• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Over screens scare you most?

pixelatedcody

Pixelated Inkling
NNID
cncody
when I was a kid, seeing the Game Over screen period scared me.

Especially when I was trying to beat Ninja Gaiden (NES) You get so far...and then one wrong move and you just die.

alot.

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
The ones from Metroid Prime 1 and 2.
Eternal Darkness
Super Mario Sunshine (that game just scared me in general because it was so hard)
Tales of Symphonia. "No one ever heard from them again."

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I think I literally had a nightmare once involving the GameCube 'System Error' message on start-up.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's not really a game over screen but Pikachu's scream whenever he faints in Pokemon Yellow was just too much for me as a kid.

Namefound

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2664-2603-8552
The game over screen from the first Kingdom Hearts game used to creep me out. I mean, it just looks a bit disturbing with Sora motionlessly floating in the void with his heart hovering over him, don't you agree?

OreWaUsopp

Smash Rookie
Wow, I've been reading this list, and, while I don't want to bash, I notice a lot of these are really tame. Donkey Kong Country? I dunno, I never saw that as scary or traumatizing, but, I may have become inured since I played Waxworks as a kid. Seriously, that game made me afraid to die in game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqRgDkWXA0

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
Brawl's Game Over screen freaked the s*** outta me as a kid. The announcer shouts "GAME OVER" with dramatic music. When that happens, you know you've done goofed.
I also thought Symphony of the Night's Game Over screen was kinda scary. The screen melts as it transitions to it, and then you see a very haunting picture of a skull, a crucifix, and Dracula's Castle. The announcer shouts "GAME OVER" and then proceeds to laugh evilly.
Also Majoria's Mask Game Over screen. That speaks for itself.

Frisk.

Child of Mercy
As a kid I always felt a little uneasy with Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2's game over screens. Mostly DKC 2 as you are locked in a cage while the sun sets.

On another note and I guess it's more of a "bad end" rather than a game over screen but oh well "I have no mouth, and I must scream" has a really disturbing game over, I can't say I was a huge fan of the game, a little too dark for my tastes but it certainly left an impact.

カワシさん

The Spy Hunter (PS2) game over screen scared me to death. The way they made the colors was creepy, but the music.. I made sure I restarted when I died so I wouldn't see it. The screen for the final level was even worst..

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
This:

And this:

Both of these terrified me when I first saw them.

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
Either this.
Or this
The second one is more hilarious than scary though...

zaiman12345

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theawesome4567
Either this.
Or this
The second one is more hilarious than scary though...
you are dead you are dead dead dead
that one is really funny except that the thing is really scary
the first one is SCARY AND IT JUST SCARRED ME FOR LIFE

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
When I was young, Luigi's Mansion would scare me.
While not technically a game over screen (it still somewhat applies), Freddy or any of the other Animatronics have scared the living daylights out of me as they mauled you to death.

Last edited:

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
you are dead you are dead dead dead
that one is really funny except that the thing is really scary
the first one is SCARY AND IT JUST SCARRED ME FOR LIFE
I am so sorry

FairyGardens435

Smash Cadet
NNID
FAIRYWARS98
3DS FC
2810-1101-1258
I've never been one that gets scared easily, but all of these have given me a bad feeling in my stomach.

- A really bad Shamu game I have has Shamu falling into a black screen if you lose air or health.

This one isn't really a game over but certainly feels like one.

...Did I mention that Clue game was originally rated E?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hmm, good question. As far as I know, not a single Game Over screen from a video game has ever managed to scare me.

I ain't kidding.

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
I know this is pretty weird but I found Kirby and The Crystal Shards(correct me on the title lol if I didn't say it correct) it's game over screen pretty weird since it said like Game Over in huge letters lol. Sonic's Game Over music has always been weird too.

D

Deleted member

The game over screen in Brawl's classic mode, bar none. EarthBound's isn't necessarily scary but it still fills me with a feeling of creeping failure.

spacefish3

Smash Rookie
NNID
spacefish3
I couldn't find a video of it, but Deus Ex 1 has a creepy one, you just watch JC Denton bleed out.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, I did not want to click that Metroid Prime 2 video. When I got that game over, it terrified me beyond belief.

YerroBryBry

Smash Cadet
NNID
YerroBryBryy
To be honest, when I was little I'd always be really scared of the game over screen for fire emblem whenever one of the lords die. I know it's pretty silly but Its pretty scary for me even now when I go to the game over screen, knowing that I will have to restart the whole chapter! Whenever any lords die you hear that really tragic music playing at the background and you then try so hard not to encounter this game over screen again...! Plus the sad music makes you feel like their death is your fault :(

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Not really a game over, but Mario turning into a skeleton when he died via eletricity damage in SMG1 really scared me.

Disasterbate5k

Smash Rookie
NNID
DomJon96
Switch FC
SW 3084 0409 4228
Metroid Prime 2 is an easy one. Donkey Kong 64 and Super Monkey Ball freaked me out too. But the scariest for me as a kid was hands down that of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.

Metroid Prime 2 is an easy one. Donkey Kong 64 and Super Monkey Ball freaked me out too. But the scariest for me as a kid was hands down that of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.
I haven't seen the SotE game over but if I did I would yell "I HAVE A VERY BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS!"

Scariest for me hands down was Rolling Thunder. "UHUHUHAHAHA!"

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Banjo Kazooie's. Not only did it tell you your game was over, it rubbed salt in your wounds by showing you what the consequence was, and then you had to look at Orge-Tootie pawing at you until you collected your wits and pressed start.

Top Bottom