• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What does Marth say when he counters?

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
k well, I found out what it is, so this is now a "List of Translations of What Marth Says" thread:

Counter (Down-B)
  • 「させるものか!」 "Saseru mono ka!" (As if I'd let you!)
  • 「見切った!」 "Mikitta!" (I saw through [your attack]!)
  • 「そこだ!」 "Soko da!" (There it is! / Got you! / etc)

Victory
  • 「今日も生き延びることが出来た。」 "Kyou mo ikinobiru koto ga dekita." (I was able to live on today, as well.)
  • 「今回は僕の勝ちだね?」 "Konkai wa boku no kachi da ne?" (This time it's my win, isn't it?)
  • 「僕は負けるわけにはいかないんだ。」 "Boku wa makeru wake ni wa ikanainda." (I can't afford to lose, you see.)

Taunt
  • 「みんな、見ていてくれ!」 "Minna, miteite kure!" (Everyone*, watch me!)
    * Presumably his party from Fire Emblem, not the Smash "crowd"

... I don't think I missed anything.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
That seems to be all of Marth's quotes.

The only translations I didn't understand prior to this would be his victory quotes.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
Bonus from Smashwiki:

In the master sound test room (that can be accessed through the debug menu), Marth has an additional phrase players can listen to that he does not say in the game: "レッツダンス!", which is a transcription into Japanese sounds of "Let's Dance!"

...The more you know.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
XD I never knew that.

Marth should be saying that when he's doing his forward B.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
That's really strange; Marth doesn't seem like the Engrish type at all.

As an extra bit of trivia, the voice of Roy is also the voice of Lelouch from Code Geass, and the voice of Marth is the voice of Li Xingke.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Wow.

Basically, Marth thinks he will die every single day.

I don't know if that's bada*s or not.
In Fire Emblem, a unit that dies can't fight anymore. If the lord dies, the game ends. >>

I've never seen the counter translated, though.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Woot, glad I finally know what he's saying.

Thanks so much.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Great, now I can try to imagine how he would sound in english.

*imagines*

(dang, Buzz posted 1 minute before me, I didn't see Q.Q)

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Ah, I translated these for the melee marth boards a couple of years ago (speaking japanese does have its advantages =P)
guess i was a few hrs too late...

but i can vouch for the OP and say that these are all correct...

Actually, marth dies a few times every match you play with him unless you win without losing a stock, so he shouldnt say that he lived, now should he..

I didnt know about the rettsu dansu thing, thats pretty interesting, lol..

and minna, miteite kure can also be translated to "watch out for me", except it usually wouldnt have the "Kure" at the end (which is like saying please)
Potential double meaning there.

∫unk

Smash Master
"Boku wa makeru wake ni wa ikanainda." (I can't afford to lose, you see.)

This is more.... (There's no way I can lose).

No mention of affording anything.

"Konkai wa boku no kachi da ne?" (This time it's my win, isn't it?)

I'm not sure where you got the question mark, but I've always thought no question mark so (This time it's my win).

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure you got the translation for "Soko da!" wrong. I've researched it and a more accurate translation is "OBJECTION!!!!." :p
... >___>

Don't confuse people.

"Boku wa makeru wake ni wa ikanainda." (I can't afford to lose, you see.)

This is more.... (There's no way I can lose).

No mention of affording anything.
Uh, no... He's saying that there is the possibility of him losing, but that he can't... afford to.
Compare to 「僕は負けられない」 and 「僕は負けるはずがない」

"Konkai wa boku no kachi da ne?" (This time it's my win, isn't it?)

I'm not sure where you got the question mark, but I've always thought no question mark so (This time it's my win).
First of all, it's translator preference and you're nitpicking. Second of all, question marks in Japanese aren't so much about questions as they are about tone of voice. If the tone of voice goes up, you can put a question mark. Example: 「あたし、7歳だよ?」 ("I'm 7 years old," with the implication of "you know?" or "why do you ask?")
As if that wasn't justification enough, 「ね』 is often accompanied by a question mark.

∫unk

Smash Master
... >___>

Don't confuse people.

Uh, no... He's saying that there is the possibility of him losing, but that he can't... afford to.
Compare to 「僕は負けられない」 and 「僕は負けるはずがない」

First of all, it's translator preference and you're nitpicking. Second of all, question marks in Japanese aren't so much about questions as they are about tone of voice. If the tone of voice goes up, you can put a question mark. Example: 「あたし、7歳だよ?」 ("I'm 7 years old," with the implication of "you know?" or "why do you ask?")
As if that wasn't justification enough, 「ね』 is often accompanied by a question mark.
Your first one in the comparison is "I can't lose" versus your second one which is "I shouldn't be able to lose", both of which aren't even the direct quote so I'm not sure why you're making a comparison to 2 similar but different phrases. lmk.

I was born and raised in Japan and am fluent in Japanese. My mom's a Japanese teacher. But honestly I don't really care what Marth is saying lmao.

Is someone questioning your translation automatically become nitpicking? I can't imagine how you react when you do a translation that's worth something.

Just saying if you want to do that as your business (since you seem to take this super seriously), you're going to need a more open mind.

But honestly I don't really are either way cause you're just a random scrub.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Meh, sorry. I didn't mean to come off as rude or anything.

I know he doesn't actually say anything about "to afford" but the way I understand it 「わけにはいかない」 means something CAN happen, but it would be really bad if it did so you can't let it. You translated it as "there's no way I can lose," which to me sounds more like there's no possibility of him losing. Am I incorrect?

I made the comparisons to the other two phrases to try to demonstrate the difference between can't (負けられない) and can't afford to (負けるわけにはいかない), and your suggestion of "no way I can lose" sounded more to me like 負けるはずがない.

As for the question mark thing, I guess I did go a little overboard but I still think it's a minor detail and up to translator preference.

Again, sorry for sounding like a jerk, it's just that your suggestions didn't sound right to me and I was trying to express my understanding of them. You also didn't mention you were fluent and you were using romaji so I (foolishly) assumed your skill level was lower than mine. Sorry.

Luminary

Smash Rookie
Cool! I always thought that he was saying "Mila! Miteite kure!" not "Minna, miteite kure!" Because one of the songs for the "Castle Siege" games is called "With Mila's Divine Protection (Celica Map 1)". So I just assumed that "Mila" was the Goddess from FE1. So I thought he was saying "Thank you, God", or praying or something. It's nice to know what he's actually saying. But it seems a bit... flashy.

A-Smol-Edge-Child

Smash Rookie
k well, I found out what it is, so this is now a "List of Translations of What Marth Says" thread:

Counter (Down-B)
  • 「させるものか!」 "Saseru mono ka!" (As if I'd let you!)
  • 「見切った!」 "Mikitta!" (I saw through [your attack]!)
  • 「そこだ!」 "Soko da!" (There it is! / Got you! / etc)
Victory
  • 「今日も生き延びることが出来た。」 "Kyou mo ikinobiru koto ga dekita." (I was able to live on today, as well.)
  • 「今回は僕の勝ちだね?」 "Konkai wa boku no kachi da ne?" (This time it's my win, isn't it?)
  • 「僕は負けるわけにはいかないんだ。」 "Boku wa makeru wake ni wa ikanainda." (I can't afford to lose, you see.)
Taunt
  • 「みんな、見ていてくれ!」 "Minna, miteite kure!" (Everyone*, watch me!)
    * Presumably his party from Fire Emblem, not the Smash "crowd"
... I don't think I missed anything.
hECK i was actually looking for this so i could do a cosplay; thank you friend now i just need the sword

Top Bottom