• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What game are you currently playing?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Just grabbed Super Metroid and Golden Sun from the Club Nintendo offers.

Playing Super Metroid and that is one awesome game. Stuck at Ridley now though, that guy refuses to die!

JackMcCloud18

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jack_McCloud
3DS FC
4639-8950-8890
Currently Playing: Tales of Xillia 2 (PlayStation 3) and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (Nintendo 3DS)

About 27 hours into Tales of Xillia 2 and loving it every bit as the first one!
Working on a Sunny Day team in Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, really just waiting for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate to come out Friday!

Last edited:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Gonna play through the 2nd season of The Walking Dead, then gonna hop over to Telltale's other game The Wolf Among Us. I played through the 1st season of TWD and absolutely loved it, so I'm hoping the 2nd season is just as good. I have heard good things about it, so there's that at least. I have almost no knowledge about TWAU; but it looked interesting enough to try.

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
Just got my Wii U on Tuesday and it came with Super Mario 3D World, so I've been busy trying to finish that while playing Smash in between. Just glad I don't have to suffer through an Xbox anymore, tbh. One more shooter and I would have lost it.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Just started Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. Guess the game I will play for the next few months has been set! Although the initial gathering quests are a bore, this game seems more interesting in the start than Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Absolutely Gore-geous game :p

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Gonna play through the 2nd season of The Walking Dead, then gonna hop over to Telltale's other game The Wolf Among Us. I played through the 1st season of TWD and absolutely loved it, so I'm hoping the 2nd season is just as good. I have heard good things about it, so there's that at least. I have almost no knowledge about TWAU; but it looked interesting enough to try.
I played through The Wolf Among Us in full two days ago. It's really good. I plan on getting both seasons of The Walking Dead if they're anything like The Wolf Among Us. Highly recommend.

Playing Majora's Mask 3D right now like most people.

Take 5

Smash Apprentice
Mainly playing Smash Wii U, although I'm planning to start Majora's Mask 3DS. N64 version was my favorite Zelda game, so the hype is real :)

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I'm currently playing Majora's Mask 3D and Earthbound. I'll be playing Xenoblade as soon as my copy comes in the mail.

AK47Productions

Smash Rookie
Recently replaying Arkham Origins. Been too long since I last touched it so I started a new game to refresh myself to the plot.

Panda Yuki

Smash Rookie
NNID
PandaYuki
I just got Link to the Past and Golden Sun about a week or two ago on the virtual console, so I've been making my way through those ever since.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm playing Pokémon Omega Ruby! Is there a Smashboards forum discussing ORAS?
We have an entire section of the forms devoted to Pokemon here: http://smashboards.com/forums/poké-center.57/

Anyway, I've been playing through Chrono Cross.

I really, really want to like this game. So far it's been pretty underwhelming. The overarching narrative is interesting and it has a good set up, but the game play is really, really dull. Doesn't help that I hate damn near every party member I've picked up so far. I'm really considering just dropping my play through and just revisiting Chrono Trigger, but we'll see how much longer I'm willing to give it before I get fed up with its flaws.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I have been playing Evolve, Monster Hunter 4, and Heroes of the Storm a lot lately.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
We have an entire section of the forms devoted to Pokemon here: http://smashboards.com/forums/poké-center.57/

Anyway, I've been playing through Chrono Cross.

I really, really want to like this game. So far it's been pretty underwhelming. The overarching narrative is interesting and it has a good set up, but the game play is really, really dull. Doesn't help that I hate damn near every party member I've picked up so far. I'm really considering just dropping my play through and just revisiting Chrono Trigger, but we'll see how much longer I'm willing to give it before I get fed up with its flaws.
It has a lot of flaws. The best enjoyment you can get out of it is to treat it as its own game, pay attention to the great music, and see what references/easter eggs you can find relating to CT. The beginning of the game is fun, middle is weak, the end is actually pretty good. As for characters, there's a lot of terrible throw away ones, but some I really enjoy. I'll have to look at the list again.

The gameplay is its weakest part though, so I agree with that. Game is too easy, double/triple techs aren't core mechanics, and the leveling up system is beyond awful.

I'd say I enjoy Cross mostly for its music and atmosphere. It's crazy how many good soundtracks Square had during the PS1 days.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
It has a lot of flaws. The best enjoyment you can get out of it is to treat it as its own game, pay attention to the great music, and see what references/easter eggs you can find relating to CT. The beginning of the game is fun, middle is weak, the end is actually pretty good. As for characters, there's a lot of terrible throw away ones, but some I really enjoy. I'll have to look at the list again.
I've been approaching it as its own thing. It's obviously not meant to be one of those sequels that continues the story of the previous entry. Instead, it's more of a Lord of the Rings compared to The Hobbit kind of sequel where, while there are a few things from the previous entry that come up, it's a pretty independent story.

So far the characters I've picked up are Kid, Nikki and Korcha. Kid's impulsive and reckless personality drives me up a wall, Nikki has the potential to be interesting but so far his arc was thrown right out the window as soon as I finished viper manor and he seems to be sticking around just because. As for Korcha, sorry Square, but having a character scream CHA at the end of every word ending with it is not characterization. It's just annoying.

I'm only a few hours in. I just got to the point where Kid was poisoned by Lynx. I got up to the hyrdra, saved and called it a night. Since I have an extended weekend coming up I'm going to push to try and finish the game if I have the time. I feel like there's some really good stuff buried somewhere in here, I just have to push onward to get to it.

The gameplay is its weakest part though, so I agree with that. Game is too easy, double/triple techs aren't core mechanics, and the leveling up system is beyond awful.
It doesn't help that the elements mechanic doesn't really work. The idea of building up a meter of sorts that lets you use more powerful magic is neat in theory. However, in practice it means every fight boils down to the following:

Turn One: Your whole party kicks the crap out of the monsters
Turn Two: Your whole party blasts the monsters with their most powerful elements
Turn Three: If the monsters aren't dead yet, repeat the above. Heal occasionally if you need it.

It also bugs me that items are grouped into elements. Somehow it makes the game feel stripped.

I'd say I enjoy Cross mostly for its music and atmosphere. It's crazy how many good soundtracks Square had during the PS1 days.
I'd have to agree.

Seriously, the use of string instruments in this soundtrack is beautiful. Even if I don't like the game all that much I really wouldn't mind owning the OST.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So far the characters I've picked up are Kid, Nikki and Korcha. Kid's impulsive and reckless personality drives me up a wall, Nikki has the potential to be interesting but so far his arc was thrown right out the window as soon as I finished viper manor and he seems to be sticking around just because. As for Korcha, sorry Square, but having a character scream CHA at the end of every word ending with it is not characterization. It's just annoying.

I'm only a few hours in. I just got to the point where Kid was poisoned by Lynx. I got up to the hyrdra, saved and called it a night. Since I have an extended weekend coming up I'm going to push to try and finish the game if I have the time. I feel like there's some really good stuff buried somewhere in here, I just have to push onward to get to it.
Ah, if you took this route, you chose the non-Glenn route, so you can't get him now. However, you can get Razzly still since you took this path. She's trapped somewhere in the Hydra Marsh and you need to go save her. Do it now if you can still go back, otherwise she'll be gone (eaten). I didn't like Korcha either, the only good thing about that route is getting Razzly (green innate and staff weapon).
It doesn't help that the elements mechanic doesn't really work. The idea of building up a meter of sorts that lets you use more powerful magic is neat in theory. However, in practice it means every fight boils down to the following:

Turn One: Your whole party kicks the crap out of the monsters
Turn Two: Your whole party blasts the monsters with their most powerful elements
Turn Three: If the monsters aren't dead yet, repeat the above. Heal occasionally if you need it.

It also bugs me that items are grouped into elements. Somehow it makes the game feel stripped.
Yeah, the magic system is a little weird on how you equip it. The part I liked most was that each innate was paired, so it was cool being strong against an innate that you're also weak to. Consumables weren't too amazing to me either. They were just there to fill a slot.

The magic system is mostly there as a way to balance the game since you get some really broken spells towards the end, so attacking enough to cast it made sense for some boss fights. Again though, the game was too easy besides a few boss fights. Fields is another mechanic. It powers up your spells if the last 3 spells are the same color, but those are mostly reserved for summons instead of deep strategy.

I think the greatest part of the magic/innate/field system ties to the final boss fight for the true ending.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Currently playing:

1) Super Smash Bros. Wii U

2) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)

3) Mario Kart 8

4) Armored Core 3 (PS2)

5) Nintendo All Star! Dairantō Smash Brothers 64 - Keepin' it real by playing the Japanese version on the real N64 hardware.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Child of Light.

Ugh, I really don't like the dialogue from this game. It's nothing but rhymes and it's already getting annoying to me. Besides that, I think it's an interesting game so far. A neat mix of an RPG and a puzzle platformer.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Gonna 100 percent DK64 this time. Best Donkey Kong game
My friend finally did that the other day. Didn't it hold the world record for most unlockables in a game for a lonnnnnggg time?

I'm currently playing MM3D and Earthbound. I will be playing MH4U once I have the money.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Child of Light.

Ugh, I really don't like the dialogue from this game. It's nothing but rhymes and it's already getting annoying to me. Besides that, I think it's an interesting game so far. A neat mix of an RPG and a puzzle platformer.
But the rhymes are so funny!! Especially when you get the person that always seems like they're going to talk in rhymes and then just doesn't hahaha.

R0Y

Smash Master
Majora's Mask 3D and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse!

Last edited:

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
Just got Majora's Mask 3D over Bravely Default. I don't really like 3D Zelda games but I decided to give it a try... Its great so far and I've barely gotten into Clock Town.

finalark

SNORLAX
My friend and I have been playing Monster Hunter 4 pretty frequently. So far, this is the best MH game I've ever played (not that I've played that many, just Freedom Unite on PSP and MH3 Ultimate on Wii U). Capcom is finally addressing the series' infamous learning curve, being able to mount monsters adds a whole new level of strategy to the game and on-the-go online is a blast. So far my only real complaint is that there are still those really dull fishing and gathering quests that pretty much exist to pad out your playtime.

Seriously, if you've ever wanted to get into Monster Hunter but the series' newbie unfriendly nature scared you away this is the game to get started on.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I'm playing some of the first Legendary Starfy game because I'm bored.

Also started playing Pokemon Shuffle, but I don't know if I can really get into it. The fact it's a F2P game makes it rather hard for me to enjoy it.

JackMcCloud18

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jack_McCloud
3DS FC
4639-8950-8890
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (Battle Maison with the Girlfriend!), and VERY little Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate... Its a great game, but just not enjoying it much on a handheld. >.<

Ultimania

Smash Rookie
Beaten Parasite Eve and am now playing the EX Game. Also playing Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I'll also be playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky soon, too.
That's my favorite game of all time (just barely beating Mother3.)

It also happens I'm currently on my 5th playthrough.

I'm also juggling 'M&L: Partners in Time' and 'M&L: Dream Team' at the moment. I've already beaten 'Superstar Saga' and 'Bowser's Inside Story' and they're all pretty dang good.

Oh yeah, and I'm also kinda sorta playing 'PKMN Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity', but that game is such a letdown compared to the previous installments, man. I just cannot stay into that game.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, and I'm also kinda sorta playing 'PKMN Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity', but that game is such a letdown compared to the previous installments, man. I just cannot stay into that game.
Last time I played it, I was a bit disappointed with it myself. If there was a new PMD game in the works, I just hope it stays true to the original games and not be so dumbed down.

Top Bottom