• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What does your Wife/Girlfriend think of Super Smash Bros?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intheatrium

Smash Rookie
Sometimes I play a match against my girlfriend, just for cheap practice or whatever. She usually picks the cuter characters (Jiggs, Pichu), and tries her best.

Sometimes I like to play a game called, "How high can I get your damage"

InfiniteGXT

Smash Journeyman
I play that game all the time. But not with my gf. Yeah SSBM is a more nerdy game when it comes to relationships. Stick to Halo or WoW if you want that.

Danstr

Smash Rookie
she gets confused with SSBM, but Mario Kart is always good to go.

piZ

Smash Journeyman
IMO I would definetly consider WoW a nerdy game...
But hopping around classic Nintendo game levels, with classic nintendo characters, beating eachother up, learning advanced techniques, and then posting everyday on a forum about it isn't nerdy?

Then again, what constitutes being nerdy, and why do you consider 'nerdy' to be bad?

JFox

Smash Hero
I try to avoid romantic relations whenever possible.
....yeah good luck with that.

IMO I would definetly consider WoW a nerdy game...
agreed.

unfortunately, i don't have a gf. ben when i would have one, she would play it as well =)
that sounds like a fantasy that isn't going to come true. there aren't that many girls that play smash, and the ones that do most likely aren't going to be the ones you fall for.

I think i have a problem.... my gf told me she felt 2nd to the game in importance. :(
yeah you definitely have a problem on your hands. i would show her you care by turning down smash to see her once in a while.

my answer- my girlfriend thinks its kinda silly that i love this game so much, but she is a great person and respects my hobby. truthfully, liking basketball should be no more acceptable than ssbm. they are both silly games that usually are just for fun and wont get you anywhere in life. she realizes that i enjoy it, and she is happy that i am happy when i play it.

I do however try to make sure that i dont play it around her much, and that i dont talk about it much, since she really takes no interest in it. she has only seen me play once, and it was cuz her friend challenged me and i wiped the floor with him. but otherwise, i usually keep the two lives pretty separate. she doesnt play video games, so i dont force her. if she did take interest, i guess thatd be cool. but its not necessary.

as long as you pay enough attention to them, and they see that they come first, that is the most important thing. and if you do pay attention, and she still has a problem because of the social stigma there is in gaming, that she is immature and i wouldnt care to be with that type of person anyway.

Sighrax

Smash Lord
I got my ex to play quite frequently and use Peach. A couple of weeks ago she told me she money matched some smack talking scrub for 20 bucks and won XD

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I think i have a problem.... my gf told me she felt 2nd to the game in importance. :(
Mine too! I gave her a hug for being so understanding.

Me and my brother sometimes place bets on our girlfriends and have them play each other in smash brothers. My girlfriend goes with Kirby and spams that hammer for all its worth.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
my boyfriend taught me how to play smash a few years ago and we now we go to tournaments together. :) It's a lot of fun. I love the game, and probably play it more/go to more big tournaments than he does =)

N.OW

Smash Journeyman
I cant even talk about smash bros in front of my girlfriend. She will immediately get pissed off. Smash bros + girls just doesnt work, at all. I advise hiding smash bros if you have a girlfriend.

piZ

Smash Journeyman
Smash bros + girls just doesnt work, at all. I advise hiding smash bros if you have a girlfriend.
The last three times ladies have come over i've been playing smash with a friend.. I also ignore them until the match is over.

I'm a lady killer.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
I ended up getting my ex to like smash once I introduced her to all the technical stuff.
She thought it was just a ****-around fighting game that took absolutely no skill.
As well as the fact that I played it and she wanted in on tournies, 'cause she loves them for some reason. o_o;

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Enjoying some leisurely chaos...in New Jersey
She's part of our crew and destroys the majority of us 95 percent of the time. Curse Peach....

At least it helps with teamwork '-_-

I think we kinda just sucked her into the game though. We grew up on the same street and hung out for hours upon hours. One day when she came we were playing smash and she pretty much shrugged, gave it a shot, and liked it.

Wuss

Smash Champion
lol at crahsman. doesnt this thread make to assumptions that our society needs to stop making?
One: that we are all male.
Two: that we are all straight.
Just pointing this out...

Anyway, I am currently not involved with any of the female race and havent been since I started smash (more than friends anyway) but I would imagine that they dont like it so much, and dont appreciate that you like playing so much. I can also see that any girl that has any interest in video games would see it as cool and exciteing. So props to those that found girls that like video games!

smashbros909

Smash Apprentice
my girl friend doesnt even know i play play this every min im not with her. i dont think im going to tell her either...

Marth/Falco Pro

Smash Lord
my answer- my girlfriend thinks its kinda silly that i love this game so much, but she is a great person and respects my hobby. truthfully, liking basketball should be no more acceptable than ssbm. they are both silly games that usually are just for fun and wont get you anywhere in life. she realizes that i enjoy it, and she is happy that i am happy when i play it.

I do however try to make sure that i dont play it around her much, and that i dont talk about it much, since she really takes no interest in it. she has only seen me play once, and it was cuz her friend challenged me and i wiped the floor with him. but otherwise, i usually keep the two lives pretty separate. she doesnt play video games, so i dont force her. if she did take interest, i guess thatd be cool. but its not necessary.

as long as you pay enough attention to them, and they see that they come first, that is the most important thing. and if you do pay attention, and she still has a problem because of the social stigma there is in gaming, that she is immature and i wouldnt care to be with that type of person anyway.
Off topic but I totally agree, very intelligent post too(well intelligent in my eyes but eh, Im only 12, Im stupid xD) Anyways, I dont have a gf and Im not really interested in that stuff since Im only 12.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
My fiancee doesn't play smash herself, but she loves seeing me compete. She likes games like Goldeneye for N64. She will be okay with me attending tournaments after we're married, but obviously I won't be able to smash as much... :(

Se><bot

Smash Apprentice
Congrats Buzzsaw. On another note, if you are with someone who wants you to stop playing smash, or doing anything you enjoy (that isn't deadly to you) for that matter, you need to re-evaluate your situation.

Met

Smash Ace
My girlfriend doesnt really think she is second to a video game. I have been dating her for a year and like 4 months now. so dating and playing this game alot can work. you just have to be nice and charming. and not talk about smash around her all the time. unless she like splaying.

Harbinger

Smash Apprentice
We play together all the time. Though I have to take it easy cause she doesn't take the game seriously. Just likes to have good ol' fun. :)

Brookman

Smash Hero
last time I had a girlfriend she was all for me going out of state to tournaments to have fun...the one before her was pretty much the opposite, so naturally I had to chop her to bits with a steak knife. :grrr:

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Laura? Yeah, she doesn't know I play Smash competively lol. But she'll play a round or two with me sometimes :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom