• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Does Link Look More Like in WiiU?

What does Link look more like in SSB4 Wii U Edition?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hooded Informant

Banned via Warnings
Me and a few people are having this fight on what Link looks like more of in the Wii U version of Sm4sh.

Tell me, does he look like his Skyward Sword appearance?
Does he look like his Twilight Princess Appearance?
Does he look like both?

Vote now.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
At least give him credit for making a thread that doesn't have something to do with creepypasta. :p
I actually somewhat know him from a cp chatroom. We were discussing Link's appearance in Sm4sh, I kept showing him pictures showing the obvious small details in the shield, stitches, etc. that show it is in fact TP Link. Yet he was in some sort of denial about it and came to make a poll, even though this is hardly such a big deal.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I actually somewhat know him from a cp chatroom. We were discussing Link's appearance in Sm4sh, I kept showing him pictures showing the obvious small details in the shield, stitches, etc. that show it is in fact TP Link. Yet he was in some sort of denial about it and came to make a poll, even though this is hardly such a big deal.
I actually thought it was Skyward Sword Link at first, but at least I realized it wasn't the same design when I got a good look at him. The coloration was what threw me off.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am actually holding a theory that he is the next gen Link in the game being developed currently. I think he looks more like TP though.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I actually thought it was Skyward Sword Link at first, but at least I realized it wasn't the same design when I got a good look at him. The coloration was what threw me off.
The colour was his main argument, but everyone in Sm4sh got brighter, so it isn't much of one. The main giveaway is the fact that SS Link is right handed and this one is a classic lefty.

I am actually holding a theory that he is the next gen Link in the game being developed currently. I think he looks more like TP though.
I actually have a theory that it is TP 2, people don't expect the next Zelda to look like the tech demo they showed due to the WW incident with that one tech demo, so Miyamoto showed a TP looking demo so people won't be expecting a game that looks like it. Sm4sh Link keeping his TP design further helps my theory.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This post by Spire is relevant to this thread. I personally found this very convincing.
In case you forgot the differences, here's an image showing the three side-by-side:

SSB4 Link borrows heavily from TP Link, more than any other incarnation in the series. The vibrancy of his clothing, as Sakurai said in the Developer Direct when speaking of Mario, was to focus on the visual sharpness. His face is different from Brawl's Link, possessing sharper features—but look at all his gear. The Master Sword is definitely the TP-style silver versus SS's blue, the Hylian Shield is TP-style (it has the metal frame around the Triforce which is clasped by ornate markings, along with those metal shapes at the base of the bird, whereas SS Hylian Shield has neither); his boots possess the same markings and are slender and longer—and the most obvious: he doesn't have SS Link's lofty pants. His clothing is much more tight-fitted than SS Link's. The tail of his hat even has that stitched on extension that is characteristic of TP Link. Furthermore, his left arm has the brown leather armguard, while SS Link simply had a blue bracer. He has the same collar stitching as TP Link and a rectangular belt-buckle, not a hexagonal one. His chainmail is also gold-tinted, not obviously silver.

I hope you can see the similarities and differences. There's no denying this Link references TP Link more than any other.

Morbi

Scavenger
The only thing I don't like is that this might hurt Skyward Sword Zelda's chances. That would be a tragedy...

I actually don't really care what Link design they pick. They will never be Ocarina (good bye 64 and Melee).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm hoping for OoT or Oracle Zelda, actually. Easily my favourite Zelda design in the series.

•Col•

Smash Champion
As much as I wanted Skyward Sword Link, it's pretty obvious that's not what we got. It looks good anyway, though.
^This.

Other than the lips of Skyward Sword Link, I really enjoyed his design. But the Smash 4 Link model is quite clearly taking many inspirations from Brawl Link, which was based off of TP Link, only had the his colors saturated more to fit more with Smash 4's artstyle which overall is using brighter colors.

EDIT: And someone pointed out that they might not use SS Zelda.......... Which makes me sad because I absolutely loved her SS design. D:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
They could always do alternate costumes, Sakurai said they would take away from the character, but all you'd be doing is turning her from one Zelda into another, so it really wouldn't take away anything in this case. Twilight Zelda was my favorite design of her anyway, with her OoT (young) incarnation at a close second. Maybe something similar with Link, he already had a Dark Link alt, and Toon Link had the classic colour scheme. Link could have his OoT design as an alt, and it could have different colours as well, like Wario's second costume set. Of course throw Ganondorf in as well with his multiple incarnations as alts.

Morbi

Scavenger
They could always do alternate costumes, Sakurai said they would take away from the character, but all you'd be doing is turning her from one Zelda into another, so it really wouldn't take away anything in this case. Twilight Zelda was my favorite design of her anyway, with her OoT (young) incarnation at a close second. Maybe something similar with Link, he already had a Dark Link alt, and Toon Link had the classic colour scheme. Link could have his OoT design as an alt, and it could have different colours as well, like Wario's second costume set. Of course throw Ganondorf in as well with his multiple incarnations as alts.
Ganondorf and Zelda/Sheik also had a classic color scheme. It isn't the color scheme that I like though. I just like SS Zelda more than the other ones. She was the first Zelda that I actually WANTED to save. She had so much more personality than most incarnations. So it wouldn't be the same to have the TP design. I actually though TP had the WORST Zelda. Her design was OK... but Midna felt like the more important princess. TP Zelda felt like Sleeping Beauty or Rapunzel stuck in a castle. Most other Zelda's actually do something.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, the fact that some people still like to insist that Smash Wii U Link is SS Link despite that it clearly is TP/Brawl Link... :diddy:

If Toon Link returned. Would people also insist that he is just a funny looking Classic Link? :rolleyes:

I mean don't get me wrong. I was also kinda hoping for the SS designs (Mainly for Zelda) but it looks like that that's not happening so we might as well just accept it.... Unless of course they become alternate costumes which I will be all for it.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Ganondorf and Zelda/Sheik also had a classic color scheme. It isn't the color scheme that I like though. I just like SS Zelda more than the other ones. She was the first Zelda that I actually WANTED to save. She had so much more personality than most incarnations. So it wouldn't be the same to have the TP design. I actually though TP had the WORST Zelda. Her design was OK... but Midna felt like the more important princess. TP Zelda felt like Sleeping Beauty or Rapunzel stuck in a castle. Most other Zelda's actually do something.
That's why I said alternate costume, her colours wouldn't just change to match, but her entire outfit, and the alternate outfit would also have different colour swaps ala overalls Wario. This wouldn't change the character or their moves, mind. I'd rather hope every character has an alternate costume if they can actually.

I do agree however, that I loved how close Link and Zelda were in SS, but I meant that I prefer Twilight Zelda visual wise, not that Skyward Zelda isn't cute too.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I honestly think it's SS Link with the nuances that TP Link had. Would they have to make his model less detailed in order for it to resemble SS Link?

It looks more like TP Link. But I believe it's essentially SS Link.

The Hooded Informant

Banned via Warnings
Hey guys, have you seen Link's appearance in the 3DS version of the game? It looks no where NEAR the Wii U Versions, despite the fact that the other characters look virtually the same from both versions.

Also, Link's appearance in this game may be based off of early Skyward Sword Concept Art, as in the Hyrule Historia, you see concept art with Link that looks heavily like the Sm4sh Link.

The best way to determine if it's either Twilight Princess or BOTH, is by seeing the Side Special of Link. If it's Boomerang, it goes to TP, but if it's Beetle, it means that Link is based on BOTH Twilight Princess AND Skyward Sword.

But if we knew Link's Side Special, we would SURELY know what it was based from...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Hey guys, have you seen Link's appearance in the 3DS version of the game? It looks no where NEAR the Wii U Versions, despite the fact that the other characters look virtually the same from both versions.

Also, Link's appearance in this game may be based off of early Skyward Sword Concept Art, as in the Hyrule Historia, you see concept art with Link that looks heavily like the Sm4sh Link.

The best way to determine if it's either Twilight Princess or BOTH, is by seeing the Side Special of Link. If it's Boomerang, it goes to TP, but if it's Beetle, it means that Link is based on BOTH Twilight Princess AND Skyward Sword.

But if we knew Link's Side Special, we would SURELY know what it was based from...

Why would that convince people when seeing his TP bombs hasn't?

And I'm not sure I understand what you see as different between the Wii Link and the 3DS version.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
He thinks it's different due to a slightly off colour scheme (likely due to the stage lighting) and the outline (which every character has). Link also has some over exaggerated features, but this is because the game is on a tiny screen, so you would need to see him better. Honestly, they look exactly the same, he thinks that because one is HD and the other is small and hard to see, that there is some big difference. If the bombs and the bow aren't enough then he's just in some kind of denial.

The Hooded Informant

Banned via Warnings
Hmm...let me compare, since I have amazing vision, apparently...
Seriously, these two images are LARGE ENOUGH TO COMPARE!

-For one, see how the 3DS Link has less strands of hair sticking out?
-Another thing, the color of the Master Sword's HILT is different in shade, as well.
-Also, look at how Link's pants are much BAGGIER in the Wii U Version, yet they look like TIGHTS in the 3DS Version.
-The size of the patch on the 3DS version is also larger than the Wii U version.
-The size of the Master Sword, when compared by Link's legs, is larger in the Wii U version.
-Link's hair is slightly larger in the Wii U version.
-Link looks A LOT like his Brawl/Twilight Princess form in the 3DS version, and more like his SS form in Wii U. Other characters do not look like their Brawl versions in the 3DS version. He is the only character to have these differences.
-The Wii U version might just look like a "Smashified" version of Skyward Sword's Link, with leftovers of Brawl's Link's design.

I can give more reasons than just this on how this Link looks different between versions. Both of the images above seem to look like they are in HD.

But necessarily, I can't decide what Link really looks like in the Wii U game. Only Sakurai can.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Twilight Princess model + Tunic colors half way between Twilight(dull) and Skyward(vibrant) + Hair color half way between Twilight(blonde) and Skyward(brown) + Longer hair.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I'm kinda at a loss as to why it would really matter which Link it's supposed to be. I agree though it does look much more TP Link than SS but on the other hand we've seen there is already a SS stage so it's not like they are ignoring SS as a game or something. It makes sense to me that they would use TP Link in this case anyways since SS link is a cel shaded and using him as a base but making him not cel shaded would look kind silly, just like Toon Link looked a little silly when not cel shaded. However Toon Links features were weird/exaggerated enough that it didn't really matter. I'm kind of indifferent to which Zelda they use, while I did like SS Zelda more because she did have a lot of personality, a characters personality doesn't matter much to me in Smash. It also seems harder to imagine SS Zelda fighting (and more so getting hit) as I remember her being more peaceful iirc. TP Zelda draws her sword when Zant attacks and helps fight Ganondorf in final battle. That's not to say she can't fight it would just seem weird. I guess we'll see though.

The Hooded Informant

Banned via Warnings
Look, all I know is that Link's base colors look more like SS's.
In fact, this could be, in a sense, what Skyward Sword's Link WOULD look like IF he was realistic.
Note the color of his hair and clothes.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I have to say, I just don't get how this is even a discussion to people who've looked at the pictures closely. It's clearly Twilight Princess Link with the colors saturated to match the style of the upcoming Smash Bros. game. It's not even that the colors match Skyward Sword Link's, because they still don't.

Sakurai flat out talks about in a video how he's adjusting all of the characters' colors to be closer to primary colors, and this Link is just the Link from Brawl (Twilight Princess design) being updated into the current Smash style, just how Brawl muted character colors.

The Hooded Informant

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai might put characters more toward Prime Colors, but there are certain characters in which he made look like their recent appearances. Look at Pit and Bowser for example. They look like Uprising's Pit (obviously) and the more recent Mario games's Bowser. So it can go to say that Link could have been just the very same as them, changed to a different color/model (which you can clearly see that Link has a sharper face and his ears are even shorter than last time. His model, when compared to Brawl and the 3DS game, is obviously different.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
They look nothing alike. Literally nothing alike. There is no comparison. How does this look like Skyward Sword Link to you? You're grasping for straws here. Even the colours are still closer to Twilight Princess.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Um, let's see. TP and SSB4 Link have white tights. SS has brown tights. TP and SSB4 Link have the same hair and hair colour. TP and SSB4 have the same shield design. they have the same sheath design. They have the same bomb design. They have the same sword design.

There is no similarity whatsoever between Skyward Sword Link and SSB4 Link. Why the hell are you so desperate for it to be Skyward Sword Link? You know what, since you're so obsessed with claiming it's SS Link, let's play a different game and point out the differences between SSB4 and TP Link. I ****ign dare you to find even one difference between them, since you're so blind to the differences between SS Link and SSB4 Link.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
The one color difference from TP to SSB4 other than general vibrancy tweaks is the green of his tunic and cap, which has a more bluish tone. But that's very slight, and SS is no more bluish than TP, which means the colors are no closer to SS than they are to TP. They only look closer because they took the TP model from Brawl and increased the vibrancy. The only other changes are much more detailed, possibly longer hair and a less rounded face, both of which are not shared in the SS model either. They pretty clearly did very minuscule edits.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I just think he looks like standard Link. Like if you think about Link, the Smash Link is the one that pops up. And this is true for all chars in the games, I'd say.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't see anything regarding the SS design here, it's nothing more than an updated version of the Brawl model, and it is so in both versions. Believing anything else after reading this thread is just being in denial. It's like saying that Samus' new model isn't based off of Other M just because they made small adjustments to it and saturated the colors, there's bound to be some changes when characters have to leap in-between games with different art styles, Link is no exception to that.

They probably went with the TP design again to match Ganondorf with the rest of the cast, since he wasn't present in SS. They're likely not adding any new Zelda characters from SS either, if anything it's more possible that they'll be removing one.

The Hooded Informant

Banned via Warnings
Well, Nintendo said that the model is a bit sharper than last time. Look at a side-by-side comparison of Brawl's and SSB4's Link.

Also, Ghirahim is a highly requested character, Wariofan1, and even then, Demise is the CLOSEST thing to SS's version of Ganondorf.

But back to Link, I did find differences between Brawl and Smash 4's:
-Sharper Models (As explained on the top of the message)
-Vibrancy of the colors being close to Skyward Sword's
-The length of the sword being longer*
-Link's hair length AND color**

*Note: Compare it to the size of Link. See, Sm4sh's goes up to Link's chest, while Brawl's goes up to Link's waist.

**Note 2: Link's hair IS Longer, and it looks more BROWN than dirty blonde. Skyward Sword is the same, more Brown than dirty blonde.

I understand why some people still say that it's not BOTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom