• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Does Link Look More Like in WiiU?

What does Link look more like in SSB4 Wii U Edition?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Well, Nintendo said that the model is a bit sharper than last time. Look at a side-by-side comparison of Brawl's and SSB4's Link.

Also, Ghirahim is a highly requested character, Wariofan1, and even then, Demise is the CLOSEST thing to SS's version of Ganondorf.

But back to Link, I did find differences between Brawl and Smash 4's:
-Sharper Models (As explained on the top of the message)
-Vibrancy of the colors being close to Skyward Sword's
-The length of the sword being longer*
-Link's hair length AND color**

*Note: Compare it to the size of Link. See, Sm4sh's goes up to Link's chest, while Brawl's goes up to Link's waist.

**Note 2: Link's hair IS Longer, and it looks more BROWN than dirty blonde. Skyward Sword is the same, more Brown than dirty blonde.

I understand why some people still say that it's not BOTH.

For the sword size, you're imagining it. Both of them go to Link's waist. You could measure this image and they'd be almost exactly the same(with any minute pixel difference resulting from minutely differing sword angles). And no, it's no more brown than TP. You've likely been looking at stages with dark lighting to give you this impression. As to hair length, all of them have hair reaching from the cap's edge to his eye. Any difference at least in this image is a result of two things- the SSB4 one is in the act of moving, billowing his hair out a little from the side of his head, and the SS one shows more of his hair due to a very different hair angle. Everything is sharper and more vibrant- it's the art style in this game, not something exclusive to SS Link.

Groose

Smash Champion
In my opinion, he's a lighter, brighter version of the Hero of Twilight. Even so, the fact that he's lighter and brighter (coupled with the chainmail and a few other minor tweaks) means that he is at least partially influenced by his Skyward Sword look.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I have to say, I just don't get how this is even a discussion to people who've looked at the pictures closely. It's clearly Twilight Princess Link with the colors saturated to match the style of the upcoming Smash Bros.
I know what you mean, i suppose some people for whatever reason just cant differentiate design differences (or design alltogether), it bugs the hell out of me when they cant either.

The Hooded Informant

Banned via Warnings

For the sword size, you're imagining it. Both of them go to Link's waist. You could measure this image and they'd be almost exactly the same(with any minute pixel difference resulting from minutely differing sword angles). And no, it's no more brown than TP. You've likely been looking at stages with dark lighting to give you this impression. As to hair length, all of them have hair reaching from the cap's edge to his eye. Any difference at least in this image is a result of two things- the SSB4 one is in the act of moving, billowing his hair out a little from the side of his head, and the SS one shows more of his hair due to a very different hair angle. Everything is sharper and more vibrant- it's the art style in this game, not something exclusive to SS Link.
Actually, look at the IN-GAME Sword sizes. The art might look the same, but IN-GAME, they are different.

When I am talking about Hair Length, look at the BACK OF LINK'S HEAD, NOT THE FRONT.

Lastly, DO NOT COMPARE ARTWORK! COMPARE IN-GAME IMAGES!

The Hooded Informant

Banned via Warnings
Wow, you must be blind to not see that the Link's in-game appearance and artwork is the SAME for Brawl and Smash 4.
The sword in both games ARE NOT the same size, though. They both are FAR different. The CLOSEST you can even get to Brawl and Sm4sh's Link being the EXACT SAME is the 3DS version.

If we compare in-game models of the Master sword in all 3 games, the Master Sword is the same in the 3DS version and Brawl, NOT the Wii U version and Brawl.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The sword in both games ARE NOT the same size, though. They both are FAR different. The CLOSEST you can even get to Brawl and Sm4sh's Link being the EXACT SAME is the 3DS version.

If we compare in-game models of the Master sword in all 3 games, the Master Sword is the same in the 3DS version and Brawl, NOT the Wii U version and Brawl.
Lol, You completely missed the point. :p

I was comparing Link's Brawl artwork to his in-game model in Brawl, which are the exact same. Similarly for Smash 4.

To make it clearer, I was responding to your post where you said we should not compare the artworks, but their in-game models. It doesn't matter either way, because the artwork and in-game models look the same.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Why is this still an argument anyway? It's clearly the Brawl/TP design of Link who is playable in Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS. If the Tunic and everything didn't make it obvious enough, the fact he still uses the same bow and bombs as well as having the exact same voice from TP and Brawl should have made it obvious enough they didn't change him into the SS design. >_>

The fact he looks brighter is because the entire game has headed towards more primary colours as Sakurai stated. Everyone else have been brightened up as well.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I'd like to see what this Link looks like as Dark Link, and I also can't wait to see him in his blue tunic.

XMS

Smash Rookie
mmm looks like a twilight princess model w/ skyward sword textures lol

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Personally, I love the new Link look. The mix of several games makes the design a win for me. :)

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
You all are comparing Sm4sh Link to Brawl Link and saying it's TP Link. Brawl Link does look a lot like TP Link, but there are some minor differences. Brawl Link has lighter blond hair than TP Link and had Navi, like OoT Link. This suggests that Brawl Link is based off TP and OoT Link, but looks more like TP Link because it's a more realistic design. TP Link and SS Link actually have about the same color hair (dirty blond/light brown). I'd say that Sm4sh Link is basically just supposed to represent a general realistic "Link" rather than a specific one. So, I think Sm4sh Link is based primarily off Brawl Link (which is based off TP Link). However, the colors are brighter, possibly to make him more similar to SS Link and OoT Link.

Over all, Sm4sh Link looks like a general adult Link, mainly the one from artwork (he looks a lot like the artwork for OoT, TP, and SS, which all have that sharp, mature look to him). However, he does look most like TP Link, but only because he's based off Brawl Link, who's based mostly off TP Link.

Also, does he still have the Gale Boomerang? It was only present in one game, but he didn't have any kind of boomerang in SS either.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
SS Link looks like TP Link.
Smash4 Link looks more like the first SS trailer or even the "hero" of the SS manga.

Morbi

Scavenger
We are still discussing this? Link is Link. It is obviously predominately based on the Brawl/TP Link, but there are certainly elements of SS Link in the picture (namely the pallet). It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, it isn't like he is going to get a game specific item that alters his move-set.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I think that it is the Link to be used in Zelda U. What boosts this theory is that in the developer direct, they had Link, Samus, & Pit all lined up. He started to talk about how Samus had been modeled off of Other M, & how Pit was taken from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Why did they have Link there if they weren't going to talk about his design choices? I think that they were going to say that it was from Zelda U, but didn't want to draw attention from WWHD/ALBW. I understand why some people say it looks like TP Link. It might be that as well, as 'TP2' is highly requested.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I find it hard to believe this is actually an argument. Kerfuffle Link is obviously TP Link.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Tsk you guys. Smash Wii U Link is obviously based on Skyward Sword Link, Just like Toon Link is obviously based on A Link Between Worlds Link. :smirk:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I think that it is the Link to be used in Zelda U. What boosts this theory is that in the developer direct, they had Link, Samus, & Pit all lined up. He started to talk about how Samus had been modeled off of Other M, & how Pit was taken from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Why did they have Link there if they weren't going to talk about his design choices? I think that they were going to say that it was from Zelda U, but didn't want to draw attention from WWHD/ALBW. I understand why some people say it looks like TP Link. It might be that as well, as 'TP2' is highly requested.
I was also hoping that the reason they really didn't talk about Link at all was because they hadn't finished balancing (and by balancing I mean buffing) or changing him yet.

Honestly I could not care less WHICH he looks like as long as he looks good, so I guess my vote is for "both." He has the boots and face and tunic of TP but the ringmail under his tunic is from SS and his hair is lighter. In the end, though, it's just Smash Link (which will always be its own thing) so it doesn't really matter.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I was also hoping that the reason they really didn't talk about Link at all was because they hadn't finished balancing (and by balancing I mean buffing) or changing him yet.

Honestly I could not care less WHICH he looks like as long as he looks good, so I guess my vote is for "both." He has the boots and face and tunic of TP but the ringmail under his tunic is from SS and his hair is lighter. In the end, though, it's just Smash Link (which will always be its own thing) so it doesn't really matter.
Makes sense. The way I see it, Link in a Smash game is to represent ALL of Link's versions throughout the games. Obviously though, you can only design one Link, and so far, they have done what is feasible/possible with their current hardware. When Melee and Smash 64 came out, they pretty much had just the Hero of Time to model him after, so they did. Then with Brawl, they used his TP model because it was more recent/looked cleaner. I imagine they will use Zelda U's general model for Smash, but as always, he will still retain things from all Link's ever, like his Up-Air, Down-Air, & specials. Whatever Zelda U's model looks like, it will probably just get in for being the most "recent." The Skyward Sword model, while good, just doesn't seem to hit that "fighter" vibe for me. Course, we could all be wrong, as everything about Smash 4 is subject to change...

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I suppose it is true that they would "update" Smash Link to be more congruent with whichever is the more current link, though it's not going to be as necessary since the differences between the Links are going to be much smaller than the huge gap between OoT Link and TP Link. They kind of had to use TP Link when making Brawl but I'm not so certain they really need to use SS Link or ZU Link for SSB4; that said, however, I like the idea of this model hinting at a future WiiU Zelda game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
TP Link and SS Link looked quite a lot alike anyway. And he has SS Link's color pattern.

Anything can still happen for Zelda and Ganondorf I really don't see what all this is about.

Impa

Spire

III
BRoomer
This Link is 100% influenced by his Twilight Princess incarnation and 0% influenced by his Skyward Sword incarnation. The vibrancy of his palette is part of the universal aesthetic of Smash 4 and has nothing to do with Skyward Sword's saturation. I've gone on and on about this subject before. Every facet of his appearance is based on his Brawl/TP incarnation. There is nothing borrowed from SS Link. Nothing. Any similarities existed between SS and TP Link, before he was revealed for Smash 4 at E3 2013. That said, he looks very different in these two images, though I'm sure it has everything to do with lighting and angle:

I'm still baffled that some people think this resembles Skyward Sword Link. It's rather curious to me—that people can see it so differently. It's curious because it brings to mind the varied perceptions we all have of the world. The way I see it: this Link is an evolution of Brawl Link, which was entirely based on Twilight Link. They managed to avoid Skyward Link completely when designing him for SSB4, perhaps for reasons currently unknown (The Legend of Zelda U could expand on the TP aesthetic, considering the E3 2012 tech demo). I enjoy both the TP and SS Link designs, and would have enjoyed seeing the latter in smash, but there's no denying from my end that this takes not a leaf from his design whatsoever. SSB4 Link, when compared to all incarnations from the Legend of Zelda series, is—and only is—based on Twilight Princess Link. I'd rather not make up a giant pictoral diagram explaining "why" in meticulous detail, so I'll end this now.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I agree, I don't see how it even hints at an SS look, & it's clearly inspired from TP, but it still could be from Zelda U, since we still know next to nothing about it. Maybe it's going to be a sequel to TP, & that's why this style is kept, maybe they think this style just fits in Smash 4 well(which it does), so they kept it. Maybe this is just a placeholder until they officially reveal Zelda U(which I doubt is the case, but it's possible). Also, there's a possibility of him having alternate costumes to give him an OoT/SS look, with this being his "official," default model. This is all conjecture, but that's about all we have to go on at this point, until Sakurai tells us more/releases the game.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Link's appearance in the Zelda Wii U tech demo, while also based on his TP design, is different from his SSB4 design. It's curious. We technically have five different Link designs surrounding Twilight Princess:
  • Twilight Princess (Link's Crossbow Training) Link
  • Brawl Link
  • Wii U Tech Demo Link
  • SSB4 Link (Wii U)
  • SSB4 Link (3DS)
Each is slightly different, but they're all generally the same. They possess the same traits, while they differ in execution. It all begins with Twilight Princess Link. Brawl Link differed in very slight ways: if you compare their texture files, you'll find Brawl's to be differently saturated in places, such as hair and tunic color. The Master Sword is also much smaller in Brawl. Aside from advanced shaders emphasizing folds in fabric and material, forming crisper highlights and softer gradients, The Wii U Tech Demo Link has sculpted platinum-blonde hair, while SSB4 Link (Wii U version) has thin, brown-blonde wispy hair with an emphasis on individual strands. Conversely, his 3DS counterpart resembles his Brawl appearance, albeit with a lower polygonal count.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Now that I think of it, do you guys think that the new Zelda game will be a sequel of TP since Sakurai always uses the newer models of Zelda characters and we have Twilight Princessy Link and Zelda?

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Now that I think of it, do you guys think that the new Zelda game will be a sequel of TP since Sakurai always uses the newer models of Zelda characters and we have Twilight Princessy Link and Zelda?
This has been touched on a few times in this thread, but it doesn't seem anyone has openly discussed it for very long. I think it's entirely possible, especially since a Twilight Princess sequel is highly requested among the Zelda fanbase. Personally, I would love to see a TP sequel, only it takes place mostly in the Twilight Realm, expanding it so that we can see more of it than that terrifying dungeon Zant called his palace.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Then again, Sakurai never used any Zelda models from a Zelda game that hasn't yet been revealed.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I think they just used the tp designs because ganondorf doesn't have a ss design so it would just be easier to leave it as is

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think they just used the tp designs because ganondorf doesn't have a ss design so it would just be easier to leave it as is
Yeah, but Ganondorf's most recent design is technically his WW appearance, so you know, if we get that it'll be super awesome.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Yeah, but Ganondorf's most recent design is technically his WW appearance, so you know, if we get that it'll be super awesome.
I think they'd want the 3 main zelda characters to have designs from the same game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom