• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What games have you played because of Super Smash Bros?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
TLDR list which series of games you played thanks to Smash Bros along with where you started. You can include games you tried thanks to trophies too.

I saw someone talking about a topic like this in the Unpopular Opinions topic, and it's something that I had a lot to say about, because I'm not a fan of Smash Bros because of the various Nintendo characters in the games, it's actually the other way around for the most part. I was hoping someone else would make it, but it never happened, so I guess I'm going to have to make it myself.

When I was a little guy, I only ever got new games once or twice a year on Birthdays and Holidays, with the occasional video store rental. Because of this, I was extremely choosey about what games I got to play. My family owned the Mario Bros. trilogy, so I already knew Mario was a game that I loved. The only other games I played besides Mario, were lisenced games based on movies and cartoons I enjoyed as a kid, with the occasional co-op game my brother and I agreed to rent at the video store. And eventually, I ended up falling victim to the Pokemon Boom as well. So Mario and Pokemon were the two Nintendo properties I was familiar with before Super Smash Bros.

And then I saw a commercial on TV in which Pikachu, Mario, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong were all together, and beating each other up in a Sunflower field. I lost my mind that my two biggest video game obsessions were together in the same game, and rented it immediately. Once I actually played the game, it turned out there were these other characters in the game that I was much less familiar with. And I thought they were really cool characters.

I'm going to stop the preamble here because I would probably have a long rant prepared for almost every Smash game up until Smash Wii U ( I'll get into why that is after i'm done cutting to the chase ).

I tried the following series, thanks to Smash Bros:

:ultfox: - I borrowed Star Fox 64 from a friend after thinking Fox was pretty dang cool.
:ultkirby: - Rented Kirby 64 for similar reasons to Fox. I actually rented it twice when my friend told me there was a secret ending for collecting the crystals.
:ultlink: - Actually, I messed around in a Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time before I played Smash but I never played a Zelda game in full before that, but Smash Bros. made me want to play them, so I pre-ordered the Wind Waker and got the OOT/Master Quest pre-order gift, making OOT the first Zelda game I completed.
:ultsamus: - I never even heard of Metroid before Smash. And I never really saw any games on store shelves either. Actually, I did intend to play a Metroid game after playing Smash, but I was given Metroid Prime for Christmas one year completely by surprise. I was baffled too because my family knew nothing about Metroid either, and I didn't let on that it was something I was interested in. But I was thrilled to get it as my first Metroid Game ( also beat the NES game that you can unlock by linking with my friend's copy of Zero Mission )
:ultness: - Never heard of Earthbound before Smash. The fighter info in Smash 64 didn't really clear much up for me ( they called Ness a boy genius? wtf? ) But a friend of mine who did play the game eventually told me all about the game, and introduced me to Emulation... unfortunately I didn't make it past Moonside. It wasn't until I was waiting for Brawl that I played the series again, but this time, I played all three back to back, and completed them all. Good times.
:ultfalcon: - When I saw this guy I thought "Oh, that's the other guy from Star Fox, right?" ...Eventually I picked up F-Zero GX after being hyped by the trailer included in the OOT/MQ disc.
:ulticeclimbers: - Actually I unlocked this one on Animal Crossing. I was excited to finally see where they came from...... it wasn't very good, lol
:ultmarth:- Going to be honest, I tried several Fire Emblem games through emulation ( and the Demo for Awakening ) and they just don't grab me. It's probably just the genre.
:ultpit: - Kid Icarus was actually the first virtual console game I bought for my Wii. I loved it so much I ended up playing it twice. My memory is failing me on weather or not there were Brawl Trailers before the Wii launched or if there was quite a wait for Brawl trailers, but it doesn't matter, because I remembered Pit's trophy from Melee, which influenced my decision to play the game.
:ultsnake: - I'm going to sound like a dirty bandwagoner for this but a friend of mine tried to get me to play MGS and I had zero interest. But once Snake got confirmed for Brawl I decided I was suddenly interested. At first I played Twin Snakes. It was okay. Didn't really grip me. After Brawl was released, I ended up with a PS3. And I used it to play all four MGS games back to back, and I fell in love.
:ultolimar: - You could say I played this game because of Smash. There were Pikmin trophies in Melee. But if I'm being real it was mostly the trailer on the Luigi's Mansion disc that got me, but the melee trophies were definitely an influence.
:ultvillager: - I was definitely influenced by the Melee trophies for this game. I don't know, Tom Nook and K. K. Slider were so weird but also very interesting looking characters, I had to know more. I had my friend get the original Gamecube game for me for Christmas. He watched me play for a little bit, and the funny thing is that he ended up asking me to get him the same thing for christmas. And this game actually ended up being quite a little retro game machine for me for a while.

Now for a series without a fighter... I played Panel De Pon because of Lip's Stick and all the people requesting her during Brawl speculation, I played Mach Rider because of the Big Blue music in melee, and I played Magical Star Sign, Joy Mech Fight, and Legendary Starfy because of their trophies in Smash Bros. I remember being a little bummed out by the Smash Wii U/3DS trophy selection because it seemed to be nothing but models ripped from more recent games, without too many unknown characters in the mix.

Keep in mind the only series not represented as a playable character I haven't played is Bayonetta and Xenoblade.... anyone else I didn't mention, ,I was familiar with them before their Smash Debut, or Smash just had no baring on me playing their games.

So let's hear it, what did you play because Smash made it seem enticing?

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
Made me try some series even if I didn't get into them like Pikmin and FE.

I really enjoyed KIU because of seeing him in brawl and his pretty large role in SSE. Never played much f-zero, G&W, animal crossing or some other series. Just really don't seem like I'd enjoy them.

Smash was probably one of the first games I ever played(maybe melee actually idk) so technically everything I've played in Nintendo could have been due to smash. But mario 64 and oot were pretty good, so probably not.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Fire Emblem Awakening, Metroid Other M, Mega Man 2 and 3, and Ice Climber

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
smash introduced me to metroid and a purple dragon named ridley :p

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I think almost everyone here has Fire Emblem as their answer.
For me I tried Earthbound due to Ness. It's now one of the best RPGs I've ever played.:ultness:
Pretty much for everything else I played before Smash, for those I played at least. Still haven't played a ROB, Xenoblade, or MGS games.

D

Deleted member

Well, I've started playing Xenoblade, Pokemon, Mega Man, and Bayonetta because of Smash.

Hell, I guess I can say it's thanks to this series that I know pretty much every other series besides Mario, since Melee was the very first time I saw them when I first played it as a child. Now I pretty much know every series in Smash and more.

I really want to play a Final Fantasy game, but their so damn hard to find!

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I think almost everyone here has Fire Emblem as their answer.
That may be true now, but we're getting dangerously close to an age where there are adults who have always had Fire Emblem games available to them in English.

Imagine that.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
:ultyoshi: Actually disliked Yoshi before Smash 64(long story), but after playing and maining him I felt I should give his games another go. Yoshi's Island is one of the first games I bothered to finish to completion as a result and secured him as my favourite video game character to date, pushing him above Luigi and Tails at the time.

:ultkirby: Decided to try Kirby out in Return to Dreamland. Loved it, although I skipped the next few titles, Star Allies is one of the few games I've bought for my Switch thus far.

:ultdk: Having not had a games console until the Gamecube, I missed out on Rare's Country games bar a few quick goes on DKC2 in two player. Started with Jet Race, but luckily decided to stick around when Returns came out. Completed it, and bought Tropical Freeze. Great game.

:ultlink: Hadn't played a Legend of Zelda game prior to Smash 64. Played a lot after. Wind Waker totally hooked me in, Four Sword Adventures was fun with three friends, didn't care for Twilight Princess, skipped Skyward Sword, enjoyed Minish Cap and the Oracle games, Majoras Mask and Ocarina of Time are good albeit OoT is still very overrated.

:ultfalcon: Bought F-Zero GX. Loved it a lot. Can't wait for the sequel...

:ultroy::ultike: Made me want to try Fire Emblem out, but it wasn't until Awakening launched I got my chance. Played it, loved it until we got to the Sayri missions then the momentum of enjoyment I built up ground to a halt. Realised the gameplay wasn't massively for me, but glad I gave :ultrobin:ultlucina::ultchrom: a shot.

:ultfox: Rented Starfox Adventures for a week from Blockbuster(that was a thing once) but didn't much care for it. Was going to give his actual piloting games a go around the Wii U period finally but Zero was panned so hard it put me off.

:ultsamus: Gave Metroid Prime a go. It's good. The younger me gave up on it, but I may have to search it out and try again.

:ultness: Played a bit around a friends house. Not a massive RPG fella, but the small amount I've played was good...probably still not going to pick it back up though.

:ulticeclimbers: After Melee dropped I went out my way to try and play Ice Climbers. It's aged terribly and is generally one of the worst NES games I've ever played.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Mole Mania of all things actually. I know it's weird to say a game that has literally no representation in Smash, but it's true! seeing Muddy Mole on a fanmade list of ATs back in... 2011 I think... made me interested in Mole Mania.

I had played Sonic Rush before I played Brawl, but didn't really like it. however, after playing as Sonic in Smash I picked up the Sonic Classic Collection on DS and enjoyed it. a few years later I got an AtGames Master System plug and play and discovered Tails' Adventure, the game that got me into (Classic) Sonic big-time.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Pretty much everything not named Mario, Zelda and Pokemon, Smash Melee was a very early game for me

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Xenoblade Chronicles, had no idea who Shulk was but he looked real cool in his reveal trailer.

Also the music was hype.

Uffe

Smash Hero
:ulticeclimbers: I also unlocked this game in Animal Crossing.
:ultwario: I was aware of the Wario Land games, but I hadn't played them until a few years ago. I wish there were more Wario games that didn't have Ware as a suffix.

I've never played Bayonetta. It doesn't appeal to me.
I've played Final Fantasy games, but not Final Fantasy VII. It seems overhyped.
I've never played Splatoon, even though I wanted to long before Inkling got in Smash
I haven't played PunchOut!
I've never played any of the Game & Watch games.
I've never Kid Icarus: Uprising, even though I've played the first two Kid Icarus games.
I haven't played Gyromite, the game with R.O.B.
I've never played Super Mario Galaxy. I've never liked Rosalina, and she's given me a reason to hate her even more.
I've never played any of the Metal Gear games.
I haven't played Wii Fit.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Before Smash 64, I was already a big fan of Donkey Kong Country, Pokemon, and a little Mario and also Yoshi's Island of course. I had little knowledge of other franchises, and Smash really opened my eyes to a lot of characters. As I was even unfamiliar with Link (who I of course called Zelda first) and Samus.

I'll just go handle it character by character, with the proper icon of which game they appeared in first.

:link64:: Directly wanted to play Ocarina of Time, and got Link's Awakening first. Been a Zelda fan ever since.
:kirby64:: Played a few Kirby games at a friend's house. Looked fun, been a low key fan since. Truth to be told, the games don't appeal too much anymore because of overall low difficulty.
:fox64:: Got me far more interessted in Star Fox Adventures, and eventually got Star Fox 64 for 3DS, and played and finished Command on DS.

At that given time, nothing else "really" interessted me. Then Melee came.

:samusmelee:: Metroid Fusion, was my first game, loved it. Played Zero Mission on emulation eventually later, bought Prime, Prime 3, Other M, and Samus Returns 3DS. Overall, yes it made me a Metroid fan. It also helped that Melee Samus >>>>>>>>>> any other incarnation of Samus in Smash. I really didn't feel much for Samus in the first Smash game.
:nessmelee:: Before Brawl was even revealed and verrrrry early speculation came, I was a lot into emulating and people here suggested me EarthBound. LOVED IT! Ness became a favorite since then. I also had friends recommend me EarthBound before I believe. And since the MOTHER 3 translation also came out before Brawl, I began supporting Lucas after playing the game. :lucas:
:marthmelee:: What is this Fire Emblem? Ohh hey games are coming out... Asked here if they where good, was introduced to the franchise a little beyond when I played EarthBound, and gave FE 7 a try, but the first game I actually BOUGHT of the franchise was Path of Radiance, and Radiant Dawn a few moments before Brawl came out. :ike: Even played Fire Emblem 6 :roymelee: and loved it's challenge!
:falconmelee:: Played a few accesable F-Zero games, but didn't feel much for them. The controls felt too sensitive, and messing up was far too easy.

Brawl time...

:pit:: Literally the only character I began to explore. Eventually bought Uprising, but that's also far in Smash 4's lifespan because I got the 3DS very late.
:wario:: Saw him in Smash before the release, got myself Wario Ware Smooth Moves. Great game.

Nothing else to mentoin here, but still want to try out Metal Gear and Pikmin honestly.

Smash 3DS / Wii U:

:4lucina::4robinm:: Eventually gave me Fire Emblem Awakening another try. Didn't like the fanbase of the game first, and didn't even own a 3DS.
:4corrinf:: So I also got Fates, and it's a solid game honestly. Except for the story.
:4greninja:: Eventually got me to play some Pokemon Showdown online. Which is kind of a cheat, but I guess it somewhat counts.

Nothing else in Smash 4 interessted me enough. Maybe will give Mega Man and Street Fighter a go. Bayonetta looks.. somewhat interessting, but not fully convinced yet. Could eventually be leading to play the games because the Switch just doesn't have many interessting titles for me at this given point. I missed out on Xenoblade unfortuantely. that was also a game I really wanted to play.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
The only Nintendo games I played before smash were mario kart and zelda, I have since tried most franchises or at least intend to at some point and smash did play at least a little bit of a role in convincing me to do that (except animal crossing, splatoon, and most 3rd party franchises, played those series before they got in smash).

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Series Smash introduced me to:
:ulticeclimbers: - remember being excited to get the GBA port. I actually really enjoy this game. Surprised how much people dislike it.
:ultness: - was waiting for that rerelease from the moment I played Smash 64 all the way to the Wii U VC.... At least it happened finally
:ultmarth: - FE was mythical to my friend group after Melee. We somehow had this whole (incorrect) gameplay system and even storyline we were convinced it had up to the point FE GBA released. Don't know how that happened. Playground talk I guess. After the FE in my head became this glorious game with 3D sword fighting and a grand story spanning generations, I was a bit shellshocked fo realize it was all playground rumors that got out of control. Luckily I still loved it.

For reference, series I haven't played: :ultrob::ultwiifittrainer:
I was shocked at how small my "characters I learned about from Smash" list was, but I wasn't prepared for this lol. I actually had a bigger list when Melee came out because despite F-Zero SNES being a game I played religiously, I didn't realize that was the same game series as Cpt Falcon.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
:ultrobin - Technically, I played Fire Emblem Awakening due to Smashboards members telling me to, so not exactly Smash... But then I fell in love with it and played it like a month before Robin/Lucina were announced and I died of happiness. Close enough though.

:ultbayonetta: - Saw her confirmed and was like ????. Went back and bought her first game on 360 for $2. I still feel like I got ripped off. I really hated it lol

:ultness::ultlucas: - I doubt I'd have ever really cared about their games aside from Smash. I still don't love them (Gameplay especially) but the story/music is great.

:ultmegaman: - Never played a Megaman game before his inclusion in Smash 4. I tried out MM2, didn't love it, but at least I tried it.

:ultsimon::ultrichter: - Basically see above from Megaman. I never tried Castlevania. Tried the one from SNES Classic, didn't like it. Tried Dracula X, didn't like it. Music is dope though

:ultshulk: - This barely counts- I mostly just watched the cutscenes online because I didn't care for the gameplay.

Vermilion

Smash Cadet
Just :ulticeclimbers:. I’ve already played most of the popular series and nothing else has caught my eye yet.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ultjigglypuff::ultlucario::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultpokemontrainer::ultrosalina::ultryu::ultsonic::ultwario::ultyoshi: :ultcloud::ultryu:played all these without the influnce of smash.

:ultbayonetta:- Looking into getting a copy of both games, waiting on a good price for the switch version
:ultcorrin:- got the game due to dlc announcement
:ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsheik:- started LOZ around brawl time
:ultike::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultrobin:ultroy::ultchrom:- started fire emblem due to smash, surprising liked the games play style.
:ultinkling:- glad I played this one it is a fun game
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:- started during brawl days ( played before smash but never completed anything )
:ultlittlemac:- played the wii version, was ok game nothing I spend much time playing
:ultolimar: - did not get very far, was not interested in the gameplay at all
:ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena:- played sakurai's 3ds version and it was all right game
:ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley:- man glad smash introduced me to the wonders of metroid, great games they are.
:ultshulk:- picked this up due to the chat of his possable inclusion in the smash 4 roster, it is a great game and well ass x2.
:ultsimon:- got me to try castlevania and that game is freaking hard, great there was system restore lol
:ultsnake:- played his game due to the announcements, loved the story

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I started my foray into the Fire Emblem series thanks to Melee, the first one being FE7. Ironically enough, I have yet to play Marth and Roy's respective FE entries. I tried playing Xenoblade Chronicles but the combat system was just odd for me. Ended up not playing it after a while. There's still a lot of series I have yet to try but I've been busy with other games when I find the time.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
:ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultganondorf: - Introduced me to Legend of Zelda
:ulticeclimbers: - Made me try out Ice Climber
:ultkirby: - Started playing the Kirby series
:ultmarth::ultroy: - Made me look into Fire Emblem
:ultpit: - Made me interested in the Kid Icarus series
:ultness::ultlucas: - Started playing and became a fan of Earthbound/Mother
:ultsamus: - Started playing Metroid
:ultlittlemac: - Started playing Punch-Out!!

So yeah, this series opened me up to more than just Mario and Pokémon :)

Last edited:

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
:ultmario: - Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World, and Mario Odyssey.
:ultlink: - Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask 3D, and Breath of the Wild.
:ultmarth: - FE Awakening. I stopped playing Fire Emblem at that game.
:ultkirby: - Kirby Super Star Ultra. I stopped playing Kirby at that game.

I began with Melee because of Pokémon, and I continued to play that franchise until recently, so no, I did not get hooked on any of the Pokémon games as a result of a Smash Bros game.

Top Bottom