Bayonetta is of course a brand new character and like many people, I'm still learning her and trying to figure out what she can do. And while I lost, I didn't get destroyed or anything. I took a stock and got Yoshi to about 80% or 90% before he ended me. But after the match, this player used the name tags to say stuff like "usuckass" and "getgud" and "lilbitch" and "reported". I just left after that, I'm not dealing with that crap.

I also hate it when people who're beating you suddenly switch to the character you've been using. Like to make a statement "Haha! You're so bad, I could beat you with your own character!"

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
At first I was pretty positive about Bayo, seeing a decent amount of people who knew what they were doing with her. Was glad it wasn't a Cloud situation all over again.
And now I'm seeing nothing but Bayos who spam Side B and Down B along with nothing but that one BnB and "edgeguarding" with down smash constantly. It's exactly like Cloud all over again.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, seeing people doing bad thing with new characters is to be expected. And while I'm glad that I've met several good Corrins, the amount of bad ones also make me cringe.

Same goes for Bayonetta, the few I met spammed Down B.

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
You don't want to put someone down who is still learning at the game. You support them, give them tips, and remind them that they will get better. This can be said for any type of activity. I know I was absolute **** with drawing, but I got better as I worked on it. I got support from others even though they probably thought my art was absolute garbage. Looking back at my previous art I even know how much it sucked. Point is, I improved and got better, and probably would of quit if everyone just told me I flat out sucked. Seriously.
That just means you need to grow some balls. Learn to trust on your own judgment instead of trying to fit the mold for others. You said your previous drawings sucked, but others didn't tell you that. Now what would've happened if someone around that time was honest, burst your bubble and told you you sucked (with the best intentions)? You probably would gotten mad at him because everybody told you you were awesome, so he must've been a rude person who wanted to hurt your feelings.

Always be your own worst critic. There is nothing wrong with sucking at things, as long as you realize you suck and strive to get better. You don't need people whispering sweet little things in your ears. That's for little kids who use the potty for the first time. But if you're 8 and you still **** your pants, you shouldn't get mad at others.

Just like you shouldn't be mad if a player picks wario and keeps farting on your face and laughing on his bike. That's what that character was made for. Wah wah waah!

Last edited:

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I hate when I play well enough in slideshow lag that if I lose, they save the video it looks like they beat someone who wasn't playing in lag. I never like putting on a tech show and losing, especially when someone has one second to analyze each frame.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I haven't had much trouble with Bayonetta, however Corrin is another story. I say 60% of the Corrins I fight just spam the stuck move and run away. I also hate the strength of Corrin's counter (a Corrin with like 60% killed my 0% Ganondorf who just because I used an uncharged side smash). Also her "let's do this!" taunt is annoying.

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
Corrin's counter needs to be nerfed
At least I'm not the only one falling victim to that Bull**** counter. Seriousely. People screamed ''HOLY BALLS OP PLZ NERF!'' when they saw that Luma's Utilt could kill at 0% with rage when her shield is broken, but when it's Corrin's Counter only they all go like ''Oh it's fine.'' Yeah it's totally balanced killing at 0%-10% with a counter

Last edited:

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
So is Corrin like a Manakete or something? That's literally the only class that can turn into a dragon.

Top Bottom