• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Over screens scare you most?

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
On a side note, this is the happiest game over screen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09s-c2JVI40
I played so much Sega Rally as a kid... I remember that game over screen very well.
Well, I don't think I ever had a game over screen that scared me. I always thought they were disappointing, sure (or satisfying it they're also played after you beat the game, Sega Rally does that!) but I don't think any of them scared me. Welp, the ones from the House of the Dead series scared me as a really young child just because the entire game scared me. As soon as I got old enough (read: 8 years old instead of 4) to play the games properly... eh, they didn't scare me.

finalark

SNORLAX
Welp, the ones from the House of the Dead series scared me as a really young child just because the entire game scared me. As soon as I got old enough (read: 8 years old instead of 4) to play the games properly... eh, they didn't scare me.
The House of the Dead series scared me ****less my entire childhood. It wasn't until I was in my teens that I went back and realized that they're not scary at all. But when I was in elementary school it was way too much for me.

My childhood friends used to hang out at this arcade (RIP) when we were kids. I would always get picked on for being afraid of zombies so I would play House of the Dead to prove that I was brave. And then I would go home and have terrible nightmares.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
The House of the Dead series scared me ****less my entire childhood. It wasn't until I was in my teens that I went back and realized that they're not scary at all. But when I was in elementary school it was way too much for me.

My childhood friends used to hang out at this arcade (RIP) when we were kids. I would always get picked on for being afraid of zombies so I would play House of the Dead to prove that I was brave. And then I would go home and have terrible nightmares.
Man, I used to be so scared of the Saturn version of the original game because it looked so scary, it had scawy green blood in it, and at the start of the game, there was a scawy deformed zombie at the loading screen~!...
Nowadays, you know what's scary about the Saturn version of the game? Dem graphics! Wow, incredible, it's almost like you can count every single individual pixel from the textures!
Also, the voice acting in the second game, now that's scary.
"Hm, Hm, Hm, Hm, Hmmmm... People of the AMS... I am Goldman..."
"I'm fully aware of what I'm doing, can't you see? Man commitedasin, disturbing the loyfe soycle of nature! The original sin is that man's responsible to... TO PROTECT THE LOYFE SOYCLE! I have made a creachur to rule over maaaankind! Dis is the final buh-tol, show yourself, our new ruler, THE EMPERAH!"

Just, who is the voice actor for Goldman? We need to find him.

finalark

SNORLAX
Also, the voice acting in the second game, now that's scary.
"Hm, Hm, Hm, Hm, Hmmmm... People of the AMS... I am Goldman..."
"I'm fully aware of what I'm doing, can't you see? Man commitedasin, disturbing the loyfe soycle of nature! The original sin is that man's responsible to... TO PROTECT THE LOYFE SOYCLE! I have made a creachur to rule over maaaankind! Dis is the final buh-tol, show yourself, our new ruler, THE EMPERAH!"

Just, who is the voice actor for Goldman? We need to find him.
"Suffer like G did" would have been a lot of intimidating if it wasn't said in an impossibly high pitched voice and if it wasn't posed as a question.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
"Suffer like G did" would have been a lot of intimidating if it wasn't said in an impossibly high pitched voice and if it wasn't posed as a question.
(We are kind of sidetracking this thread, aren't we?)
In the original, when Hangedman said "Nobody leaves here alive..." and "This is as far as you go - I'll finish you here!" it atleast sounded (somewhat) threatening, and he also said it in a similarly high-pitched voice. The original had far less voice acting than the sequel, and while it wasn't great, atleast the voice actors sounded like they put some emotion into it.

Oh, and speaking of Sega Saturn, I remembered this one. It always managed to startle me. And this is a game I'd very rarely play.

Dan

Smash Lord
Nice thread. Smash 64 actually has a more sinister game over screen than Melee.

Princess Sylveon

Banned via Warnings
Donkey Kong Land's End Screen freaked me out SO BAD when I was a kid. It Was Because Of Diddy's Square EYE!

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
The Game over screen to Tetris Attack always made me feel really sad and introspective. The music just gets you.

Dan

Smash Lord
How about creepy victory music? How creepy is this?

Honestly just listen to this as long as you can; 2:30 in and I feel tears coming on.

I wish they would give an interview one day and say why Smash 64 had this creepy, empty ambience to it. Like why would you put such creepy/ominous victory music in a game you know is predominately gonna be played by children? I'm glad they did, because otherwise we wouldn't be sitting here talking about it 20 years later.

Princess Sylveon

Banned via Warnings
If I Had To Choose Between Robocop 2 For The NES, Rise Of The Robots For The Game Gear, And Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear To The Rescue For The GBC, It Would Be Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear To The Rescue For The GBC Because It Is So Creepy That I HAD 2 Heart Attacks From Seeing It, And That ALSO Gave Me The Fear Of Silence And Darkness Witch Is Why I Sleep With Sound.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Although I haven't played it yet, and nor do I have plans to, I'd say that the Waxworks' Game Over screens does a pretty good job at scaring me, despite me not ever having seen them. I've heard that they're pretty gruesome, and that's all I need to convince me not to look at them. So, I guess the game manages to scare me in more of an intimidation way rather than a nightmare way.

Desu_Maiden

Smash Cadet
Without a doubt, the Game Over screen from the God of War series on the PlayStation scares me the most. "You are DEAD" in big red, blood -stained letters. Pretty creepy if you ask me.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The game over screen from Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin always kinda freaked me out.

Um... that game over screen only shows up in Sisters Mode. This is the standard Game Over screen.
Doesn't it feel like there are two different laughs tho?
Yes, and I have no clue who's laughing alongside Robotnik there.
Not 'scary', but still very much the one I did want to see the least was Banjo Kazooie. Watching your sister get transformed into the Hulk was not what I wanted.
That one actually scared the piss out of me as a kid. I had to flee the room whenever I ran out of lives or quit out of the game.
I don't know why, but as a teen I could not play this game at night. Luigi's Mansion Game Over screen was creepy!
It was actually even worse in the beta version...

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Note: I haven't played them.
1. Kirby Mass Attack-Seeing Kirby as a lifeless angel and him killed off just breaks my heart.
2. Jurrasic Park SNES-That bell ring makes me shudder in horror.
3. Smash 64-The creepy voice.

FreddieM

Smash Rookie
I remember sonic CD music would scare me as a kid whenever he says I'm out of here. Also another one would be Waxworks. That was my worst fear because of how it shows you dying, which always gave me nightmares. Besides those two, the game over music from Symphony of the Night sounds creepy, gives me spine chills, and the Arachnophobia game over screen looks creepy. (I didn't want to show any of the game over screens from Waxworks cause it's pretty gruesome.)

Last edited:

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
Well, when I was 14, I got an N64 with Banjo-Kazooie. I had some fun but I eventually had to take a break so I pushed Save & Quit. For some reason, the Game Over screen showed up. I think the fact it showed up so suddenly caught me off guard and really hit me XD.

Dan

Smash Lord
Well, when I was 14, I got an N64 with Banjo-Kazooie. I had some fun but I eventually had to take a break so I pushed Save & Quit. For some reason, the Game Over screen showed up. I think the fact it showed up so suddenly caught me off guard and really hit me XD.
I always wondered why that game showed the creepy game over screen just for quitting.

FreddieM

Smash Rookie
Although I haven't played it yet, and nor do I have plans to, I'd say that the Waxworks' Game Over screens does a pretty good job at scaring me, despite me not ever having seen them. I've heard that they're pretty gruesome, and that's all I need to convince me not to look at them. So, I guess the game manages to scare me in more of an intimidation way rather than a nightmare way.
Same here, my worst nightmare

Top Bottom